Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've had buffers do that just in normal operation. If you couple/recouple they'll occasionally reset to a correct distance. Waiting to hear on a buffer fix really, they are really stupid right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yep, kicking the Spintires people out killed the thread. RIP, niche sim games.

That said, I do have a question. This seems like the place to ask: anyone know of more cleaning games ala Viscera Cleanup Detail or House Flippers?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Train station reno sim is more of the same as House Flipper and you get to sort the garbage. Some of the scenario's are goofy(in a good way) like cleaning up a bunch of toxic waste barrels.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 10, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh damnit quote not edit

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep, kicking the Spintires people out killed the thread. RIP, niche sim games.

That said, I do have a question. This seems like the place to ask: anyone know of more cleaning games ala Viscera Cleanup Detail or House Flippers?

Not exactly cleaning, but Hardspace: Shipbreaker kind of scratched the same kinda itch that Viscera did, for me at least.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I feel dumb, I should've mentioned: I have those two. Shipbreaker and Train station. I also have Landlord's Super on the wishlist. Is there anything else? Or is that all there is in this small genre?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The thing about Hardspace Shipbreaker, that I think seperates it from the other job simulators out there is a feel that you are working in a very dangerous environment with very dangerous tools and you can safely manage any problem put in front of you by being safe and slow. And you can make your way through the game like that.

Then you realize that pinch points can be cut with your scissor beam. Soon after your will learn that fuel lines DON'T LIKE HEAT

But damnit those 3 million credit paydays feel so good, and doing a "whole buffalo" (breaking down an entire ship) feels satisfying. So now you're using your tether to pull yourself towards the home base for oxygen (because you let it get to critical because you had a part you wanted to get into the barge) and whoops braked too late, and whoops that's a hole in your helmet and you're asphixiating, now you need to make up for the resurection costs, and let's just forget tethers and just slam this part into the furnace with the push beam, oh crap why am I in a furnace...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wanted to get shipbreaker but people are saying that you quickly run out of ships to break apart and it becomes boring because you already know what's in each ship.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I wanted to get shipbreaker but people are saying that you quickly run out of ships to break apart and it becomes boring because you already know what's in each ship.

There's two ships with a couple of variants each. Some that remain the same outer hull get more complex(more systems, items, etc in them) as you go on, but yeah generally the same layout.

If you're playing in the career mode versus free play, it can be interesting(to me) to try to do things more efficiently/quickly. like i already wasted a bunch of time exploring how to cut it apart, now that i know where the good bits are, how fast can i chop to get at em?

but yeah, they said they intend to add more ships later. i've been through 8 hours on like 95% just the first ship (the other type became available at some portion into that, but i still kept choosing the same one because i wanted to improve my run.

and without spoiling it, sometimes the systems changing mean the whole thing reacts differently than you might expect, like some cuts i was sure were going to work, uhh, didn't.

e: they just added an "open shift" career mode that doesnt have the 15 minute shifts if that idea is a negative

for reference/you to judge me by, i have ~4 hours over all versions of viscera(that i own), 13 hours in house flipper, 100%ing the base game, 10 hours finishing thief sim, 45 hours over three versions of car mechanic sim, and probably near 100 in farming sim 17/19(i just do grass and logging, though)

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel dumb, I should've mentioned: I have those two. Shipbreaker and Train station. I also have Landlord's Super on the wishlist. Is there anything else? Or is that all there is in this small genre?
Cooking simulator? It's kind of mess-making simulator though.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 10, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Farmer's Dynasty has you renovate your farm and take missions to fix other people's homes sometimes.

Barn Finders sorta has a cleaning aspect in that you're picking up recyclable trash to sell and destroying other trash to find something valuable. It's worth a try imo

Car Mechanic Simulator, you probably know this one

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Last possible candidate, Gold Rush is shoveling dirt into a bin forever which I guess is like cleaning in the OCD it was there and now it's not way.

Farm Sim probably scratches similar itches in a definitely better way thinking about it though. You're painting/sweeping with tractors, and lumberjacking is cleaning up trees.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Stadium Renovator whenever it sees the light of day

https://store.steampowered.com/app/948880/Stadium_Renovator/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I kind of liked House Flipper so I get the appeal of these games, but the idea of a solo guy just happening up upon an old train station or stadium and cleaning it up single handedly and suddenly making money like he owns the place is hilarious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Train station, maybe. There's been some pretty famous train station renovations. But has there ever been such a thing as an abandoned stadium? I'm used to them being bulldozed instantly to be used for something else.

Landlords Super put out a preview of the next patch btw and I'm optimistically excited about it turning into an actual game.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Cojawfee posted:

I still find it satisfying having gone through all the cut points in one side of an industrial Gecko then peeling all the hull plates off in one go :feelsgood:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

for reference/you to judge me by, i have ~4 hours over all versions of viscera(that i own), 13 hours in house flipper, 100%ing the base game, 10 hours finishing thief sim, 45 hours over three versions of car mechanic sim, and probably near 100 in farming sim 17/19(i just do grass and logging, though)

Cooking simulator? It's kind of mess-making simulator though.

Good taste, good taste. I wish House Flipper had more random missions instead of selling houses, I wanna fix people's stuff.

Thief Sim: great fun but something I play when I want action/stealth stuff.

Car Mechanic: I didn't get into it, I don't care for taking something apart to put it back together? So I've also avoided Tank mechanic sim.

Farm Sim: I need to get into this franchise, I've heard so much about it.

Cooking Sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJZQM6yMI8

aka yeah it's a mess-making sim and not what I wanna do

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Farmer's Dynasty has you renovate your farm and take missions to fix other people's homes sometimes.

Barn Finders sorta has a cleaning aspect in that you're picking up recyclable trash to sell and destroying other trash to find something valuable. It's worth a try imo

Car Mechanic Simulator, you probably know this one

Farmer and Lumberjack Dynasty = on the wishlist, those sound cool

Barn Finders = I'm deeply interested but worried about the "humorous" writing

zedprime posted:

Last possible candidate, Gold Rush is shoveling dirt into a bin forever which I guess is like cleaning in the OCD it was there and now it's not way.

Farm Sim probably scratches similar itches in a definitely better way thinking about it though. You're painting/sweeping with tractors, and lumberjacking is cleaning up trees.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/451340/Gold_Rush_The_Game/ This Gold Rush? There are several on steam. If yes, that looks... hmm. Worth a try if I can get over my aversion to messing up natural wilderness.

And Stadium Renovator looks exactly like something I want, on the wishlist it goes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/451340/Gold_Rush_The_Game/ This Gold Rush? There are several on steam. If yes, that looks... hmm. Worth a try if I can get over my aversion to messing up natural wilderness.

And Stadium Renovator looks exactly like something I want, on the wishlist it goes.
That's the one. Play Farm Sim first based on your last post. Besides it being nature destroying strip mining it is maximum jank. Running power and electric cables around your heavy machinery and then making the dirt disappear as you feed it is strangely awesome but it definitely takes a certain saturation of trains, trucks, and farming to move on to excavator-focused Gold Rush.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’d second the recommendation for farming sim. I’ve managed to rack up close to 1500 hours between 17 and 19. It doesn’t really seem to get old cause you can always start a new map and the seasons mod helps to add a flow to the game that cant really be replicated in the base game. It does annoy me that the sandy bay map had such a major update that it involved starting a new game even though I was right at the point of having my farm rolling along nicely

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've played all the (2) games in this sub-sub-sub genre, but are there other sim-like games with a strong 'physical' world ala My Summer Car and Derail Valley that don't suck?

It's hard to describe, but its one of the only games where while the physics is janky and weird, its very touchy feely and objects have a strong physical presence. The only games where you can get a "now where the gently caress did I put that" feeling. Obviously this plays extremely well with My Summer Car since it perfectly complements putting a car together, but it helps in Derail Valley in a silly way with "oops I slapped my book into the train brake."

I guess Viscera Cleanup applies here too, but it does do an FPS when you're holding a mop or whatever.

Really hoping Deadstick (a flight sim) follows this sort of game feel.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Oops double post, but while thinking of those games I thought of another that I don't remember being mentioned here:

Open Sewer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Open_Sewer/

You're basically a plague quarantine slumlord - okay, not the best sell. It's extremely dark and dreary in its own way, but also has its own sort of weird charm when you make a nice tenement of weird mushroom addicts and drunks. It looks like a super old game but it feels like an intentional choice and not a laziness (imo). It's hard to put into words, but I like it a lot.

I would recommend it be a "wishlist" for the moment - The devs seem solid, but very small and methodical. They decided over a year ago that they didn't like the first implementation of the map and it caused a bunch of performance issues, so it seems they basically started from scratch. They're definitely consistent in showing progress on their Discord - but I couldn't recommend a "buy" unless the style absolutely grabs you and you have to try it out. Wait for the big map match Coming: Sometime.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Oops double post, but while thinking of those games I thought of another that I don't remember being mentioned here:

Open Sewer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Open_Sewer/

You're basically a plague quarantine slumlord - okay, not the best sell. It's extremely dark and dreary in its own way, but also has its own sort of weird charm when you make a nice tenement of weird mushroom addicts and drunks. It looks like a super old game but it feels like an intentional choice and not a laziness (imo). It's hard to put into words, but I like it a lot.

I would recommend it be a "wishlist" for the moment - The devs seem solid, but very small and methodical. They decided over a year ago that they didn't like the first implementation of the map and it caused a bunch of performance issues, so it seems they basically started from scratch. They're definitely consistent in showing progress on their Discord - but I couldn't recommend a "buy" unless the style absolutely grabs you and you have to try it out. Wait for the big map match Coming: Sometime.

Brewing poo poo mushroom booze has me intrigued. Maybe I'll finally play Infra first though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 11, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I tried Open Sewer because I loving love INFRA, but it wasn't a very good experience. Performance was atrocious for the simplistic graphics it has, movement was very awkward and floaty, UI also not the greatest. Shame because I'm very into its vibe, and again INFRA owns, but I just couldn't get into it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You aren’t wrong and I was willing to look past that - here’s hoping their big patch addresses all that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I'm pretty sure I've played all the (2) games in this sub-sub-sub genre, but are there other sim-like games with a strong 'physical' world ala My Summer Car and Derail Valley that don't suck?

It's hard to describe, but its one of the only games where while the physics is janky and weird, its very touchy feely and objects have a strong physical presence. The only games where you can get a "now where the gently caress did I put that" feeling. Obviously this plays extremely well with My Summer Car since it perfectly complements putting a car together, but it helps in Derail Valley in a silly way with "oops I slapped my book into the train brake."

I guess Viscera Cleanup applies here too, but it does do an FPS when you're holding a mop or whatever.

Really hoping Deadstick (a flight sim) follows this sort of game feel.

Hydroneer might be worth checking out, it definitely has that first person “I dropped my bucket full of gems in the wrong spot and it catapulted them across the map” jank to it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hydroneer is an extremely $10 game and make My Summer Car and Derail Valley look they have all the user friendliness as a narrow triple-A game. It's not bad, just be ready for what it's offering.

If it looks interesting I'd recommend sitting tight for a week and checking out the response to the content patch dropping this week. Besides any content concerns, if it's anything like release there will be about a week of frustration because the main release starts working like a nightly candidate as they patch one thing and introduce 5 new bugs for the moment.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I finally played through INFRA and the Turnip Hill section is actually weirdly compelling? Gonna check out Open Sewer whenever the megapatch finally hits Soon™.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really hope it is soon. It’s one of the few things I’m willing to suspend any ill words for the devs because it seemed like the right move and they’ve posted progress and have a clear vision for the game, but it’s a shame it’s been a year.

FWIW lunless you’re waiting for a sale, Open Sewer in its current version is at least worth a few hours of playing with, if you expect you’ll buy it anyway.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Derail Valley got another nice visual update: https://youtu.be/oL3HYoVZUkA

Also includes a temp fix for the DE-6 derailing the car behind it for no good reason.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368810/Factory_Runner/

No idea if it's any good and it's not EA so there may not be much or any development to come.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

quote:

Survival aspects are also added to the game where you need to manage your economy , hunger and other needs .
(that space preserved from original)

This sounds terrible and yet I am weirdly intrigued.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

power crystals posted:

(that space preserved from original)

This sounds terrible and yet I am weirdly intrigued.

New thread title, mods?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There's a new DLC and huge update for the original Spintires. The game now supports vehicles that turn like a tank and turn by twisting. They re-made how the mud works and a lot of other stuff, for example you can now change the tire pressure in some vehicles, pretty cool stuff.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1346090/Spintires__SHERP_Ural_Challenge_DLC/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Finally got my farm hat on and I have no idea what I'm doing but plowing is soothing. I should've bought a bigger one but OH WELL

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finally got my farm hat on and I have no idea what I'm doing but plowing is soothing. I should've bought a bigger one but OH WELL

I wouldn't sweat it too much; you don't have to plow every time, and only have to plow at all if periodic plowing is on. Otherwise you can just till. Later on you can afford to get snap-together combo-tools that are like a subsoiler with a planter on it so you can just make one pass and be good on everything but fert/lime/weeds. The plow's still useful to have around cuz you do need one to expand/define fields.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think I have a problem. I bought PC Building Simulator last night, and next thing I knew I was sitting on a pile of liquid-cooled RGB hellbeasts at 1 AM. :shepface:

I hope it continues to receive updates, I really want to gently caress around with Zen3 chips and Big Navi/Ampere GPUs.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Another update to Derail Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vPcZfa13o

Features:
Extended tutorial;
Dynamic fees (so you can have more fees outstanding and still take on a new job depending on your bankroll);
Caboose that has a loco remote signal booster and fast-charger, an end-of-train map marker, instant jumping between caboose and locos in the same train, a mobile career manager terminal (so you can service on the go), a stronger independent brake, and a bunch of item storage.

Like the other hidden garage, you apparently have to buy the key for it and then find it somewhere. Also, you can summon it via the radio but it costs 10,000 to summon, so it seems like mostly an endgame luxury item.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
:wow:

My kids will be glad for the caboose.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

derail valley question: where the gently caress is the loading machine for section D ( the pier) in the harbor?

e: oh... its right there

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

derail valley question: where the gently caress is the loading machine for section D ( the pier) in the harbor?

e: oh... its right there

Me in derail valley, but replace “loading machine for section d” with literally anything in the game at all and also I’m drunk and listening to a podcast.

I’ve never had so much fun getting consistently lost.