Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yes i'm aware of why it was posted (in addition to #1)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I read the second 1 as a slash. So "14/88"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

It gathers up a horrific amount of personal data, and I don't think you get to be a giant corporation based in Beijing by saying no to the government when it asks for copies of that info.

So you're saying it's a social media app?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MizPiz posted:

So you're saying it's a social media app?

I'll try and find the thing about it but it was reverse engineered by a privacy buff and he was shocked at how much worse on every level it was than Facebook, Google and Twitter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think you even have to ask the companies to hand over data in the US.

They do that poo poo for free

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skwirl posted:

I'll try and find the thing about it but it was reverse engineered by a privacy buff and he was shocked at how much worse on every level it was than Facebook, Google and Twitter.

Not new news, but tbh if you have tiktiok, just get rid of it

OP is gone but the first comment is what's interesting, and that's still there. I think this bit summarizes it nicely:

quote:

For what it's worth I've reversed the Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter apps. They don't collect anywhere near the same amount of data that TikTok does, and they sure as hell aren't outright trying to hide exactly whats being sent like TikTok is. It's like comparing a cup of water to the ocean - they just don't compare.

tl;dr; I'm a nerd who figures out how apps work for a job. Calling it an advertising platform is an understatement. TikTok is essentially malware that is targeting children. Don't use TikTok. Don't let your friends and family use it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does something like that get past certification in the first place?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I haven't looked into the details of this but it sounds like Tiktok is designed so that it's hard to see exactly what it's doing. The certification is looking for more obvious malfeasance and is going to miss anything more subtle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think you even have to ask the companies to hand over data in the US.

They do that poo poo for free

US companies don’t do anything for free

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

US companies don’t do anything for free

Which is where the child murder-rape parties come in

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As far as I can tell TikTok exists to entertain bored cops, troops and security guards

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently there's a new Pizzagate style conspiracy about Wayfair selling children through their website? Apparently these cabinets have the names of missing children

And because we live in hellworld it's a matter of time before someone shoots up a Wayfair.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Yeah, my dad had the Johnny Gosch when I was a kid, kept him off my rear end for a minute

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

Apparently there's a new Pizzagate style conspiracy about Wayfair selling children through their website? Apparently these cabinets have the names of missing children

And because we live in hellworld it's a matter of time before someone shoots up a Wayfair.

The first two I can't find anything credible of any children by those names missing. There was a missing Samiah on July 2nd but the article was updated to say she'd been found safe (14 year old, mentions mental illness). Alyvia is the middle name of a girl who went missing in 2018 at age 15 and there's no updates so that loving sucks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skwirl posted:

The first two I can't find anything credible of any children by those names missing. There was a missing Samiah on July 2nd but the article was updated to say she'd been found safe (14 year old, mentions mental illness). Alyvia is the middle name of a girl who went missing in 2018 at age 15 and there's no updates so that loving sucks.

How much more proof do you need? Wake up man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Please return my son, WFX Utility.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everyone at school picks on the Pöpli kids

Even I do

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1281276972463730689

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1278526834573897728

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ok but explain this: If there aren't children in those cabinets, then why do they cost as much as a car?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bismuth posted:

Ok but explain this: If there aren't children in those cabinets, then why do they cost as much as a car?

good gas mileage?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

reddit posted:

Is it possible Wayfair involved in Human trafficking with their WFX Utility collection? Or are these just extremely overpriced cabinets? (Note the names of the cabinets) this makes me sick to my stomach if it’s true :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Just Lol if you can't get a 14 year old for less than that. Billionaire pedophiles don't become billionaires by pay extra for their children.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

more kids should have done this.

(i did this and it atleast stop the regressive noise from being blasted from the TV and makes it go to the smaller phone / tablet)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1281786284973928449

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lmao
https://twitter.com/angrybooklady/status/1281788538158276611

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
gently caress the cheese you coward.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There was a time when Celibacy was a sacred vow between you and God or some type of higher calling, not about getting pissed at other people for getting some when you can't.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

Just Lol if you can't get a 14 year old for less than that. Billionaire pedophiles don't become billionaires by pay extra for their children.

That's just a truism, the reality is that expansive children are status symbol meant to be shown off at rape parties and conferences/conventions to establish your place in the social pecking order. That's why it's so scandalous when someone outside of the socioeconomic club starts raping the top-shelf kids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that the plot of Amigara Fault?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Virgin Pick Up Artist vs the Chad Empathetic Man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roosh once said castle doctrine meant you were allowed to rape anyone who came to your housewarming party.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Volcott posted:

gently caress the cheese you coward.

Buddy,

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a gay man, so maybe I don't *get* how to really woo the ladies

But I'm starting to think this Roosh guy might not exactly be someone to follow

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Jesus, can we avoid pedophile jokes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

winterwerefox posted:

Jesus, can we avoid pedophile jokes.

Agreed. They’re getting old which nobody likes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a gay man, so maybe I don't *get* how to really woo the ladies

But I'm starting to think this Roosh guy might not exactly be someone to follow

Hilariously, Roosh is the progenitor of a lot of PUA garbage. When hbomberguy did a video on them, he noted that weirdly, Roosh actually seemed kind of repulsed at the idea of having sex with women, or just sex in general.

What I'm saying is that Roosh is a psychologist's PhD thesis waiting to happen.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

more like oldyikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

There was a time when Celibacy was a sacred vow between you and God or some type of higher calling, not about getting pissed at other people for getting some when you can't.

ehhh