Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

oh no computer posted:

I'm pretty sure it started life in rugby as a bawdy song ([testicles] swinging low, coming forth, etc) that was sung in local clubhouses years before supporters of the English national team started singing it at matches.

lol at the idea that rugby dressing rooms used to be full of people ready to break into a full singalong of a spiritual at a moment's notice

also it's "coming for to" just fyi

bessantj posted:

They only really have to change the logo, they can use local history and use a leader of the Dumnonii tribe as their 'chief'.

and get rid of the Chop

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

They only really have to change the logo, they can use local history and use a leader of the Dumnonii tribe as their 'chief'.

I think that was a kingdom.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

I think that was a kingdom.

Hence 'chief'.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^ I suppose they could go all in on the ringmail and spears. It would be a look.

Julio Cruz posted:

and get rid of the Chop

They really need to do that, they need to convince the fans. Or the fans need to convince the fans.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
A groups of fans are trying to get things changed but some dickheads tried to doxx them and the Eggchasers podcast and Andy "Fat Farage" Goode keeps riling twats up against them with their thermonuclear takes on the matter.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

bessantj posted:

Yes you're right. I think however it's better to do a full clean break than half measures. Easier to root out the bad fan behavior like wearing war bonnets or the chop if you totally walk away from the previous brand.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Now the Chiefs need to change their name and racist rear end logo too.

They also have this :

He stands near the away fans' seating with his arms crossed for the entire game, and scolds people who get up to buy food / go to the toilet. At half time, 'Big Chief' takes photos with children, while everyone chases a man in an Otter suit around the pitch, for the chance to win a wheel of cheese.

I think they have some work to do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

They also have this :

He stands near the away fans' seating with his arms crossed for the entire game, and scolds people who get up to buy food / go to the toilet. At half time, 'Big Chief' takes photos with children, while everyone chases a man in an Otter suit around the pitch, for the chance to win a wheel of cheese.

And they say white people have no culture :smug:

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Tyma posted:

They also have this :

Yeah that's not great, though pretty par for the course for sports teams that have Native American mascots.

I mean hell FSU still does the flaming spear bit before football games. Still shocked the Seminole tribe gave them permission to do it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EzzZfZ5PTs7yNd3Z8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Tyma posted:

At half time, 'Big Chief' takes photos with children, while everyone chases a man in an Otter suit around the pitch, for the chance to win a wheel of cheese.

The second half of this sentence sure took a turn.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

A groups of fans are trying to get things changed but some dickheads tried to doxx them and the Eggchasers podcast and Andy "Fat Farage" Goode keeps riling twats up against them with their thermonuclear takes on the matter.

I'd not heard of the Eggchasers until last week and they've come across as a right bunch of tedious banter lads. I think I'll giv e their podcast a miss.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somehow having British fans doing the chop and having racist American indigenous mascots is even worse than American baseball teams doing it, because it’s appropriation of somebody else’s racism :psyduck:

(For the record no teams should be doing it, and seeing Kansas City going through to the Super Bowl and their fans doing it made me feel pretty lovely. I thought it was Atlanta only. Now it’s worked it’s way to the UK?!)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Return To Play Awareness Course is legitimately one of the hardest google-able exams I've taken, and I've never been dropped on my head in a match.

I don't expect any Welsh scrum-halves to pass this before November :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It looks fairly likely that the Rugby Championships will be hosted entirely by New Zealand this year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense, test everyone then quarentine all parties in a training area after arrival and then play a full on tournament infront of live crowds.

Honestly it'll kinda own if it goes ahead.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just have to bring over massive squads.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Brilliant try.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That was a terrible decision.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Great and honest win by the Canes.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Great and honest win by the Canes.

Yeah that was a fantastic game. Really enjoying NZ super Rugby since it came back, it really shows how exciting a club competition can be

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
chiefs crushing the highlanders

algebra testes posted:

Super Rugby Au leading Reds.

also....

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

algebra testes posted:

This aged well.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

This aged well.

Haha. What a game. Coping my earlier post
...NZ super rugby is so much fun

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol no way I turned the game off.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

algebra testes posted:

also....

https://youtu.be/Drw39IypXYw

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Trans women face potential women’s rugby ban over safety concerns

World Rugby possibly lining up a ban on trans women competing with cis women.

quote:

World Rugby is considering banning trans women from playing women’s rugby because of significant safety concerns that have emerged following recent research, a decision that would make it the first international sports federation to go down that path.

The Guardian can reveal that in a 38-page draft document produced by its transgender working group, it is acknowledged that there is likely to be “at least a 20-30% greater risk” of injury when a female player is tackled by someone who has gone through male puberty. The document also says the latest science shows that trans women retain “significant” physical advantages over biological women even after they take medication to lower their testosterone.

quote:

As World Rugby’s working group notes, players who are assigned male at birth and whose puberty and development is influenced by androgens/testosterone “are stronger by 25%-50%, are 30% more powerful, 40% heavier, and about 15% faster than players who are assigned female at birth (who do not experience an androgen-influenced development).”

EDIT:

quote:

The proposals also recommend that transgender men should be allowed to play against other men – provided they get a physical assessment and a therapeutic-exemption-use certificate and sign an statement accepting they understand the greater injury risks.

It does seem like trans women have a significant advantage but then so do some rugby players, maybe we'll look back and say that Lomu should have never been allowed to play.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 20, 2020

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
About time a major sporting body made the right call on that for player safety alone even setting aside fairness.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
This article seems to be of a different opinion:
https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

As bessantj said, Jonah Lomu had a bigger advantage over his fellow players than probably any transwoman will have, so why did we not talk about banning him from Rugby?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

As bessantj said, Jonah Lomu had a bigger advantage over his fellow players than probably any transwoman will have, so why did we not talk about banning him from Rugby?

He’s a man.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
It's an emotive subject but the existence of an advantage for people who went through male puberty in terms of muscle and bone density that persists even after HRT is a solid enough reason to make this decision. It's terrible for the women who won't be able to play, but if a demonstrable advantage is shown to exist across this population then it is hard to argue it away.

Lomu was a physical freak, but he was one person. If studies showed, as an example, Pacific Islanders were 30% more likely across the board to injure non-PI players (lol ask anyone who played Tonga in the 90s) then we probably would be having a similar conversation on safety grounds.

It's definitely something they should be researching and assessing moving forward, this ruling should only apply as long as the research supports it.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

BabyFur Denny posted:

Didn't will Carling pretty much say he should be banned after that RWC semi in 95,. Lol.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
The 20-30% higher statistic that they use as the justification for the exclusionary policy I find lacks context. How does that compare to a forward running up against a scrum-half in injury likely hood? What about an out of shape old-boy on a social pitch with an in-shape 20-year-old? Are there specific situations that are more dangerous than others? That statistic is far to simplistic to me to be used as justification for this.

I also have a hard time taking this seriously when trans people make up such a tiny portion of the population, but repeatedly get targeted for this type of exclusionary policy. This policy totally misses the part of risk analysis around how often an event is likely to happen. If we say that trans people are represented at twice the rate in rugby than in the world at large that is 1% of rugby players. At that rate you could expect to run into a trans player once every 6-7 games. And that one player will increase your risk of being injured by them specifically by 20-30%. Really a tiny overall increase. And again this assumes that trans people are 1% of rugby players, not the 0.6% they are of the larger population.

There is risk is playing rugby(much like everything), but I don't think they have presented that the risk in trans women playing with cis women is actually that much greater. I also think that the benefit of including our trans sisters in the rugby community is greater than the higher risk of injury.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 21, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
players with a history of concussions are much more likely to get more concussions in the future but for some reason there isn't a movement trying to ban them from playing

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

I read some of that article and it made me realise just how uninformed I am so thanks for the post.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Split all rugby into weight classes like the fat lads 7s tournament I forget the name of.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

Split all rugby into weight classes like the fat lads 7s tournament I forget the name of.

God that looked amazing

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

One of the oft-commended talking points of rugby (specifically union) is that it's a game for all shapes and sizes. I mean I'm not any kind of expert on the matter so the science will ultimately sway my opinion on this, but for me to take note of the conclusions it's going to need to take account of this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

drunk leprechaun posted:

The 20-30% higher statistic that they use as the justification for the exclusionary policy I find lacks context. How does that compare to a forward running up against a scrum-half in injury likely hood? What about an out of shape old-boy on a social pitch with an in-shape 20-year-old? Are there specific situations that are more dangerous than others? That statistic is far to simplistic to me to be used as justification for this.

I also have a hard time taking this seriously when trans people make up such a tiny portion of the population, but repeatedly get targeted for this type of exclusionary policy. This policy totally misses the part of risk analysis around how often an event is likely to happen. If we say that trans people are represented at twice the rate in rugby than in the world at large that is 1% of rugby players. At that rate you could expect to run into a trans player once every 6-7 games. And that one player will increase your risk of being injured by them specifically by 20-30%. Really a tiny overall increase. And again this assumes that trans people are 1% of rugby players, not the 0.6% they are of the larger population.

There is risk is playing rugby(much like everything), but I don't think they have presented that the risk in trans women playing with cis women is actually that much greater. I also think that the benefit of including our trans sisters in the rugby community is greater than the higher risk of injury.

Also I agree with this wholeheartedly

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It's loving horseshit because I guarantee they are using the absolute extreme as an example eg "What if someone Adam Jones size decided to be a woman"

It's just lightly veiled transphobia

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

CyberPingu posted:

It's loving horseshit because I guarantee they are using the absolute extreme as an example eg "What if someone Adam Jones size decided to be a woman"

It's just lightly veiled transphobia

Not only thinly veiled but it's also the horn of Gondor to the absolute clownshoes that insist on calling trans women "men" on rugby twitter posts and used as a further stick to beat an already shat upon demographic.