Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

list updated, almost to 20 candidates to replace Alex soon we need to setup a really stupid poll for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Well if we're voting, I think I could pull it off.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jack2142 posted:

So Far the Suggestions are to replace Alex are...

David loving Strathairn.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
the bald guy from the brazzers
guy is up to any loving task

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 10, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

David loving Strathairn.

Roger Cross

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

I got drunk at a party with this guy and I had no loving idea, even as I was rambling on about the BSG fangame. Goddamn I must have sounded like such a moron.

Replace actor with Fat Lee.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pilot? Check
Fat? Check

Fat Lee is my vote

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They should have a different one of these suggestions every episode, and then have the pilot spontaneously combust or suffer a bizarre (Prax panel) gardening accident at the end of the episode.

"Stampy Chewbacca...now he died in a bizarre Prax panel accident.

...It was one of those things best left unsolved really."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 10, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Baronjutter posted:

Prax is actually quite an accomplished pilot

Holy poo poo, Prax was Chuckles?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All this BSG chat reminds me of the Resurrection Ship 2 parter and how loving GOOD that cliff-hanger was.

I'm getting my men. I'm pretty sure my jaw was on the floor watching the guns on Pegasus and Galactica turn on each other with Vipers coming out of the tubes.

The wait due to the Writer's strike was terrible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a cool think about The Expanse is that humans have learned to wear their undershirts UNDER their shirts.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If we get to 32 choices we can do a bracket.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

I think a cool think about The Expanse is that humans have learned to wear their undershirts UNDER their shirts.

That drove me nuts for all of BSG. Why did they think that was a good look?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

twistedmentat posted:

That drove me nuts for all of BSG. Why did they think that was a good look?

A E S T H E T I C

For the miniseries they had to cut corners, so they cut the corners off of everything as a joke. Then the show was picked up and they had to spend time cutting corners off every book used for the rest of the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MA-Horus posted:

All this BSG chat reminds me of the Resurrection Ship 2 parter and how loving GOOD that cliff-hanger was.

I'm getting my men. I'm pretty sure my jaw was on the floor watching the guns on Pegasus and Galactica turn on each other with Vipers coming out of the tubes.

The wait due to the Writer's strike was terrible.

That show still has some of the best special effects put to television!

It looks as good or better than many shows recently or currently airing, even being 17 years old. There is a part of my brain that thinks it looks better than The Expanse because the modern effects have too much detail.
:popeye:

RDM also helped to mainstream podcasting/director commentary as praxis. He would release it free, every week as the show aired. A great companion at the beginning of the DVR era!

etalian posted:

Replace actor with Fat Lee.

O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN :patriot:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Well the list now stands at 24, we need 8 more suggestions before we can do an incredibly stupid march madness bracket to replace Alex on the Expanse.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That show still has some of the best special effects put to television!

It looks as good or better than many shows recently or currently airing, even being 17 years old. There is a part of my brain that thinks it looks better than The Expanse because the modern effects have too much detail.
:popeye:

RDM also helped to mainstream podcasting/director commentary as praxis. He would release it free, every week as the show aired. A great companion at the beginning of the DVR era!

Bear McCreary's score for the series also seriously upped the ante for original music in television. I don't know if there's ever been anything quite as well done in that department since.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Well the list now stands at 24, we need 8 more suggestions before we can do an incredibly stupid march madness bracket to replace Alex on the Expanse.

Wil Wheaton as early TNG Wesley Crusher, complete with so 90's it hurts gray uniform, snotty nerd attitude, and writers who have no idea what to do with him.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I mean, let's be real here. Alex isn't exactly an important character. "Guy that flies the ship and makes silly shaped lasagna" isn't foundational to the plot character writing.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps he becomes more interesting? But it seems like a very easy character to get rid of.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just have his character be off screen all the time and let Lin Manuel Miranda do his voice with the Texas accent.

Got it, Hoss!

Donkey balls

I'm not throwing away my shot

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

LMM also sucks poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's really bad in His Dark Materials

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

rndmnmbr posted:

Wil Wheaton as early TNG Wesley Crusher, complete with so 90's it hurts gray uniform, snotty nerd attitude, and writers who have no idea what to do with him.

26. Katee Sackhoff, as a dishonored martian pilot, loves to say 'nothing but the rain' at every silent moment
27. Any random sci-fi youtuber that look better than a potato

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Paul Reubens doing the Max character from "Flight of the Navigator"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jack2142 posted:

Boomer/Athena were decent enough pilots, replace Alex with Grace Park.

Amanda Tapping, still playing Sam Carter.

Robert Picardo as Emergency Piloting Hologram.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Killjoys wrapped up so Johnny Jaqobis is looking for a new ship to pilot :colbert:

the Rossi's not nearly as fun to banter with though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Grant Bowler, last seen flying into the unknown

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

What's Mark Shepard doing these days? He's become a genre legend.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately unless Amazon decides to reshoot season 5, we have to put up with Alex through season 5. Honestly I don't think they'll recast. They'll probably kill Alex off or have him retire or something.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

nuSulu

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Paul Reubens doing the Max character from "Flight of the Navigator"

Paul Reubens doing the pilot from Star Tours

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Prax is actually quite an accomplished pilot

Isn't he the first nugget to die?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Recast him with the guy who played Arjun in season 1, for maximum confusion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CPColin posted:

Paul Reubens doing the pilot from Star Tours

Well holy poo poo that was him

God drat Star Tours was well done, especially for the 80s

(the Star Trek Experience riff on it was equally amazing though)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Given Amazon's involvement, Alex is now Alexa, a black cylinder which responds to voice commands from the crew to pilot the ship. Order your special Exclusive Expanse Alexa today for $199.99.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Honestly if I could get Alexa to speak in Belter creole I'd totally be into that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sankara posted:

I mean, let's be real here. Alex isn't exactly an important character. "Guy that flies the ship and makes silly shaped lasagna" isn't foundational to the plot character writing.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps he becomes more interesting? But it seems like a very easy character to get rid of.
Alex is also undeveloped in the books. His storyline after book 5 is solipsistic and has zero impact on the plot and the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There's not a lot of drama to his character and that's fine. He's a chill nice dude who likes flying ships. I really like him as a character.

But yeah, he's not important to the "plot" like Hoden or Naomi, and he doesn't have an interesting personal story like Amos or Bobby (who's clearly a main character even if she's not on the crew). Alex is the most droppable main cast member. But it's a shame. He was a good grounding character as just a pretty normal kind of guy who happens to be friends with these other folks.