Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't know why but I find Regulus creepier and more hatable than Batenkaitos. (And Batenkaitos is pretty bad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Natural 20 posted:

Spoilers for stuff you can only see by going frame by frame through episode 1 of season 2.

I'm not crying.

You're crying.

Forgot one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know why but I find Regulus creepier and more hatable than Batenkaitos. (And Batenkaitos is pretty bad.)

oh yeah, regulus sucks, not least because he's the most over the top parody of an ancap.

keeps yelling about the NAP

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is hecking me up. that cry of frustration hurt

Annointed fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 9, 2020

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I know it's gonna be a good season when I teared up a few times in the first episode. :unsmith:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Wrong thread?

So wife and I are watching the directors cut of s1 after watching s1 maybe 3 years ago.

Just finished 8(15?) Holy poo poo the last 5 minutes of that episode is still bonkers. I think it's maybe my favorite ending to an episode of anime ever. Maybe just the best sequence ever.

Just a full body experience.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Confession: This twist was one of the first things I learned about this series (when episode 15 aired and i could no longer ignore it). I have awaited this moment for four years straight.

What a wild ride it's been so far. This feels amazing. Strap in comrades we're finally here. :yaycloud:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 9, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

A nice light hearted episode to start the season.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And that was only basically the epilogue of Arc 3.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I assume Subaru remembers the forgotten because he's outside of the normal flow of time?

Why does Puck?

Puck doesn't remember Rem I think, he just knows about Gluttony's powers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So no one's gonna ask why only this one guy remembers the girl?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

Everyone just kind of accepts that Subaru is super weird and seems to know a ton of random things that he really shouldn't know. Either that or they might just think he's delusional, which given his actions in the "true" timeline, not exactly a far-out idea.

Watching that one edit with all the failed timelines cut out gives you a much better look at how everyone looks at Subaru, ie a complete nutjob that somehow manages to be right about the strangest things.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spanish Matlock posted:

Subaru has shown himself to have unusual knowledge several times at this point, especially during the fight against Betelgeuse and the White Whale, and he's only ever used that knowledge for good.

At some point you just kind of shut off any disbelief and accept this weird random guy with an unusual name is truthful even if nothing he says really makes much sense.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As much as this sucks, after learning the "who's Rem" spoiler sometime in the years between seasons I had assumed she had been eaten by the Whale and was irretrievably gone*, whereas with this Gluttony thing I have some hope she and the other victims could be restored. (not sure how much hope, but some)

*I don't know if this would even have been possible with the way the events really play out, but didn't re-watch to confirm one way or the other

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

a kitten posted:

As much as this sucks, after learning the "who's Rem" spoiler sometime in the years between seasons I had assumed she had been eaten by the Whale and was irretrievably gone*, whereas with this Gluttony thing I have some hope she and the other victims could be restored. (not sure how much hope, but some)

*I don't know if this would even have been possible with the way the events really play out, but didn't re-watch to confirm one way or the other

Yeah, it seems like Knife Boy's power is "just" editing the memories of everyone on the planet. Which is an improvement over season 1 where I was assuming people eaten by the whale were retroactively removed from history or something.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
So much good Felix content... That heart wrenching cry! I am officially caught up, and now having been caught up I just realized I was spoiled to this twist and didn't notice really until the reveal, which undercut some of the shock.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grouchio posted:

I have awaited this moment for four years straight.

We noticed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AnoHito posted:

Everyone just kind of accepts that Subaru is super weird and seems to know a ton of random things that he really shouldn't know. Either that or they might just think he's delusional, which given his actions in the "true" timeline, not exactly a far-out idea.

Yeah, someone in this arc actually directly comments on how Subaru is perceived* (which is something we don't get a good sense for as the audience, since we only see things from Subaru's perspective including all the re-runs).

* no idea if that specific dialogue will make it into this season; I can't remember if it took place during an "important conversation" or not

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dzhay posted:

Yeah, it seems like Knife Boy's power is "just" editing the memories of everyone on the planet. Which is an improvement over season 1 where I was assuming people eaten by the whale were retroactively removed from history or something.

Well it also sends you into a coma. So it's a bit worse than that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i like to interpret it as the whale also works with the same mechanics of name and memories, except the whale also physically consumes you so your body isn't there anymore either.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it also sends you into a coma. So it's a bit worse than that.

From Puck's description it sounded like there are two different effects he can cause, in Rem's case he did both.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Paracelsus posted:

From Puck's description it sounded like there are two different effects he can cause, in Rem's case he did both.

Yeah, if he eats your memory like he did to Crusch you lose your memories, if he eats your name everyone else forgets you, if he does both you also fall into a coma.

I am guessing he has to actually know the persons name to eat it which is why he got Rem to say her name.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Looking forward to Subs running into the new bishops. Curious to see how they interpret his witch-stank. Sloth was certain he was Pride. That's a very peculiar "mistake" to make. Putting that in quotes because I'm not certain of anything at all at this point.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I guess too cocky to die? But idk I feel like that’s a stretch.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mindblast posted:

Looking forward to Subs running into the new bishops. Curious to see how they interpret his witch-stank. Sloth was certain he was Pride. That's a very peculiar "mistake" to make. Putting that in quotes because I'm not certain of anything at all at this point.
*Alternate Timeline Spoils* :siren:

In an alternate timeline where he doesn't bump into Reinhard until he has died 88 times, he goes yandere and eventually winds up as the new Archbishop of Pride, killing all other bishops and candidates besides emilia over the course of thousands of loops.

Subaru being Pride wasn't a mistake. He was the rightful candidate to become the Pride Archbishop.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 11, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think you need to post spoilers to each time someone speculates. We know you are excited but you need to slow down.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't see any reason to believe Subaru is not Pride. I mean we still have no idea why he isakai-ed in the first place, he has a crazy power, everyone keeps identifying him as a witch cult member, and his whole character arc revolved around him being prideful.

Subaru could just be very lucky, where possibly the witch usually converts people instantly into being devotees, but Pride seems like a unique flaw that might make one immune to any kind of subconscious influence.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know you are excited but you need to slow down.

This, please.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no doubts Subaru is Pride. I have a lot of doubts over why and how Subaru is Pride. Unlike the rest of the Witch Cultists, he has absolutely no idea of his role or of how he got into it in the first place, he was seemingly dragged in by Satella despite not being devoted to her or even knowing of her existence, much less of her cult.

His connection to Satella, his dark magic, his ability to nullify the traits of the other sins (being able to see the Unseen Hand and being able to remember those erased from history by Gluttony), and Return by Death all indicate that Betelgeuse was not wrong, even if he lacked a lot of information that Subaru himself, and the audience, lacks.

It makes for a very compelling mystery, which, as far as we know, no one other than a character who doesn't even seem to physically exist can answer as of now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Blaze Dragon posted:

It makes for a very compelling mystery, which, as far as we know, no one other than a character who doesn't even seem to physically exist can answer as of now.

Yeah, one thing this series is very good at is having a lot of different mysteries (and continually introducing new ones) while still doling out answers frequently enough that you feel like "progress" is being made.

I think I mentioned before in this thread that the only thing I dislike about Re:Zero is its romance elements; everything else (setting, characters, the specific action/events that take place) is unusually good for the genre.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

*Alternate Timeline Spoils* :siren:

In an alternate timeline where he doesn't bump into Reinhard until he has died 88 times, he goes yandere and eventually winds up as the new Archbishop of Pride, killing all other bishops and candidates besides emilia over the course of thousands of loops.

Subaru being Pride wasn't a mistake. He was the rightful candidate to become the Pride Archbishop.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think you need to post spoilers to each time someone speculates. We know you are excited but you need to slow down.

This Grouchio. People who have patiently waited years for the season want to be able to respond in this thread without getting spoiled on things, and you have had a really bad track record of not being able to control yourself when it comes to accidentally spoiling things for others, whether they be unmarked spoilers or not properly indicating what you are putting behind spoiler bars.

Infact I'm going to suggest that you don't post spoilers at all in this thread, unless there is a specific difference between the anime and the light novel/web novel, in which case you should mark in spoilers that you are talking about wn/ln differences. Thanks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no doubts Subaru is Pride. I have a lot of doubts over why and how Subaru is Pride. Unlike the rest of the Witch Cultists, he has absolutely no idea of his role or of how he got into it in the first place, he was seemingly dragged in by Satella despite not being devoted to her or even knowing of her existence, much less of her cult.

Well, they mention in s1 that the way cultists are recruited is fairly mysterious and mind controly?

Like apparently a book shows up on your doorstep or in the mail and suddenly you've got meetup times and are a full member. I think satella is just waiting for the right time to activate subaru for him to give emilia his ordeal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Julias posted:

This Grouchio. People who have patiently waited years for the season want to be able to respond in this thread without getting spoiled on things, and you have had a really bad track record of not being able to control yourself when it comes to accidentally spoiling things for others, whether they be unmarked spoilers or not properly indicating what you are putting behind spoiler bars.

Infact I'm going to suggest that you don't post spoilers at all in this thread, unless there is a specific difference between the anime and the light novel/web novel, in which case you should mark in spoilers that you are talking about wn/ln differences. Thanks.

One other thing I'd add to this, not for Grouchio specifically but for anyone who has read this season's content, is that indirect things can also serve as spoilers. I've had to stop myself from posting things a few times that don't reveal information, but reveal "whether information will be revealed." So stuff like saying "this will be explained" in response to someone speculating about something is a sort of spoiler. Even something as simple as "a person who has read the future content speculating about something" is a sort of spoiler, because it's effectively stating "this question is not answered during this season's content." There's not really much that can safely be discussed if you've already read ahead, because any discussion by someone who has is going to be at least indirectly revealing some information.

Normally I wouldn't care as much about this sort of thing, but this is an incomplete series that is very heavy on the mysteries, so information as simple as "this will be answered soon" or "this won't be answered soon" can be pretty revealing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Julias posted:

you have had a really bad track record of not being able to control yourself

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Crusch backing the alliance with Emilia despite losing her memory and risking future danger to herself was such a good moment especially as it reminded Felix of how strong she is and why Felix cares for her and is backing her in in the first place.

In my rewatch of the series via the directors cut earlier in the year Crusch and Felix were the two characters who I ending up liking a lot more compared to when I first watched so I'm glad they got more spotlight in this episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How did Crusch get her arm back?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Felix dat gud.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Probably similar to how Felix survived getting nearly gibbed by the point blank bomb in that other failed timeline.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Here's a subbed version of the newest break time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8nMiiU5AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LostRook posted:

Here's a subbed version of the newest break time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8nMiiU5AE

Goddamn those subs are bad. It took some effort to read them.