Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://theplaylist.net/dune-sneak-peek-inception-re-release-20200616/

We have wormsign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you show footage to an empty theater does it count as a sneak peek?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

But I want it noooooow!!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised how much funnier it would have been if people shouted "WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRMMMMM!" instead.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Worm ho! Worm hoooooo!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Lmao who is going to go to a theatre to see Inception again right now?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Man not only does Nolan want Tenet out ASAP but Inception is gonna hit the theatres again as well? I guess he did live long enough to become a villain

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

the_enduser posted:

Lmao who is going to go to a theatre to see Inception again right now?

Depending on how much spice I imbibe, I may go just for D U N C and skip the rest. My full stillsuit cosplay should protect me from the covid, inshallah.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I mean Inception is a pretty fun theater experience, but a very strange plan since I'm guessing most people are still not willing to risk going to the movies, let alone to see a movie that came out ten years ago.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I just saw that in the UK theatres are opening July 4 but a lot of new releases won't be coming until late July, so they're going to be showing a bunch of classics. Disney announced in particular that they're showing a 4K print of The Empire Strikes Back in theatres for the first time I think since the Special Edition release.

I'd be seriously tempted to go except I'm leaving the country for July, so I won't have the agony of that choice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I mean Inception is a pretty fun theater experience, but a very strange plan since I'm guessing most people are still not willing to risk going to the movies, let alone to see a movie that came out ten years ago.

They're going to look at the box office receipts and immediately delay Tenet again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If this was a normal situation then I would absolutely be willing to pay to see Inception on the big screen again. It's a movie that absolutely benefits from being seen that way. But no way I'm going to a theater any time soon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PeterWeller posted:

He says the new worms will have more ganglia and "awareness" and also talks about how they'll contain a "pearl" of his consciousness, which seems borne out by Sheeana's relation with them in Heretics, so I think it's meant to be something more than animal intelligence.

I've been listening to the audiobook so can't go back to check easily, but I think the phrase "animal intelligence" was a direct quote

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Leto II awareness inside the worms is mostly dormant. Only Sheeana (and maybe later the B.G.) can talk to the Leto part.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've been listening to the audiobook so can't go back to check easily, but I think the phrase "animal intelligence" was a direct quote

Huh, it could be. I didn't see it when I skimmed, but that doesn't mean anything.

phasmid posted:

The Leto II awareness inside the worms is mostly dormant. Only Sheeana (and maybe later the B.G.) can talk to the Leto part.

I'm not sure if dormant is the right word for it. They only respond to Sheeana, but the reasons for that are unclear. And somewhere Leto II likens that fate to a sort of eternal hell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Also I think I said it before but I'm like 97% certain that he was a massive juicer back in the day. It would explain just about everything about him and just what the gently caress happened to him.

Nah, he just stopped being young. You can have bad habits and be a bit lazy when you're 36. you can't get away with it as you get older, especially if, like Seagal, you absolutely believe your own bullshit, including the stuff that got made up to sell you as an action star. I don't know what it is about Aikido, but it attracts shitloads of douchebags. It's a pretty chill martial art, and it's really only a martial art the way golf is a sport. I did for about a year as a kid. There's plenty of people there who are just nice and like doing very low impact training in a friendly environment. Every class, though, has a bunch of dudes who are either way too into the spritual side (often in a really stupid, condescending way) or people who just really want to hurt people, including training partners. Seagal is in both those categories. I met fewer assholes doing boxing and jiujitsu than i ever did in aikido. I think anything involving joint locking is going to attract some lovely people for at least a couple of reasons.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

whens that trailer comin

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Class Warcraft posted:

Not gonna lie, the gasp I heard in the theater on day 1 of
Inception was probably my favorite cinema moment ever. Ain’t gonna go back to see a 10 year old movie when I can watch it in 4K at home though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not much to go on, but because news is scarce here's some heartening thoughts about Dune's cinematography being influenced significantly by Deakins even if he wasn't the DP.

e: And assuming you're talking about the ending of Inception, "gasp" does not accurately convey what happened in my theater. It was more like a collective groan with a few people yelling out "Come on!" But in a good way.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Show us the goddamn worm already.

Serpente
Dec 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDY0DfEjmo

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It would be so funny if dunc was justy memoryholed after all this. Left as one of the references in the "final days" section of the Cinema article on wikipedia.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

Its unsettling at in the end of Dune everyone in House Atreides compares Paul to his grandfather, not to Leto. You get the idea Paul's grandfather was not a good dude. Plus the double comparison with Paul's OTHER grandfather...

Imma spend some time re-reading them, when does this happen? Like post killing Sting or when hes just running Taliban across Dune?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Definitely a few times in book 3. Probably gurney and someone else, all internal monologue

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ingmar terdman posted:

Blasted through the first book and Messiah just came in the mail today

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Herbert's quote about that -- "No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero" -- was always the theme of the series to me. He spent Dune building up Paul, the Atreides, and the Fremen, and then spent the next three books breaking them down and showing just how terrible heroes and their followers can be even when their intentions are good. I get that the first novel is a perfect hero's journey and I get why people loved it, but I also get why a lot of the same audience bounced hard off the rest of Frank Herbert's part of the series. All the unpalatable reasons are what make it unique and good but they're also why it's so unlikely that we'll see anything past the first book.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's also a group of eugenist finishing school witches that basically propagate Joseph Campbell to the unwashed masses. I agree the first book has a fairly standard hero's journey but Frank isn't shy about pulling the curtain back on it along the way

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's also a group of eugenist finishing school witches that basically propagate Joseph Campbell to the unwashed masses. I agree the first book has a fairly standard hero's journey but Frank isn't shy about pulling the curtain back on it along the way

Oh for sure, not at all disagreeing. Herbert alludes to things going extremely uncool with the hero's journey using the chapter epigraphs/epigrams, and then makes things go worse by degrees until everyone's celebrating the start of a galactic jihad heading to billions of deaths. I think the book was popular despite Herbert pulling the curtain back and not because of it, but I think the series has weight and longevity for the opposite reason.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm re-reading The Dosadi Experiment and so far it's living up to my memories of it being extremely dense (but short!). It feels like a tangent on the evolution of the Sardukar (none of Frank's books get into much detail about Salusa Secundus, do they?). This time around I've also read The Whipping Star which helps with some of the references to alien species & tech, but that book had a pretty goofy antagonist. This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

david_a posted:

This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

I'd recommend any Dune fan read his The Godmakers. It's starts as generic "gee whiz" scifi sorta halfway between Asimov and Jack Vance and segues into proto-Dune around midway through. It ain't his finest work by any stretch, but it's fascinating on a level of "oh, that's how he developed this idea!"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Definitely a few times in book 3. Probably gurney and someone else, all internal monologue

The little snippets of side-characters reacting to the slowly-unfolding disaster that is Paul, and all their little meditations, are some of my favourite bits in the whole series. Stuff like Stilgar's anxiety at the start of Children about how he could totally kill Leto and Ghanima in their beds, the Fremen warrior's tale about seeing a sea for the first time, it's all great stuff. Especially in the later books, where we get stuff like Odrade having no way to figure out if current events are part of Leto's Golden Path, or if things have gone way off the rails

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

david_a posted:

This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

I remember enjoying Destination: Void/The Jesus Incident and Hellstrom's Hive, but I haven't read them in probably 20 years or so, so maybe my memory is distorting them.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Gaj posted:

Imma spend some time re-reading them, when does this happen? Like post killing Sting or when hes just running Taliban across Dune?

It starts before the duel with Sting iirc.

Page 770 in my edition:

"Am I my father's son?" Paul asked.

"More like your grandfather's," Hawat rasped.
"You've his manner and the look of him in your eyes."

The comparison is made a few more times around that part.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So uhh what happened to that footage with inception?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Koirhor posted:

So uhh what happened to that footage with inception?

I thought the footage was gonna be with Tenet, which didn’t make its release? Still supposed to get something at the end of the week from the online Comic-Con thing, I think?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bugblatter posted:

I thought the footage was gonna be with Tenet, which didn’t make its release? Still supposed to get something at the end of the week from the online Comic-Con thing, I think?

SDCC@Home is over now, though. Its last day was yesterday.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And we got so much cool entertainment news out of it, like

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A ton of trailers came out Friday, but nothing for DUNC.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

SDCC@Home is over now, though. Its last day was yesterday.

Ah, whoops. Apparently Warner Bros mostly sat SDCC out in favor of doing their own event on August 22nd. Maybe then?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Studios are sloooowly starting to realise that movies aren’t going to be a thing this year at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

david_a posted:

I'm re-reading The Dosadi Experiment and so far it's living up to my memories of it being extremely dense (but short!). It feels like a tangent on the evolution of the Sardukar (none of Frank's books get into much detail about Salusa Secundus, do they?). This time around I've also read The Whipping Star which helps with some of the references to alien species & tech, but that book had a pretty goofy antagonist. This seems to be one of his better regarded non-Dune books; are there others that people would recommend?

I'll second Hellstrom's Hive. It's a form of 70's-style dystopian ecological sci-fi. I'll also second The Godmakers. Between the Godmakers and The Dosadi Experimment, you can see Herbert playing with major building blocks of Dune.

The Heaven Makers is ok.... kind of goofy. I liked Soul Catcher, which is a different kind of novel for Herbert. I recommend it. On the other hand, I've tried twice to get into the Santaroga Barrier and have been unable to do so.