Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Imagined posted:

Speaking of obsolete car technology, does anyone really buy aftermarket car stereos anymore?

Three years ago I had to replace my stereo from the POS I drove as a commuter when the OEM unit decided to die on me. Bought the cheapest one with Bluetooth, AUX and CD-player, and drove that to the scrapyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Aftermarket steros do still exist. The problems are that for most people, the stock ones cover use cases. Aux in and Bluetooth are much more common.
There are still alot of older vehicles on the road, that can easily slot in an aftermarket.

Alot of radios are built in as part of the dash, or integrated with poo poo like GPS or HVAC controls. Makes it WAY more expensive, to almost impossible to replace.
Just think about how dashes on alot of cars have been for the last 10 years. You can't just pull the old one out, and slap a new aftermarket in.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagined posted:

But I remember semi-fondly the cheesy flashiness of aftermarket stereos, and having to take the faceplate off and carry it with me because car stereos were such a commonly stolen item. Not to mention the huge sleeves of CDs you kept in the car that almost everyone my age has a story about having stolen.

I still have a lot of nostalgia for the absolute ridiculous flashiness of stereos back then

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Imagined posted:

Speaking of obsolete car technology, does anyone really buy aftermarket car stereos anymore?

I've seen them on the shelf at stores before, but I feel like they're mostly obsolete with cars made in the last 15 years. After nearly 50 years of putting the shittiest radios and speakers in cars, they wised up and made them sound decent. The last two cars I've had even had a built in amp, remember having to install those things to make it sound good?

It's a tiny thing, but I found the amp in my current car when I was looking for a hidden USB port bundled up behind the console. Unfortunately Chrysler didn't switch to a universal harness until the next model year, so no USB for me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I used to be big into car audio and aftermarket crap. I even had a Ford Focus "MACH" edition that had a factory installed dual voice coil sub and 2 amps. When that car was totaled I ripped the sub out and ended up installing it in the 2 cars I had after that.

But once I got my first car with a factory headunit that could actually play MP3s. I realized that was all I really wanted and pretty much gave up on aftermarket stuff.

The factory radio in my current vehicle (2017 Volt) has more functionality than any aftermarket unit I've ever had.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Johnny Aztec posted:

You can't just pull the old one out, and slap a new aftermarket in.

Tbqh yes you can. China adapted their production to new cars and tesla tablet trend so abominations were born

Aftermarket lives on!

Also many cars have carplay/android car audio things as expensive options so an aftermarket with integrated carplay is a really good option

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I keep threatening to go get a 1500W mono amp and some 12" subwoofers installed in the civic. Throw a fancy rear end light system in there, maybe a 4x 150W amp for the 6x9s in the back.

That was all the rage in high school back in 1998-2001. Can't have lovely numetal banging without the giant overpriced flashy loving Rockford Fosgate and poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Tbqh yes you can. China adapted their production to new cars and tesla tablet trend so abominations were born

Aftermarket lives on!

Also many cars have carplay/android car audio things as expensive options so an aftermarket with integrated carplay is a really good option

Well just because it exists on AliExpress doesn’t mean it can actually control everything.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Well just because it exists on AliExpress doesn’t mean it can actually control everything.

A/c controls are tricky to connect but you can buy one on amazon and try out yourself

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Imagined posted:

Speaking of obsolete car technology, does anyone really buy aftermarket car stereos anymore? I bought aftermarket stereos for my first three cars, but haven't since 2006 or so, a combination of CDs going by the wayside and OEM standard equipment getting a lot better until you could say they're "good enough" for most people, which absolutely was NOT true in the 90s or before. Hell my 2014 VW has drat good speakers, and I didn't get any special package.

But I remember semi-fondly the cheesy flashiness of aftermarket stereos, and having to take the faceplate off and carry it with me because car stereos were such a commonly stolen item. Not to mention the huge sleeves of CDs you kept in the car that almost everyone my age has a story about having stolen.

Actually it kind of feels like cars just don't get broken into as often as they used to in general. It's been almost 20 years since the last time it happened to me, and I can't remember the last time anyone I know told me it happened to them, but in the 90s and early 2000s it feels like it was really common.

My last car was stolen twice, and found both times with the aftermarket stereo ripped out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Imagined posted:

Speaking of obsolete car technology, does anyone really buy aftermarket car stereos anymore? I bought aftermarket stereos for my first three cars, but haven't since 2006 or so, a combination of CDs going by the wayside and OEM standard equipment getting a lot better until you could say they're "good enough" for most people, which absolutely was NOT true in the 90s or before. Hell my 2014 VW has drat good speakers, and I didn't get any special package.

Actually it kind of feels like cars just don't get broken into as often as they used to in general. It's been almost 20 years since the last time it happened to me, and I can't remember the last time anyone I know told me it happened to them, but in the 90s and early 2000s it feels like it was really common.

The last two cars I've had you couldn't replace the head unit because of all the built in car system stuff(2007 VW, and 2013 Infiniti). But I installed a subwoofer and amp in both those cars without loving with the head unit. The Infiniti has one of the better factory systems I've ever owned, but still not great without extra bass. The VW sounded like hot garbage, but again, add a sub and it really really improves things...esp since it had horrible road noise that can't really be fixed.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Everyone: Car makers, please just give us Android Auto and CarPlay.
Carmakers: How about a loving awful bespoke infotainment system which does almost a quarter of the stuff CarPlay does, only shittier and we want subscription money for it.
Everyone: Please, Android Auto and CarPlay.
Carmakers: You want to go four menus deep on a resistive touchscreen to change the blower motor speed? Sure!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Horace posted:

Everyone: Car makers, please just give us Android Auto and CarPlay.
Carmakers: How about a loving awful bespoke infotainment system which does almost a quarter of the stuff CarPlay does, only shittier and we want subscription money for it.
Everyone: Please, Android Auto and CarPlay.
Carmakers: You want to go four menus deep on a resistive touchscreen to change the blower motor speed? Sure!

My VW didn't have an AUX jack, just an ipod dock...I found this plug that could convert it but it was only sold for a few years and ended up breaking, becoming super obsolite as that type of ipod dock isn't used anymore. Thankfully I have bluetooth now...but this product is the best thing ever to deal with lack of android auto and also a good use of that dumb rear end CD player

It clamps into the CD slot and is way sturdier than the vent style docks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my current car is from 2008 and i really hope my next one wont have a stupid touch screen instead of just knobs and buttons

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Antioch posted:

I keep threatening to go get a 1500W mono amp and some 12" subwoofers installed in the civic. Throw a fancy rear end light system in there, maybe a 4x 150W amp for the 6x9s in the back.

I've got that down as a potential midlife crisis.

If my next vehicle has the capability, I may well do it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The factory headunit in my 2013 Subaru BRZ was hot garbage so I replaced it with this fairly plain Sony:

It took Subaru and Toyota forever to put in a CarPlay/Android Auto capable unit in these cars (2018 for Subaru, 2020 for Toyota) and would cost a lot more to retrofit one of those than going aftermarket.

This has CarPlay and can play CDs which were my main requirements. I thought having a physical volume knob was one as well, but what I've found is that I would rather have a one button off or mute function, neither of which this has.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm not one of those "phones should have BUTTONS" people, but I really hate cars with touchscreen infotainment systems. 1. Being able to adjust things without taking my eyes off the road is kind of important. 2. I tend to own cars for ten years or so, so the idea of using a 15-year-old interface isn't great. I already update my phone every 2 or 3 years - just give me a button for Bluetooth connection and be done with it.

My current car has some old-rear end GPS system that you control with a joystick. The maps are all circa 2008 and the only way to update it is by inserting an update disc into a DVD drive in the glove box (that DVD drive ONLY exists to update the maps). The updates cost several hundred dollars from Mazda, or you can find someone on a forum to sell you a burned copy for less.

I do appreciate cars that can tell you useful things like gas mileage, which I assume is all of them these days.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Imagined posted:

Both my pickup and my wife's car have been broken into while sitting in our driveway, a total of 3 break-ins over the last 3 years. The pickup got a screwdriver jammed in the driver's side lock (loving up the sheet metal, wish they'd have just busted a window since I have $0 glass deductible...), but our brain genius thief couldn't figure out how to disconnect the antenna cable from my ham radio so he left it dangling and just took the truck's owner's manual instead.

One of my wife's friends had her car broken into multiple times within a couple months at the university parking lot.

Albuquerque's full of scumbag addicts who'll happily do $1000 of damage in exchange for a couple bucks from the center console, though. Crazy high auto burglary rates down here.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

LifeSunDeath posted:

My VW didn't have an AUX jack, just an ipod dock...I found this plug that could convert it but it was only sold for a few years and ended up breaking, becoming super obsolite as that type of ipod dock isn't used anymore.

Yeah, this is the sort of bullshit you have to deal with. For my last two cars I've had to buy special cables to enable aux-in and then rip the console apart to install them because the manufacturer just had to make it part of an option pack. Before the Bluetooth era it was all about needing phone specific (and usually unobtainable) phone cradles to use the built in hands free.

DrChu posted:

The factory headunit in my 2013 Subaru BRZ was hot garbage so I replaced it with this fairly plain Sony:

It took Subaru and Toyota forever to put in a CarPlay/Android Auto capable unit in these cars (2018 for Subaru, 2020 for Toyota) and would cost a lot more to retrofit one of those than going aftermarket.

This has CarPlay and can play CDs which were my main requirements. I thought having a physical volume knob was one as well, but what I've found is that I would rather have a one button off or mute function, neither of which this has.

26 minutes late :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

My VW didn't have an AUX jack, just an ipod dock...I found this plug that could convert it but it was only sold for a few years and ended up breaking, becoming super obsolite as that type of ipod dock isn't used anymore. Thankfully I have bluetooth now...but this product is the best thing ever to deal with lack of android auto and also a good use of that dumb rear end CD player

It clamps into the CD slot and is way sturdier than the vent style docks

i guess this isnt really obsolete tech and i dont want to sound like a shill but proclip usa makes the very best phone mounts in the world. they basically integrate the phone in to the dash

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pham Nuwen posted:

Albuquerque's full of scumbag addicts who'll happily do $1000 of damage in exchange for a couple bucks from the center console, though. Crazy high auto burglary rates down here.
The trend in LA has been identity theft through random credit card or document info in the vehicle, or false sales by taking the pink slip (lol yeah people carry those sometimes) to get a loan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

wa27 posted:

I'm not one of those "phones should have BUTTONS" people, but I really hate cars with touchscreen infotainment systems. 1. Being able to adjust things without taking my eyes off the road is kind of important.

yeah i just want to be able to adjust the fans and stuff by touch, and physical buttons also break less easily than an electrical system. i basically want my car to be fully analog with just an input aux port for external audio, like my current car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DrChu posted:

Toyobarus are one of the only cars these days that has a double-DIN because the target market is nominally tuners and car mod people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i just want to be able to adjust the fans and stuff by touch, and physical buttons also break less easily than an electrical system. i basically want my car to be fully analog with just an input aux port for external audio, like my current car
The Volt gen1 was like alllllll touch bullshit and the gen2 revision added in a physical wheel control for volume since touch controls suck rear end for that poo poo

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I currently use a Clip+. One for audiobooks and another for music.

I still have this:

But the 30Gb version. When I first bought it, it was much cheaper than an iPod.

I unironically loved the style of these more than the iPods of that era, so sue me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

i guess this isnt really obsolete tech and i dont want to sound like a shill but proclip usa makes the very best phone mounts in the world. they basically integrate the phone in to the dash

I actually ordered a proclip setup but they ended up being out of stock for my car and I never attempted to get it again. What I meant was the CD player was obsolete, so turning it into a very well placed phone holder rules...also where mine is it's in a much better spot than where the proclip was going to sit, down near the shifter.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I actually ordered a proclip setup but they ended up being out of stock for my car and I never attempted to get it again. What I meant was the CD player was obsolete, so turning it into a very well placed phone holder rules...also where mine is it's in a much better spot than where the proclip was going to sit, down near the shifter.

fair enough, i guess i just did want to shill for proclip :)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Imagined posted:

I used to drive a Miata as my daily and I worried about people cutting the roof to get inside so I just used to leave my doors unlocked instead. I had my tollbooth change taken a couple times but the most annoying thing stolen was the hat that I kept in the car for driving with the top down (I’m bald and a sunburned head sucks)

I installed an aftermarket stereo but the way modern cars are you have to remove the entire console to get to them and this has the side effect of making them difficult to steal, or you have can’t even install one at all because they are tied into other things in the car (my Fiesta ST was like that)

I see car stereos at thrift stores all the time so I think the market for stolen stereos has just dried up.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Jul 10, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

fair enough, i guess i just did want to shill for proclip :)

yeah I was super excited about getting a proclip, it didn't even show out of stock when I ordered it, customer service told me a few days in that they had to make new parts and I could either refund or wait. Also the proclip setup was over 100 bux, the CD slot clip was like 20 bucks. That said, wonder how good it would have been with different phone cases, cause it wasn't adjustable just like a friction fit on the actual phone cradle part...also the only positions they offered were down by shiftier on drivers side, or to the right side of the head unit, both of which were problematic.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah I was super excited about getting a proclip, it didn't even show out of stock when I ordered it, customer service told me a few days in that they had to make new parts and I could either refund or wait. Also the proclip setup was over 100 bux, the CD slot clip was like 20 bucks. That said, wonder how good it would have been with different phone cases, cause it wasn't adjustable just like a friction fit on the actual phone cradle part...also the only positions they offered were down by shiftier on drivers side, or to the right side of the head unit, both of which were problematic.

yeah you gotta specify if you have a case like an otterbox, a thin case or no case because the holders are millimeter precise. kind of locks you in to having the same phone for a while too, but i only upgrade phones like every 5 years so that isn't a problem. they had 3 mounting position options for my Focus and i think they 3d print everything on demand but yes, sometimes you gotta wait.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

boar guy posted:

yeah you gotta specify if you have a case like an otterbox, a thin case or no case because the holders are millimeter precise. kind of locks you in to having the same phone for a while too, but i only upgrade phones like every 5 years so that isn't a problem.
I appreciate that they offer an adjustable holder in my case (no pun intended), because my husband and I both drive our main car and have two different models of phone. Thanks for mentioning this place! :tipshat: My old rear end isn't ready to write off the CD player just yet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

yeah you gotta specify if you have a case like an otterbox, a thin case or no case because the holders are millimeter precise. kind of locks you in to having the same phone for a while too, but i only upgrade phones like every 5 years so that isn't a problem. they had 3 mounting position options for my Focus and i think they 3d print everything on demand but yes, sometimes you gotta wait.

Oh lol, they sell adjustable cradles now...

The mount positions are still bad for my car so I'm not gonna attempt getting this againg tho.

both are so low and out of sight line it's just not safe.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I appreciate that they offer an adjustable holder in my case (no pun intended), because my husband and I both drive our main car and have two different models of phone. Thanks for mentioning this place! :tipshat: My old rear end isn't ready to write off the CD player just yet.

they sometimes have 50% off sales on major holidays so try to time the buy properly :)

LifeSunDeath posted:

The mount positions are still bad for my car so I'm not gonna attempt getting this againg tho.

both are so low and out of sight line it's just not safe.

yeah that's horrible. no left side option?

mine's great, like i said. i can operate everything on my phone without even taking my hand off the shift knob. might go with the sideways/landscape mount option on a future phone.

boar guy has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Jul 10, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

they sometimes have 50% off sales on major holidays so try to time the buy properly :)

yeah that's horrible. no left side option?

nope, I thought you might be able to flip it but it's fitted to the curve of the right side only

actually I don't know, you might be able to flip it but it doesn't say this anywhere in the instructions/specs

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah that bigass clock integrated right in the middle looks like it makes things tough. what car and phone?

also I meant, left side of the steering wheel. a lot of their stuff offers that option now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

yeah that bigass clock integrated right in the middle looks like it makes things tough. what car and phone?

also I meant, left side of the steering wheel. a lot of their stuff offers that option now

2013 Infiniti G37. Those are the only mount positions for my car.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I had a CD mount for a while but found it got wobbly every week or two and had to be retightened, plus I got tired of fiddling with the phone brackets, so I got a mount that glues onto the dash and just stuck it to the flattest spot on the console I could find, and this one is magnetic so I just inserted a flat piece of metal in between my phone and the case. I also found the aux jack from my phone isn't nearly as loud as playing a CD or the radio, so I got a little portable headphone amp that lives in the car and gives it some more oomph.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

I used to drive a Miata as my daily and I worried about people cutting the roof to get inside so I just used to leave my doors unlocked instead. I had my tollbooth change taken a couple times but the most annoying thing stolen was the hat that I kept in the car for driving with the top down (I’m bald and a sunburned head sucks)

I installed an aftermarket stereo but the way modern cars are you have to remove the entire console to get to them and this has the side effect of making them difficult to steal, or you have can’t even install one at all because they are tied into other things in the car (my Fiesta ST was like that)

I see car stereos at thrift stores all the time so I think the market for stolen stereos has just dried up.
Hey miata buddy. I installed this $30 HU in mine and although I ha to DIY the harness adapter and mount, it was a pretty easy install otherwise. It does feel a bit slow but usable and BT A2DP and handsfree stuff works well (though nobody can hear me when I'm actually driving lol) so no complaints there.

Blindeye posted:

I unironically loved the style of these more than the iPods of that era, so sue me.
drat right, no wireless and less space than a Nomad.

Still have mine too, actually I even charged the battery last week to see what's up and it works perfectly fine. Hell 60GB is still a pretty impressive amount of music, even my Note9 only has 128 gigs of storage and most of it is taken up with app data and recorded videos so I don't even have that much space for music on a phone that was 1 grand two years ago.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

The last two cars I've had you couldn't replace the head unit because of all the built in car system stuff(2007 VW, and 2013 Infiniti). But I installed a subwoofer and amp in both those cars without loving with the head unit. The Infiniti has one of the better factory systems I've ever owned, but still not great without extra bass. The VW sounded like hot garbage, but again, add a sub and it really really improves things...esp since it had horrible road noise that can't really be fixed.

What VW? Because I had a 2008 Rabbit and the first thing I did was replace the garbage stereo. I currently have a 2011 VW Sportwagen as well as a 2007 Ridgeline, and I put aftermarket stereos in both of them.

I’ve never owned a car that I kept a factory stereo in. Especially now with CarPlay being an option. If my next car supports it from the factory, I might not replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

DrChu posted:

I did literally exactly this in a 2012 outback.

e. Also a double DIN situation.