Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Slickdrac posted:

On the subject of old classics, have a Mass Effect 1 Mako

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiantDeliciousCurlewWoofer

Solid strat, less likely to be hit if you move outside our current understanding of physics and momentum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You know, I think I've seen almost that exact same thing in Skyrim a few times. It's what used to happen when you used a particular enemy-freezing shout that turned them into solid physics object that tumbled down slopes and such.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
A few years ago my sister and I played Assassin’s Creed 4 together, and it mostly held itself together; no Ascension of the Jackdaw for us. With one exception. I remember we were watching a heartfelt romantic cutscene between the main character and some love interest when his face physics or whatever broke and dragged the corners of his mouth all the way back. The best part was that the rest of his face was unaffected, so half his expression came across as “I am connecting with this female character on an emotional level” and the other half read “I am a chimpanzee baring my teeth to threaten potential rivals”. He kept talking as normal, of course, and the corners of his mouth fluttered constantly to the rhythm of the conversation, just enough to tell you the game hadn’t completely lost control without fixing the issue. Each laugh was a snarl. Each soft smile was a hideous sneer. Finally, mere seconds from the end of the scene, his mouth snapped back to normal with a nearly audible “whap” as he gazed tenderly at his better half, the screen fading to black.

We still laugh about it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This is what we've all been waiting for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8gGxKEKzM

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousTrappedDonkeyPrimeMe

Matt Dickie makes good games that are in no way broken.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Slickdrac posted:

On the subject of old classics, have a Mass Effect 1 Mako

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiantDeliciousCurlewWoofer

I like how the game is "okay gently caress it i cant calculate this mess, mission over go restart or something"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I started to become a bit overpowered in Outer Worlds that my shots were generating some weird physics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190VJURbvYU

After being reduced to 1 working tire on an icy road my friend exhausted his time to finish because he was spinning out and the game decided it wasn't done showing just how bad he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBwuDLAaVk

Normally the game will just remove the cars altogether and show you some scenic shot but not this time!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I've been stuck in a Youtube hole for the past week or so that's led me to a very weird example for this thread: Card game glitches. Yu-Gi-Oh, specifically. The way that some older cards were written led to dumb and insane bullshit, because the card was written bad.

This guy's got a series of videos on weird old card effects, but the actual 'glitches' come up in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxRzlgcD7Y

And for people who don't want to watch the video, the cards he talks about that basically glitch out a card game:

-Darkness Approaches has you flip one face-up monster face-down, but doesn't change its attack position. This accidentally invented the concept of a face-down attack position, which doesn't exist in the game otherwise and the game can't handle.

-Weather Report gives all your monsters two attacks on your turn, by making the battle phase happen twice. Despite being practically no different from just directly having monsters attack twice, the fact this card was printed once in the 00s means that every single card effect ever since that handles the battle phase has to accommodate the idea of that phase happening twice.

-You can't legally use every Harpy Lady monster in the same deck, despite them being intended to be used together, because their effect says that you treat all of their names as 'Harpy Lady' so that they all benefit from the same support cards. Because you can only have three of the same card in your deck, you actually can't use all of them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lookin' good Pete.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
If you can think of a better way to hide your identity I'd like to hear it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cleretic posted:

So I've been stuck in a Youtube hole for the past week or so that's led me to a very weird example for this thread: Card game glitches. Yu-Gi-Oh, specifically. The way that some older cards were written led to dumb and insane bullshit, because the card was written bad.

Let me tell you about the Mewtwo Deck.

Mewtwo, original on the left, is the only card that ever got patched. Exact same card art and attacks, but different stats and slightly different wording. It's weird, because it looked like it was pretty well balanced. If anything, the new version is overpowered with more than twice the HP and an attack that deals twice the damage.

The important change is to Barrier. Barrier lets you negate all attacks in exchange for sacrificing an energy card. With the original card you could do it every single turn. Doesn't look too bad on paper, since you won't be able to attack while using barrier, and you have to run out of energy cards eventually.

The problem is in the official Pokemon Trading Card Game® rulebook. When you start a game, each player draws seven cards. If you don't have a usable pokemon in your hand, you reshuffle your deck and draw a new hand while your opponent draws two additional cards. This is supposed to be a penalty, to encourage players to have a balanced amount of pokemon cards, but it didn't say your opponent may draw two cards, just that they do it.

Why would you ever not want to draw extra cards? There's no hand limit or penalty for having too many cards, and a well-stocked hand gives you more options. The problem is that the rules of the game also state that the game is lost when one player runs out of usable pokemon, has six pokemon faint, or runs out of cards in their deck. That last one doesn't come into play too often, a regulation deck must have exactly 60 cards, so nobody has an advantage. The only way a game would come down to the last card is if somebody has a pokemon that negates all attacks and never runs out of energy cards to use it.

Enter the Mewtwo Deck.

The round starts when you draw a handful of energy cards, show them to your opponent, and reshuffle your deck. If you opponent is has seen a mewtwo deck before, now is when they scream gently caress you, lunge across the table and get you both kicked out of the tournament. If they're not, they draw their two free cards and you draw another handful of energy cards. This continues until you finally draw mewtwo. At this point your opponent has, on average, half their deck in their hand. Now you play your mewtwo. You can only attach one energy card per turn, so you have to hold out for one turn of attacks. If your opponent has the right cards they might get in a paralysis or a poison attack in, so some mewtwo deck players also include a few potions. Those players are cowards.

If you make it to turn two, you have won the game. You just keep attaching and burning energy cards until your opponent runs out of cards or, more likely, realizes exactly what you're doing and [see above].

I'm pretty sure they changed the rules later to say you can chose whether to draw the extra cards or not, but I stopped playing long before that. Wasn't much point to it for me anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sounds like it's pretty much exactly as well-designed and balanced as Pokemon the video game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If we’re talking about glitches in card games, there was the time for a couple of days in Hearthstone where you could screw yourself out of your deck’s entire gimmick if you got the wrong opening hand.

To give some backstory: A couple of years ago, Hearthstone released the Witchwood expansion. Within it were two of the most controversial cards they’ve ever made: Baku the Mooneater and Genn Greymane. Their effects were to modify your hero power at the start of the match if your deck only contained odd or even-costed cards, respectively. Long story short, their effects were so powerful that Blizzard made the unprecedented decision to retire them from the Standard format a year early.

A few months ago, with the most recent expansion, the Demon Hunter class was released. To say they were grossly imbalanced is putting it mildly; as of the time of writing, almost every single one of their most regularly-played cards have been (or are slated to be) nerfed.

Now, every class also gets a gimmick or keyword effect that’s unique to them. For DHs, theirs was “Outcast”, which would cause the card in question to get a bonus effect when it’s currently in the left or rightmost position in your hand. One of those cards was Eye Beam, a 3-mana card that got discounted to 0 when it was Outcast. So, some people started taking Demon Hunter into Hearthstone’s Wild format, where every card ever made is legal to play, and started whipping up Odd DH decks...

And that’s when the glitch happened; as people found out, Baku and Genn only scan your deck and hand after your initial mulligan, before the game has “actually” begun. So, if you wound up with Eye Beam being left or rightmost after your mulligan, it would get discounted to 0 first (which made it even-cost by the game’s logic), Baku would see that you didn’t have a deck that only consists of odd-cost cards, and her “start of game” effect wouldn’t go off. Since Eye Beam was also one of the most imbalanced cards in both formats, Blizzard then indirectly closed the glitch by nerfing Eye Beam’s discount to 1 as part of a series of emergency nerfs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

0-cost cards were always a terrible idea in Hearthstone. Pretty much every dumb OTK deck has relied on some way of discounting cards to 0. Making the minimum discounted cost of a card 1 would solve so many issues in the game.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hearthstone was fun until they could no longer balance the game with all the new expansions and had to make "standard" mode whereby your old paid for cards are no longer usable. Thanks for nothing HS.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Which is why they just announced nerfs doing exactly that for some of the most powerful cards in Standard at the moment: Dragonqueen Alexstrasza and Rogue’s version of Galakrond.

Plus they nerfed the Echo mechanic (you can play multiple copies of that card in one turn) to always cost at least 1 to get rid of an imbalanced combo in Wild.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I stopped playing when Ragnaros and Reno Jackson rotated out.
Had a mage deck built entirely around playing Ragnaros, making copies of him, and ending up with 4+ of them while invincible and back at full HP.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not a glitch, but I got a kick out of it.

https://i.imgur.com/xCWw0QJ.gifv

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Not a glitch, but I got a kick out of it.

https://i.imgur.com/xCWw0QJ.gifv

What is this from? Interested in the possibilities of Redneck Santa Simulator

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just Cause (probably 4)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Of course, how did I not recognize it :doh:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

f b.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
On the subject of card game glitches: the initial printing of WotC's second card game, Jyhad (later renamed Vampire: the Eternal Struggle) had a card called Monocle of Clarity.

Looks simple, right? Without using an action, you can get one piece on information per turn, usually "Do you have any intercept boosters in hand" or something. However, the card has an odd clause; if you ask a question about the future, the target must abide by it. People would generally ask "Will you block my next action?", then send in a beefy Brujah fighter if they said yes, or a bleedy Tremere if they said no.

But then people broke the card by asking "Will you answer yes to the next question I ask?", and then asking "Will you (not) concede the game now?" next turn. This led to a reversal of the card in future versions, making questions about the future not binding.

One other delightful glitch; the first version did not specify that the question has to be about the game; so, if you wanted to be an rear end in a top hat, you could ask the girl across the table whether or not she shaved her hoo-haa, and strictly speaking she would have to tell you (right before you get beat up by the rest of the playgroup).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's one in magic that is similar, but they just patched it by specifically adding an addendum that forfeiting the game doesn't count.

Which means you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo by asking about boolean logical constructs

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
https://twitter.com/cthulhu_chan_/status/1281652803560062976

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I though the glitch was her sliding, got caught off guard there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The peak Magic the Gathering glitch is the Time Twister with Demonic Attorney. In the early days Magic was played for Ante, basically you wager a card from your deck on the result of the game. Demonic Attorney gives your opponent a choice to either forfeit the game or ante another card, but you would have to ante another card as well. Well thats easy to work around, most of your deck are Black Lotus and Ansestral Recall so you can draw your entire deck before playing the Attorney. So you draw your deck and make your opponent ante another card, then you Time Twister which essentially restarts the game, except for cards that have been ante'd. Then you do it again, repeat till your opponent only has 6 cards in their deck and then the Time Twister makes them lose for not being able to draw a hand.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Outstanding. Thank you so much for this. I haven't laughed that hard since the Before Times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, the Mad Max driving AI

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

had my doubts about this game but goddamn, no I gotta get it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Your parents always told not to stand around on the street. This is why.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Laughed out loud from both ends.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
https://i.imgur.com/JkilC95.mp4

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
drat, that radscorpion could flashstep

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Nothing personal, kid

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Petit Gregory posted:

Nothing personal, kid

LOL. This Radscorp is inhuman! NANI?!?!?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuccessfulAnimatedOilNomNom

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

RandomFerret posted:

Let me tell you about the Mewtwo Deck.

Mewtwo, original on the left, is the only card that ever got patched. Exact same card art and attacks, but different stats and slightly different wording. It's weird, because it looked like it was pretty well balanced. If anything, the new version is overpowered with more than twice the HP and an attack that deals twice the damage.

The important change is to Barrier. Barrier lets you negate all attacks in exchange for sacrificing an energy card. With the original card you could do it every single turn. Doesn't look too bad on paper, since you won't be able to attack while using barrier, and you have to run out of energy cards eventually.

The problem is in the official Pokemon Trading Card Game® rulebook. When you start a game, each player draws seven cards. If you don't have a usable pokemon in your hand, you reshuffle your deck and draw a new hand while your opponent draws two additional cards. This is supposed to be a penalty, to encourage players to have a balanced amount of pokemon cards, but it didn't say your opponent may draw two cards, just that they do it.

Why would you ever not want to draw extra cards? There's no hand limit or penalty for having too many cards, and a well-stocked hand gives you more options. The problem is that the rules of the game also state that the game is lost when one player runs out of usable pokemon, has six pokemon faint, or runs out of cards in their deck. That last one doesn't come into play too often, a regulation deck must have exactly 60 cards, so nobody has an advantage. The only way a game would come down to the last card is if somebody has a pokemon that negates all attacks and never runs out of energy cards to use it.

Enter the Mewtwo Deck.

The round starts when you draw a handful of energy cards, show them to your opponent, and reshuffle your deck. If you opponent is has seen a mewtwo deck before, now is when they scream gently caress you, lunge across the table and get you both kicked out of the tournament. If they're not, they draw their two free cards and you draw another handful of energy cards. This continues until you finally draw mewtwo. At this point your opponent has, on average, half their deck in their hand. Now you play your mewtwo. You can only attach one energy card per turn, so you have to hold out for one turn of attacks. If your opponent has the right cards they might get in a paralysis or a poison attack in, so some mewtwo deck players also include a few potions. Those players are cowards.

If you make it to turn two, you have won the game. You just keep attaching and burning energy cards until your opponent runs out of cards or, more likely, realizes exactly what you're doing and [see above].

I'm pretty sure they changed the rules later to say you can chose whether to draw the extra cards or not, but I stopped playing long before that. Wasn't much point to it for me anymore.

Thankfully, as long as you survived the (non-optional) card drawing, many decks in the day ran up to 4 Energy Removal and/or 4 Super Energy Removal, to deny the Mewtwo player that other Energy and open up another round of vulnerability. With the probability of not having a mulligan with only one Basic Pokemon at about 11.67%, that left you with about a 28% chance of the opponent not having a Basic Pokemon after 10 mulligans, and 8.4% after 20 mulligans, where you might have a chance to power up an attacker in the turns that remain after drawing 40 cards, plus the seven at start, one at turn start and six Prize cards (with 6 cards left in deck). This still means about a 5.1% chance of probably losing to this strategy from deckout after 24 mulligans (or a 5.7% chance of losing on the second turn after 23 mulligans).

Lorak has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mike_ducker/status/1284511736209571840

Not a game glitch, per se, but it's in the right space.