Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Trip Report: I picked up GGxRD and Tekken 7 during the steam sale, going with two because it was cheap. So far I've started tinkering with Tekken 7 and (as a newcomer to the series) I've learned juuuust enough to begin to appreciate why Tekken is called the world's most technical fighter.

I'd like to get good. So far I think my favorite character is Ling Xiaoyu because I like stances and her hits feel decisive and powerful to me. There are a TON of highly technical guides on the internet (like...move and frame data) but I haven't seen a ton of guides on basic strategy or when it might be a good idea to use those moves. Can anyone point me to some good resources?

My basic strategy for learning Ling is to work out some pokes and zoning skills, then figure out good ways to punish. I understand her phoenix stance puts you in a strong position because it avoids highs and mids and allows you to set up counters, and I also get that her oki game is strong. Conceptually that's as far as I've gotten.

Bonus question: is there a dumb-as-bones character I should work with just to get accustomed to the basics of Tekken? Is there a SF Ryu/Ken equivalent? Any super-popular characters I should focus on playing against as I begin to learn the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The simplest character to learn in Tekken is probably Paul. Pretty much all you need to know to play him effectively is the Deathfist/Demo Man mixup. Though you dont necessarily need to play a simple character just to learn Tekken, feel free to stick with Xiaoyu if you like her

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't really believe the MVC4 rumors but this sentence on that article sounds bad: "As of early 2019, Capcom was said to be in contact with Marvel talking about which characters can be used in Marvel vs. Capcom 4"

I loving hate the reliance on MCU poo poo, it probably was responsible for MVCInfinite being less fun and goofy. They replaced Take You For A Ride with the most boring "action" soundtrack of loving horns and "epic" music. Everything about that games aesthetics went counter to the MVC colorful, jazzy attitude. It was washed out as gently caress.
Making sure your stupid assholes from the movies are in while taking away the X-Men, Dr. Doom, and weirdos like Omega Red/Marrow/Blackheart was the worst decision Infinite made, besides the continued laziness of just saying "gently caress it put in the most outdated Nathan Spencer design again from the game nobody likes or remembers, also just loving put Chris in again, whatever"

I was watching the Tekken 7 character reveals again yesterday and it's so striking how much more those guys care about presentation and having fun with their product. That Fahkumram reveal was loving awesome. The Negan skit they made was funny. I really loved Tekken Tag 2 back in the day because all those endings were just pure ridiculous fanservice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even as a mcu ad it made no sense. Whose favorite guardian of the galaxy is gamora?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Presumably they wanted more than just Rocket Raccoon so they also had to pick some non-favorites.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I believe the Marvel team hates working with licensees and makes things difficult as a power play. Even when working with their own co-Disney subsidiary for Disney Infinity they were like "If you want to use the Avengers you also have to make an equal number of Yondu figurines"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After GotG vol 2, Gamora makes perfect sense on paper

She just doesn’t... act, or look, or even fight like her movie counterpart

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wasn’t the licensing for mvc3 basically “here’s a few characters that must be included, here’s a few that can’t be included. Otherwise go nuts”

This was even post-disney-purchase. What fuckin happened in those years between 3 and I?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
General Mills Cereal Mascots vs Capcom

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I believe the Marvel team hates working with licensees and makes things difficult as a power play. Even when working with their own co-Disney subsidiary for Disney Infinity they were like "If you want to use the Avengers you also have to make an equal number of Yondu figurines"

I have to assume this has changed since then because they had approached Insomniac with the proposal of "you can make a game about loving anything you want" and they chose a reimagined Spider-Man without any issue

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It did, though? Not to the same stakes but New Century is a fairly tight series with clear arcs.

I may be thinking of a different one, but it didn't have as much continuity as I expected.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It seems like the mobile game developers have been able to have good relationships with Marvel and pack in a shitload of characters and obscure references.

Thinking of Marvel Strike Force and Marvel Future Fight specifically.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Making a good mvc4 could definitely be possible, but it would really require them to actually invest in it and put real effort in rather than just contracting most of it out, that's honestly where I think it sounds less likely

I'd definitely love to be wrong though!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

I have to assume this has changed since then because they had approached Insomniac with the proposal of "you can make a game about loving anything you want" and they chose a reimagined Spider-Man without any issue

I thought that insomniac deal was in return for cooperation on spiderman movies

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I know Marvel Heroes had a ton of difficulties working with them. When the Fantastic Four movie came out they ran a little event where Fantastic Four characters got like +10% xp or something, and Brevik said they got in deep poo poo for that and eventually had to remove the characters entirely. Even stuff like getting new models/outfits approved apparently took a ton of back-and-forth and revisions.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Marvel vs Capcom 4

- HD sprites
- 3v3
- Skullgirls customizable assists
- MvC2 speed

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I rather them find a low-fi 3d approach that looks good so they can focus on other things because they are not going to be HD sprites and invest in other parts of the game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasn’t the licensing for mvc3 basically “here’s a few characters that must be included, here’s a few that can’t be included. Otherwise go nuts”

This was even post-disney-purchase. What fuckin happened in those years between 3 and I?

i remember them saying they had to fight hard to get shuma-gorath

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

If that’s the case, could it be less that Marvel has become worse about license and more that Capcom just didn’t give a single poo poo about Infinite and didn’t bother to even try asking for characters beyond “here’s the list of movie tie ins we would like in your game”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the Monster Hunter character was basically snuck in behind the MH devs' backs because they were really opposed to having a generic MH protagonist in a game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

punk rebel ecks posted:

Marvel vs Capcom 4

- HD sprites
- 3v3
- Skullgirls customizable assists
- MvC2 speed

We’d get 12 characters this way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Licensing can be really silly all around, I heard NRS was told no about a lot of really minor stuff related to Terminator, like having him do the thumbs-up at the end of that stage fatality they just added.

Gutcruncher posted:

There was more to it than that, I remember them being picky about mechanical stuff for character-related reasons, like they weren't allowed a universal airdash system because "characters xyz don't fly", that sort of thing.

Shuma being DLC was also a compromise in order to include him at all.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Monster Hunter character was basically snuck in behind the MH devs' backs because they were really opposed to having a generic MH protagonist in a game.

Ah, the 'Anger the part of your company that makes money' strategy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

We’d get 12 characters this way.

Unlike Lab Zero and SNK, Capcom has money to throw around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also that's fine, fighting games don't need huge casts as long as the cast that is there has a diverse set of playstyles

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Any new MvC would need to have a big roster irrespective of budget, that's sort of a prerequisite

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Any new MvC would need to have a big roster irrespective of budget, that's sort of a prerequisite

yeah, seeing the select screen for mvc2 was incredible the first time it popped up for me

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Does anybody else remember setting their Dreamcast copy of MvC2 to training mode overnight to unlock characters? Good times.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bring back on-disc DLC ala SFxT.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How many functions would MvC4 have?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CharlestonJew posted:

The simplest character to learn in Tekken is probably Paul. Pretty much all you need to know to play him effectively is the Deathfist/Demo Man mixup. Though you dont necessarily need to play a simple character just to learn Tekken, feel free to stick with Xiaoyu if you like her

I also recommend King as a starter. He has a lot of fun moves, the bnb combos aren't hard and like 90% of people who play online cannot deal with the 1->2->throw string if you just want to roll on people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Saint Freak posted:

I know Marvel Heroes had a ton of difficulties working with them. When the Fantastic Four movie came out they ran a little event where Fantastic Four characters got like +10% xp or something, and Brevik said they got in deep poo poo for that and eventually had to remove the characters entirely. Even stuff like getting new models/outfits approved apparently took a ton of back-and-forth and revisions.

God I miss Marvel Heroes, weird bungling from both Gaz and Marvel included.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MvC:I was obviously trying to tie in real hard to Avengers/Infinity War so I'm wondering if that had Marvel/Disney put more pressure on Capcom to do things a certain way. Maybe now that they're kind of in between movies Capcom will have more freedom to do what they will? This is entirely me just being overly hopeful but I can dream.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Would anyone really care if they just started with the UMvC3 models and animations and focused on adding more people in a new gameplay system?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arika's doing another rollback test

https://twitter.com/miharasan/status/1281600662418059264

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Dave posted:

Would anyone really care if they just started with the UMvC3 models and animations and focused on adding more people in a new gameplay system?

I would be happy with it. I still think MVC3 looks pretty good and it accomplished the style they set out to achieve. It wasn’t a super cheap mishmash clusterfuck at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I completely forgot to buy their game on the Steam sale. I'm sorry Arika, I have failed you...

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Gutcruncher posted:

I would be happy with it. I still think MVC3 looks pretty good and it accomplished the style they set out to achieve. It wasn’t a super cheap mishmash clusterfuck at all.

sf6 should use sf4's style

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gutcruncher posted:

The goals were very different. The goal of MvCI was to make a promotional vehicle for the MCU while the goal of MvC3 was to make a modern MvC2. The difference in goals is easily explained by the fact MvC3's development, and thus the licensing, started in 2008 when the MCU wasn't even really a concept yet and Capcom worked with marvel Comics, not with Disney.

Chev fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
mvci just grosses me out with how much re-used poo poo it has from a 6 year old game and generally the whole low-effort feel the whole thing has. I can't even start with it. At least SFV has some sort of fading spark of originality and a whiff of something trying to get the most out of a small budget.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 10, 2020