Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Remember a time when men would execute themselves in a gruesome fashion when caught doing wrong? Now they just run for a second term.

#notallmen

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Biplane posted:

Holy gently caress, was that the cartoon with the underwater smurfalikes, and a dude trapped in a sunken ship???

The Snorks was the undersea smurfs, but no idea if there was a guy in a ship. I don;t remember anything else about it than 'underwater smurfs'

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elfface posted:

The Snorks was the undersea smurfs, but no idea if there was a guy in a ship. I don;t remember anything else about it than 'underwater smurfs'

Wikipedia doesn't mention a guy in a ship, but they apparently did have a mermaid and King Neptune.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Elfface posted:

Literally my only memory of this show, which I haven't thought about in like twenty years, is the intro I think and there's a guy writing a journal or something while trapped in an airpocket in a sunken ship.

edit: "According to the Snorks backstory, which was described in the show's worldwide (first season in America)[clarification needed] opening theme, a few ventured to the surface (which the Snorks believe is "outer space") in 1634 and watched a Royal Navyship of the Spanish Armada being attacked by pirates. The captain wound up in the water and that was the first contact between the species when the Snorks saved his life, to which the captain then expressed his gratitude by writing down the encounter in his logbook, although very few humans believe in the existence of the Snorks. Since then, Snorks have adopted several human habits, such as wearing clothes.[7]"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wow! The Snorks! Hey, let's all sing the theme song together!

"Come along with the Snorks!"
.......*mumbles something*

Okay, that's all I remember.

They rode seahorses and shoved "Kelpburgers" into the protuberance jutting out their head.

It was pretty much " High school, but underwater?"
Main guy was your All-American sports star, and his lady interest.
There was a Rich bully-type guy. Maybe there was a Rich guy AND a Aggressive jock guy?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This has been the hardest I've gone down nostalgia road in a long while.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BrianBoitano posted:

They needed to be even more covert than that, because the fix wasn't in the basement. There are a series of angled beams directing corner loads to the center of each face, pointing at the stilts. These were not all concentrated around emergency stairwells, which might have been covert. No, no, this was the era when structural components moved back to the outside, allowing less overall steel use and taller buildings. Citicorp Center was, when built, the 7th tallest building in the world.

The result? Their covert after-hours fix happened in offices and common areas:

Beauty of an architecture component, don't you think?

Another aggravating factor in the vulnerability was introduced, as so many are, in construction when a change of design was proposed. To save money these angled beams were joined not with the originally-planned welds but with cheaper and quicker bolts. This lowered their strength, but calculations showed it'd be fine with the cardinal-directions winds. As Data Graham said, quartering winds weren't considered and the change was approved.

So the fix required welders coming in after-hours, taking off finishing from these structural components, welding on plates over the joints, then refinishing so it looked like all that occurred was a new paint job.

Oh, and a category 4 hurricane headed towards it 6 weeks into the repair. Thankfully it decided to just buzz the east coast and gently caress off to retire someplace vikings used to live.

Another fun thing about the "beams near the outside" design was the need for a tuned mass damper. Basically, this is a huge counterweight in the upper floors which moves to cancel out any vibrations that get started. This was original design, and quickly caught on because besides making it safer it made taller buildings less vomit-inducing.

Here's a fun video showing both the tuned mass damper and the emergency fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUImgTJHJOw&t=192s

e: added 2 pictures

I feel like this really undersells what the student had discovered and was asking about. I think I heard him refer to the student using a male pronoun, but her name is Diane. Also she brought much more to the conversation than some idle questions, pretty sure she had figured out something was very wrong with the design and was calling him to figure out if her ideas were right or if there was some other aspect to the design that she didn’t know about.

Edit: talking about the video, not the whole post, sorry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BrianBoitano posted:

It was also in a politics thread since a feminist author wrote a book about misogyny in architecture and this was brought up as a feminine skyscraper

Which politics thread cuz there's a bunch of them

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

I feel like this really undersells what the student had discovered and was asking about. I think I heard him refer to the student using a male pronoun, but her name is Diane. Also she brought much more to the conversation than some idle questions, pretty sure she had figured out something was very wrong with the design and was calling him to figure out if her ideas were right or if there was some other aspect to the design that she didn’t know about.

Edit: talking about the video, not the whole post, sorry.

She said she didn't talk to him directly, which might be where the wrong pronoun gets into the story

Here's a great podcast episode (or article if you'd rather read) about it
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/structural-integrity/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Biplane posted:

Holy gently caress, was that the cartoon with the underwater smurfalikes, and a dude trapped in a sunken ship???

Snorks

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BrianBoitano posted:

They needed to be even more covert than that, because the fix wasn't in the basement. There are a series of angled beams directing corner loads to the center of each face, pointing at the stilts. These were not all concentrated around emergency stairwells, which might have been covert. No, no, this was the era when structural components moved back to the outside, allowing less overall steel use and taller buildings. Citicorp Center was, when built, the 7th tallest building in the world.

The result? Their covert after-hours fix happened in offices and common areas:

Beauty of an architecture component, don't you think?

Another aggravating factor in the vulnerability was introduced, as so many are, in construction when a change of design was proposed. To save money these angled beams were joined not with the originally-planned welds but with cheaper and quicker bolts. This lowered their strength, but calculations showed it'd be fine with the cardinal-directions winds. As Data Graham said, quartering winds weren't considered and the change was approved.

So the fix required welders coming in after-hours, taking off finishing from these structural components, welding on plates over the joints, then refinishing so it looked like all that occurred was a new paint job.

Oh, and a category 4 hurricane headed towards it 6 weeks into the repair. Thankfully it decided to just buzz the east coast and gently caress off to retire someplace vikings used to live.

Another fun thing about the "beams near the outside" design was the need for a tuned mass damper. Basically, this is a huge counterweight in the upper floors which moves to cancel out any vibrations that get started. This was original design, and quickly caught on because besides making it safer it made taller buildings less vomit-inducing.

Here's a fun video showing both the tuned mass damper and the emergency fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUImgTJHJOw&t=192s

e: added 2 pictures

This is really fascinating. I wonder just how often society comes close to collapsing (literally and figuratively) and we never know it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I, too, found this amazing. And to answer the question above: all the loving time. A lot of poo poo gets fixed in time, though.

Architects usually make pretty solid plans, and each piece in a plan needs to be a certain material, torque, etc. However, because money is so important to many people and they don't know what they are talking about, corners get cut all the time by others involved in the building process that probably didn't design it in the first place.

Then, when it gets realized those corners can't be cut they get a band-aid, thus the ever rising price of a building project. Essentially, every time you hear of a project going 'over budget' it's because someone either sold the idea with corners cut and then found out you can't cut them, or someone tried to get corners cut and it caused additional problems.

:capitalism:

This is not to say that architects are infallible, rather it's usually someone else that's the idiot.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

dialhforhero posted:

I, too, found this amazing. And to answer the question above: all the loving time. A lot of poo poo gets fixed in time, though.

Architects usually make pretty solid plans, and each piece in a plan needs to be a certain material, torque, etc. However, because money is so important to many people and they don't know what they are talking about, corners get cut all the time by others involved in the building process that probably didn't design it in the first place.

Then, when it gets realized those corners can't be cut they get a band-aid, thus the ever rising price of a building project. Essentially, every time you hear of a project going 'over budget' it's because someone either sold the idea with corners cut and then found out you can't cut them, or someone tried to get corners cut and it caused additional problems.

This is not to say that architects are infallible, rather it's usually someone else that's the idiot.

Didn't corner cutting and bandaid literally cause Chernobyl, or was that invented for the show

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Piss Meridian posted:

Didn't corner cutting and bandaid literally cause Chernobyl, or was that invented for the show

The show is extremely accurate, and if anything, toned down. There's a whole podcast about what they changed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wow! The Snorks! Hey, let's all sing the theme song together!

"Come along with the Snorks!"
.......*mumbles something*

Okay, that's all I remember.

They rode seahorses and shoved "Kelpburgers" into the protuberance jutting out their head.

It was pretty much " High school, but underwater?"
Main guy was your All-American sports star, and his lady interest.
There was a Rich bully-type guy. Maybe there was a Rich guy AND a Aggressive jock guy?

I watched that once, there's also a super-strong caveman snork and apparently some robots.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is really fascinating. I wonder just how often society comes close to collapsing (literally and figuratively) and we never know it.

in 2012 we missed a solar superflare by a few days that would have caused "serious damage to electronic systems on a global scale."

It's fun to imagine the idea of a solar flare suddenly destroying our electronics all over the planet. freedom!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

dialhforhero posted:

only the money motivation part is capitalism tbh, plenty of soviet projects had some middleman go "bah, how inefficient, i can finish this massive construction effort/sophisticated engineering feat in half the time!" and patted themselves on the back for being so clever until it all went horribly wrong
we're really kind of a fake-it-till-you-make-it species

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cables are unrealistically tidy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/PyronoidD/status/1280830457244979201

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

I've just realised that liquefied natural gas carriers combine the phallic shape of a tanker with the breast-like qualities of a storage tank thanks to this thread

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

dialhforhero posted:

In my experience of working through large builds, budgets are usually blown because of poor communication between architects and structural engineers that doesn’t get hashed out until subs are hired to do a realistic plan check.

Then it’s back-charge city and the developer and the architect and EOR battle it out to see who is responsible.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Inceltown posted:

#notallmen

:synpa:

drat forgot about this dude.

It almost looks like he's doing shots and listening to some blackmetal on headphones, but uh nope.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Owlkill posted:

I've just realised that liquefied natural gas carriers combine the phallic shape of a tanker with the breast-like qualities of a storage tank thanks to this thread

Who was that poster who had that av text that read PHALLIC SYMBOL PHALLIC SYMBOL

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think the student didn't get any credit too lol

Doesn't look like she got any credit at the time but she did get some later, and I think she wrote her PhD thesis on the citibank issue. Her name's Diane Hartley.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Owlkill posted:

LPG is stored in the balls?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dialhforhero posted:

Maybe the best thing about the Citigroup Center debacle is that it was caused by the architect LITERALLY cutting corners :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

StillFullyTerrible posted:

only the money motivation part is capitalism tbh, plenty of soviet projects had some middleman go "bah, how inefficient, i can finish this massive construction effort/sophisticated engineering feat in half the time!" and patted themselves on the back for being so clever until it all went horribly wrong
we're really kind of a fake-it-till-you-make-it species

Yeah, let's not discount the "suck up to the guy in charge" motive as a strong contender against the profit motive. Lysenkoism anyone

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Owlkill posted:

Gas is stored in the balls.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Maybe the best thing about the Citigroup Center debacle is that it was caused by the architect LITERALLY cutting corners :v:

Didn't the architect for the Walkie Talky in London get blamed for its BMW-melting death laser until he made clear that the developers cut out the anti-laser cladding.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Is there a permanent revolution thread?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

The Lone Badger posted:

LPG is stored in the balls?

no in the boobies

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Jul 10, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

captainOrbital posted:

in 2012 we missed a solar superflare by a few days that would have caused "serious damage to electronic systems on a global scale."

It's fun to imagine the idea of a solar flare suddenly destroying our electronics all over the planet. freedom!

In 2012 I was on life support for a respiratory infection and I definitely would have died if the machines had suddenly stopped working

So yeah, big missed opportunity there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

captainOrbital posted:

Only the ones that are turned on, right? So the old computers and scratched monitors in the back of my closet are safe? Once the electricity was restored I could go right back to playing, uh, Heroes of Might and Magic and the Sims or whatever lives on those ancient hard drives.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Only the ones that are turned on, right? So the old computers and scratched monitors in the back of my closet are safe? Once the electricity was restored I could go right back to playing, uh, Heroes of Might and Magic and the Sims or whatever lives on those ancient hard drives.

I'm probably wrong, but I think a coronal mass ejection can actually induce a current in electronics that are powered off, unless they are in something like a faraday cage.
Edit: I am wrong. It could induce a current in large conductors, so your computer would probably be fine, but on the other hand we probably wouldn't have power for them.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-flare-electronics.htm

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jul 10, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also how would you play on the old computers when the power grid is shot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I think a coronal mass ejection can actually induce a current in electronics that are powered off, unless they are in something like a faraday cage.
:(

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also how would you play on the old computers when the power grid is shot
:gonk:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

New design data centres and the like are generally all built to be giant Faraday cages. Though the design makes my job harder, I find them pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That has limited benefits if the power grid outside the data center is completely fried.