Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

They didn't mention much about equipment in BG3 in the videos but yeah, I don't remember Divinity having interesting gear. It was mostly just better stats and sometimes the weapons would have a chance to inflict a status effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The big problem with D:OS 2, and what I actually think is legitimate criticism, is that the loot system wasn't very good. No matter how OP your current Helmet of Complete One-Sided Annihiliation +69 was, as soon as you leveled up the garbage-tier helmet you could buy from random vendors would be significantly better no matter what. There was no time or incentive to get attached to a particular piece of equipment. I hope they learn from the reception to that aspect of the game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

UrbicaMortis posted:

They didn't mention much about equipment in BG3 in the videos but yeah, I don't remember Divinity having interesting gear. It was mostly just better stats and sometimes the weapons would have a chance to inflict a status effect.

Even with downplaying the gear in DOS (which wasn't close to the worst item system), that is still infinity more interesting with plain items.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I did see a brief shot in one of the videos of some boots being looted that had the effect of making the wearer immune to webs, which is not a vanilla 5e magic item, which goes to show that Larian are being allowed to make their own magical items. This makes me a lot more hopeful for the item variety in this game, as ordinarily low level 5e D&D has basically fuckall for interesting gear.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

Even with downplaying the gear in DOS (which wasn't close to the worst item system), that is still infinity more interesting with plain items.

If my options were the gear system in DOS2 or no gear at all, I would go with no gear at all.

It's by far the worst thing about an otherwise stellar game

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Andrast posted:

If my options were the gear system in DOS2 or no gear at all, I would go with no gear at all.

It's by far the worst thing about an otherwise stellar game

I appreciate your honesty about what would or wouldn't make it fun for you. I would say though that the game in your head would have been a financial disaster.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

I appreciate your honesty about what would or wouldn't make it fun for you. I would say though that the game in your head would have been a financial disaster.

OS2 except with no terrible scaling and more interesting itemization is what I really wanted

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

OS2 except with no terrible scaling and more interesting itemization is what I really wanted

Sounds good tbh download unity and get cracking

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Sounds good tbh download unity and get cracking

OS2 was indeed pretty fun with a mod that modified the scaling

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why do you guys get so defensive about literally any criticism of your game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sickening posted:

In that last video did they talk about weapons, armor, or items at all? Because again, DOS3 with generic weapons and armor is going to be a huge downgrade.

My guess is it's going to take its cues from 5th edition D&D, where a character can equip at most three "special" magic items. Items that are just like +1 longsword, +2 leather armor or whatever are unrestricted, but anything that has a unique on-use effect or proc or something has to be "attuned," and a character can only have three attuned items at once.

That said, if they do have attunement, that does mean there'll be magic items/relics/etc. that have impactful unique effects.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Harrow posted:

My guess is it's going to take its cues from 5th edition D&D, where a character can equip at most three "special" magic items. Items that are just like +1 longsword, +2 leather armor or whatever are unrestricted, but anything that has a unique on-use effect or proc or something has to be "attuned," and a character can only have three attuned items at once.

That said, if they do have attunement, that does mean there'll be magic items/relics/etc. that have impactful unique effects.

Have they said they'll have attunement in? That doesn't strike me as very video game-y and I'm not sure it'd translate well to be honest. Capping certain magical items without it and not others would be strange though so I wonder what they have in mind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"You have to activate some item abilities by spending an attunement slot" is pretty gamey, imo.

It wouldn't even be a complicated UI - show the three attunement slots on the character sheet, empty or filled with a link to the item in question, and on the item itself have a checkbox on the relevant ability that's disabled if you have no free slots.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope they don't limit the number of cool things we can wear tbh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Chairchucker posted:

Bring back the bug from Fallout 3 where you can wear infinite hats, but it's your full wardrobe and a feature.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

The big problem with D:OS 2, and what I actually think is legitimate criticism, is that the loot system wasn't very good. No matter how OP your current Helmet of Complete One-Sided Annihiliation +69 was, as soon as you leveled up the garbage-tier helmet you could buy from random vendors would be significantly better no matter what. There was no time or incentive to get attached to a particular piece of equipment. I hope they learn from the reception to that aspect of the game.

The definitive edition patch gives you an option to add certain vendors that can upgrade old gear to your current level, but the mechanic is super confusing and and expensive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this game needs the bg2 bonus merchants

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Miftan posted:

Have they said they'll have attunement in? That doesn't strike me as very video game-y and I'm not sure it'd translate well to be honest. Capping certain magical items without it and not others would be strange though so I wonder what they have in mind.

It's not too far off from, say, Destiny's exotics. Destiny 1 and 2 let you equip a total of two exotic-rarity pieces of equipment per character--one weapon, and one armor piece--no matter which slot. If you're wearing exotic boots, you can't wear an exotic helmet, etc.

Attunement is basically the same thing only with three slots and it doesn't differentiate between weapon and armor. The easiest way to make it understandable in a video game would just be rarity colors. Color code "normal" magic items, that just have simple numerical bonuses, as blues or greens or something, and items that require attunement as purple or orange. Then just say "you can equip as many blues/greens as you want, but only up to three purples/oranges at a time."

D&D 5e actually already has magic item rarities (uncommon -> rare -> very rare -> legendary) but I don't think whether an item requires attunement is neatly divided by rarity--I think there are "rare" items that require attunement and others that don't--but for the purpose of a video game I think it makes sense to just divide it by rarity so it's easy for players to immediately understand.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 9, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mailer posted:

Same, though for different reasons, with the very important exception of the PoE games. The biggest reason is because in every other game "save vs" might as well read "non-player-characters are immune to this".

It's awesome that these games are being made again and Deadfire is such an amazing game designed from the ground up to be enjoyable. Kingmaker, ignoring past and present bugs/jank, is still very much about studying for a degree in Advanced Pathfinder Minmaxing before you even touch the game. Great for the alumni of Paizo University, bad for people who show up not knowing about sneak attack dice. DOS2, while I haven't played it yet, has a thread that constantly reminds me you need to do things The Right Way(c) or you're screwed.

Overall, aside from the last two chapters, I didn't mind Pathfinder that much and I'm sure I'll be fine with DOS2. It's just that I'd rather see these games move towards just playing whatever and having fun instead of appealing strictly to the people who dig into the mechanical side. I guess BG was like that too, but I already had my masters in 2nd Ed so it didn't phase me.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is literally just BG3. Pathfinder is just the good version of DnD with more classes and stuff. If you had a degree in 2E, you should automatically get a certificate in 3.5 because if you can be comfortable with thac0 and the insane XP and class rules, 3.5 rules are a cakewalk.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chairchucker posted:

A/D&D has been doing this with rings forever.

I think Attunement is good because it doesn't necessitate getting rid of items, item types, etc. and it addresses the potential for obscene stacking without requiring stacking rules. You can collect and keep all of the goodies you find, you just can't benefit from them all simultaneously.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker is literally just BG3. Pathfinder is just the good version of DnD with more classes and stuff. If you had a degree in 2E, you should automatically get a certificate in 3.5 because if you can be comfortable with thac0 and the insane XP and class rules, 3.5 rules are a cakewalk.

3.x/PF char-op is way more complex than 2e's especially since feats were a major thing in both and had insane amounts of bloating. This goes to a much further degree for martial types even though they absolutely suck compared to wizards, especially when the entire spell list for those games is allowed like in a P&P rpg.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Khanstant posted:

Kingmaker had a bunch of annoying and bad design features like time limits and cheating on encounters.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

rope kid posted:

A/D&D has been doing this with rings forever.

I should be allowed to equip 20 rings on each character. :colbert:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

I should be allowed to equip 20 rings on each character. :colbert:

Not 21?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Can't I just shove two or three dozen rings up my rear end one by one and reap the benefits? Like why do they have to be on my fingers?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also 20 body piercings.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dillbag posted:

Can't I just shove two or three dozen rings up my rear end one by one and reap the benefits? Like why do they have to be on my fingers?

Reading this post with no context is really awesome.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Khanstant posted:

I'm not going to defend 2nd edition, but at the time it was what I knew so BG being wrapped in it didn't cause me any distress. The point was it's probably always been bad but 3.5/Pathfinder was when I noticed it. When 3rd edition came out I remember reading the rulebook and rolling my eyes at all the stuff in there because it felt like a game designed by and for rules lawyers. I'm definitely the min/maxing that guy in videogames but keep that poo poo off of my table.

I was surprised when 5e had what looked like a sane evolution of the simpler game I remembered instead of tables of numbers that read like GURPS.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Kingmaker had a bunch of annoying and bad design features like time limits and cheating on encounters.

And feat taxes! Wizards cant hit poo poo with their spells until they take one or two archery feats.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
You would have to do wheelies in the Tors mountains for like 20 real life minutes for the Kingmaker time limit to affect you in any way

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I refunded Kingmaker when it made me fight hordes of spider swarms with an extremely finite supply of fire bombs & acid flasks which kept missing/not working. Honestly what a loathsome bit of game design

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

multijoe posted:

I refunded Kingmaker when it made me fight hordes of spider swarms with an extremely finite supply of fire bombs & acid flasks which kept missing/not working. Honestly what a loathsome bit of game design

It's still just as bad in the "extended edition" too.
All the fights in the game were bollocks but those (even on super easy) are extra bad.

I'm going to say 2nd edition D&D is way less complex than anything Pathfinder has. You're just a single class and everyone levels up and does exactly the same. A level 10 fighter in my game (outside of stats) is the same as a level 10 fighter in yours - but that's not the case in pathfinder.
Don't get me wrong I like crunchy character stuff but with feats often having bad descriptions and etc it's really not easy to make a decent character without already knowing how the game works from playing tabletop.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

multijoe posted:

I tried to refund after this, but had spent too many hours in character creation (lol thanks pathfinder mechanics). I finally uninstalled after the next encounter which triggered when I rested on a nearby map. A blue flaming skull spawns and instakills your team.

I say this as one of the most nostalgic and groggiest people I know for Baldurs Gate, but Pathfinder Kingmaker was just too much grog trap poo poo. Even for me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kingmaker can be a good game with liberal use of cheats and mods at least. And even then the last chapter I just turned down to easy becasue that's where the unfair bs gets turned up to 11. I did enjoy it though (mostly for the characters and story) but yea don't play this vanilla.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is sounding more and more like Kingmaker was made by folks who played Baldur's Gate with difficulty mods. Fuckin Tactics mod.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

mitochondritom posted:

I tried to refund after this, but had spent too many hours in character creation (lol thanks pathfinder mechanics). I finally uninstalled after the next encounter which triggered when I rested on a nearby map. A blue flaming skull spawns and instakills your team.

I say this as one of the most nostalgic and groggiest people I know for Baldurs Gate, but Pathfinder Kingmaker was just too much grog trap poo poo. Even for me.

You rested in a pre-placed camp that was surrounded by corpses and scorch marks and you can kill that enemy with like 1 low level lightning resist spell

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Kingmaker can be a good game with liberal use of cheats and mods at least. And even then the last chapter I just turned down to easy becasue that's where the unfair bs gets turned up to 11. I did enjoy it though (mostly for the characters and story) but yea don't play this vanilla.

Kingmaker's last few areas were so bad that they really soured my opinion of it for awhile. I quite like the game now in retrospect, but I definitely held a different view immediately after subjecting myself to that garbage. Ended up cheating through the last of it even though that's something I pretty much never do in games otherwise. The only other example I can think of is noclipping through the sewer in Vampire: Bloodlines, which is of extremely similar quality and is mercifully much shorter. When you're worse than the Bloodlines sewers you've really hosed up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just remembered beating BG2 legit but getting tired of ToB and cheating my way through the last half or quarter to see how it ended.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And feat taxes! Wizards cant hit poo poo with their spells until they take one or two archery feats.

Someone made the mistake of trying to be a blaster wizard.

Fireball is good and reliable, but almost every other damage doing spell should be replaced with a save or lose type spell, like hold person, sleep, or scare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Someone made the mistake of trying to be a blaster wizard.

Blaster arcane trickers are actually silly strong in kingmaker because of how they implemented sneak attack and with touch attacks being one of he more reliable ways to actually hit the bs endgame mobs they throw at you.