Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked that comic run, Gotham Central, but that was a loooong time ago in terms of police in the USA. Should make No Man's Land instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

The funny thing is, the book Ready Player One actually does end with the game creator telling the protagonist, "Hey, maybe this was a bad idea and you should just delete the Oasis because it hosed up society." I also remember the book ending with the protagonist telling the girl "I love you" and her responding something like "Oh... uh...." Those stuck out for me as being fairly self-aware for a book that was completely absent of that until that point.

Also skimming the Wikipedia article now, and apparently Cline based the African-American lesbian character on Harry Knowles!? Uh, what the gently caress?

No, she's totally into it, she's just nervous about her curvy body and wine stain birthmark not being good enough for him.

She's fully in favor of using the billion dollars to try and rebuild society, and he just wants to use it to party harder in the virtual world.

The compromise they come up with is that the Oasis (which has created an emergent economy with millions of people having real financial dependence on their roles in it) will now be closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

I don't see how it could get any worse than the first book.

A statement I make specifically so that I can look back and chuckle at my past naïveté.
The year is 5 years after the first book. Things are awesome.

A mysterious signal (only available in Apex) from the creator of Oasis reveals that the entire world was created to safeguard against the ReddiChan invasion.

The book ends with "hmm. Maybe all opinions aren't equal" as the main deletes the internet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's really no way Armada could be significantly worse than Ready Player One. No, really. I mean you could show me any number of pages from it, but a certain point it's just meaningless degrees of "loving terrible".
I'd attribute it more to the most bottom barrel laziness, even though it's all about the laziest worst writer of the last century: "why make 'a movie based on a book from the writer of ready player one' when we could just...make the sequel to ready player one?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I honestly wonder if Cline is going to try to cater more toward the turbonerds, or toward the general public/media who for some insane reason loved the book. I can see him toning down the encyclopedic nerd stuff because he knows that the audience for the book isn't just neckbeards.

One thing I absolutely cannot see him doing, though, is listening to any of the incredibly valid criticisms.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just any excuse to post Ready Player One's theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Oh, Quibi...

Starring Anna Kendrick!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’m seeing an insane number of quibi ads on Facebook

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I got one on youtube for some sort of 90s smalltown murder mystery thing with uhh queen latifah
It almost felt like a real show!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We should all have quibi shows

Beats waiting for another stimulus package

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't it something like 90% of subscribers quit at the end of the trial?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

lol, it has $1.75 billion invested in it. No way are they even making a fraction of their money back.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

I honestly wonder if Cline is going to try to cater more toward the turbonerds, or toward the general public/media who for some insane reason loved the book. I can see him toning down the encyclopedic nerd stuff because he knows that the audience for the book isn't just neckbeards.

I haven't read anything by Cline so I'm asking from a place of ignorance, but wouldn't toning down that stuff require some sort of talent to, you know, actually write? Something that, as far as I gathered, Cline is loving godawful at.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I know there's no real hope for this to come true, but I want Ready Player Two to be about how Wade has to deal with the many responsibilities that come with his newfound power, and being completely ill-equipped to handle anything that comes his way because all he knows how to do is defeat the straw hat guys from Big Trouble in Little China or quote St. Elmo's Fire or some poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ready Player Two is going to open with Cline fridging the first girlfriend to give the main a revenge plot and then introducing a new hotter girlfriend who the main has to teach/mansplain all his insane 80s pop culture knowledge to. You all know this going to happen.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, it has $1.75 billion invested in it. No way are they even making a fraction of their money back.

*Katzenberg taps at an enormous Texas Instruments calculator* okay let's raise the subscription fee to $25,000

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ready Player Two is going to open with Cline fridging the first girlfriend to give the main a revenge plot and then introducing a new hotter girlfriend who the main has to teach/mansplain all his insane 80s pop culture knowledge to. You all know this going to happen.

i sipped her gamer girl bath water but she was nought but a fake e girl thot who did not send nudes

now she is queen of a Simpire with a reply guy army

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m seeing an insane number of quibi ads on Facebook

It's like when a star goes supernova. The company is producing an increased number of ads like so many torrents of cosmic dust and radiation, but soon enough it will become a husk of its former self, until all that's left is a white dwarf (katzenburg)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1280161504180961280?s=20

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't read anything by Cline so I'm asking from a place of ignorance, but wouldn't toning down that stuff require some sort of talent to, you know, actually write? Something that, as far as I gathered, Cline is loving godawful at.

I think I realized Hollywood hit a nadir when Cline and Cargill, loving AICN talkbackers, were getting screenplays picked up.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Will this also lead to the world’s worst love confession scene ever like in the first one, where it becomes clear really quickly that Cline has never met a woman with even reasonable self-esteem?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

an Oedipal journey in which a gamer rises up to defeat an MLG pro strat no scoper who claims to have hosed his mom

gamer removes her Metroid (get it?) helmet to reveal that she is in fact his mom

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cameo posted:

I think I realized Hollywood hit a nadir when Cline and Cargill, loving AICN talkbackers, were getting screenplays picked up.

loving Cargill’s interview at double toasted about working at marvel “just a bunch of cool nerds talking about cool nerd stuff” drained my soul from my body and made me cynical about the possibility of ever seeing a good movie ever again, just the most vapid bullshit

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s one way for him to reword them telling him “could you actually add something weird to this script called DOCTOR STRANGE, please”

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Money Plane

https://twitter.com/BoxrecGrey/status/1279215739459776512

Money Plane

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That’s IT! I have had it with this motherfuckin’ money on this motherfuckin’ PLANE!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am watching The Old Guard on Netflix and it's basically Highlander with less white dudes, except this time the immortals work together. Charlize Theron is, of course, killing it, but it's otherwise kind of boring. Now I wish I was watching Money Plane instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ALFbrot posted:

I know there's no real hope for this to come true, but I want Ready Player Two to be about how Wade has to deal with the many responsibilities that come with his newfound power, and being completely ill-equipped to handle anything that comes his way because all he knows how to do is defeat the straw hat guys from Big Trouble in Little China or quote St. Elmo's Fire or some poo poo

This is just like the episode of Ninja Turtles where Shredder took over the world but sucks at his job and wants to go back to being a two-bit supervillain

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys heard of this thing called Money Plane? Idk what it is but I hear its all the rage these days

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I want a RPO prequel with just a bunch of references from the 40's and 50's.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ernest Cline just seems like a guy that's about to be exposed as a molester some time soon. Better greenlight that RP2 movie adaptation fast.

Apparently at this rate the investors would need over 400 years to make their money back.

In other news,
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1281769694584864769

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If they don't have time travel that doubles as a Back to the Future crossover I don't know what the point is

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:allears:

I love these stupid rear end movies so much

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Man at this point just have the opening sequence be a shot-by-shot remake of the beginning of Heavy Metal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dom Toretto must find the Loc-Nar.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I live my life a quarter light year at a time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I gotta see Vin Diesel putzing around the solar system in a spaceship with Frank Frazetta artwork all over it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dom meets his long lost brother, Riddick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Dom, you can't go use the NOS in space, youll go faster than C! You could end up lost forever somewhere in the past"

"The I guess I'll C you again"

<plays sad song while Dom ends up back in Fast and the Furious 1, setting up a new reboot timeline where he plays an old mentor figure to young Toretto>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

"Dom, you can't go use the NOS in space, youll go faster than C! You could end up lost forever somewhere in the past"

"The I guess I'll C you again"

Motherfucker.

I can actually hear him speaking this line.