Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Brooks subtweeting Bryson accusing him of using steroids is pretty good though.

Bryson is simultaneously annoying and hilarious. My sources tell me he’s very awkward in real life. Like, giving an interview then, as soon as it’s over, grabbing his golf bag and shaking the hell out of it in a rage awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’d enjoy watching him a lot more if I didn’t have to hear about how he’s a math genius that majored in physics in undergrad. Or have to listen to him discuss the atmospheric pressure and angle of decent while standing over a wedge shot into the green.

My driver has been HOT this year. It’s a good/weird feeling having the most confidence with a driver in my hand. Especially coming from 2 years ago I took my driver out of my bag and used 3W off the tee.

My putter on the other hand.... my putting is a mess and it’s got tot he point where I have zero confidence standing over the ball on the green. My last round I shot an 89 with 45 putts - I one putted one hole. The courses have been so dry around here most of my approach shots are a wedge in, so I’m not really struggling with approach shots.

What’s worked for you guys on finding your putting stroke again? I already bought a new putter last year hoping it’d give me some confidence and it didn’t work lol.

E: I only minored in math, maybe if I go back and major in math I could put like Bryson :negative:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 8, 2020

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Watching Bryson has been the most exciting thing for me. I love how he hits his wedges 10yrds past the hole and looks down at the club or yardage book in disbelief.

The heavy work out and math talk is over done, but I'm glad they have something else apart from his one length irons to talk about now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

I’d enjoy watching him a lot more if I didn’t have to hear about how he’s a math genius that majored in physics in undergrad. Or have to listen to him discuss the atmospheric pressure and angle of decent while standing over a wedge shot into the green.

My driver has been HOT this year. It’s a good/weird feeling having the most confidence with a driver in my hand. Especially coming from 2 years ago I took my driver out of my bag and used 3W off the tee.

My putter on the other hand.... my putting is a mess and it’s got tot he point where I have zero confidence standing over the ball on the green. My last round I shot an 89 with 45 putts - I one putted one hole. The courses have been so dry around here most of my approach shots are a wedge in, so I’m not really struggling with approach shots.

What’s worked for you guys on finding your putting stroke again? I already bought a new putter last year hoping it’d give me some confidence and it didn’t work lol.

E: I only minored in math, maybe if I go back and major in math I could put like Bryson :negative:
This was from a press conference at the Byron Nelson back in 2016:

quote:

During Bryson During Bryson DeChambeau’s press conference before the AT&T Byron Nelson, the subject of physics came up, and how it applies to golf.

Here’s part of his answer: “[…] especially Newtonian mechanics. See, quantum mechanics doesn’t really correlate — I mean, it does, on a really, really minute scale. But doesn’t affect how you’re striking the ball necessarily,” he said. “It’s more Newtonian mechanics.”
Only a poser would make such an equivocating comment about quantum mechanics. There are no quantum effects in golf, PERIOD. :spergin:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 8, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dangling pointer posted:

Make a radical change for a while. Change to a claw grip, or change to the method where you look at the hole during the putt. I find that just making a big break from what you're doing can force a mental reset.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Only a poser would make such an equivocating comment about quantum mechanics. There are no quantum effects in golf, PERIOD. :spergin:

measuring the golf ball's position changes the outcome, obviously

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There’s as many Bryson threads on golfwrx right now as you’d see when Tiger wins a tournament, jeeze.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Non-Bryson talk.

Had two, yes two, second ball bogeys. On the par 4 I usually play as a 5 (5i to fairway, lay up in front of green, try for up and down par), instead I hit driver because it had been really hot for me. Nice, long ball, but straight where I played for draw, just peaks over the OB fence. I hit 3 with my 5i to the fairway, but overswing and pull into bad location. Chip from there to 145. Hit a perfect shot, hits 5 feet short, hops and rolls into the cup.

On 17, playing from the tips, I talk myself into playing for a draw (see a pattern?) and hit straight into water. Hit 3, play for the straight ball, perfect. 54 degree wedge spins back to 18 inches, one putt bogey.

I still only shot a 78. Three birdies and pissed about the lost strokes from stupid play. I hit draws all day with my long irons...not one with a 3w or driver... but I hit down the right side so much planning to turn it back to the center because I am barely capable of learning.

On 18, a 500 yard par 5, I hit 5i, 5i, 54 for a one putt birdie. Dumbass.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

he's not the "top 3 smartest guy from Clovis (Fresno, CA)" for nothing! :colbert:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

Non-Bryson talk.

Had two, yes two, second ball bogeys. On the par 4 I usually play as a 5 (5i to fairway, lay up in front of green, try for up and down par), instead I hit driver because it had been really hot for me. Nice, long ball, but straight where I played for draw, just peaks over the OB fence. I hit 3 with my 5i to the fairway, but overswing and pull into bad location. Chip from there to 145. Hit a perfect shot, hits 5 feet short, hops and rolls into the cup.

On 17, playing from the tips, I talk myself into playing for a draw (see a pattern?) and hit straight into water. Hit 3, play for the straight ball, perfect. 54 degree wedge spins back to 18 inches, one putt bogey.

I still only shot a 78. Three birdies and pissed about the lost strokes from stupid play. I hit draws all day with my long irons...not one with a 3w or driver... but I hit down the right side so much planning to turn it back to the center because I am barely capable of learning.

On 18, a 500 yard par 5, I hit 5i, 5i, 54 for a one putt birdie. Dumbass.

I’m very thankful that my home course only requires shaping a driver on one hole (and it’s the par 5 I double bogeyed Sunday, grrrr). When it’s soft I can get away with just hitting it straight but once the fairways firm up I need to hit a perfect fade if I hit driver. My other options are either hit a hybrid or try to swing easy and slice the driver which is stupid but I still do it sometimes for unknown reasons and it almost never works.

The 18th hole favors a draw especially from the white tees, but unless I’m playing in a scramble or something I just aim up the middle and have a pretty easy second shot.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 8, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CC: my fellow hackers - I know there's 8,000,000 swing tip videos out there but here's a drill that I think is actually helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWyQp_3dZY&t=190s

It's basically angling both feet pretty far forward together so you're pretty much automatically hitting down on the ball.

I have a chronic problem hitting behind the ball and never truly hitting down and compressing the ball. This drill helped me understand how it's actually supposed to feel like coming off of the club, hitting the ball then making a divot.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Biggest putting advice I got was to get a piece of impact tape and actually see how often you hit the dead center of the putter face. For me I was actually hitting it on the heel so often I thought that's how the putter was supposed to sound on a good hit since I had so few actually in the center. Every time I practice putting I use a piece of impact tape and see where I'm actually hitting it, and it's so much easier to control distance and speed compared to a few months ago.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll hit the practice green tomorrow afternoon some impact tape and work on making contact on the same spot. If I’m still not feeling it after a couple of practice sessions making a radical change like grip or sight line is a really good idea to “reset”.

Looking forward to practicing with a purpose/something to focus on besides the normal drills I’ve done for years. Practicing differently will get me out of this rut I’ve been in. Hopefully

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

dangling pointer posted:

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll hit the practice green tomorrow afternoon some impact tape and work on making contact on the same spot. If I’m still not feeling it after a couple of practice sessions making a radical change like grip or sight line is a really good idea to “reset”.

Looking forward to practicing with a purpose/something to focus on besides the normal drills I’ve done for years. Practicing differently will get me out of this rut I’ve been in. Hopefully

I think I do my best putting practice when I’m practicing it with chipping. Here’s the game I play.

Take four different balls out of my bag, Mark them differently, or grab different kinds if you play a hodge podge like me.

Throw them in the rough next to the green.

I then play a game of ‘up and down’ to see who wins. If one of the balls takes more shots to get in the hole than all the others(like if I get up and down with 3 of them, but the fourth takes 3 strokes), put the loser in your pocket and continue with the remaining three balls. But it’s one tie all tie for the most strokes.

If you get the ball in 2 strokes, the next round that ball starts from the fringe, 3 strokes goes to the rough, 4+ I bury in the rough.

This makes me feel like there’s a bit of pressure on every putt. It’s not the same as on the course, but you’ll get lots of those 3-8 foot putts to stave off elimination, a lot of medium length putts, and a fair amount of lag putts if your chip sucks or if you’re on the fringe to start a round.

You still get a lot of practice in, but it’s much more engaging than just mindlessly hitting 500 putts.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

You still get a lot of practice in, but it’s much more engaging than just mindlessly hitting 500 putts.

Good stuff. Definitely sounds more engaging then more normal practice routines. Stuff like staggering balls progressively further from the hole starting at 10” or so. Move to the next ball after making 3 in a row. Lag putts I normally put two tees down on the line I need to take and focus on putting between.

Four ball up/down game sounds fun. Actually looking forward to putting practice for the first in awhile, it’s been an exercise in frustration this season.

If switching up my practice routine doesn’t work my only option left is getting my odyssey white hot #7 that I lost state in HS with out of my parents basement and finding a secluded green to meditate on until I reach enlightenment.

A putting vision quest

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 9, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I think I do my best putting practice when I’m practicing it with chipping. Here’s the game I play.

Take four different balls out of my bag, Mark them differently, or grab different kinds if you play a hodge podge like me.

Throw them in the rough next to the green.

I then play a game of ‘up and down’ to see who wins. If one of the balls takes more shots to get in the hole than all the others(like if I get up and down with 3 of them, but the fourth takes 3 strokes), put the loser in your pocket and continue with the remaining three balls. But it’s one tie all tie for the most strokes.

If you get the ball in 2 strokes, the next round that ball starts from the fringe, 3 strokes goes to the rough, 4+ I bury in the rough.

This makes me feel like there’s a bit of pressure on every putt. It’s not the same as on the course, but you’ll get lots of those 3-8 foot putts to stave off elimination, a lot of medium length putts, and a fair amount of lag putts if your chip sucks or if you’re on the fringe to start a round.

My office is next to a golf course that has a practice green/rough I can use at lunch. It's the one thing I'm missing from not going in.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

AndrewP posted:

My office is next to a golf course that has a practice green/rough I can use at lunch. It's the one thing I'm missing from not going in.

The most embarrassing thing about my recent struggle with 3 putting is I live directly across the street from a par 3 short holes golf course. The guys I play with love making jokes about it lol.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Man if I had something like that near me — much less across the street — I’d be there every day. I sent Houston Parks & Rec and the Hermann Park foundation my proposal for turning the golf course at Hermann Park into a Par 3 course with bars at the two clubhouses they have on opposite sides of the course but they’ll never do it. They did email me back and thanked me for my proposal though which was more than I expected.

The course, as it is, sucks. It’s perfectly flat, water is set up right in the landing zone of my most players now so you have to lay up on every hole with water, and with Memorial Park being 10 minutes away and much nicer, there’s no point in having a lovely muni course that no one plays. There’s also no bars within walking distance in that area while there’s something like 5,000+ people who live all around the course that are mostly young adults working in the medical center. I’d love for them to do something fun with it but I doubt it’ll ever happen.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Daric posted:

Man if I had something like that near me — much less across the street — I’d be there every day. I sent Houston Parks & Rec and the Hermann Park foundation my proposal for turning the golf course at Hermann Park into a Par 3 course with bars at the two clubhouses they have on opposite sides of the course but they’ll never do it. They did email me back and thanked me for my proposal though which was more than I expected.

The course, as it is, sucks. It’s perfectly flat, water is set up right in the landing zone of my most players now so you have to lay up on every hole with water, and with Memorial Park being 10 minutes away and much nicer, there’s no point in having a lovely muni course that no one plays. There’s also no bars within walking distance in that area while there’s something like 5,000+ people who live all around the course that are mostly young adults working in the medical center. I’d love for them to do something fun with it but I doubt it’ll ever happen.

The par 3 course was closed during the lockdown and walking across the street with a wedge and putter everyday was the only thing that kept me sane. It’s pretty nice they have lights to light up the whole course, they keep them on till 11pm. I honestly can’t remember the last time I actually played a full round though. Normally just walk across the street to get a couple of random holes in. Or chipping/putting practice.

I also just called my city’s park department about out lovely local muni course. They spent the better part of 400k putting in a irrigation system last year. This year the fairways are completely burned out because they haven’t been watering it. The city did furlough half the park dpt workers but at least turn the water on every couple of days.

Sucks seeing it in such bad shape, it’s a lovely course but i like playing there anyway. It was my high school teams home course.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Afternoon all,

After your awesome feedback from my last swing I've been working on it a lot. If you guys don't mind I've uploaded a couple of more photos of a side view and a backswing. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback again!

Back view - https://imgur.com/iQbftdg

Side view - https://imgur.com/Xg4BFIc

Gallery of both - https://imgur.com/a/3eAxFLu

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I want to judge your swing but I am too busy judging that hose reel that's popping out of the top SO HARD right now aaaaaaaaaaaaaa fix itttttttttttttt

E: Your tempo seems good, you're not too quick coming down. You seem a little open at 'contact' that might push out to the right but it's hard to freeze-frame imgur gifs. You keep your head down well. I'd try to keep your left arm as straight as you can on that takeback, let the bend happen in your wrist.

E: You're turning your hips forward pretty well too, that's good to see.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 9, 2020

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Kirios posted:

Afternoon all,

After your awesome feedback from my last swing I've been working on it a lot. If you guys don't mind I've uploaded a couple of more photos of a side view and a backswing. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback again!

Where did you get that Tripod sprinkler? I like that a lot better than my current sprinkler on top of a milk crate

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

Where did you get that Tripod sprinkler? I like that a lot better than my current sprinkler on top of a milk crate

Got it from Lowe's, the one from Home Depot is garbage don't bother:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-5000-sq-ft-Impulse-Tripod-Lawn-Sprinkler/3135847

We got an irrigation well this year (highly recommend it) and it pumps out a ton of water. The old oscillating sprinkler couldn't keep up but this bad boy works beautifully. I water my yard in a fraction of the time.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Nice, I'll have to swing by lowes next time im out. I'll just be using it to water the garden, I dont have the patience to water my yard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Under Armour put some of their Match Play pants in their outlet page. They haven't been marked down a ton (down to $56 from their usual $70) but I've loved the pairs I've owned and they work great just as basic everyday slacks if you don't want to wear heavier khakis or jeans.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

If you know a veteran/first responder, underarmor offers a 40% discount though id.me. Brings their stuff down closer to normal prices.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Under Armour put some of their Match Play pants in their outlet page. They haven't been marked down a ton (down to $56 from their usual $70) but I've loved the pairs I've owned and they work great just as basic everyday slacks if you don't want to wear heavier khakis or jeans.

I have like 4 or 5 pairs of these in all the colors that I wear daily to work. They are super comfy and very breathable. The few times a year I need to wear long pants(lol pants in florida) while golfing they are also great. I usually pick mine up at the outlet store near me or sometimes I get lucky and find a pair or 2 at Ross/TJ Maxx for like $20.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

I have like 4 or 5 pairs of these in all the colors that I wear daily to work. They are super comfy and very breathable. The few times a year I need to wear long pants(lol pants in florida) while golfing they are also great. I usually pick mine up at the outlet store near me or sometimes I get lucky and find a pair or 2 at Ross/TJ Maxx for like $20.

I honestly wear mine more at business conferences (or did, anyway) than I did golfing. "Khakis/chinos, but actually breathable" is the most wonderful loving thing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

I honestly wear mine more at business conferences (or did, anyway) than I did golfing. "Khakis/chinos, but actually breathable" is the most wonderful loving thing.

Ya I mean let's be honest, I think there was 2 times last year/this year that I've had to wear long pants while golfing so these are strictly work pants for me lol

The blue pair I have even look like scrubs so when I'm walking around the hospital I almost fit in lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Another good option is the Old Navy GoDry Performance Pants: https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=435081&ak_t=775A414202682F41BDA03F434E3E207317D8379E704700002984085FE939863D#pdp-page-content

They're stretchy and breathable, look like regular chinos, and can be had for super cheap if you wait for deals.

Also, we're all clear that it's "playing golf" not "golfing" right? You don't say "I was basketballing the other day"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Daric posted:

Another good option is the Old Navy GoDry Performance Pants: https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=435081&ak_t=775A414202682F41BDA03F434E3E207317D8379E704700002984085FE939863D#pdp-page-content

They're stretchy and breathable, look like regular chinos, and can be had for super cheap if you wait for deals.

Also, we're all clear that it's "playing golf" not "golfing" right? You don't say "I was basketballing the other day"

bruh I'm ballin' out every DAY

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daric posted:

I use golfing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

mods new thread title pls

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You may want to get some of those Old Navy pants then, if all your current ones have broken zippers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

Thanks for this! They're $24 right now so I bought a couple

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

Afternoon all,

As my high school golf coach said, "Stop playing with your dick". You're standing way too close to the ball which may be related to your awful hunched over posture. Get your weight more on the balls of your feet than the heels and extend your arms away from your body. As a result, your clubs may not feel long enough which means you need to bend more at the hips.

Also you take the club way too far inside on the backswing but we can save that for later.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Daric posted:

I’m pretty sure everyone uses golfing. Plenty of people say “balling” as well for playing ball.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

we fly high
no lie
you know this
(GOLFING)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ordered the Golf Scope V3. I liked the idea of the arccos but not the implementation. This looks workable, and the post round summary looks really useful. Relatively cheap, and no subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Just turn your mat 90° and you'll have room to take your stance.