Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

I guess my question is who was paying for Mack to sit around, drink beers and put together a shitload of model cars?

Since its an 80s themed episode, I am guessing he bet on various sports like in Back to the Future 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We need a gif of that "You son of a bitch" moment between Mack and Deke. Stat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My only, only complaint is that they dropped the Deke being debriefed by May framing device about halfway through the episode. Things like Mack's awful fake beard would've made a lot more sense if it had been more explicitly Deke's version of events.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

howe_sam posted:

My only, only complaint is that they dropped the Deke being debriefed by May framing device about halfway through the episode. Things like Mack's awful fake beard would've made a lot more sense if it had been more explicitly Deke's version of events.

Yeah that was odd, I can only assume more got cut for time. In the end the debriefing scenes we had didn't really add anything or go anywhere.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I saw them as a in-universe justification for most of the episode being more over-the-top than the show usually is; Deke is retelling events with a little embellishment. It does kind of get undermined by the main story progressing directly into the next story without a cut to the end of the debriefing though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

I guess my question is who was paying for Mack to sit around, drink beers and put together a shitload of model cars?

Deke probably paid off his credit cards or something

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Mack in his parents house?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Slashrat posted:

I saw them as a in-universe justification for most of the episode being more over-the-top than the show usually is; Deke is retelling events with a little embellishment. It does kind of get undermined by the main story progressing directly into the next story without a cut to the end of the debriefing though.

But they did the "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" line. They're both time traveling super spies. The unbelievable thing is that he started a cover band? (since he hadn't gotten to the part of the story where he was training them)

Also the lady's nametag said "R. Glass". Ron Glass shout out?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ApeHawk posted:

When Mack held his hand out I started marking the gently caress out because I knew what was coming and my wife was wondering what the hell was going on

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ApeHawk posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h5UM5M2.mp4

edit: was a little weird on the first one

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 11, 2020

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Rexxed posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h5UM5M2.mp4

edit: was a little weird on the first one

thank you for this!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Pretty ridiculous episode, but I liked it. Defintely got strong "it's the last season, what are ya gonna do? Cancel us?" -vibes.

Mack's fake beard was totally insane.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Someone please explain the thread title to me, I didn't really get the joke/reference the first time.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The most unbelievable thing to me is that a former Silicon Valley guru didn’t know what cocaine was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Someone please explain the thread title to me, I didn't really get the joke/reference the first time.
I'd appreciate this too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally I just thought it was a funny line.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm pretty sure I'm currently in a coma since my car accident since 2014 (lot of weird things happened since then). Since all of this awesomeness is in my imagination I really just want a crossover between AoS and Legends of Tomorrow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm currently in a coma since my car accident since 2014 (lot of weird things happened since then). Since all of this awesomeness is in my imagination I really just want a crossover between AoS and Legends of Tomorrow.

Has anyone seen John?

Hey where's Daisy?

*everyone looks at the closet that's making noise*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Has anyone seen John?

Hey where's Daisy?

*everyone looks at the closet that's making noise*

Constantine: *staggers out* THERE'S A DEMON IN THE CLOSET
Sarah: What you two do in your personal time is YOUR business.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Everything about that episode was perfect. The only time I've ever seen memberberries done right

Who played the R. Glass lady? She looked familiar.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

Everything about that episode was perfect. The only time I've ever seen memberberries done right

IMDB says Tipper Newton:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1997169/?ref_=tt_cl_t11

I don't think I've seen any of her other work but there's a good amount of it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

FogHelmut posted:

She had a strong Fairuza Balk vibe

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah it was probably the haircut.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

While I wait for my local library to get me the Dollhouse DVDs I started rewatching AoS and I guess I will never understand why some people think this show started out slow or that the majority of the first season is skippable. Also the budget for season 1 definitely seems better than the later seasons, SHIELD has all kinds of crazy gadgets requiring VFX that seem to just disappear from the show. And yeah I kinda miss Ward???

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I binged the first two seasons after they came out, and yeah, the show didn't seem as slow as what people were describing when it was airing live. I think where that comes from is that when it was airing week to week, there were multiple nearly month-long gaps between episodes. I checked the air dates, and there's 28 weeks between the beginning of the series and episode 17, "Turn, Turn, Turn."

For people watching the series as it aired, there was a not insignificant chance you'd sit down to watch it at its normal timeslot and see a rerun. The worst gap is from episode 12 to episode 14.

12 - January 14, 2014
13 - February 4, 2014
14 - March 4, 2014

I can't blame anyone for calling this show slow when they were only getting one episode a month before "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Agents of SHIELD didn’t start slow, it just started...conventionally. ABC hyped it up as a TV extension of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and then what we got seemed a lot more like a bog standard TV procedural with occasional MCU flavouring. It wasn’t a bad show, it just wasn’t anything outstanding. And, in retrospect, that was entirely intentional. The show was deliberately lulling its audience into feeling like it was a typical TV show before subverting most of that in “Turn, Turn, Turn”. Unfortunately, their ruse worked a bit too well for some folks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Doggles posted:

I binged the first two seasons after they came out, and yeah, the show didn't seem as slow as what people were describing when it was airing live. I think where that comes from is that when it was airing week to week, there were multiple nearly month-long gaps between episodes. I checked the air dates, and there's 28 weeks between the beginning of the series and episode 17, "Turn, Turn, Turn."

For people watching the series as it aired, there was a not insignificant chance you'd sit down to watch it at its normal timeslot and see a rerun. The worst gap is from episode 12 to episode 14.

12 - January 14, 2014
13 - February 4, 2014
14 - March 4, 2014

I can't blame anyone for calling this show slow when they were only getting one episode a month before "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Ah, yeah, I can understand that then. I started watching it during season 2 and got to watch all of the first season on Netflix so I did not experience that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also the rookie agents (Skye, Fitz, Simmons) were kind of annoying early on. Less "fresh and untested" and more "childish and immature".

They got better though. And then they just kept on getting better.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Sirotan posted:

And yeah I kinda miss Ward???
I'm sure we'll see him again before this is all over.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also Pre-Crazy Ward was the dullest agent ever.

Then we got context to it and he became the best.

I remember seeing this and thinking "this would've been the wooorst news in S1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3vUvsy3qI

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

So they’re just leaving Vijay at the bottom of the ocean huh?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Senerio posted:

Also Pre-Crazy Ward was the dullest agent ever.

Then we got context to it and he became the best.

I remember seeing this and thinking "this would've been the wooorst news in S1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3vUvsy3qI

What if they tip off Victoria Hand that she should be the one to recruit Ward instead of John Garrett, and they get back to the future with Ward having always been a good guy

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Skye was the woooorst.
Daisy/Quake is marginally better but she's not a character that appeals to me sooooo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Argue posted:

What if they tip off Victoria Hand that she should be the one to recruit Ward instead of John Garrett, and they get back to the future with Ward having always been a good guy

I love Skye and also I really really really really really hope this happens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really hope by the end of the season they've just said gently caress it to the whole ripples not waves idea and are all

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Edmund Lava posted:

So they’re just leaving Vijay at the bottom of the ocean huh?

And where is Flint?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

swickles posted:

And where is Flint?

And don’t forget that ice kid!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe that Malick hoser isn't dead.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Made it to Turn, Turn, Turn in my rewatch and man, I wish I could watch this again with fresh eyes. I realize now I picked up this show sometime in the first season, and managed to catch Winter Soldier in theaters before watching this ep the first time around. Bill Paxton is so great, and it really feels like the cast has gelled by this point. If they don't bring Ward back sometime this season I'm going to be so disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe that Malick hoser isn't dead.

I totally can. That was as Disney/comicbook death as you could get.