Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

PARANOIA: THE ROLEPLAYING GAME

Paranoia is a phenomenally funny tabletop RPG first released in 1984 by West End Games. (Later, more well-known versions, including current ones, are now published by Mongoose Publishing.) The original version was created by Greg Costikyan, Dan Gelber, and Eric Goldberg. The setting is, at first glance, retro sci-fi dark comedy; a hilariously dystopian 1984-nightmare. But the details are quite astonishing, and even putting the humor aside, the world can be quite immersive and interesting.

Paranoia is not like most other tabletop games.
Other games may have you worrying about your class or species. In Paranoia, even minor differences like ethnicity and gender are non-existent, due to gene-banking melding everybody together, and hormone suppressants keeping anyone from experiencing puberty. You don't even have much of a family or backstory: Your genetic template was created by clone-tech experts based on what they thought might work best, and you were raised in a Junior Citizen complex along with everyone else.
In Paranoia, everyone is your enemy, including other players. Especially other players.
Living in the underground society known as Alpha Complex, run by a machine referred to only as "Friend Computer", you are tasked with keeping order among the chaos by combating The Computer's sworn enemies: Mutants, Traitors, and Communists. Failing to keep order is treason.

Also, every player is a Mutant, Traitor, and/or Communist. (This is treason.)

Of course, you don't have any proof of this. If someone finds out what your secrets are, they can turn you in for a promotion and financial gain. But on the other hand, if you manage to find out what society someone ELSE is in, or what THEIR mutation is, you could turn THEM in! And don't get me started on if you both find each other out at the same time.

So how can you manage to play the game if every player is just trying to ruin each other's lives? If you know out-of-character that everyone is a traitor... isn't that unfair? Not at all! You don't know what kind of traitor they are. There's more than a dozen secret societies, and they all want different things. Not only that, but the GM may decide to gently caress with you by picking a random player to NOT be a mutant, or to NOT have a secret society. Or maybe they'll decide to put everyone into the SAME society, so that if you turn someone in, you're hurting your own team! Maybe they'll secretly take you aside and say "I'm making you a non-mutant for this game." But maybe they're lying; what if you're a mutant but you just don't know it yet?

By the way, false accusations of treason are treasonous. Also, unhappiness is treason.

---

PARANOIA: FIGHT TOGETHER, OR DIE A CLONE

Fight Together, or Die a Clone is the name for this particular campaign of Paranoia, which I, Gosts, am running. I will be using the 2004 edition Paranoia XP, although I am also taking rules from previous editions AND future editions, and some of my own rules, too. Very few game masters run paranoia in the same way.

The Details:

This 'Let's Play' podcast will document this campaign - in which five players are participating. Our sessions are quite long, generally around 4 hours, and we try to play every other week. Instead of trying to post updates in such a terrible way, I will be splitting things into smaller chunks and posting those weekly. I will try to miss as few weeks as possible, but some holidays may need to be skipped. Even if there's no upload, I'll make sure to post SOMEthing once a week, even if it's just a text update or a notice about how things are going.

Small note: were originally going to be two versions of this podcast: The RED version, and the ULTRAVIOLET version. One with spoilers for secret player activities, and one without. But I decided it would be boring without the secrets, and also it would be more work for me, so disregard the mention of such things in the first few episodes.

Speaking of which: You can spoil ANYTHING that happens IN the podcast. Regardless of if they do or don't have a Something Awful account, all my players are banned from reading this thread, on pain of death. Don't worry about spoiling them.

If you are a paranoia game-master, or if you've read the GM rulebooks, try not to spoil any of the major plot points of the game or how it is run. Knowledge of the rules is treason!

For more discussion, you can also join the discord for the podcast.

---

THE CAST
[caution: information may be out-of-date and/or dated in the future/alternate reality]

Gosts

"Hi, I'm Gosts. I'm the game master. I've been running tabletop games for a while and I've considered doing a podcast, but I always thought I had too much self respect to do it. Until now."

Lights

"In the first tabletop game I played, my character was a wizard with a greatsword that jumped out of cover to melee attack a 15 foot tall golem because "this is the part of the stories where the player crits". I haven't improved since."
CHARACTER SUMMARY: INDIGO CLEARANCE ONLY
Dwight-R-FYT-1: Troubleshooter. Bodyguard Liaison. Frankenstein Destroyer.
Mutant Power: Desolidify.
Citizen Dwight is a known associate of the Frankenstein Destroyers, an organization of fanatics bent on destroying all intelligent machines, from the lowest of scrubbots, to our highest civil servant, our friend, The Computer. His placement is in the FD group known as 'Know Your Enemy' (KYE). KYE agents infiltrate other secret societies as well as R&D labs and bot manufacturing facilities to both learn about the secrets of bots, as well as sabotage them from the inside. KYE is an unpopular group among the Frankenstein Destroyers, due to the potential for triple agents. Dwight makes up for his unpopularity with extreme zealotry in sabotaging machines any time they have a chance to do so- even if (especially if?) it results in utter disaster.

Kyle

Kyle is the most dangerous man to make your enemy due to his perfect record of starting eternal blood feuds with other players. And with the GM.
Kyle-R-MMX-1: Troubleshooter. Internal Security Interrogations Janitor. PURGE.
Mutant Power: Teleportation.
Citizen Kyle is a member of PURGE. One of the most vile, deadly, hated, awful, truly despicable and evil societies in all of Alpha Complex. Their goal: Destroy The Computer, overthrow all High Programmers, and violently usurp Alpha Complex. Very few societies are willing to work with PURGE due to its extremely treasonous tendencies, but on the other hand, the payments for supplying and assisting them can be truly great... Kyle is assigned to the JUSTICE division, a group which assassinates traitors to PURGE. But even once initial recruitment is passed, PURGE is very careful about who they send on missions. He must prove his loyalty and worth with a few small tests...

Ram

Imagine Chancellor Palpatine but very soft-spoken and depressed.
Ram-R-INO-1: Troubleshooter. Vulture Squadron Recruiter. Illuminati/Death Leopard.
Mutant Power: Mental Blast.
What is the Illuminati?
No, really. That's not rhetorical. I'm asking you.
Whoever they are, they've ordered Ram to blend in with the Death Leopards. Death Leopards are anarchist party-goers, punk-rockers, vandals, maniacs, and many other things. PURGE is what the Death Leopards think they are, and aspire to be like. But whereas PURGE is about surgical strikes and guerrilla warfare, Death Leopards is about raves, drugs, and the thrill of danger.
Most secret societies have some kind of organization structure, be it a guild-like network, or a reclusive web of different cells. Death Leopards have a wide and varied spread of gangs throughout Alpha Complex. The objective of any Death Leopard is to join a gang cooler than the one they are in, and eventually to become so wanted by Internal Security that they are living life constantly on the run, becoming what's known to the DL (and to everyone in alpha complex) as a SUPERSTAR. You know what they say about stars, of course; the brightest ones burn out the fastest.

Frit

He smokes a pack a day and his skin is falling off. We have no idea how he's alive. He is quoted as having said "I know for a fact there's a liquor store in running distance from this hospital."
Frit-R-DNT-1: Troubleshooter. MemoMax Quality Assurance. Program Group. (Left Left Orange).
Mutant Power: Mind Sense.
ULTRAVIOLET citizens, who are few and far between, often have their own miniature 'societies'; called Program Groups. Frit-R is a part of one, but like many others, he has no idea who he is really working for. Only that it is referred to as "Left Left Orange". What do they want? Who is he actually working for? All he really knows is that his missions seem to revolve around measuring distances, co-ordinates, triangulating signals, city planning and other oddities related to the structures and locations in Alpha Complex. Perhaps someday he'll find out more... if he isn't executed for treason first.

Bees

"just trying to see how far button mashing would get me in a structured fighting game tournament"
Bees-R-BZZ-1: Troubleshooter. Biological Niceness Indexer. Psion.
Mutant Power: Regeneration.
Citizen Bees is an associate of Psion, a society of mutants, by mutants and for mutants. Psion is run by 'Control'. A group of telepathic psions who organize the movements of all others by beaming commands directly into their brains. Very few know who actually makes up the members of Control, and fewer live to tell about it. Psion is hated by almost all other secret societies. They are entirely disinterested in the petty goals of Death Leopards, Romantics, Sierra Club and the like. And their objectives for total domination make them enemies by default with PURGE, Corpore Metal, Communists, Humanists... and naturally with Alpha Complex itself.

---

MISSION LOG
Here, all episodes are carefully preserved on petri dishes for future generations.

'Episodes' are episodes of the podcast. They come out once a week. Usually. Hopefully.
'Secret Files' are text/image updates with background story or additional info. They are not required reading for the main plot. They have no update schedule.

MISSION 1: "MINE UR OWN BUSINESS"
Episode 1: Prepare Yourself, Troubleshooters.
Episode 1.5: How to Commit Treason
Episode 2: Robots are Useless, My Team is Worse
Episode 3: Please Stop Monologuing
Secret Files 1: The Good
Episode 4: The Road to Sector HEL...
Episode 5: The Episode Where Lights Screws Himself
Episode 6: Party Boy

POST-MISSION 1:
Episode 7: Partied Out
Episode 8: Conspiracy to Commit

MISSION 2: "GUARDIAN SPIRIT"
Episode 9: They Was Working on the Tires
Episode 10: Respiration Expiration
Episode 11: Are there any other GLEMs I should know about?
Episode 12: Mutant, Traitor, Troubleshooter.
Episode 13: Ram's Inferno

POST-MISSION 2:
Episode 14: Treason Season
Episode 15: Cave Adventures

MISSION 3: "MURDER INVESTMENT"
Episode 16: Vend-O-Mart
Episode 17: That Escalated Quickly
Episode 18: How do we feel about Panicking?
Episode 19: It's not actually our job
Episode 20: There's no evidence we didn't tamper with

POST-MISSION 3:
Episode 20.5: Manic
Episode 21: Tony-Hawk Skateboarding across the Complex
Episode 22: IT MOM
Episode 23: The Void
Episode 24: Grand(?) Theft Auto
Episode 25: Pro-Tech
Episode 26: IT MOM AGAIN
Episode 27: The Truck has Very Little Concept of Right and Wrong
Episode 28: Anarcho-Combot
Episode 29: Bookkeeping
Secret Files 2: Bot Brains

MISSION 4: "TRIAL AND ERROR"
Episode 30: I am not IntSec
Episode 31: Attraction (Fatal)
Episode 32: I Shoot Him
Episode 33: Gun, Skeleton, Bomb
Episode 34: The Ultimate Cure
Episode 35: We're All Purge Friends

POST-MISSION 4:
Episode 36: Ram's Inferno 2
Secret Files 3: Art Gallery of Pain
Episode 37: Final Fritter
Episode 38: Carpool Metal
Episode 39: Lights' Out
Episode 40: Two Brothers
Episode 40.5: Anti-Mutants, Communists
Episode 41: Mutant Strain
Episode 42: Self-Screwing Lightbulbs
Secret Files 3: Bot Brothers Bonus

MISSION 5: "ACTS AND CONSEQUENCES"
Episode 43: Tram
Episode 44: Every Button at Once
Episode 45: Pictures of Oranges
Episode 46: Give a Speech
Episode 47: Red Menace
Episode 48: Ultraviolet

POST-MISSION 5
Episode 49: Tell me things
Episode 50: Elucidate
Episode 51: Meeting You was a Real Blast
Episode 52: Who Computer Wasn't Won't? (This episode has a map)
Episode 53: Death of Mind and Body
Episode 54: Exploding Lights
Episode 55: The Truck Gave Me a Concept of Right and Wrong
Episode 56: Back Alleys and Brainscrubs
Episode 57: AlphaNet Rots your Brain
Episode 58: Is your Bot Brain running?
Episode 59: Well then you better go catch it

MISSION 6: "THE GAMER HOLE"
Episode 60: Beach Episode?
Episode 61: Dangling Above the Skill Floor
Episode 62: This game sucks
Episode 63: Abrupt End to the Fun

POST-MISSION 6
Episode 64: On the Toilet: Sweating
Episode 65: Unfortunate Lights
Episode 66: Is anything gonna happen to me?
Episode 67: Split or Steal
Episode 68: Are we all purge friends now?
Episode 69: Mutants vs Dirt
Episode 70: crabs
Episode 71: Beesus Christ
Episode 72: You Miss Every Crab you Don't Grab
Episode 73: Uncharted (This episode has a map)
Episode 74: NO FLESH ART
Episode 75: Getting the Gang Back Together (This episode has some images and text)
Episode 76: The Price of Art (This episode has some images and text)
Episode 77: Sometimes God Lies for a Reason
Episode 78: Unhinged
Episode 79: You Have Purchased a Nice Citizen
Episode 80: Questions, Answered
Episode 81: Next!
Episode 82: TATMLPTAANRWGO
Episode 83: Bees' Operation
Episode 84: Kyle, don't be mad

MISSION 7: "THE DOWN LOW(D)"
Episode 85: He did it again (This episode has some images and text)
Episode 86: THIS IS NOT A FLOOD WARNING (This episode has some images and text)
Episode 87: Purely Analog Demon
Episode 88: Blue vs You
Episode 89: Data Dealings
Episode 90: Guzman
Episode 91: Rescuing Endangered Sea Life
Episode 92: It was a Good Run
Episode 93: Ideas Come from Different Places
Episode 93.5: The Installation

POST-MISSION 7
Episode 94: Proximity Explaining
Episode 95: I Forgot Everything about Kyle
Episode 96: Complaint Withdrawal
Episode 97: Episode Six
Episode 98: I'm planning to set Ram and Kyle on fire
Episode 99: RAD-11
Episode 100: Gosts' Narrative
Episode 101: The Pit of Vipers Consumes Itself
Episode 102: Parental Controls, Pt. 1
Episode 103: Parental Controls, Pt. 2
Episode 104: Robots on Steroids

MISSION 8: "TEXAS GOLD"
Episode 105: Scalawag (This episode has some text)
Episode 106: what a good game
Episode 107: He's never been the same
Episode 108: I Like Destabilizing the Town
Episode 109: No corrupt, and all robot slave
Episode 110: The Game Master (who I trust implicitly)
Episode 111: Secret Society Serial
Episode 112: bees loving dies
Episode 113: Pitiful and Small
Episode 114: I Want The Gun
Episode 115: De-Evolution of Gameplay
Episode 116: The Funniest Thing Imaginable
Episode 117: Gostian Bargain
Episode 118: Go F&@# Yourself, I'm The GM

POST-MISSION 8
Episode 119: Who's that man?
Episode 120: Pull bullets to me to die faster
Episode 121: More Secret Soceties
Episode 122: I chose my hole
Episode 123: There's a Food Pyramid
Episode 124: A dance that I do when i'm happy
Episode 125: Vehicular Accident, in some senses
Episode 126: The Emperor

very cool filler with me and th eplayers :)
Episode 127: Good Game Design
Episode 128: Chill Paranoia Beats to Study/Relax to
Episode 129: Calm before the Storm

MISSION 9: "AIRPLANE!"
Episode 130: Brainscrub, Flybot, Oh God Whybot
Episode 131: Ominous (or unintentional) Foreshadowing (this episode has some images and text)
Episode 132: Now neither of us will be virgins
Episode 133: Other Kyles, Other Holes
Episode 134: Troubleshooting with You Guys has been a Blast

OK, AND THEN WHAT?
Episode 135: Fill in the details later
Episode 136: The End - No Moral (this episode has some important links)
Episode 137: The Final Final Final Episode

Gosts fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

[reserving this space for later]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sick, always wanted to see hear Paranoia being played

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was looking for a Paranoia podcast last week. Perfect timing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Am I blind or does Spotify not have a volume control?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yes yes, this is good. I will see the traitors punished.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I forgot to actually decide WHEN each week i'll be releasing. So I think I will pick saturday nights- That way, people can listen then, or at any time on sunday.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

But never on Monday. That would be treason!

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I am so definitely going to enjoy getting in on the metagame fun.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Any day ending in Y would be treason though, so ...

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Paranoia loving rules, nice.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
I like the pacing so far. Tension seems to be slowly increasing and we haven't even met Friend Computer yet.

Short Paranoia sessions are good, but more time means more chances to build up to some good, old fashioned treason. :chef:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

But never on Monday. That would be treason!

That sounds like a commie lie!

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 2 went live a little bit ago.

I'm actually calling it episode 1.5 because it does not continue the story from where it left off. Instead, now that you know who the characters are and what they are doing with their lives, we will get to do a bit more of an in-depth study on who they are and the horrible, horrible, horrible things they are doing.

Episode 1.5: How to Commit Treason

Gosts fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 12, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
WARNING: This post for ULTRAVIOLET CLEARANCE ONLY

Hi Gosts, would it be possible to put peoples secret societies as spoilered text next to their names? I am having fun but am yet to be able to tell voices from each other.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

WARNING: This post for ULTRAVIOLET CLEARANCE ONLY

Hi Gosts, would it be possible to put peoples secret societies as spoilered text next to their names? I am having fun but am yet to be able to tell voices from each other.

That is a truly phenomenal idea, citizen. I am promoting you to BLUE clearance.

Sadly the files I have added to the character profiles are for INDIGO clearance citizens only. This means you absolutely positively should not read them. Don't ever look at them or think about them. Pretend they don't exist. Maybe some day you'll get another promotion.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

How bad would life in Alpha Complex be for someone who is colorblind? Just imagine being an orange or yellow ranked citizen and constantly having to worry if the person you're speaking to outranks you or is below you if you're red/green colorblind.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That sounds like treason. Please report for ocular implants

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Geemer posted:

How bad would life in Alpha Complex be for someone who is colorblind? Just imagine being an orange or yellow ranked citizen and constantly having to worry if the person you're speaking to outranks you or is below you if you're red/green colorblind.

I might be misremembering, but in editions with merits/flaws, it's one of the biggest flaws to have. Luckily, it's a problem that works itself out fairly quickly, when you can no longer afford new clones.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

If you manage to figure out you're colorblind before you instantly die, it might be classified as a mutation, but one that can be pretty easily solved with the modern medical technology of Alpha Complex. Health coverage is inverted in Alpha Complex, compared to how it works for us. (In America, specifically.) If you have a pre-existing condition, you usually don't have to pay for it, as The Computer FIRMLY believes every citizen is equal, in the sense that everyone deserves an equal start in life. Even if surgery and implants cost tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, to replace eyes, limbs, or even to create synth-skin for your entire body to make up for cloning errors, you will almost always get them for free.

On the other hand, if you lose an arm while on the job; "That's unfortunate citizen! It seems your carelessness has caused damage to Alpha Complex machinery, and also yourself! This fifty credit fine will remind you to be more cautious around heavy machines."

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Friend Computer is nothing of not fair, and a true friend.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Only commie, mutant traitors wouldn't adhere to the Alpha Complex Color Contrast rules for paints, reflex armor, lasers, etc...

I'm sure Friend Computer would provide a helpful seeing-eye guide bot to non-sighted citizens for their duty assignments. There's no way that our helpful bots could get hacked and lead these citizens astray.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m loving it so far. I only wish you updated faster, but it makes sense to keep to a sensible schedule. I especially enjoy the filtered audio for special voices. Radiation bot has a special place in my heart now.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I never thought it would be so tempting to post every completed episode as soon as it's done, but it is. But then next week would come and I would have nothing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

While more updates more faster would make me happy in the short term, not having any next week would make me sad. And that would be treason.

Please pace yourself to keep overall happiness levels in the non-treasonous region.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pace yourself because happiness is mandatory

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 2 is live as of 18 minutes ago.

I've pretty happy with this one although I think I spent too much time on it. The plot thickens. The treason thickens. Everything in this episode is really thick and it's still getting thicker.

I feel like maybe I should post more stuff in this thread throughout the week, but I'm not sure what. Maybe talk about some cut scenes? Or stuff I cut out of the commentary track I made? Perhaps post paranoia art, rules, settings? Or talk about previous campaigns and what happened in them? Well I can't do ALL of that, so let me know if you have any advice!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just do all of it dear Friend Computogosts.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Highlights reel, or whatever you feel like doing without it being too much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd be down for some art, rules & setting stuff. I've been part of a one-off once but never saw the actual rulebook.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Bees is a really bad liar.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I read the rulebook over a decade ago. I used to play in an IRC version of it that tossed out all of the stats, and just divided a d20 roll into Crit Failure(1-5), Failure(6-10), Success (11-15), and Crit Success(16-20) so I would love a little more information on rules and the setting. Like I had no idea how big sectors actually were. I always just imagined Alpha Complex as basically a series of hallways.

Poor Bees is a really bad liar, but she also has to deal with being handed a suspicious item in front of the whole team. I guess she could have tried to linger behind the rest of the team and ask for it with them gone. That would look shady too though. Once other people start having to deal with their secret missions, I'm sure it will even back out. I can't wait to see Frit spend some time trying to stack some pitons perfectly.

Is there any chance we can get the powers they have added to their bios?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Damanation posted:

Is there any chance we can get the powers they have added to their bios?

Oh yeah, I dunno why I didn't add that already. No problem. Easy peasy.

I will probably start by posting some stuff about the books, game, rules, setting and so on next time I have free time for Paranoia that isn't spent running the game or editing the recordings. Start with broad stuff, then maybe go into more detail as we go on.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm enjoying the thread a lot. Thanks for doing this!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm no TTRPG podcast connoisseur but this is easily the best-edited and put-together TTRPG podcast I've ever heard. Your interjections and explanations make it much easier to appreciate the chaos going on in the background.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

gently caress i'm late gimmie a minute lol

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 3: Please Stop Monologuing

I thought I had time to edit a few things so I cancelled the auto-publish, but I did not quite have enough time! Oops. Still, I think the episode is better for it.

I didn't forget about posting extras in the thread, but i've been busy with stuff other than paranoia, sadly, so that will have to be a bit later. I hope you enjoy this week's episode regardless!

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
This seems like a really challenging but also rewarding game to DM if done well, and tons of fun to play since everyone has an incentive not to just be passive and follow the leader. Not knowing anything about Paranoia, do specific combos of secret factions/mutations/etc make for extra interesting combos?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Absolutely. Psions are ruled mainly by telepathic mutants, so if you get psion + telepathic, you can gain rank very fast. There's plenty of machine-related powers that act well with robot-related societies. Especially Machine Empathy: The most treasonous power of all. And being an Anti-Mutant member with a mutant power is always fun.

There's also some interesting equipment + power combos. For example, in a previous campaign, Kyle had X-ray vision. At one point he managed to get his hands on a sonic weapon, and sonic weapons can fire through walls or obstacles that don't have a lot of sound-resistance. And thus his reign of terror began...

I think the first thing I'll do is explain a bit about Alpha Complex in general, and stuff any citizen would know. Then maybe overview the Secret Societies. And then move on to whatever is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Some really interesting stuff happening, though I think I’ll have to listen to the episode a second time to follow it all since I tend to be doing something else while listening.

Some thoughts on the secret missions:
I bet that nerdy orange guy would know something about the R90 processor. He seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of technology certainly.

Kyle seems to have a target rich environment, it’s just hard to decide which would cost the most damage. I guess it’ll come to whatever he thinks will be the hardest to fix or cause the most inconvenience to the complex.

Frit seems to have gotten nervous about the exacting instructions on how to setup the rods? He did say he might need help to set them up, I can’t imagine why else he would ask for help.

Bees and Ram seem they are clear, so long as they don’t spend enough time down here for anyone to notice that stuff has gone missing.