Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So I made a subtle improvement to that page:

Then this happened:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't like how long it took me to realize what was different about any of those images

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The big guy's nose is upsetting in profile.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, what is the action taken by the big ugly guy? He pushed his arm halfway forward, his hair fluttered backwards, and Snout flew back ten feet. Is the intention that he’s just a mega powerful super wizard who can knock Snout aside with the flick of a wrist, or is this just Mookie’s complete lack of ability muddying the scene?

I also have no loving clue what “X ENDINGS” means because the plot is completely forgettable and only shows up once every two weeks in a big text dump I can’t be bothered to read

If this were a real comic being written by someone who doesn't eat paint, I would say skullet shot a magical blast of wind out of his hand at Snout, which is why he's being pushed backwards in a perfectly straight line and why the pages from his book are being scattered and blown around instead of just falling on the ground. My basis for this would be that the artist didn't draw the windup for a punch before and didn't show me the followthrough of a punch after, so I should not assume a punch has taken place. There would also probably be some motion lines in this version.

The actual answer is Mookie doesn't know you're supposed to draw the windup and then the followthrough to a punch without showing the actual impact to make it clear what has actually happened, so I assume next comic they're going to tell us skullet gave Snout an open palm strike like a martial artist. He's definitely got monk on his character sheet from whichever of Mookie's old dnd games he dug him up from, hence the big piece of fabric on his waist.

Not that we're going to get an answer to this soon (or ever, realistically) but is skullet an ink witch? Can males be ink witches? Why does inkwich 2.0 need him here? It's not as a bodyguard since the mild edge doesn't actually affect ink magic.

EDIT: I also did not notice the face replace was an edit initially. Great job.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 10, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Van Kraken posted:

Imagine witnessing an argument where you have literally no idea what it's about, then intervening when it's over to wordlessly hand one of the participants this while glaring at them:

:allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's not as a bodyguard since the mild edge doesn't actually affect ink magic.

We have been explicitly shown that it does affect ink magic, with the "wayfinder spell" the ink witch disguised herself as and her ship crashing because of it. Of course, the ink witch could have been lying about that, but I think if that were the case it would have been found out within half a strip.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the ink witch says her getting nude and cuddly is also ink magic because that made it okay.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

There's something about Snout's naivete that is really grating to me. Like here we see that he reacts to conflict like a child, getting angry that people are fighting and deamnding that they stop. And because he's portrayed as so innocent, what we're seeing is like watching someone kick a puppy. But the fact that he's obviously the stand-in for the author, that he's been in all these weird sexual situations with the Ink witch, and that his deafness cutshim off from understanding situations until they are spelled out to him by the other characters just lends this almost fetishistic quality to things, like his relative helplessness and lack of agency is the point. Just feels weird and uncomfortable.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's really irritating how Snout keeps getting all self righteous and petulant about people fighting when he genuinely has no idea how valid or not anyone's complaints are.

Also he should really just write a sign that says "stop fighting" instead of using the Endings one as if that will mean anything.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Especially as has been pointed out going by the symbols on her divinations it's like basically the equivalent of a death tarot card, so just angrily pushing it in someone's face could definitely be seen as a threat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Little Death posted:

what we're seeing is like watching someone kick a puppy.

It's almost impressive how the opposite is true and while I would straight up get mad enough to get my arse kicked over someone kicking a puppy, I'm laughing at this fucker getting repeatedly owned.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Tesseraction posted:

It's almost impressive how the opposite is true and while I would straight up get mad enough to get my arse kicked over someone kicking a puppy, I'm laughing at this fucker getting repeatedly owned.

I should have said "what mookie's going for" is the feeling of someone kicking a puppy. Snout doesn't understand the situation and is getting hurt by it, it's supposed to get you angry. It doesn't work, but I just see what Mookie's trying to do and it creeps me out. His treatment of deafness is really terrible. It's gross.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Snout's problem isn't that he's deaf, it's that he's incredibly stupid.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
This isn't the first piece of media I've seen that seems to equate deafness with "inability to read a room". In reality, Snout just has a very simplistic way of viewing reality that has nothing to do with his disabilities. Which, I suppose, is meant to be charming? It seems like Mookie might be going for the Messiah arc-type, where Snout is meant to be very compassionate and willing to overlook people's flaws for the sake of better understanding them.

It's just like, Snout is so bad at understanding, and his attempts at peacekeeping are so simplistic and inept that it's failing to work for me. Also, again, his complete lack of coherent motivation for being involved with this at all keeps distracting from any show of virtue he might have.

He's just remarkably incurious despite that supposedly being his defining motivation. Like, you'd think that a character whose driving force is curiosity and compassion might ask these newcomers what's wrong as opposed to angrily shoving a Death tarot in their face when they arrive with grievances against Arudak and Ink Witch that may be entirely justified.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You'd also think that someone whose defining trait is curiosity wouldn't be living as a hermit a scant few miles away from a city made up of people just like him, but here we are.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...yeah Snout is just the next prophet of the Word of Deegan, huh. Or at least an overly simplistic and reductionist fundamentalist view of a saint/prophet.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Little Death posted:

There's something about Snout's naivete that is really grating to me. Like here we see that he reacts to conflict like a child, getting angry that people are fighting and deamnding that they stop. And because he's portrayed as so innocent, what we're seeing is like watching someone kick a puppy. But the fact that he's obviously the stand-in for the author, that he's been in all these weird sexual situations with the Ink witch, and that his deafness cutshim off from understanding situations until they are spelled out to him by the other characters just lends this almost fetishistic quality to things, like his relative helplessness and lack of agency is the point. Just feels weird and uncomfortable.

I think the problem is that Mookie sees Snout more as pure than innocent. He’s a simple country boy going on an adventure to satisfy his own curiosity, who doesn’t understand modern society and their conflicts. Mookie’s just so bad at writing that his idea of someone who’s pure is a complete and total idiot. Snout’s so pure that he’s never even experienced basic concepts like buying a book or understands that someone might have ill intentions for him (unless that someone fits a child’s idea of a scary monster, like a demon or a Minotaur).
Snout's only personality trait is liking books because it makes him look so pure of heart, and despite it being his sole interest Snout has shown a total lack of knowledge about anything. He only enjoys spooning because it gives him dreams of idyllic countrysides and not cause he gets to rub his gross hog up against a woman he doesn't know. Snout refuses to have a negative opinion about anyone because surely whatever personal beefs they have are just a misunderstanding. And since Mookie just randomly decided to make Snout deaf when he started this comic it's all blended together to look like a pretty insensitive portrayal of someone in that community.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah a ton of the twitter comments are people who like how good of a guy Snout is. Mookie clearly feeds on that.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You'd also think that someone whose defining trait is curiosity wouldn't be living as a hermit a scant few miles away from a city made up of people just like him, but here we are.

Yeah, this tidbit is still killing me... it feels like Mookie set Snout up as a hermit because it was convenient for cultivating his sense of naivety and not because it suited his personality at all.

Hostile V posted:

...yeah Snout is just the next prophet of the Word of Deegan, huh. Or at least an overly simplistic and reductionist fundamentalist view of a saint/prophet.

That's what I expect, yeah. I imagine that Snout is supposed to be some special new breed of prophet, perhaps specific to some Deegan created school of dream bullshit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, this tidbit is still killing me... it feels like Mookie set Snout up as a hermit because it was convenient for cultivating his sense of naivety and not because it suited his personality at all.

More than likely Mookie set Snout up as a hermit because he had no idea where he was going with any of this poo poo more than a few pages ahead.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snout's problem isn't that he's deaf, it's that he's incredibly stupid.

I was about to make some joke about being dear and dumb, and then I remembered that dumb as a general insult came about because of the mistreatment of people with disabilities and then I made myself generally sad and annoyed at myself for thinking of that in the first place.

Basically, I'm annoyed at Mookie for reminding me that I'm pond scum.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Riot Bus posted:

That's what I expect, yeah. I imagine that Snout is supposed to be some special new breed of prophet, perhaps specific to some Deegan created school of dream bullshit.
Like, as an American who went to a public school and went to a church for a while, this entire thing reminds me of revisionist histories of saints and social movements? In my school they painted the Civil Rights movement as a bunch of Black folks sitting around peacefully as they got beaten and sprayed with fire-hoses and attacked by dogs and lynched until things changed as if the racists and bigots just got so dang tired of beating on the marginalized they got aaaaaaall tuckered out and sat down and thought "well sheesh maybe we should give them equal rights..." And while my church experience wasn't awful and was mostly about explaining the Bible as metaphor and Baby's First Gnosticism thanks to a really cool youth preacher, whenever we met up with less critically-minded churches you could just see the lack of nuance and the broad strokes and inability to really question the stories. White Americans of a certain level of privilege are more or less told that the best way to affect change or carry a message is to just do a nice thing peacefully until it works except for the fact that it's all stripped-down sanitized poo poo that discounts people actually carrying the water or punching up to affect change.

What the gently caress does this have to do with Snout? Well. It's been a loving year and 8 days (christ) since this whole revival started and Snout just sticks out as a masterclass in being written by a white American man trying to write a prophet or a saint or what-have-you. The stories are watered-down so the debates over heresy and defending the doctrine you'd see in past religious movements are just like "Snout had a little moment of doubt until he didn't". Snout is purestrain Good Ineffectual Reactive Hero in that he's deaf so you know he's an underdog hero who doesn't fit in with society but will probably affect great cultural change and like American education portrayals of social movements he doesn't do much besides be like "I will stand around and make my statement and that'll be good enough to change minds". He has no agency. All he does is respond to the ever-changing whims of the world around him. Someone else does the heavy lifting and sometimes he has a moment of doubt until he doesn't.

Snout is probably one of the more...interesting and effective products of the circumstances that allow him to exist. Like he sucks and he's boring but tracing everything back to the root ingredients and how they're cooked and molded and served by questioning poo poo around us is interesting.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Hostile V posted:

It's been a loving year and 8 days

no loving way

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

rudecyrus posted:

no loving way

Or three days since Snout's house exploded, however you prefer to mark the time.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Everything about Snout's deafness is made infinitely worse by deaf characters like General Amaya here existing (spoilers for The Dragon Prince, season 3. There is no reason, literally none whatsover, for Snout to be this incapable of communication beyond making him seem as childlike and helpless as possible. Like this show went out of its way to add ASL, a complex language which necessitates focus on one of the most difficult parts of the body to draw and animate, and he has this guy holding up pieces of paper with Xs on them when he gets mad about a conversation that, once again, he has been excluded from for no reason.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 11, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dragon Prince was better than anyone had reason to expect and a large part of that was the sheer effort that was put into it.

Meanwhile, Mookie doesn't want to tell a story about a deaf person and has put zero effort into actually researching what life is like for the deaf.

He wants to tell a story about a dumb idiot* who feels cut off from the world for reasons Mookie wants to believe are beyond his* control but are directly caused by his* own staggering incompetence; even though Mookie has a powerful need to believe he* could make the whole world better if only people would stop and pay attention to all the important things he* has to say. Despite showing time and time again that he* has nothing to add but his own idle musings and everyone around him* is conspiring to give him* everything he wants.

* Mookie or Snout, take your pick

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 11, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is my actual limit. I could take the pointless slapstick filler, the weird and traced art, the character writing that made no sense and the distinct lack of a plot. Reading that at least mostly just left me baffled, and there was some amusement to be found in analysing those slapdash events and drawings that were clearly nonsensical.

But this is just... poo poo. It's like the author decided to drop in an entirely different comic strip for no reason other than to try and define a clear villain. It removes even the accidental ambiguity of the earlier characters, adds pointless and shallow conflict but most importantly it is nonsensical in a way that doesn't entertain, it just annoys .

We have no idea who these people are other than random assholes, and them attacking Snout for no reason at all doesn't create tension or drama, it just annoys the reader.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

evilmiera posted:

We have no idea who these people are other than random assholes, and them attacking Snout for no reason at all doesn't create tension or drama, it just annoys the reader.

Sure we do, one is Rannon Mhorgs, and he is evil because he is evil. The other is boobs, and she is evil because boobs.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's not even any fun to make fun of because nothing ever actually happens.

Good luck, shitposters, I'm out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also Mookie confirmed on Twitter that that the ink witch and the orc guy are "his friends" so we can expect the ambiguity to die for both of them entirely now.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1281620954809085953

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

VanSandman posted:

It's not even any fun to make fun of because nothing ever actually happens.

Good luck, shitposters, I'm out.

I am in this until the end. I will not allow Mookie to defeat me.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i can not loving believe he's walking around in some good 'ol boy overalls with "DEAF" written on the front holy poo poo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

evilmiera posted:

This is my actual limit. I could take the pointless slapstick filler, the weird and traced art, the character writing that made no sense and the distinct lack of a plot. Reading that at least mostly just left me baffled, and there was some amusement to be found in analysing those slapdash events and drawings that were clearly nonsensical.

But this is just... poo poo. It's like the author decided to drop in an entirely different comic strip for no reason other than to try and define a clear villain. It removes even the accidental ambiguity of the earlier characters, adds pointless and shallow conflict but most importantly it is nonsensical in a way that doesn't entertain, it just annoys .

It is an extremely mookie thing to see readers being conflicted about your characters and to think "oh no, I didn't want my characters to have this much depth!". It sucks even more because we can tell mookie has poo poo-all for character plans. We know that the Ink Witch is a designated good guy because he wants to gently caress her and that's all, there's probably a handful of things that mookie wants to have happen to resolve the ~mystery of Dominic Deegan~ by the end of Legacy and that everything else is freeform around them (to the point that the real villain introduction was clearly fast-tracked to ensure no-one thinks the Ink Witch might be a bad person again). So he has the creative freedom to pick up the accidental depth of character and rework the Ink Witch's role in the story into something neat or interested, and he is refusing that freedom.

We know mookie's not reading this thread because he did react to criticism on a different platform, but in the off chance that that's wrong: it's not too loving late to muddle the waters and make the Ink Witch something other than a good guy. You can still do it.

fake edit: also give the Ink Witch a loving name it's tiring to write that out every time jesus gently caress

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pyrotoad posted:

Everything about Snout's deafness is made infinitely worse by deaf characters like General Amaya here existing (spoilers for The Dragon Prince, season 3. There is no reason, literally none whatsover, for Snout to be this incapable of communication beyond making him seem as childlike and helpless as possible. Like this show went out of its way to add ASL, a complex language which necessitates focus on one of the most difficult parts of the body to draw and animate, and he has this guy holding up pieces of paper with Xs on them when he gets mad about a conversation that, once again, he has been excluded from for no reason.
Honestly, it's pretty reasonable that he was excluded — this is long-running beef and he's just some random dipshit who wandered in. He hasn't been involved in the majority of the conflict, the newcomers have no reason to even consider him involved, and he's also been characterized as a naïve idiot, so there's not much of a reason for (Good Because Protagonist) Ink Witch or Orc Whose Name I Forgot to loop him in.

For the rest of that, I've heard some good stuff about The Dragon Prince, but that's pretty cool. It's also a brutal condemnation for how half-assedly Snout's deafness has affected the story.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 11, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Marin Karin posted:

i can not loving believe he's walking around in some good 'ol boy overalls with "DEAF" written on the front holy poo poo

DEAF or DGAF? :whatup:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Elysiume posted:

For the rest of that, I've heard some good stuff about The Dragon Prince, but that's pretty cool. It's also a brutal condemnation for how half-assedly Snout's deafness has affected the story.

Overall, it’s decent, but it unfortunately took until the last season for it to start really feeling like a worthy successor to Avatar... and even then, it had it’s stumbles. Mainly for the exact opposite reason than this strip: it paced itself a bit too fast at points.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This may end up being a more insulting depiction of the hearing impaired than The Quiet Man.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

This may end up being a more insulting depiction of the hearing impaired than The Quiet Man.

They both made their deaf protagonists look like morons, but I think I agree. If nothing else the Quiet Man didn't come off as utterly infantile.

I think that's what impresses me. Mookie managed to make an incredibly insulting character completely by accident because off his inability to write a character with agency.