Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My place has vinyl or laminate hardwood floors. I have an office chair on a mat right now to protect it but I don't like it. Would it be better to get a rug to cover the space or just get some rubber or other type of casters for the chair? I'm thinking the rubber would be much gentler on the flooring than the standard plastic ones it has right now but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

My place has vinyl or laminate hardwood floors. I have an office chair on a mat right now to protect it but I don't like it. Would it be better to get a rug to cover the space or just get some rubber or other type of casters for the chair? I'm thinking the rubber would be much gentler on the flooring than the standard plastic ones it has right now but I'm not sure.

My vote is for the new rubber casters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hard floor wheels (which are soft) made a huge difference to my chair when I put them on, I didn't buy the exact ones for the chair but there's only a finite number of pin sizes and I think I only spent £40 on the whole set. It also rolls almost silently now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How are SecretLab chairs? rip off or good enough?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a barely used Staples Hykken for $80 last year and I like it enough (breathable mesh, headrest is good for watching videos) but it doesn’t seem as good as my Aeron B size at the office. It could just be in my head, but I think the Aeron is roomier and the armrests are much nicer. Should I look at getting a used Aeron + headrest? I know the Steelcase Leap V2 is also recommended but I worry about foam compressing over time since I’m 6’1 225 lb. My work is offering a $300 reimbursement for telework-related purchases, and I could kick in some money to up the budget to $500.

Alternatively I could get a new desk or 27” 1440p 144Hz monitor. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 9, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That probably depends; I haven't sat in one so I don't know. I think there's a lot of shadiness about reviews online. I WANT to like them because of their knee-tilt mechanism, but without sitting in one it's hard for me to say. Though, I guess if you post a pic of it online you can extend the 3-year warranty to 5-year? I'm not sure how easy the warranty is to use, but a 5-year warranty for a $400 probably isn't *terrible*.

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a barely used Staples Hykken for $80 last year and I like it enough (breathable mesh, headrest is good for watching videos) but it doesn’t seem as good as my Aeron B size at the office. It could just be in my head, but I think the Aeron is roomier and the armrests are much nicer. Should I look at getting a used Aeron + headrest? I know the Steelcase Leap V2 is also recommended but I worry about foam compressing over time since I’m 6’1 225 lb. My work is offering a $300 reimbursement for telework-related purchases, and I could kick in some money to up the budget to $500.

Alternatively I could get a new desk or 27” 1440p 144Hz monitor. :v:

Heh, well, desk vs. monitor vs. chair, I guess that depends on how uncomfortable your desk/chair/monitor is to use, haha.

That being said, if you know you like the Aeron, you probably can't go wrong with getting one!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought one on black friday. It feels adequate? Gets used a lot, still very solid. No squeaks or wobbles. Looks brand new.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wasabi the J posted:

It's impressive. The base is steel so it feels solid as hell.

The recline is adjustable, and my only issue is the tension isn't as light as I want it, but only just. Everything else is great.

The chair arrived and I'm in love. Thanks again for your post, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I was bummed because there was no headrest, and the whole reason why I went to Newegg to begin with was because it looked like it included it for the same price as Amazon. Turns out it was in the package room in a separate smaller package :sweatdrop:

It passes the Finn test :hmmyes:

(This jerk would sit in my old chair and literally wrap himself around the arms when I tried to pry him out of it. The secondary benefit of this chair is there's no closed loop on the arms so he can't do that to me anymore. Jerkass cat.)

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 10, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

The chair arrived and I'm in love. Thanks again for your post, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I was bummed because there was no headrest, and the whole reason why I went to Newegg to begin with was because it looked like it included it for the same price as Amazon. Turns out it was in the package room in a separate smaller package :sweatdrop:

It passes the Finn test :hmmyes:

(This jerk would sit in my old chair and literally wrap himself around the arms when I tried to pry him out of it. The secondary benefit of this chair is there's no closed loop on the arms so he can't do that to me anymore. Jerkass cat.)

Nice! Which chair is that again? One of the Autonomous ones? I clicked back through the quote history a couple times but didn't see the name of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zarin posted:

Nice! Which chair is that again? One of the Autonomous ones? I clicked back through the quote history a couple times but didn't see the name of it.

Oh sorry, it's the CLATINA Ergonomic High Swivel Executive Chair. Looks like it's on sale on Amazon right now too! I forgot to mention in my last post how easy this thing was to assemble, too. I've assembled my fair share of office chairs through the years and this was by far the easiest. The seat part was all already assembled, and the back slotted into it and secured in place with two screws. Everything else just snapped together and I was done in minutes.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Has anyone used a steelcase series 1? I like the way it looks and the price, and the feature set looks good, but sometimes the entry level products of premium brands aren't amazing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
thanks to a combination of lovely tiny NYC apartments, all office furniture in the world being backordered, and needing to work for 8 hours a day in relative privacy in my room, I've now got a comically small "standing desk" setup assembled on top of my dresser. I've been looking for some kind of standing desk "seating" to go along with it

does anyone have experience with leaning stools for standing desks? mostly looking for something to take pressure off my knees - I've actually got a standing desk mat so my feet are fine, but after a week of using this for 4-5 hours a day my knees are pretty ache-y. was looking at this fully one but I guess Fully is one of those companies that just gets white labeled furniture and then spams review blogs with bullshit and I can't find any actual reviews from people who have actually, uh, used one. budget is something like <$200, since I'm hoping this is a relatively short-term situation (not so much that I'm expecting to go back to the office but that I'm hopefully moving apartments in a few months).

because this poo poo is built on top of a dresser, I've got the caveat that anything built with the expectation that I'd be putting my feet under the desk isn't viable. I was also thinking of just getting, like, a regular stool, that has a foot ring to put your feet on, or even a drafting chair like this (though I'm wary of any high chair that has wheels on it since it seems like a good way to horribly injure myself).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

amitlu posted:

I had a Leap but was disappointed in how hard the seat was and had to return it. Got an Aeron and have been really happy since. I also added a headrest to it that I bought off Ebay.

Hard agree, but I dealt with it since I was too lazy to drive 90 minutes to return it, I'm mostly used to it now and like it, my main complaint is the arm rests, I really wish they had a horizontal lock instead always being in "air hockey mode"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/LogitechG/status/1286001836223352832

$1500

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

So it's . . . just an Embody?

I mean, it's still probably better than most "gaming" chairs out there, except . . . I didn't like the embody I sat in :(

Unless that little twist-arm can tighten up how stiff the upper back is, because the one thing I didn't like about it was how the chair just didn't support my upper back when I leaned back; it just sorta flexed at the joints and let me go farther back than I would consider normal.

I can't tell for sure, but at least it looks like it's a black fabric rather than polyurethane leather.

Too bad, though, I was really looking for some sort of off-the-wall design from this.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

So Logitech brought the branding and Herman Miller brought the price tag, gotcha.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

EoRaptor posted:

So Logitech brought the branding and Herman Miller brought the price tag, gotcha.

Except for whatever reason I can get HM chairs for significantly less than the MSRP on HM's website from my local dealer.

Somehow, I doubt they will be a source for this chair lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably this Logitech collaboration also uses materials that are allowed to go into a residential environment. I think some of the issue with office furniture suppliers not wanting to sell chairs to end users for home offices is that the materials don't pass the flammability tests that things going into a house need to, in exchange for (presumably) being harder wearing or easier to clean as the idea is they will get used more in an office.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zarin posted:

I mean, it's still probably better than most "gaming" chairs out there, except . . . I didn't like the embody I sat in :(

Unless that little twist-arm can tighten up how stiff the upper back is, because the one thing I didn't like about it was how the chair just didn't support my upper back when I leaned back; it just sorta flexed at the joints and let me go farther back than I would consider normal.

I can't tell for sure, but at least it looks like it's a black fabric rather than polyurethane leather.

Too bad, though, I was really looking for some sort of off-the-wall design from this.

Yep, my understanding is that it's just a branded Embody with a new seatback. Maybe the colors are unique to it, not sure, but yep.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Zarin posted:

Wait so when you tried it, you set up everything for your body, right? You did the chair setup?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Wait so when you tried it, you set up everything for your body, right? You did the chair setup?

The salesman did not do that, no. What was there to set up? :ohdear:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hah, oh man.

I mean basically the whole point of the embody is you need to set everything for your body including the dynamic back settings.

https://grshop.com/pdf/herman_miller/Embody_Chairs_adjustment.pdf

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Hah, oh man.

I mean basically the whole point of the embody is you need to set everything for your body including the dynamic back settings.

https://grshop.com/pdf/herman_miller/Embody_Chairs_adjustment.pdf

It's quite possible my sales guy was being lazy that day . . . I think the chair he showed me was some employee's chair, because they didn't actually have a show model at that time.

Yeah, all I remember was that the upper portion of the back was a little TOO flexible, and it felt like it was folding over the top of that pillar that runs up the center.

Regardless, I was specifically looking for something with a headrest, and he knew that, so he probably just didn't give a gently caress. That's too bad, though. :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah that's fair. It takes a long time (relatively speaking) to set the chair up and get everything dialed so if you weren't way into it he probably didn't want to bother. The issue you're describing with the back of the chair is a specific setting that you can tailor to your needs. It was set up for the other dude, hence the issues.

I have to admit, and I'm no expert, but I don't really "get" headrests. If you're in a good chair that properly aligns your body, in theory you just shouldn't need one. It strikes me as kind of an... alignment crutch.

Afaik that's actually the reason you can't, for example, buy an Embody with a headrest even if you wanted to.

Everyone is different of course. However if you do happen to still be in the market (or whoever else might read this post who is looking for a chair) I would really suggest trying to get a good alignment on a chair like an Embody and then just take stock and see if you need a head rest. I'm kinda guessing you don't.

When the body is aligned correctly, it has a built in head rest- your neck, and the supporting structure for it. I've had my Embody for something like 7 years now and I can't think of one time that I've wanted a head rest for it.

Just my 2c, YMMV, etc.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 23, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Taima posted:

I have to admit, and I'm no expert, but I don't really "get" headrests. If you're in a good chair that properly aligns your body, in theory you just shouldn't need one. It strikes me as kind of an... alignment crutch.

You're right in that whenever you're actively working on something you shouldn't need the headrest, but as someone who leans back frequently for various reasons it's nice to have a headrest to rest on. Whenever I've sat in a chair with the tilt lock engaged it's uncomfortable, but holding my head up when I'm reclining during a long phone call or whatever is also not ideal.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Yeah that's fair. It takes a long time (relatively speaking) to set the chair up and get everything dialed so if you weren't way into it he probably didn't want to bother. The issue you're describing with the back of the chair is a specific setting that you can tailor to your needs. It was set up for the other dude, hence the issues.

Afaik that's actually the reason you can't, for example, buy an Embody with a headrest even if you wanted to.

Everyone is different of course. However if you do happen to still be in the market (or whoever else might read this post who is looking for a chair) I would really suggest trying to get a good alignment on a chair like an Embody and then just take stock and see if you need a head rest. I'm kinda guessing you don't.

When the body is aligned correctly, it has a built in head rest- your neck, and the supporting structure for it. I've had my Embody for something like 7 years now and I can't think of one time that I've wanted a head rest for it.

Just my 2c, YMMV, etc.

I get that; I think that's HM's take on most of it as well.

I'm currently sitting in an Aeron (no headrest) - have been for the past month or so - and I dearly miss my headrest from my mid-range OfficeMax chair. I'd argue that I have this Aeron set to me pretty specifically, but I like to recline when I'm playing games - which forces me to tip my head forward to keep it level. I'd rather take that stress off the muscles in my neck, at least once in awhile, and let the chair do the work.

I have a chair on order that should be in on July 31, and that has a sorta-built in headrest. I'll probably have to figure out a pillow/neck pillow solution to get the chair exactly how I want it, but the back support on it is fantastic, so it should be worth the bit of fiddling around.

I'm willing to admit that maybe I sit weird/wrong, but I (like to) think that I'm conscious enough about how I'm putting stress on my body and making sure that I'm not sitting in ways that are gonna cause issues down the line.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My leap chair seat cushion has gotten really compacted over the last ten years of ownership. My brother mentioned that apparently some place that refurbishes Steelcase chairs doesn't replace the cushion, they just steam the foam and that renews it. Anyone have any experience with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rndD6tzZPo

Also a few months ago I posted about this-- and I need to figure out how to search the thread-- but someone posted a brief video on how to remove the seat from the Leap chair. Does anyone remember that?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm going to be moving into a room with carpet soon so I assume I need one of those stupid plastic mats. I'm also going to get a ~72” desk that I can hopefully fit my gaming PC setup but also slide over to my work setup. Is there a recommended mat? It will be a sit/stand desk too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how the Embody has evolved over the last 10 years?

I looked at my build sheet and I wouldn't be able to buy the same configuration today... I have Papaya with Balance fabric and it looks like they only have black and white Balance fabric today, but it's the most premium fabric option?

No more JJTrek Enterprise chairs :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

I'm going to be moving into a room with carpet soon so I assume I need one of those stupid plastic mats. I'm also going to get a ~72” desk that I can hopefully fit my gaming PC setup but also slide over to my work setup. Is there a recommended mat? It will be a sit/stand desk too.

fwiw my desk is in a carpeted room and when I got my new chair I bought a set of rubber chair casters from Amazon and they're much better at rolling around on carpet than the standard office chair wheels that come with the chair. I obviously can't glide around the place but i like this option better than laying down a big plastic mat.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hed posted:

I looked at my build sheet and I wouldn't be able to buy the same configuration today... I have Papaya with Balance fabric and it looks like they only have black and white Balance fabric today, but it's the most premium fabric option?

"Gamer" chair. https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html?lang=en_US

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KingKapalone posted:

I guess it depends on the carpet, how much you care about the carpet, and the casters. For what it's worth, I bought a cheap lovely carpet remnant from Menard's for like $40 to put down on the tile floor because rolling on tile fuckin' sucks with the default casters and I figured it was so bumpy that I wouldn't like it with rubber ones either.

TL;DR: I like rolling on carpet. Then again, I like my chair to stay put when I put my feet on the desk or whatever.

Hed posted:

drat, I thought the Embody was pretty new; I didn't realize it was that old already!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

explosivo posted:

fwiw my desk is in a carpeted room and when I got my new chair I bought a set of rubber chair casters from Amazon and they're much better at rolling around on carpet than the standard office chair wheels that come with the chair. I obviously can't glide around the place but i like this option better than laying down a big plastic mat.

Heard of these. Definitely prefer this option, thanks!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all, I have a used office furniture store locally selling Herman Aerons ($500 CDN / $372 USD ), SteelCase Leap V2 ($430 CDN / $320 USD), SteelCase Think Mesh ($300 CDN / $223 USD) and SteelCase Leap V1 ($250 CDN / $186 USD).

I'm sure their state will matter as well depending on how used they are, but barring that, is it really worth it to get the Aeron? My use case is just a PC gaming chair, and while I do sit on it for hours at a time I am not working from home so I don't need full 8hr ergonomics, just something that's comfortable, durable and adjustable.

I'm very tempted by the SteelCase Think Mesh only because I know the SteelCase Leap is very well regarded and thought maybe a "drop down" to the Think Mesh may be a way to save some money. Would this be a bad idea though, or would it be worth it to drop a bit more for the Leap V2?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i think the leap2 is basically a steal at 300 almost regardless of what condition it's in unless it was straight up broken so,

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey all, I have a used office furniture store locally selling Herman Aerons ($500 CDN / $372 USD ), SteelCase Leap V2 ($430 CDN / $320 USD), SteelCase Think Mesh ($300 CDN / $223 USD) and SteelCase Leap V1 ($250 CDN / $186 USD).

I'm sure their state will matter as well depending on how used they are, but barring that, is it really worth it to get the Aeron? My use case is just a PC gaming chair, and while I do sit on it for hours at a time I am not working from home so I don't need full 8hr ergonomics, just something that's comfortable, durable and adjustable.

I'm very tempted by the SteelCase Think Mesh only because I know the SteelCase Leap is very well regarded and thought maybe a "drop down" to the Think Mesh may be a way to save some money. Would this be a bad idea though, or would it be worth it to drop a bit more for the Leap V2?

Can you go in and sit in them? To me, that'd be the key right there.

I finally made peace with the Aeron I was using (FINALLY got my Cosm though) but the Aeron still gave me trouble because it didn't have the Lumbar Support attachment.

If you can actually physically sit in the used chair you're about to buy, I'd mask up and go in and take them for a test drive. You may end up liking the Think Mesh more than the Aeron for whatever reason!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My wife's work is offering to pay up to $500 for an office chair since she's been working from home.

We have a standing height desk. It is not adjustable.

What is a decent brand or line to look at for higher chairs for tall desks?

E: it doesn't need to have wheels either

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 1, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My wife's work is offering to pay up to $500 for an office chair since she's been working from home.

We have a standing height desk. It is not adjustable.

What is a decent brand or line to look at for higher chairs for tall desks?

E: it doesn't need to have wheels either

I know Herman Miller makes stool-height Aerons; I'm not sure what other chairs /other manufacturers offer stool-height versions of their flagship products. Might be worth poking around their websites to see what they offer.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Zarin posted:

Can you go in and sit in them? To me, that'd be the key right there.

I finally made peace with the Aeron I was using (FINALLY got my Cosm though) but the Aeron still gave me trouble because it didn't have the Lumbar Support attachment.

If you can actually physically sit in the used chair you're about to buy, I'd mask up and go in and take them for a test drive. You may end up liking the Think Mesh more than the Aeron for whatever reason!

That's a fair point, I definitely can go in and test them out!

As well, I'm a fatty who's 6'2 and 250lbs, so I wouldn't mind anyone's experiences with those chairs at my weight if they have any points to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

goddammit, I've been looking around for a replacement for my lovely IKEA chair for a while, and I just came back in to the office for the first time in months to realize that it's FULL OF Steelcase Leap V2s that are sitting around completely unused. And I don't think I'm allowed to borrow one. :negative: Didn't know how good I had it...