Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jo Joestar posted:

Are we sure that Aki is actually the Gun Fiend? He honestly looks more like Chainsaw or Sword or any of the others while they're transformed than Shark or Violence.

e:Not to mention that he knows Denji by name, which the Gun devil probably wouldn't be able to.

Nah. That's a fiend head. Hybrids have full on weapon faces. Fiends have human faces with messed up bits like Power's horns or the first fiend we met with the weird pincer jaws.

Hybrids also have their personalities completely intact, while fiends just get memories from their hosts, as shown with violence.

Also, we seem to be reaching a point, if we weren't there a long time ago, where every bad thing in the world is assumed to be Makima's fault until proven otherwise. (And still assumed to be her fault after that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

is it possible that Makima is a bad person?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
B R I T T L E B U L L E T

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Highest Cactus posted:

Future is not the best :(

I will never believe a manga again.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if power dies im out man

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
fujimoto if you hurt powy :mad:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Am I the only one who started laughing when I saw what was behind the door?

I mean it makes sense but at the same time is so absurd that all I can do is laugh.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Thoren posted:

Can you guys recommend some similar mangas? I don't mean in terms of genre or fantasy element but in the feeling Chainsaw Man gives off. I especially like the sense of the grim unknown and the predication that it all makes from within the shadowy system yet unknown to the reader. I have read Fire Punch.

Give DEATH FRENZY a try. it's totally humorless but it's pretty influential for most of these gorepunk cartoonists, and it's a scathing takedown of facism on some salo type beat https://mangadex.org/title/3273/shigurui

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Archenteron posted:

I mean it makes sense but at the same time is so absurd that all I can do is laugh.

The Future devil agrees with you.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Archenteron posted:

"I laugh, because I must not cry."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I wonder if the US president got a refund

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Highest Cactus posted:

is it possible that Makima is a bad person?

Nonsense!

Aki said she was a good person!

...Jokes aside, Makima's noted that this is going into her worst case scenario already, so even if this is something on her big list, it's the shittiest of all options, something only done because her hand is played.

I don't think she forced Gun into the corpse. If she did, sending Aki to kill Denji is a 12D Aizen chess move, something that requires knowing every little thing everyone did, something that doesn't remotely match to how we've seen Makima make her plays, or her own commenting with no witnesses that, whelp, this plan went to hell fast.

On the other hand, leaving a corpse as bait so that Gun would weaken himself? That one's on the table. And then it went wrong. Because things going right is something that doesn't happen much.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

o her worst case scenario already, so even if this is something on her big list, it's the shittiest of all options, something only done because her hand is played.

I don't think she forced Gun into the corpse. If she did, sending Aki to kill Denji is a 12D Aizen chess move, something that requires knowing every little thing everyone did, something that doesn't remotely match to how we've seen Makima make her plays, or her own commenting with no witnesses that, whelp, this plan went to hell fast.

On the other hand, leaving a corpse as bait so that Gun would weaken himself? That one's on the table. And then it went wrong. Because things going right is something that doesn't happen much.

Giving Makima the benefit of the doubt, one possible scenario is that she teleported to the Gun Devil’s location after her attack to inspect the corpse but it was playing dead and hijacked Aki’s corpse to escape, since Aki was the closest and most recently deceased corpse. This could’ve been a mistake on Makima’s part but c’mon, it’s Makima.

I feel this is another test from her in order to determine how useful Denji is/power him up. Japan’s higher ups are planning on wresting the Gun Devil remnants from the other countries so having Denji 1v1 a 20% Gun Devil would be a pretty good test to see if he’s up to the task. It might be part of her plan to sacrifice Aki (and maybe Power too) to level up Denji. The Chainsaw Devil is rumoured to be this big badass who defeated the 100% Gun Devil yet Denji hasn’t really demonstrated much of the chainsaw devil’s power. All of his power ups were just him learning how to use his head and fight better

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long has Denji had Chainsaw powers? A month, maybe 2?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I have to imagine even at 20% of its body the Gun Devil we saw is close to full power. A year from the life span of a couple hundred million people seems to be an unfathomably juicy sacrifice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

Giving Makima the benefit of the doubt, one possible scenario is that she teleported to the Gun Devil’s location after her attack to inspect the corpse but it was playing dead and hijacked Aki’s corpse to escape, since Aki was the closest and most recently deceased corpse. This could’ve been a mistake on Makima’s part but c’mon, it’s Makima.

Yes. It's Makima.

The Makima who was surprised Denji could resist her orders in chapter 1. The same Makima who got shot in the head out of nowhere, ruining her lunch plans. (although the rest of the plan mostly went great. Would have been nice to have a couple more trained agents left, but the important ones were fine.) The same Makima who had her vacation plans messed up by Bomb letting every other country know she had Denji. The Makima who nearly got killed in Hell when it turned out one of the assassins was aiming for her, not Denji. The Makima who said in chapter 74 that, unfortunately, things had taken the course that would cause the greatest damage.

People keep trying to paint her like she's always got a 12 steps ahead master plan, but from what we've actually seen, she's been much less in control (heh) than she likes to make people think. She sets up pawns where they might be useful later, she figures out broad routes to her goals, she adapts quickly, and she reacts to losses like they hardly matter, but we keep seeing her miss things, and there's only so much that can be waved away with "she was pretending to fail."

She's definitely good at the whole evil spy conspiracy thing, but she's better at pretending towards omniscience than the actual thing.

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long has Denji had Chainsaw powers? A month, maybe 2?

Probably longer than that. Makima says they'll be fighting the Gun Devil "Next year" at the start of International Assassins, and the character bonding would seem too fast if the cast's only known each other for a few weeks.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes. It's Makima.

The Makima who was surprised Denji could resist her orders in chapter 1. The same Makima who got shot in the head out of nowhere, ruining her lunch plans. (although the rest of the plan mostly went great. Would have been nice to have a couple more trained agents left, but the important ones were fine.) The same Makima who had her vacation plans messed up by Bomb letting every other country know she had Denji. The Makima who nearly got killed in Hell when it turned out one of the assassins was aiming for her, not Denji. The Makima who said in chapter 74 that, unfortunately, things had taken the course that would cause the greatest damage.

People keep trying to paint her like she's always got a 12 steps ahead master plan, but from what we've actually seen, she's been much less in control (heh) than she likes to make people think. She sets up pawns where they might be useful later, she figures out broad routes to her goals, she adapts quickly, and she reacts to losses like they hardly matter, but we keep seeing her miss things, and there's only so much that can be waved away with "she was pretending to fail."

She's definitely good at the whole evil spy conspiracy thing, but she's better at pretending towards omniscience than the actual thing.

That’s true, those are good points. I guess I am overlooking the fact that despite Makima managing to achieve her end objectives, the path isn’t always smooth and predictable. Going to hell definitely didn’t seem to be a part of her master plan.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I genuinely feel like the majority of extra bad stuff that has happened in chainsaw man is on account of Makima messing up and she is, good or bad, the antagonist. Who knows how much was planned but The Control Devil ultimately being a toxic influence on Denji's self-actualization just makes sense. Like, a consistent theme is intimacy and having someone who is used to manipulating everyone to their whims being most interested in the person who has the most resistance doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for a genuinely healthy dynamic.

So much of Denji's big moments of realization are planted there by Makima, intentionally or otherwise, and that just makes me feel incredibly cautious about every word she says even if she is only lying by omission. Or enforcing her view of the world on Denji who is just a poor, drat near illiterate dumpster child.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Makima is just so powerful that when things go wrong she can brute-force things to as good a conclusion as remains possible. When viewed from the outside it really makes you look like you're in control because it's easier to believe that you planned everything out instead of simply being so strong you can just force a victory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Makima is just so powerful that when things go wrong she can brute-force things to as good a conclusion as remains possible. When viewed from the outside it really makes you look like you're in control because it's easier to believe that you planned everything out instead of simply being so strong you can just force a victory.

That's definitely part of it. She's a capable enough planner (the Katana arc's bit with Kurose and Tendo comes to mind. She knows she's going to be out of town, so she sets up to 'train' people with the exact power she'll need to use to work from miles away.) but she's often left to adapt in a way that wouldn't work for someone without her raw power.

Add in that she's able to pick up information she has no right to know, and it means she can compensate for being blindsided with massive shows of force that look like she knows everything and only let you get away with your plan as far as she did because it was part of her plan.

You can actually see that dynamic pretty well in chapter 75. Makima's private monologue is "Well, my plans to minimize damage all failed. Would have been nice if they didn't. Oh well."

Meanwhile, the President talks about how every possible action is probably part of her master plan.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

atrus50 posted:

Give DEATH FRENZY a try. it's totally humorless but it's pretty influential for most of these gorepunk cartoonists, and it's a scathing takedown of facism on some salo type beat https://mangadex.org/title/3273/shigurui

drat this is so grotesque but I can't stop reading it (just like chainsaw man/fire punch). The art is incredible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just started on this, currently up to chapter 20. Denji and Power are so completely thick as two short planks it is glorious.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

I just started on this, currently up to chapter 20. Denji and Power are so completely thick as two short planks it is glorious.

Denji and Power are amazing and wholesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw. I liked Himeno.

On the other hand:

:allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chapter 77 is out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chainsaw Man is really intent on ripping my heart apart.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Aki is dead.
Long live Aki-47.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RatHat posted:

Aki is dead.
Long live Aki-47.

Motherfucker. :nsavince:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

RatHat posted:

Aki is dead.
Long live Aki-47.

:perfect:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This was an extremely good week to finish a full re-read of the series.

Pretty sure this isn't the only payoff we're going to see for "Don't open it," though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Reading it with the official translation just made me feel sadder.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Aki is dead.
Long live Aki-47.

Too soon man. Too soon :smith:

The Mangaka is doing really well with the cinematic angles.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat posted:

Aki is dead.
Long live Aki-47.

Goddammit I wanna punch you. Well done.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
maybe denji is the dream and chainsaw is waking up

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

drat this is so grotesque but I can't stop reading it (just like chainsaw man/fire punch). The art is incredible.

yeah dont know many people aware of this in the states but it got an anime by madhouse at some point (that only adapted like half of the comic, but still lead with the framing device of the fight lol) and there is still no English license. i heard about it when i read a hayashida Q interview where she namedroped it as the best manga running at the time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That was a kick in the loving balls

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Look, remember the rule of threes. This manga has already had two big scenes involving Denji, Aki, and someone getting kicked in the balls repeatedly. Denji fought Aki when they first met and kicked him so many times in the nuts that by the time they were done, both of them were a mess. When they captured swordguy, they bonded over having a nutkicking contest in honor of their fallen comrade.

Maybe this time, Denji kicks him so loving hard in the nuts, Aki remembers who he is and overcomes the Gun Devil. By the power of friendship and repeated ball trauma.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Change the thread title to Chainsaw Man: Under no circumstances does “the future rule”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The future is Chainsnow.