Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

trying to transition to thumbs up which is probably also problematic somehow.

Just steer clear of Iran, Greece, Russia, Sardinia, Slovakia, China, East Asia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, and most of West Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Italians really hate it when you give a thumbs up while smiling, but then turn it into a thumbs down as you widen your eyes and cruelly pervert your smile

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also it’s extremely obvious which is which.

Scuba diver communicating with diving partner: not nazi

Six white men under forty in suits, all doing ok symbol for a photo: prolly nazi

Although it would be amusing to see the diver flip out and punch the dude. Should be a hell of a conversation back at the surface.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Six white men under forty in suits, all doing ok symbol for a photo: prolly nazi

I was trying to find an article about the police officer who was was caught flashing it and tried to claim he was wishing the protesters a good day, but it turns out there are a million cases like that, all with different lame excuses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If you’re a political candidate caught doing the Nazi salute, just claim you’re imitating a potted plant.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

bony tony posted:

He was just really into craft beer and rocks

they're not rocks Marie

they're minerals

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now, if in the picture the six white men under forty in suits are doing the symbol while imminent danger lurks in the background is it a racist symbol or an ironic juxtaposition of a group telling the viewer that everything is A-OK while the viewer knows this not to be the case?

This is fun.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone giving the symbol can safely be punched; Either they are a Nazi and can be punched for being a nazi, or they are trying to tell you things are okay, but its 2020 and nothing is okay, so can be punched for lying to you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Harvard student (of course)
https://twitter.com/aqilazme/status/1270388152297852929?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If u punch me u r a cop

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

christmas boots posted:

If u punch me u r a cop

Sounds like something a cop would say

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

christmas boots posted:

If u punch me u r a cop
Stop hitting yourself

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
With politicians like this the game is always "are they actually this stupid or do they just think their constituency is?"
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1281622984692727814?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I want all of your badge numbers

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

With politicians like this the game is always "are they actually this stupid or do they just think their constituency is?"
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1281622984692727814?s=20

the only way i have been able to make headway with people is explaining it in terms of their kids getting hurt playing soccer, breaking their ankle or something, but the ER not having enough capacity to treat them because it's full of covid patients. that seems to bring it home a little

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

boar guy posted:

the only way i have been able to make headway with people is explaining it in terms of their kids getting hurt playing soccer, breaking their ankle or something, but the ER not having enough capacity to treat them because it's full of covid patients. that seems to bring it home a little

“Listen old man, we can’t deal with your hernia right now because we’re at capacity. Go be old somewhere else, idiot”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1281680094218592259
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1281684756824981504

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tik Tok isn’t even owned by China is it? It’s just Trump mad about teens owning him

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tik Tok isn’t even owned by China is it? It’s just Trump mad about teens owning him

It’s owned by a multinational based out of Beijing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

christmas boots posted:

It’s owned by a multinational based out of Beijing.

Yeah so this does nothing really.

But idiots eat this stupid shot up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah so this does nothing really.

But idiots eat this stupid shot up

It gathers up a horrific amount of personal data, and I don't think you get to be a giant corporation based in Beijing by saying no to the government when it asks for copies of that info.

But the supposed ban probably is really just because teenagers are making fun of Trump on it, because this is hellworld.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's worth noting that Amazon advised all their employees to get rid of it, and the DNC has issued guidance that any campaigns using it for putting out campaign videos should do so on a burner phone with a new account. There is a pretty broad spectrum of people in areas that have to be concerned with IT security who have worries about it.

That said, I have zero reason to suspect that any kind of nuance or actual grounded concerns are behind what the White House is doing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It gathers up a horrific amount of personal data, and I don't think you get to be a giant corporation based in Beijing by saying no to the government when it asks for copies of that info.

But the supposed ban probably is really just because teenagers are making fun of Trump on it, because this is hellworld.

Almost everything gathers a bunch of personal data. Focusing on one platform is pissing on the wind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1281658628429078529/photo/1

Ouch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Trump's only doing it because he's mad about teens but also independent of that tiktok turned itself off in Hong Kong because protestors were using it to talk about things and there's repeated reveals of it deliberately deprioritising anyone who's not white/asian, straight, and skinny.

Stopped clock etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jimorear/status/1281396815242366976

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I want all of your badge numbers

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nice

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

:ssh:

E:

GlobglogGroAbgalab has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Jul 10, 2020

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

nobody outside of the internet knows anything about this poo poo, nobody cares

I work for a clothing company that targets middle-aged and elderly women. We actually got a complaint because there was a product shot on our website where the model was giving the OK sign (she was actually pulling the hem of her shirt with her thumb and pointer finger). Some grandmas are terminally online I guess.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Almost everything gathers a bunch of personal data. Focusing on one platform is pissing on the wind

Tiktok is a fishing app hidden inside a social media platform, and is bad news regardless of whatever source on the other end is collecting that data. But the reason Trump is going after it ad not Facebook is pretty obvious.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Didn't Vine get shut down basically because they wouldn't harvest user data in the way TikTok ultimately would?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
damned if you mine

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CharlestheHammer posted:

TikTok is especially egregious even above the heavy hitters

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

there wolf posted:

Tiktok is a fishing app hidden inside a social media platform, and is bad news regardless of whatever source on the other end is collecting that data. But the reason Trump is going after it ad not Facebook is pretty obvious.

Yeah, TikTok is hoovering up personal information but watch Google / FB scream if you suggest they restrict the data they gather on people. It's yellow peril fear-mongering. There is also probably a bit of nudge nudge wink wink to FB etc that they'll happily tank competitors for them if they play ball.

Having genuine concern for peoples personal information would cause them to put in genuine laws to restrict what companies can collect.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Consider that one of the earliest things he did in office was to sign a bill repealing privacy protections that would have forced ISPs to ask customers before selling browsing history, geolocation, financial and health information to advertisers. That bill had absolutely zero public support beyond the industry.

It’s not Americans’ privacy he cares about, just the fact that it’s China harvesting the data this time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Consider that one of the earliest things he did in office was to sign a bill repealing privacy protections that would have forced ISPs to ask customers before selling browsing history, geolocation, financial and health information to advertisers. That bill had absolutely zero public support beyond the industry.

It’s not Americans’ privacy he cares about, just the fact that it’s China harvesting the data this time.
He doesn't care about that either, he's just mad about the rally thing.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

What's uh.. what's #8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT