Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Chastain has been finishing well lately, I'm hoping he can join the rest of his team soon with a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao bye bye thin blue line car

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

GD_American posted:

10-4. Dale is pretty decent too, but Ned was all-time.

Ned also went out of his way to apologize to Earnhardt after cheering his son on at the 500 in '93. Dale pretty much responded with "That's OK, I'm a dad too."

I'm much more an open wheel guy, but Bob Jenkins/Ned Jarrett/Benny Parsons might be my favorite commentary team ever in any sport.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GD_American posted:

NASCAR and NBC were forced to confront this about twenty years ago; when ESPN decided it didn't want the NASCAR license anymore we got away from professional broadcast teams and went to more or less who's available from the Who's Who. NASCAR, Fox, and NBC all shrugged and said "looks fine to me" and we've all just accepted the blatant homerism as the cost of doing business.

As mentioned above, blatant cheater (and, if oldtime NASCAR poster leica is to be believed, absolute shitheart) Mikey Waltrip was basically allowed to lie, cheer, and plug his way through broadcasts with no repercussions. He wasn't even the most egregious; Rusty Wallace used to do Busch/Nextel broadcasts and several times a year you could hilariously see them hem and haw and not mention his son Stephen boneheadedly wrecking himself or others.

With DW, it was basically presented to us as a feature, not a bug. The end of the Daytona 500 in 2001 (you know, the Dale Takes A Right Turn race) was literally DW pulling for his brother.

Contrast this with Ned Jarrett, the consummate professional and Southern gentleman, who remained almost entirely professional calling many of his son Dale's victories, only breaking up that I remember after he won the first time at Daytona. (After.)

One thing which might factor into this is there used to be some variety in the broadcast crews because, prior to 2001, you had up to 6 networks covering Cup races. Their booth crews at the end were:
ESPN- Bob Jenkins/Jerry Punch, Benny Parsons, Ned Jarrett
ABC- Bob, BP, Ray Evernham
TNN- Eli Gold, Buddy Baker, Dick "DICK" Berggren
CBS- Mike Joy, Buddy, Ned
TBS- Allen Bestwick, Buddy, Dick
NBC- AB, BP

Once the first big TV deal was signed, you essentially had two networks and two sets of voices for the entire season which you couldn't get away from.

FOX/FX- Mike, Larry McReynolds, Darrell Waltrip
NBC/TNT- AB, BP, Wally Dallenbach

...and the only time you got to hear somebody else's perspective was when the B team would cover a non companion Busch race, when you'd have like Mark Garrow and Chad Little on FX or Rick Benjamin/Mike Hogewood/Eli Gold and whoever they had do color on NBC/TNT.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 11, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
and Joe Buck covers every other loving sport

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That's Dr. Jerry Punch

god that loving crew was the best in racing history

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Proud Christian Mom posted:

and Joe Buck covers every other loving sport
Poorly

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im just watchin the T&S and onboards and it appears that this here is a certified woopinŽ

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Count on this kid to loving lose it.

WOMP WOMP

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/XfinityRacing/status/1281778655887331328

love promoting our safe and orderly motorsports operations on twitter

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pinecone Sample posted:

Gragson is getting to be a bit of a pinball.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

That's Dr. Jerry Punch

god that loving crew was the best in racing history

Dr. Jerry Punch, the man who provided all the background and history needed for the hit movie Days of Thunder

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Don't forget too that Robbie "Mo-mo-mentum" Buhl was in the booth doing Indycar races in the Versus TV days. He was part-owner of Dreyer and Reinbold during that time and was calling races that his car was running in.

I recall Bob and Scott Goodyear, I think, joking with him about having to write a big check if/after his car wrecked.

I mostly remember Uncle Bobby bickering with Sam Posey, usually about some call related to Al Jr.

Dr. Jerry Punch is a treasure and is one of those voices I genuinely miss hearing call a race. Any race.

Beachbum30
Feb 13, 2006

by Pragmatica

Reynold posted:

lmao bye bye thin blue line car

hating cops is cool and good am i rite :rolleye:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Beachbum30 posted:

Hi welcome to the NASCAR thread :wave:

Beachbum30
Feb 13, 2006

by Pragmatica

CactusWeasle posted:

Hi welcome to the NASCAR thread :wave:

lurking for years

knew i had an account but didn't know the details i recently moved and found the sign in info
:

:wave:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Beachbum30 posted:

it is!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pinecone Sample posted:

nascar is not wrestling, they can't actually control where the car goes once someone wrecks it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Beachbum30 posted:

You can hate the horrific things they do without hating them if you like. They are the systematic is systematic.

Single lane tracks make for good fighting as you have to wreck the guy in front of you to pass them. They need to add fight island in the empty stands.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
imagine now being the time to decide "finally time to delurk and defend the good name of cops!" what are you thinking son

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Vando posted:

imagine now being the time to decide "finally time to delurk and defend the good name of cops!" what are you thinking son

he's been frozen in ice since 2006, be kind

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Vasukhani posted:

nascar is not wrestling, they can't actually control where the car goes once someone wrecks it

exactly, are you saying that throwing punches is racin'?

turns out NASCAR realized it might not be so funny to be so "boys have it" in a pandemic after some reflection

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1281702815665135616

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

he's been frozen in ice since 2006, be kind

I would imagine he's be desperately trying to re-freeze himself since this morning.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Beachbum30 posted:

:frogout:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pinecone Sample posted:

exactly, are you saying that throwing punches is racin'?

turns out NASCAR realized it might not be so funny to be so "boys have it" in a pandemic after some reflection

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1281702815665135616

its gonna take a car flying into the stands for drivers to respect what they are doing, have at it boys never died

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

its gonna take a car flying into the stands for drivers to respect what they are doing, have at it boys never died

That's pretty much happened already and I hope boys have at it never dies.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

GD_American posted:

With DW, it was basically presented to us as a feature, not a bug. The end of the Daytona 500 in 2001 (you know, the Dale Takes A Right Turn race) was literally DW pulling for his brother.

DW is real bad but sometimes he forgets to be bad and actually be good. Like his call of the 2003 Rebel 400 finish.

Larry: "these cars are driving terrible right now"
Darrell: "nah..these cars are drivin GOOD. Come get him in this corner I dunno if he can but he's gotta get him right here in the corner"

Like legit cheering on the underfunded 32 to outrun the 97 is good to me, less fun when he's doing it for his brother or whatever.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Beachbum30 posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I will take the bold stance of agreeing with Beach Bum #30: Hating cops is cool and good, and I am thankful that someone finally had the b*lls to say it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

DW is real bad but sometimes he forgets to be bad and actually be good. Like his call of the 2003 Rebel 400 finish.

Larry: "these cars are driving terrible right now"
Darrell: "nah..these cars are drivin GOOD. Come get him in this corner I dunno if he can but he's gotta get him right here in the corner"

Like legit cheering on the underfunded 32 to outrun the 97 is good to me, less fun when he's doing it for his brother or whatever.

That's fine 17 years ago but by 2014 when he was much less cogent it was far less charming

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

Have at it boys was neutered to the point where they had to say have at it boys was back.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

beat his rear end hailie :argh:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

beat his rear end hailie :argh:

https://twitter.com/ARCA_Racing/status/1282040433774714881

Wow, filth

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dont worry, the trump autograph on her helmet will protect her from any wall damage as it conveys his love of them.

Beachbum30
Feb 13, 2006

by Pragmatica
maybe you'll need a cop one day and then what? you people are weird

why does everyone not know that we should all be racing fans at the same time together? dumbness.

im scraed of the future

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Beachbum30 posted:

lmao you have definitely never needed police.

quote:

im scraed of the future

ahh this is an old parachute account troll, boring

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
my need for someone to provide the assistance a police force is allegedly supposed to offer is in fact part of the rich tapestry of issues I have with cops, yes

on the other hand it does my heart good every time I see the blue line car eat poo poo so I can only say this is a good thing that I welcome in the sport

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Wasting a 14 year old virginal parachute account by trolling the NASCAR thread seems like a waste :shrug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beachbum30 posted:

why does everyone not know that we should all be racing fans at the same time together? dumbness.

im scraed of the future

they've spent the last month+ shooting protestors point-blank with rubber bullets and a chemical that's literally banned by the loving geneva convention why the gently caress would i or any other rational human being ever trust them to do jack fuckin poo poo to help anyone

like their response to these protests should have shut dipshits like you who genuinely believe that they are noble, helpful people up forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beachbum30 posted:

im scraed of the future

Maybe I'll need a cop one day in an emergency and it'll take one 3 hours to actually get to me and do their job hopefully in a non-halfass way.

Or maybe I just won't need a cop.