Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

PAPER MARIO AND THE ORIGAMI KING - Out on switch July 17th 2020

https://papermario.nintendo.com/ca/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/paper-mario-the-origami-king-switch/

https://youtu.be/WmrJe5MQjv4

Let’s be real, Paper Mario and the Origami King is definitely not the sequel to the Thousand year door we all hoped it would be, instead Orgami King is light breezy adventure game with an RPG puzzle elements thrown in, there is no EXP system, instead the game uses Coins and Confetti, and largely follows the same route planned out in Color Splash where battles are mostly optional, only this time the battles are unique puzzle games featuring rings where you have 20 seconds to align the enemy in the right way to kill them in one go, the bosses also seem to reverse this where you have to align the rings to reach the bosses to perform an attack maneuver. It seems interesting on the surface so I hope the puzzle aspects will carry the game. on it's own merits, this seems like a nice fun battle system, maybe shallow but fun nonetheless. but one thing this does do well is the exploration and world settings, which seem pretty awesome so far.

Here are some preview videos that features gameplay, the world and battle mechanics footage:-

https://youtu.be/XI4eG87PGQ4

https://youtu.be/QZ8lWf5ques

https://youtu.be/fsz0_nYRobA

https://youtu.be/h3fEELugRVk

Nintendo will be giving a special presentation July 10

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1281332462040186880?s=21

However! This game seems to have a fun fantastic world, really funny characters and writing, funny set pieces and an absolutely wonderful sountrack, which will probably be the main draw of this game for most people. I’m excited to see what surprises are in store for us. And quite frankly, the paper aesthetics of the game are just flat out incredibly gorgeous. And it seems like they’ve really doubled down on the charm and world building and characters.

So what are your thoughts? Looking forward to a fun breezy adventure with Mario and friends? Hate/love the new battle system? Let’s discuss and when the game comes out talk and complain about the game and the events in it! I think overall this game will be a nice fun charming experience. Let’s fight over which Paper Mario game is the best, how this stacks up, etc.

Waaaahhh I wanted the thousand year door 2 waaaahhh:-

Listen, we all know. We want The Thousand Year Door part 2, sadly, as far as Mario goes, that’s not gonna happen, however, there is a wonderful new indie game that scratches that itch quite nicely and features the exact same addictive combat system, wonderful characters, great writing and a charming (if unpolished) aesthetic that is well worth your time and money by the name of ‘Bug Fables’, which can be found here:-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bug-fables-the-everlasting-sapling-switch/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082710/Bug_Fables_The_Everlasting_Sapling/

So gently caress it, MARIO TIME!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Reserved for review scores and images

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 10, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to like this but I expect it to suck.

just make another rpg like ttyd, nintendo!!!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I want to like this and expect to like this because Color splash ruled.

Wouldn't mind TTYD-style Paper Mario again if they don't bring back a dozen hours of backtracking and "lol we're wasting your time" jokes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'll check out Bug Fables; thanks OP.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm excited for this game, Sticker Star sucked rear end but Color Splash was very cool.

Also I think Paper Mario as a franchise is the first one with such a lovely whiny fanbase that it made me hate it's older games in retrospect because of how lovely TTYD and 64 stans are. I can't appreciate them anymore because I hate that part of the fanbase so much for being so insanely bratty.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Origami King looks nice and here's to hoping it won't be a boring slog to play. Everything that's been revealed points to it being cool and good.

The worst thing about Bug Fables is that it's really, really slow and when you've completed the first chapter you've seen everything the game has to offer since all chapters follow the same structure and there is nothing new coming up later. 30+ hours repeating the same thing. The characters are nice and charming at first but they are very one-note. I'd say wait for a sale on that one, even though otherwise it's solid and scratches that TTYD itch.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

i like how everybody on the left side is really surprised/scared except for toad who is ready gently caress poo poo up.

also the skull goomba is cute

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I think Paper Mario as a franchise is the first one with such a lovely whiny fanbase that it made me hate it's older games in retrospect because of how lovely TTYD and 64 stans are. I can't appreciate them anymore because I hate that part of the fanbase so much for being so insanely bratty.
I made a silly multilingual pun on twitter about TTYD being long, and got a Gamer Rant in about how I'm an illiterate child. I don't know where they came from and how they found me, but I'm glad my boyfriend pointed it out because I was blocked immediately and wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Twitter's cool.

That said, I do hope EVEN if most NPCs are toads, they at least had the time to use Color Splash's concepts. Those were great, very Toad Town-like, and I'm guessing devs didn't have enough time to put them in. As much as I love that game, that criticism is a valid one and "You meet a mysterious sage! (he's just a yellow toad)" just doesn't really work.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Flimf posted:

i like how everybody on the left side is really surprised/scared except for toad who is ready gently caress poo poo up.

also the skull goomba is cute

Toads loving rule, especially Captain Toad, professor Toad, and the new character in this game the kick rear end submarine pilot captain T. Ode

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 10, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

not a bot posted:

Origami King looks nice and here's to hoping it won't be a boring slog to play. Everything that's been revealed points to it being cool and good.

The worst thing about Bug Fables is that it's really, really slow and when you've completed the first chapter you've seen everything the game has to offer since all chapters follow the same structure and there is nothing new coming up later. 30+ hours repeating the same thing. The characters are nice and charming at first but they are very one-note. I'd say wait for a sale on that one, even though otherwise it's solid and scratches that TTYD itch.

This is kind of how I felt and by the end. I kept finding myself going "okay x is bad or boring but its a indie game so I'll cut it slack" and by the end of it I was just "maybe it's just bad."

Leif felt underpowered, Kabbu felt like he was overpowered as all hell and Vi seemed balanced, but had so many badges to customize her that you'd think she was the only character in the game. All the settings were kind of drivel and a lot of it felt like 'TTYD did it so we have to as well'. (The forced arena segment especially.)

I thought the writing was super clunky and the art was outright ugly most of the time and just... ehhh. I still don't want to say it's bad as that just feels mean for a super small team of people, but I think it's very, very hit or miss.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm excited for this game, Sticker Star sucked rear end but Color Splash was very cool.

This is an objectively dumb way to approach media, or indeed, anything.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Toads loving rule, especially Captain Toad, professor Toad, and the new character in this game the kick rear end submarine pilot captain T. Ode

lmao that description. Some real juicy rumors in the mushroom kingdom

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry but I can't agree in this case, where on social media or literally any game discussion board if I say I'm excited for it I'm told I'm a dumb idiot moron because it doesn't have exp and I don't understand game design and I shouldn't like it have you even played TTYD?

Love to be called underage because I'm fine with different types of games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Dude have you ever met a smash bro's Melee Fanatic? Those people make me never want to play Melee ever again. holy poo poo.

Look, I'm a pissbaby TTYD fanatic myself, so I understand where they're coming from, but trust me when I tell you that at some point certain fans can really sour newcomers views of a game with how they act.

Obviously the piece of media itself should be judged on it's own merit.

not a bot posted:

drat dude, that's a shame, I just bought the game yesterday, and I'm a couple hours into it and so far I'm loving it quite a bit, I hope it doesnt sour on me the further I go in because so far I really am enjoying Bug Fables.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 10, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I do this thing with like Rick & Morty or South Park or any video game where I literally only discuss them on SA because every other discussion forum on the internet is flooded with racist, misogynistic trolls with literally nothing of value to contribute, and as a result I don’t waste my time growing to hate the things I enjoy because I chose to engage with the absolute worst members of its fan base.

By all means continue, but if you’re losing touch with IPs or properties that make you happy because strangers were rude to you online... that seems like the problem is sticking your dick in that anthill in the first place instead of just playing the game or whatever and then posting about it here, where we have good mods like Video Games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I do this thing with like Rick & Morty or South Park or any video game where I literally only discuss them on SA because every other discussion forum on the internet is flooded with racist, misogynistic trolls with literally nothing of value to contribute, and as a result I don’t waste my time growing to hate the things I enjoy because I chose to engage with the absolute worst members of its fan base.

By all means continue, but if you’re losing touch with IPs or properties that make you happy because strangers were rude to you online... that seems like the problem is sticking your dick in that anthill in the first place instead of just playing the game or whatever and then posting about it here, where we have good mods like Video Games.

Lol dude I'm still gonna play good games and I definitely had my fill of Melee I'm just saying that sometimes the sheer aggressiveness and rudeness of certain fans can sour peoples perceptions or turn them away from trying things. I still enjoy the things I enjoy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I've made harmless tweets just saying "I can't wait for Oragami King! I hope it's good!" and been football tackled by idiots telling me that I'm wrong for thinking that.

When Color Splash came out I remember saying that the battle system kinda stunk but I loved everything else about it, therefor I thought it was a good game overall just with flaws- and I was called a idiot because 'dude look at ttyd it gave you star points! There's no reasons for you to fight in Color Splash! No star points! Bad game! God let me rant in your ear about toads and unique npc's'

I'm sick of hearing about unique npcs. I'm sick of hearing about star points. I'm sick of being told I can't enjoy the new Paper Mario because some weirdos desperately search for posts to argue about on other platforms. Hell even on SA I've had it happen. Look at literally the first post in this thread, imagine that getting posted unironically every time the franchise gets brought up. I'm so tired of it dude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you play color splash and like it? Congrats you're good this game is for you.

Did you play color splash and dislike it? That's fine, definitely don't get this one as the small things it does differently almost certainly aren't going to change your mind.

The real questionmark is people who didn't play color splash, of which there are probably a lot because of the Wii U. To them I say just be cautious and do your research before purchasing. It's not gonna be TTYD style, but imo they learned the most important lessons from how bad Sticker Star was already so this one looks to be at least as good as Color Splash if not better.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lol I just realized that someone born when Paper Mario TTYD was released will be entering college soon. :corsair:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
The thing that bothers me about it is that I'm sure 90% of people who whine about Paper Mario haven't played Color Splash. You NEED to fight in that game. And also fights rule, and I love how they made action commands so much better. Faster, with raised skill ceiling.
Like yeah it's not your "exp give level", but neither is old Paper Mario, where RPG system is extremely simplistic and also gives you an insignificant upgrade.

This discussion is a bit depressing, but I've not seen any previews of OK to actually talk about it. God I hope it's great. Treehouse localizations only seem to get better, because holy poo poo by now the games rival MOTHER in terms of funny writing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd agree except I can't blame people for not playing anything that is still Wii U exclusive. Even though it was a console that in my opinion hat a very nice collection of games that made it very worth owning, it was still a failed console that not as many people bought. So it's just an unavoidable reality that lots of people returning to the Switch will not have played a Paper Mario since sticker star and just have to take our word for it that color splash was better.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Massive 50 Question Video on the paper mario:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EWjKdcNSWA

I'm only 10 minutes in, they are only talking about the first third of the game, but one big thing is that they mention that while some battles are avoidable, most arent, so you still need to do a healthy amount of battling during the game. while you dont gain EXP, you will still HAVE to fight plenty of enemies. So I dont think you're gonna have the problem of 'lack of incentive' for battles since you wont have much of a choice anyways.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 10, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Did you play color splash and like it? Congrats you're good this game is for you.

Did you play color splash and dislike it? That's fine, definitely don't get this one as the small things it does differently almost certainly aren't going to change your mind.

The real questionmark is people who didn't play color splash, of which there are probably a lot because of the Wii U. To them I say just be cautious and do your research before purchasing. It's not gonna be TTYD style, but imo they learned the most important lessons from how bad Sticker Star was already so this one looks to be at least as good as Color Splash if not better.

This is me so we’ll see. I liked to love every Mario rpg outside of sticker star which I thought was garbage. I haven’t even played color splash so I don’t know how much the series improved on the formula

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

drat dude, that's a shame, I just bought the game yesterday, and I'm a couple hours into it and so far I'm loving it quite a bit, I hope it doesnt sour on me the further I go in because so far I really am enjoying Bug Fables.

I think it's mainly a pacing issue. Just don't binge the game and do skip most of the side quests and it's a good game.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honestly TTYD has poo poo tons of backtracking especially in regards to a certain chapter (or chapters?) Its still a good game, but I think people look at it with a bit too much nostalgia.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm fine with the lack of rpg stuff I just wish they did more with the characters and designs. Colour Splash was fun enough as a soort of puzzle platformer/adventure game and well written but I was constantly irritated by all the npcs being near identical. It's frustrating cause it's just such an obvious, pervasive but easy to fix problem that seemingly no one likes.

I'm still looking forward to OK but man they couldn't give the bobomb you hang with glasses or something?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, I've made harmless tweets just saying "I can't wait for Oragami King! I hope it's good!" and been football tackled by idiots telling me that I'm wrong for thinking that.

When Color Splash came out I remember saying that the battle system kinda stunk but I loved everything else about it, therefor I thought it was a good game overall just with flaws- and I was called a idiot because 'dude look at ttyd it gave you star points! There's no reasons for you to fight in Color Splash! No star points! Bad game! God let me rant in your ear about toads and unique npc's'

I'm sick of hearing about unique npcs. I'm sick of hearing about star points. I'm sick of being told I can't enjoy the new Paper Mario because some weirdos desperately search for posts to argue about on other platforms. Hell even on SA I've had it happen. Look at literally the first post in this thread, imagine that getting posted unironically every time the franchise gets brought up. I'm so tired of it dude.

I mean it's annoying but this is still really a you problem and you making GBS threads up a thread raving about TTYD fanboys isn't any better.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
I'm surprised people who play TTYD remember anything past Glitzville. Definitely the apex of any Mario RPG, sans discovering Grate Guy's Casino back in 8th grade

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

SirBukkake posted:

I'm surprised people who play TTYD remember anything past Glitzville. Definitely the apex of any Mario RPG, sans discovering Grate Guy's Casino back in 8th grade

Glitzville would have been perfect if there wasn't so much padding when going through the fights. Like each fight ended up being like two minutes longer than it had to be with the whole talk to the monitor/wait to get walked to the stage/etc. stuff that made the thing feel like a slog. And gently caress you if you wanted to 100% the game and had to go through the whole thing again, only without the plot beats to break it up.

Chapter 4 was the best, but even it had a lot of unnecessary backtracking.

Come to think of it, maybe TTYD is only as good as people remember it because they forgot all the awful backtracking in it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Stickerstar has one great moment that is the only thing I can remember from the game, and that's a bit where Kemek has turned all your sticker moves into flip flops, laughs at you while asking what your gonna do now, and then Mario just beats him unconscious with a sandel. Lol'd for a couple minutes.

Probably not quite worth the money all the same.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can kill origami dogs, hard pass.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toad King posted:

Glitzville would have been perfect if there wasn't so much padding when going through the fights. Like each fight ended up being like two minutes longer than it had to be with the whole talk to the monitor/wait to get walked to the stage/etc. stuff that made the thing feel like a slog. And gently caress you if you wanted to 100% the game and had to go through the whole thing again, only without the plot beats to break it up.

Chapter 4 was the best, but even it had a lot of unnecessary backtracking.

Come to think of it, maybe TTYD is only as good as people remember it because they forgot all the awful backtracking in it.

I replayed it last year and it still owns, sorry.

Color Splash was pretty okay so maybe this will be fine but I gotta say it kind of sucks that they've been trying to reinvent Paper Mario longer than the 'classic style' paper mario games were being made at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thousand Year Door is still quite good. But Origami King still looks fun, though I wish it did have a bit more traditional RPG elements.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Origami King looks like it'll be a lot of fun, can't wait to get this

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Not watching any previews, so happy to hear people think it looks alright. And with Nintendo, I totally believe it will be. They're usually super honest in their previews and trailers, so when the game looks bad or is boring, they don't usually hide it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

:siren: Paper Mario Origami King has been leaked to the public, be wary of spoilers :siren:

https://twitter.com/gonintendotweet/status/1281693122553155588?s=21

Be careful of extreme spoilers and plot twist reveals such as Mario and Friends go on an Adventure and save the day

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people are so salty about Sticker Star and beyond because it's not at all like the games they liked. It's why I never got colour splash, at least and SS was such a letdown.

I don't go whining at people on the internet for liking the wrong games, though. I just don't see the appeal.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Installing this now! First Paper Mario since the GameCube one, I hope the companions are cool.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

All I want from Paper Mario is a weird cartoon landscape where mushrooms have a midlife crisis

I want some weird adventure stuff, even the trolling bits. ESPECIALLY the trolling bits. Wanna proceed through 100 speechbubbles of a dude apologizing. Wanna be thrown into debtor prison for breaking some stupid vase. Wanna go through 20+ slow battles, including totally unscripted outside ring drama, and learn about the struggles and dreams of a third-rate koopa wrestler, only to see them swallowed up in a conspiracy. Wanna go to mario afterlife and bargain with the queen of the underworld for a 1-up. The games aren't really THAT special, gameplay-wise, they're just very competent and cute-looking, but they do some unexpected, subversive and pretty dang creative stuff, of the sorts which I feel is rarely seen in rpgs

Totally makes up for the horrible backtracking, and makes up SOMEWHAT for the pretty busted and sparse-looking gimmick of SPM. But, oh well.

Never liked how the games started wildly experimenting with game mechanics, while the settings and levels turned much safer/conventional/boring. Feels like the games intentionally regressed in that regard. Perhaps TTYD/SPM just got too tongue-in-cheek/self-aware to pull the big sales. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think a big part of what appeals to me about the Paper Mario "vibe" is the shifting of Mario, as a character, more towards his origins. No matter how good a game is I am kind of weirded out at how far he's otherwise shifted into "Hey Ha WOWWWW IT's a MARIO TIME!!!! YEAH!!!!!! I'MA SCREAMING ITALIAN!!!!!! LETSAGO" Mario should just be a dude who's here to help out