Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mat Cauthon posted:

Probably something to do with Kid Homelander and turning him or using him to get Homelander to stand down.
I'd kind of like to see Butcher going full psycho and blowing Homeboy and his ex sky high just to see the insane shitstorm that would cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
In Invincible, the main character flies through space just by holding his breath.

Story wise I hope the way to take down Homelander is by using his own hubris, but I really enjoy the idea that it's possible to be head and shoulders the best and still overrated.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One thing that’s notable in the comic is that superhero fights aren’t treated as cinematic. Even when it’s between two powerful individuals the winner is usually the one who gets a sucker punch off first and takes the others head off. There’s no back and forth until one prevails like a marvel movie, fights are either won by dirty tricks or overwhelming power.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

Or maybe the Homelander we know is the beta-lame-o version with an obvious Death Star kill switch and You-Know-Who is the real one

The teaser thing they did with him and the terrorist supe seems to point to that but I feel like it's a fake out. More than likely they've come up with some twist/variation to set the series apart from the comic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

The teaser thing they did with him and the terrorist supe seems to point to that but I feel like it's a fake out. More than likely they've come up with some twist/variation to set the series apart from the comic.

Yeah, it is worth pointing out that superheroes in series seem to have a set of generic strengths on top of their particular power.

Annie takes a couple of shots from a gently caress off rifle and is stunned but unharmed. A-train pulverized a human being but didn't have a scratch on him.

Black noir walking away with some injuries from a point blank explosion doesn't necessarily put him as that much more durable than what we've already seen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

He did seem pretty wary of Starlight (or at least considered her a threat enough to not take chances) but there's no guarantee that he isn't invulnerable enough to take a hit from her and keep going or just crater her before she can act.

There are a couple of points where everyone seems a bit wary of Annie.

I mean, they don't have actual enemies on their level, so it would make sense they'd all be a bit afraid of one another.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Straight White Shark posted:

I feel like this is an artifact of network TV schedules more than anything. If The Boys ran for 13 episodes, yeah, they'd need to mix it up and throw in a couple breaks from the season arc. But streaming shows aren't beholden to arbitrary season lengths and don't need to pad out their run to meet an order. That's the other side of the streaming/serialization debate; streaming schedules allows shows to tell much tighter stories than were ever practical in the network TV era. Shows that try to do the heavily serialized format and drag it out really suck, yeah, but the best solution is generally to just cut out the cruft entirely, not to replace it with filler.

There's a structure in a self contained story that can add a lot of depth to a character or two. It's why short stories exist. Wisely adding those in just adds to a show. Exploring relationships or details in a world in a one off can add depth that following a purely serialized format has to stretch to get to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sometimes there is a fun/cool idea to play with, but it doesn't necessarily need to be linked to a season wide arc. Also, the show can go back to a filler episode, and make it part of the main plot if there is a good opportunity, and then the show can look more planned out than it was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PostNouveau posted:

There are a couple of points where everyone seems a bit wary of Annie.
I bet this is largely because Laserbaby and Homelander have shown that energy-based powers are ridiculously effective and her being able to control light/EM has a big ol' ??? Attached to its upper limit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What if laser baby inexplicably ends up In Homelander's butt? Would that kill him?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

FilthyImp posted:

I bet this is largely because Laserbaby and Homelander have shown that energy-based powers are ridiculously effective and her being able to control light/EM has a big ol' ??? Attached to its upper limit.

It's probably also partly that she can at least blind people, and there's no way they want to risk being blinded in their current situation. They've got pretty sweet lives, why give all that up, even if you're not entirely sure she can do it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Black Noir is pretty tough, but don't forget he also got slashed up by The Female last season.

Even in the show, the fights that are supe vs supe are mainly just sucker punches. A-Train beat TF by repeatedly smashing her head into the wall at super speed. She beat him by leaping out of a vent or something and crowbaring him in the femur.

They haven't really had a dramatic movie style fight with anyone yet. Looks like it might be at least one this season though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I would really enjoy a twist along the lines of them hiring starlight for her sneaky clean image and non-threatening showy powers only for her to absorb a power station and burn a hole straight through a BN/Homelander/godlevel's chest.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm fine with superfights essentially being first-punch contests. The whole Superman and Doomsday tossing each other through buildings for 10 minutes poo poo gets stupid.

It's easier to believe that two guys could lift tanks than to believe that two guys could take a punch from someone who could lift tanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Superman holds his breath in space.

He can hold his breath for a really long rear end time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MarcusSA posted:

Superman holds his breath in space.

He can hold his breath for a really long rear end time.
Alternately:
Superman's Kryptonian cells absorb solar radiation in the vacuum of space at a more efficient rate and due to his solar-powered metabolism :words:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Black Noir is pretty tough, but don't forget he also got slashed up by The Female last season.

Even in the show, the fights that are supe vs supe are mainly just sucker punches. A-Train beat TF by repeatedly smashing her head into the wall at super speed. She beat him by leaping out of a vent or something and crowbaring him in the femur.

They haven't really had a dramatic movie style fight with anyone yet. Looks like it might be at least one this season though.

In the comics at least, most Supes punch way above their endurance - as in, a Supe would probably be unable to survive a good punch from themselves.

It looks like we'll get at least a Stormfront fight in the series, and that is one of the few prolonged fights I can remember from the comics as well at least until Vas shows up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Alternately:
Superman's Kryptonian cells absorb solar radiation in the vacuum of space at a more efficient rate and due to his solar-powered metabolism :words:

Turns out 19th century science is right and Superman breathes the luminiferous aether.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can superman get cancer or STDs?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Khanstant posted:

Can superman get cancer or STDs?

He is rendered vulnerable by pink Claptonite.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Superman gets wrecked by "magic", which makes sense I suppose since it's magic.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PostNouveau posted:

Superman gets wrecked by "magic", which makes sense I suppose since it's magic.

It's not like Kryptonite to him, it's just that he's the same as anyone else when it comes to magic. A spell that makes someone stands still ignores how strong you are, and a sword that can cut through anything cuts through him just as well as any other dude on the street. He can still dodge a magic sword or punch you faster than you can cast a spell though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The comics go back and forth on that, to the point where I think the 80s Reboot was like "Due to his Kryptonian heritage, Superman's HYPER RATIONAL mind is not attuned to magic and..."

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I still like that one of the times Shazam k.o. supes in one punch was because
1) Shazam is almost as strong
2) superman is vulnerable to magic
3) Shazam just sucker-punched him

And he feels really bad about it!

Man, Shazam is fun.give Jason Aaron a run with him.

It seems they are setting up black noir to have the kinda same powers as the female.like he's the buffed wolverine of the 7.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The discussion about how to kill Homelander made me feel kinda bad for him. He is undoubtedly a massive psychopath now, but he was bred to be one. The flashback he had of himself as a small child in that sterile room with the scientists handing him a blanket or whatever just about sums him up, and he has every right to lash out at those people. The problem is that those people put the whole world between Homelander and them. He is basically a beauty pageant kid as much as Starlight is, and that is what makes it satisfying to see him take control and turn what the people who controlled him back on them. It's a story about liberation, but unfortunately also about laser eyes and a total disregard for the sanctity of life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

The comics go back and forth on that, to the point where I think the 80s Reboot was like "Due to his Kryptonian heritage, Superman's HYPER RATIONAL mind is not attuned to magic and..."

I don't recall this. The Byrne reboot is what established that he isn't invulnerable to magic, nor is he more vulnerable to it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Homelander panics when he finds out he has a deadly peanut allergy

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

Homelander panics when he finds out he has a deadly peanut allergy

A bomb peanut up the bum.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

*adjusting spectacles* If you mean the Morrison JLA run, that was two punches.. the first one kind of stunned him (...billy?) the second one clobbered him. Thor > Superman

I'm fuckin bored, I was really hoping this would drop in July

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 11, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I wonder if homelander is going to juice up on V this season. He's already barely in control of himself but imagine if he was high and overcharged at the same time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

*adjusting spectacles* If you mean the Morrison JLA run, that was two punches.. the first one kind of stunned him (...billy?) the second one clobbered him. Thor > Superman

I'm fuckin bored, I was really hoping this would drop in July

I loved that story. As mentioned, Shazam feels loving horrible for doing it, and is quick to point out that it only worked because it was a sucker punch and Superman would NEVER expect him to pull something like that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

As Nero Danced posted:

I wonder if homelander is going to juice up on V this season. He's already barely in control of himself but imagine if he was high and overcharged at the same time.

Is Compound V “more equals better” or does an injection unlock your X-gene?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Compound V “more equals better” or does an injection unlock your X-gene?
You need sustained exposure to it as a fetus or something to get super.

An adult supe on it just gets a rush and, if we remember popclaw, it's likely not a good idea to do a bunch at once...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A-Train treated it kinda like super cocaine. He took it to get faster, so apparently it not only gets you high, it boosts your powers a bit as well. Downside is, apparently it's easy to overdose.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

A bomb peanut up the bum.

WHEN THE gently caress DID I EAT PEANUTS AND CORN LAST??!?!?!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Man, Shazam is fun.give Jason Aaron a run with him.

It seems they are setting up black noir to have the kinda same powers as the female.like he's the buffed wolverine of the 7.

The Shazam movie was pretty drat good FWIW. I wasn’t expecting to like it at all but it was quite fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MarcusSA posted:

The Shazam movie was pretty drat good FWIW. I wasn’t expecting to like it at all but it was quite fun.

Shazam is known as the Big Red Cheese, and they made the very wise decision to lean hard into that for the movie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't see this posted earlier - Season 1 bloopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2HzjuBLfA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Didn't see this posted earlier - Season 1 bloopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2HzjuBLfA

I had no idea about Anthony Starr's real accent till the end of that video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Karl seems like a lot of fun to work with lol