Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Man I don't know. The Arjun recast is still jarring for me and he is just a minor character. It's going to be really off when it's someone who had many lines of dialogue in just about every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Man I don't know. The Arjun recast is still jarring for me and he is just a minor character. It's going to be really off when it's someone who had many lines of dialogue in just about every episode.

I agree there - I think that was a bad recast. So I'm really hoping the Alex recast would be better. I've watched some other shows with WAY better recasts, so I'm optimistic? Maybe haha

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they are going to do something, they need to just get rid of the character.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Just get Liam McIntyre to do it. He has experience replacing main characters.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

By the same logic, I can see recasting as the best route. I hope they choose well though.

This seems the most likely to me too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CLAM DOWN posted:

I agree there - I think that was a bad recast. So I'm really hoping the Alex recast would be better. I've watched some other shows with WAY better recasts, so I'm optimistic? Maybe haha

I honestly think the Arjun recast is the worst I've ever seen. I don't mind if they recast and they look different (Game of Thrones for example) but recasting and completely changing their dynamic, and their chemistry, was awful. I think the entire political arc would've hit better if originally Arjun had been involved and had the same story.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Arjun recast was a complete gently caress up honestly. Arjun in the books is this quiet, contemplative college professor that serves as a rather hilarious foil to his foul-mouthed, outspoken and ambitious wife. He serves to show how she acts when she is with him vs when she is with everyone else, and that she has a much more vulnerable human side that is constantly hidden when in public. If that kind of actor had been cast, then the fact that she was starting to act aggressively with him too would have had more weight.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is the perfect opportunity for Bezos to get on the show

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Azhais posted:

This is the perfect opportunity for Bezos to get on the show

NO

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just take some inspiration from Dark Matter and pull a Jace Corso/Derrick Moss.

e: hey if we're invoking Bezos, I'll also accept a fourth season of Dark Matter as an apology for a fifth season of Cas Anvar

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 9, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Hey guys, it's me, Johnny Bezos, the great great grandson of the famous Jeff Bezos who saved humanity with the Blue Origin company. People say I'm a spitting image of him. I'm also a crackerjack pilot, so I am ready to fly this space ship wherever we need."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
While the Arjun recast couldn't have been more jarring, I still think recasting Alex has my preference. Have the character kind of low key hanging out in the back for a few episodes, then bring him into the forefront.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Daario recast actor probably has lots of free time these days and people already used to him showing up half way through.

Or have Scott Bakula quantum leap into Alex. He's pretty good in sci fi.

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Michael shanks probably isn't busy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Trans Alex, she takes Space HRT and bing bang boom the Roci becomes less of a boys club ahead of the books. Get woke points, hires a (T)WOC for Amazon buxs, pisses off the worst fans, and best of all more gynophillic expanse fans.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

iv46vi posted:

:ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kazinsal posted:

Just take some inspiration from Dark Matter and pull a Jace Corso/Derrick Moss.

e: hey if we're invoking Bezos, I'll also accept a fourth season of Dark Matter as an apology for a fifth season of Cas Anvar

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

T-man posted:

Chaos option: make Alex trans, replace with trans actress

Cyberpunk option: deepfake Alex in without Cas using Bezosbux

Little known fact, Claudia Black's first role on TV was playing a trans character for an episode, and I still remember watching it when it first aired.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

iv46vi posted:

What are the rules?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Little known fact, Claudia Black's first role on TV was playing a trans character for an episode, and I still remember watching it when it first aired.

If you think about it, her role as a former goa'uld host on Stargate had trans vibes, sorta like the Trill from Star Trek.
Though I'm not sure I want to explore the further implications of goa'uld removal - conversion therapy?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Organic Lube User posted:

If you think about it, her role as a former goa'uld host on Stargate had trans vibes, sorta like the Trill from Star Trek.
Though I'm not sure I want to explore the further implications of goa'uld removal - conversion therapy?
The Goa'uld themselves are non-binary. :eng101:

Many seem to have a preference for host gender though, but for example Selmak use the same pronouns as their host. She/her with the first host we're shown, and he/his after they blend with Jacob Carter.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Just have the Rocinante damaged in the first episode of the next season and Alex gets flung out. Not impossible, you could maybe even tie it into something spoilery for dramatic effect. I don't actually remember what happens in book 6, but there are probably moments that could work and help up the stakes.

Have him replaced by the son we saw that one time, out to revenge his father on the greatest enemy yet: cold vacuum itself.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
He does return to mars for a bit in the books. Like I said:

"Alex died on the way back to his home planet"

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Just have Alex always off screen, or way in the background.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Recast Glenn Howerton as Alex and have him do a ridiculous accent.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So Far the Suggestions are to replace Alex are...

1. Shed Garvey
2. Bobbie
3. Clarissa Mao
4. Jeff Bezos
5. Ben Browder
6. Claudia Black
7. Crispin Glover
8. Marc Bendavid
9. Michael Shanks
10. Scott Bakula
11. Scorpius in a Hawaiian Shirt
12. Glen Howerton
-Edits-
13. Liam McIntyre
14. Shirtless Amos
15. Prax (PER BSG CAMEO)
16. Alan Tudyk
17. Chewbacca
18. Lin Manuel Miranda
19. Taintrunner (By being drunk and ranting like an idiot about BSG to Prax, who was a BSG Extra)
20. David Straithairn (Not sure if this is revived Ashford or just him acting someone new)
21. Automatic Pilot from Naked Gun
22. Fat Lee Adama (Jamie Bamber)
23. Roger Cross
24. Jonny Sins (Bald Brazzers Guy)

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 11, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What if they each did one episode

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Azhais posted:

What if they each did one episode

:Shutupandtakemymoney:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If I can add one more possibility, Alan Tudyk.

...or Chewbacca.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lin Manuel Miranda but he's not allowed to rap or sing Alex's lines

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jack2142 posted:

So Far the Suggestions are to replace Alex are...

1. Shed Garvey
2. Bobbie
3. Clarissa Mao
4. Jeff Bezos
5. Ben Browder
6. Claudia Black
7. Crispin Glover
8. Marc Bendavid
9. Michael Shanks
10. Scott Bakula
11. Scorpius in a Hawaiian Shirt
12. Glen Howerton
Edit: 13. Liam McIntyre

You forgot shirtless Amos.

Mu Zeta posted:

Lin Manuel Miranda but he's not allowed to rap or sing Alex's lines

LMM but he has to sing every line, even grunts or whatever.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Season 6 opens with a montage set to upbeat music of Prax learning to pilot a spaceship.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Prax is actually quite an accomplished pilot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Prax is actually quite an accomplished pilot

I got drunk at a party with this guy and I had no loving idea, even as I was rambling on about the BSG fangame. Goddamn I must have sounded like such a moron.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

What are the rules?

He went to the Civil War...it's fine. :science:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taintrunner posted:

I got drunk at a party with this guy and I had no loving idea, even as I was rambling on about the BSG fangame. Goddamn I must have sounded like such a moron.

If you haven't gotten drunk at a party with some random BSG cast members you don't really live in the Vancouver region.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

T-man posted:

LMM but he has to sing every line, even grunts or whatever.

Apoapses rise, periapses fall
No ammo, PDCs ran through it all

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It would be kind of funny to see LMM reprise his ~:texas:~ accent from His Dark Materials: it would be the perfect FU to a character we now hate because the actor (probably) sucks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
LMM as lee scorsby was offensive to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

If you haven't gotten drunk at a party with some random BSG cast members you don't really live in the Vancouver region.

I've lived in Vancouver my whole life and I would like to more about how to really live here.