Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is late, but I always loved Ben Foster. From the jump, he enlivened whatever mediocre, bad, or okay films he was in. 30 Days of Night, 3:10 to Yuma...honestly Hell or High Water after rewatches is solid C+ or B- (it's totally fine), but he's fantastic in it (god are the two cops and their "connection" annoying, like Breaking Bad rejects, Jeff Bridges with that stupid mouth jammed full of cotton the whole movie).
I really would love to see him in like, every other movie, esp if he was doin some weird fuckin voice or act. Hell, there's an actor for the Joker (who also deserves better).

Don't forget Alpha Dog (which isn't a very good movie, but Foster is great in it) and Hostage (a well made but standard latter day bruce willis thriller utterly elevated by Ben Foster's villain, who sadly isn't the focus)

When he's the lead, he's real good, but he doesn't need to be to make a huge impact and elevate the film he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
He’s good with Chris Pine in both Hell or Highwater and Finest Hours.

Also I grew up with Flash Forward on Disney that he was in with the girl from Firefly

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lid posted:

Guy Pearce peaked in The Proposition

Guy Pearce peaked in Neighbours, just like Alan Dale.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

Also I grew up with Flash Forward on Disney that he was in with the girl from Firefly

They were both pretty great in that from what I recall. I was a few years past the target demo, and it was the only Disney show I could bear to watch with my younger siblings. It's always a treat to see Foster show up and steal scenes in everything he's been in since then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Argue posted:

There doesn't seem to be any credible source for this. That site just credits "Murphy's Multiverse", which says "more exciting is the inference that Keanu will return" and then included some Keanu fan art. Screenrant has an article titled "Keanu Reeves Returns as Constantine in the DC Reboot We Want" in the headlines but if you click it, the headline is "Keanu Reeves Returns as Constantine in Gritty Reboot Fan Art".

ugh

It's 2020 where a random post on reddit counts as a leak, anything for the clicks

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

ookiimarukochan posted:

Guy Pearce peaked in Neighbours, just like Alan Dale.

I just started watching Person of Interest and god, Jim from Neighbours was in loving everything for about a decade, wasn't he?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'd still love to learn how that movie made it to theaters with three separate introductions for the characters. I think it was going through their dossiers, then prison scenes, then action shots with their names on the screen. I guess they really liked that scene in the first Guardians.
I would like to know that, but more importantly I would like to know how they came to the decision to do back to back needle drops when introducing them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Barudak posted:

Jared Leto seems like a perfectly fine actor who keeps getting cast in roles that he doesnt fit right and I've grown to hate him purely because he seems an indicative mark that the film will have problems since they probably also cast him wrong.

He always gives me a similar vibe to Johnny Depp, just 10 years younger. They both made names for themselves as these beautifully androgynous sex symbols in their early career, and both tried to transition that into a kind of eccentric method actor respectability as they got older. Which nobody in 2020 wants, from either of them.

Either of their presences in a movie tell me, “expect a loud, quirky performance that‘s more about being memorable than serving the story.”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jared Leto is a cult leader, and possibly a CIA op.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My friends dragged me to it and i still kinda wish i could confront rdj and shake him down for the ticket price)

My brother called me last month claiming to have seen him at a gas station and the first thing I said was "tell him to apologize for iron man 3"

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Len posted:

It's 2020 where a random post on reddit counts as a leak, anything for the clicks

I was going to say this. We've managed to build a 24 hour news cycle by sourcing rumours, idle speculation, fan art, Chinese whispers and misunderstanding. The majority of our news, isn't.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ALFbrot posted:

Not really movie news, but I think it fits the theme of the thread:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ready-player-two-sets-november-publishing-date-1302284

I am extremely excited for this dumb poo poo

It’s just gonna be one long list of all the funko pops Ernest Cline owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jared Leto is a cult leader, and possibly a CIA op.

Probably a pedo too.

Pedo Leto

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Ready Player Two is coming out this fall, it probably means Cline will start writing it next month.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jared Leto is... possibly a CIA op.

:frogon:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/1280909962810585089?s=20

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The MSJ posted:

If Ready Player Two is coming out this fall, it probably means Cline will start writing it next month.

*Cline opens up Wikipedia, searches "Pop culture in the 90s"*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ready Player 2 is going to be a Fortnite wankfest

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

http://newlevellers.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-deep-politics-of-jared-letos-cult.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joss whedon is a TERF now

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1279583657544626177?s=21

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well we already knew he was a desperate fake-feminist creep, so it checks out

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I wonder if Cline will be mandated to stick to WB owned properties since they make the films.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd love an opportunity to personally bully Ernest Cline and Joss Whedon. No bodyguards.
im sure I could shove them on their backs and then just keep shoving them every time they tried to get up

It'd be a lot of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNOzWXb7RE

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jurassic World: Dominion filming halted as crew members test positive for Covid-19 on first day back on set

:ironicat:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why the gently caress is there a Ready Player Two? (I know, capitalism).

Like the gently caress? Is the next one actually "Yo I hosed up, encyclopedic knowledge of my white-rear end definition of pop culture sucks my dudes. Instead, LOOK AT THE 70S AND 80S CULTURE AND EARLY 00S INTERNET!"

Where in the holy gently caress do you go with that poo poo. Yikes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

Ready Player 2 is going to be a Fortnite wankfest

remember when the last Star Wars had major plot points revealed in Fortnite

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FilthyImp posted:

Like the gently caress? Is the next one actually "Yo I hosed up, encyclopedic knowledge of my white-rear end definition of pop culture sucks my dudes. Instead, LOOK AT THE 70S AND 80S CULTURE AND EARLY 00S INTERNET!"

Nowhere the first book hasn't gone before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FilthyImp posted:

Probably because his second book armada was so bad nobody would do the film adaptation.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Probably because his second book armada was so bad nobody would do the film adaptation.

I thought it had been optioned anyway.

In any event, quality and plot doesn't matter. Adapting something is just brand name recognition, they can change the entire plot, throw out all the characters, do whatever. There's no such thing as "so bad".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Universal have released a statement saying this is a hoax and filming is proceeding as planned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I for one can’t wait to see what kind of insane poopsocking setup Cline dreams up for his Marty Sue protagonist and describes in excruciating ten-page detail for this book.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"i dont need to JO because I got a jizz tube suctioning me off at all hours of the day"

this is of course portrayed as utopian and not dystopian

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

The funny thing is, the book Ready Player One actually does end with the game creator telling the protagonist, "Hey, maybe this was a bad idea and you should just delete the Oasis because it hosed up society." I also remember the book ending with the protagonist telling the girl "I love you" and her responding something like "Oh... uh...." Those stuck out for me as being fairly self-aware for a book that was completely absent of that until that point.

Also skimming the Wikipedia article now, and apparently Cline based the African-American lesbian character on Harry Knowles!? Uh, what the gently caress?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh yeah the black lesbian character is a messssssssss. and the two japanese characters who bow everytime they appear and talk about "honour" a lot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't see how it could get any worse than the first book.

A statement I make specifically so that I can look back and chuckle at my past naïveté.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why would you adapt Armada when the movie already came out in 1984?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's almost like Star Wars has a track record of having plot events happen outside the movies

And text crawls that reference things that were never shown

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Len posted:

It's almost like Star Wars has a track record of having plot events happen outside the movies

And text crawls that reference things that were never shown

It's like they came up with an amazing intro sequence which reveals that *gasp* Palpatine is alive! And then the Lucasfilm intern asked what would be in the opening crawl.

Fortnite didn't get a super duper exclusive, it got something that was left on cutting room floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

DC is getting into the "things happening outside of the movies" thing with a Gotham PD tv series based in the same universe as the upcoming The Batman movie