Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

"the DR2C official website posted:

Death Road to Canada is a Randomly Generated Road Trip Action-RPG.

You have to manage a car full of jerks as they explore cities, find weird people, and face up to 500 zombies at once.

Everything's randomized: locations, events, survivor personalities. There's a different story every time you play.

Find special events, rare encounters, and unique recruits. Find a grunting super-bodybuilder. Try to tame half-wild dogs.

Survivors have different personalities and quirks that may help or hinder you.

Create characters to find in the game. Make yourself, friends, family, and more! Share these custom jerks with others.

Fight or flee from increasingly gigantic hordes of slow, classic-style zombies.
Be careful, death is permanent!

Make tough choices in Interactive Fiction text events. Get different results based on the traits of people in your group.

Start in Florida and try survive the journey to Canada, the last zombie-free nation!

https://youtu.be/6o9U2llvYPk

I need some audience participation in this low effort video LP. See the bolded part? Any of y'all want to go with me to Canada? I'll put you on the roster. DR2C not only chooses from the roster at the start but picks characters throughout the game. It's Canada or Death for the chumps on the list.

You need to tell me
--who you are
--your trait (choose one): Bandit, BERSERK!, Calm Under Fire, Charming, Civilized, Fierce Tempered, Frantic Whiner, Inventive, Irritating, Mysterious Past, Nuturing, Oblivious, Paranoid, Practical, Resilient Type, Warrior
--your perk (choose one): Athlete, Big Bruiser, Car Nut, Explorer, Fighter, Friend of Dog, Gun Collector, Gungineer, Health Care, Martial Artist, Mechanic, Megabuff, Surgeon, Ultrafit
--anything about your in-game appearance if you want. I'll just smack the randomizer otherwise.

If you have no idea what these mean, just pick what sounds good. Nobody explain it! The game doesn't explain anything, why should we? Pretend we're playing Mau. I mean if you've played before and you know what you're doing you can munchkin it or whatever.

Please don't spoil anything. This is a fresh save, reset all the unlockables, etc. I played the crap out of this game in 2019 and saw about 60% of it, so stuff is new to me too. If you drop spoilers, I'm knocking you off the roster.

I'm also looking for co-commentators if anyone would be interested.

UPDATES

ZOMBO POINTS screenshot update

Let's Play Death Road to Canada - #1 - Discombobulated Inferno
Let's Play Death Road to Canada - #2 - The Get-Along Gang We're Not
Let's Play Death Road to Canada - #3 - HONK

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Roster
updated 29 July 2020

Name: Sera
Trait: Calm Under Fire
Perk: Surgeon

Name: tomanton
Trait: Civilized
Perk: Explorer

Name: Dirk Steadfast
Trait: Warrior
Perk: Big Bruiser

Name: Larry Hamfists
Trait: Paranoid
Perk: Friend of Dog

Name: Mr. Notazombie
Trait: Mysterious Past

Name: TQ
Trait: Inventive

Name: Starblade
Trait: Oblivious

Name: Chad
Trait: Irritating
Perk: Megabuff

Name: Rocket
Trait: Frantic Whiner
Perk: Surgeon

Name: Robe
Trait: Bandit

Name: Voltic
Trait: Practical
Perk: Megabuff

Name: Leraika
Trait: Nuturing
Perk: Gun Collector

Name: Horseboy

Name: anilEhilated
Perk: Gungineer

Name: Ayndin
Trait: Paranoid

Name: Coffee
Trait: Warrior

Name: Bookthief
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Guests
updated 11 July 2020

Everyone's favorite two-fisted zombie-fighting TV sheriff - episode 1
CAAAAAARRRRLLLL!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Boneyard
updated 19 July 2020

Name: Soda
Trait: BERSERK!
Fate: shot off at the mouth for the last time - episode 1

Name: Megane
Perk: Health Care
Fate: turns out the living are highly flammable - episode 1

Name: Nori
Fate: surrounded by zombies punching valiantly to the end - episode 1

Name: Yams
Perk: Car Nut
Fate: rifles don't cure being surrounded - episode 2

Name: The Canadian Guard
Trait: Ultrafit
Perk: Irritating
Fate: the snubnose revolver was not enough - episode 3

Name: Frank Hardslab
Trait: Fierce Tempered
Perk: Martial Artist
Fate: didn't we learn anything from Soda? - episode 3

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 30, 2020

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Can't wait to COOL IT

Name: tomanton
Trait: Civilized

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dirk Steadfast
Warrior
Big Bruiser

And he should look exactly like you would imagine Dirk Steadfast would be.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Name: Larry Hamfists
Paranoid
Friend of Dog

make him look as shady as possible is the only request I have as far as looks

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Name: Mr. Notazombie
Trait: Mysterious Past
Appearance: Make him look as zombie-like as you can.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Name: TQ
Appearance: if guile hair is an option, guile hair. Otherwise, as nondescript and average joe as possible

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I shall be Yams, the Inventive Car Nut.

As for appearance, I can just paste in a pic of my own DRtC character! I really like this game, it's a riot.

I can't remember if car nut actually does anything if you don't start with the character? I almost always start a run as myself. Regardless, it's my personal build, and so I am obligated to stick to it. At the very least I should become a car-repairing machine fairly easily.

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 9, 2020

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Name: Nori

Pound that randomizer for looks. Love this game!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Starblade, Oblivious, Explorer. Random looks.

What zombies? :v:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Name: Chad
Trait: irritating
Perk: megabuff/ultrafit (whatever someone else didnt pick)

For appearance gotta have whatever looks like the blonde chad guy from the meme

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Rocket the Whiner Surgeon.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Frank Hardslab, Fierce Tempered Martial Artist

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game is fun as hell.

Robe
Bandit
Explorer

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oh finally an LP of this game!

Voltic, Practical Megabuff

As for appearance I would prefer something that gives off the most Florida Man vibes as possible.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Leraika
Nurturing
Gun Collector
appearancewise: some sort of lady

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

I've got 60+ places on the roster still so sign up! I have to run errands this afternoon but I hope to record tonight.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Soda
BESERK and Big bruiser

in Honnor of this guy

Make him look like that too if you can. Thanks

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Horseboy
Frantic Whiner
Friend of Dog
No hair, but otherwise go nuts.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Megane
Oblivious, Health Care
Randomize me captain

But maybe have dumb anime hair so I can impress that one guy

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I might be free for co-commentating at some point. I'm not sure when I'll be available over the weekend or the next weekend but I can let you know when I know. I live in the UK so time-zones will be a factor, I have another week of holiday from work but child-care is still a factor throughout it. If our schedules match up at some point then I'll be up for it.

I haven't played DRTC since the end of June last year but I put about 15 hours into it. I haven't done any co-commentary in about 5 years so I'll be rusty at both ends.

I think that you mentioned Discord. I haven't used it a lot but you can add me if you want: Rocket Baby Dolls#8790

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/rocketbabydolls/

I also have Skype and Audacity installed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
anilEhilated
Perk: Gungineer
Visual: Glasses would be nice.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 10, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

This means Nori and Megane are first up to get horribly mangled journey to Canada!

Let's Play Death Road to Canada - #1 - Discombobulated Inferno

Let's have a zombie-whacking, lip-smacking good time!

(Seriously I'm dying here I'm quiet and lispy and boring.)

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 10, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Rocket, sent you a PM.

If any of you old hands have good advice and constructive criticism, feel free to post. I'm LPing like it's 2007 and it's kinda freeing. No gods, no masters.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Larry Hamfists looks awesome, exactly as sketchy as I imagined him.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Cool it!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SAY IT DON’T SPRAY IT!!!

e: I died as I lived: confused and on fire.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 11, 2020

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Got mixed feelings about Mr. Notazombie (who is most definitely not a zombie wearing a mask) not getting taken along. On the one hand, we don't get to see him in action yet. On the other, things ended poorly for the first team.

Ah well, we'll just have to see if future teams (including the one that gets to have the not-zombie as a member) have better luck.

Incidentally, are there any rules regarding multiple submissions from the same user in this LP?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

CptWedgie posted:

Got mixed feelings about Mr. Notazombie (who is most definitely not a zombie wearing a mask) not getting taken along. On the one hand, we don't get to see him in action yet. On the other, things ended poorly for the first team.

Ah well, we'll just have to see if future teams (including the one that gets to have the not-zombie as a member) have better luck.

Incidentally, are there any rules regarding multiple submissions from the same user in this LP?

Things are probably going to end poorly for a lot of teams. I'm too used to playing The binding of Isaac on my controller and I either need to learn the preset button layout or change it to what I'm trying to press in game. I'm surprised we had four people for so long. Usually around day six or seven I lose somebody. Or the entire group. :v:

Multiple submissions are okay. For now let's wait until the list gets shorter, that way people have a chance for their first character to show up.

We also have ZOMBO POINTS to spend. When I'm not at work, I'll post about how that works and entertain suggestions on how best to use our two (three?) points.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can't believe you abandoned me for a Walking Dead meme :(

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Black Robe posted:

You survived to fight another day though. :unsmith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Robe posted:

I can't believe dick dimes didn't find corl

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
We do have our passports, right? South Park Stick of Truth taught me that's the only way for non-Canadians to actually get into Canada.

Speaking of which, here's a character based on my favorite character from that game.

Name: The Canadian Guard (this is what he calls himself, and he won't reveal his real name)
Trait- Irritating- he constantly bugs other party members to make sure they have their passports, otherwise they won't be able to encounter Canada, and worries they may encounter dire zombies (like zombies, only dire!).
Perk- Ultrafit

Dresses like a Canadian Mountie or as close as the game can make it. Refuses to say anything about his past or why he's outside Canada. I expect the party to ditch him sooner or later, but keep him around if you want.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 12, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

ZOMBO POINTS SCREENSHOT UPDATE

If you pick "unlocks" on the start screen, it'll dump you here with two random characters. The red robot shows the credits and the version number. The bird links to Rocketcat and Madgarden's social media pages. You get up to fifteen ZOMBO POINTS for following their pages. As I can only have ten points banked right now, this pushes me to eighteen points, and the game reminds me to spend them back to ten or else I lose them.

Off to the Perks & Traits shop!

The Last Bodybuilder increases physical perks, the Doctor unlocks new traits, the Debutante ups mental and social perks, and Rambeaux adds to weapon and shooting perks. All the traits and perks start at one and each trait and perk can be leveled up to three, spending that number of ZOMBO POINTS per level. Unfortunately, you can only choose from three options per trait/perk person and can't see new options until the current options are all leveled up. (Unless someone knows the method to the madness, in which case, please tell!)

I unlock City Seeker from the Doctor and use the Debutante to increase Friend of Dog and Health Care to level 2 so I can get my POINTS total under ten.

Over in the More Info booth...

...the blue robot shows off my all-time stats, the Mad Scientist lets me replay the tutorial, and the Data Deletion Dingus nukes your save files, unlocks, and custom characters.

Well, that about wraps it up. I still have nine ZOMBO POINTS to spend and could use some suggestions on future purchases. We could--

--wait, what's this?

(pretend I didn't miss the giant rodent hanging out next to the Perks & Traits shop)

Unomey the Unlock Gnome offers purchasable bonuses for future runs, starting with extra ZOMBO POINTS earned, increasing the POINTS cap and adding a camp trader that deals only in POINTS.

That should be everything. If you have any suggestions on how to spend or save our ZOMBO POINTS, post about it!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Yams and Horseboy, you're next up on Show Us Your Entrails! Let's Go to Canada!

Let's Play Death Road to Canada - #2 - The Get-Along Gang We're Not

This is what happens when you travel with a carload of jerks.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Personally, I'm all for earning as much as possible as soon as possible.

Since you're probably gonna earn more than one ZP in your next run, it'd be a bad idea to say "save up for the capacity upgrade," so instead I'll say buy Extra ZP 1 and bank the rest.

edit: ...and ninja'd by the next run. Figures. If that put you at 10 (haven't watched yet), go for the capacity instead.

edit2: Wow, you got a terrible team. Not one but TWO character ejection events?! I feel sorry for Yams.

Also, maybe you should've checked your combat strategy after the arcade machine; that would probably be why your partners ran headlong into the hordes.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 12, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Fun Polybius facts!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I request you honk the car horn more :v:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

:arghfist::mad: Yaaams! Well, that's what you get for wrongful accusations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh nice, this game looks fun. if it's not too late to put in a survivor, I'll put one in:

Mister Survival
Warrior/Gungineer
Make him look as much like a crazy survivalist that spent the last 10 years living in a homemade bunker as you can.