Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Did some runnin' about for dailies, and actually went and did one of the sheriff missions of the main RDO storyline. Me (at level 230+, I forget), a level 7, another dude that was not more than levle 10.

And a dude with all-gold guns at level 313. :V

(It was the one closest to Valentine, and I wanted to let the thieves get killed, but got outvoted. :smith: Oh well)

Last night also seemed to be 100% massive storm across the entire world - HORF was constantly whining just because of the enormous lightning bolts grounding thirty feet away, grow a pair.. oh wait, she's a mare. Never mind. Rockstar's wonderful programming will take care of that sooner or later, anyway.

Storm did make it awful sporty during multiple wolf attacks, though. Also during the hard run to catch a supply wagon, and two dumbshit NPCs deciding to drive their horses right into my path. Because I have Chungus Grande the max-bonded top-tier Bounty Hunter ride, one dude and his horse died on impact, the other got snippy and got one shot off, and neither HORF nor I took even 20% off our health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Alhazred posted:

It doesn't really make sense to hunt in the endgame though. There is no camp to pimp out or give supplies to. And why would you wait to the end of game to hunt pelts you can make outfit out when you're nearly finished with the game?

Yeah by the time I got to epilogue I was definitely not in the mood for more hunting. I got that out of my system by chapter 4.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn the RDO story campaign is so loving impossible to finish. Takes forever to matchmake, and even worse, you have to wait around forever before the next mission unlocks.

Here's my cool lady:

Here's an old pic of Arthur I never posted:

A little cinematic gore:

And a fun little Epilogue spoiler:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

And a fun little Epilogue spoiler:

The epilogue is drat heartbreaking. Marston gradually stops being an outlaw and starts being a farmer. He reignites his relationship with Abigail. He even tries to be a good father for Jack. And all the while you're playing the epilogue you know that he will ultimately fail and be gunned down.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Although true to the American story he's a lovely farmer who coasts on stolen land and generous credit.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Hey now, Uncle did his best bare minimum

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I follow some agrarian scientists on twitter and occasionally they post historical studies of how crop yields fell when native farmers were chased out or killed and white settlers moved in. In New England maize yields fell 50% after Europeans took over the land.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Leave Uncle alone. His lumbago was getting real bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I follow some agrarian scientists on twitter and occasionally they post historical studies of how crop yields fell when native farmers were chased out or killed and white settlers moved in. In New England maize yields fell 50% after Europeans took over the land.

Reminder that the people who settled Jamestown were so lovely at farming that they resorted to cannibalism and would've died if it the natives hadn't helped them out. Which they surely regretted.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Arglebargle III posted:

One of the primary drivers for westward expansion was that the first settlers of any given american territory were inevitable absolutrly terrible at even the basics of farming. They would move into Kentucky for example grow until all the nutrients in the soil were depleted then move onto Missouri.

The second wave would be the ones who would understand things like "Let your fields lie fallow once every three years" and actually stick around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Alhazred posted:

Reminder that the people who settled Jamestown were so lovely at farming that they resorted to cannibalism and would've died if it the natives hadn't helped them out. Which they surely regretted.
It's also one of the most likely explanations for what happened to the people of Roanoke. After the colony went belly-up, the survivors integrated into a local tribes, who were subsequently reported to have unusual numbers of light-skinned blonde members and people with strangely English-sounding last names as early as 1607.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, did the second sheriff mainquest mission last night (by Macfarlane Ranch). Me, @ 235 or so, and three single-digit-level folks - a couple of who were either very experienced players with a new char, or ridiculously good.

Gonna go do the last one out Tumbleweed way tonight - wasn't doing this stuff at first while I learned the Online ways, then I wasn't really feeling it because of some of the "gently caress you" difficulty Moonshiner missions, and I figured they'd be that nasty. ("Oh hey, you're soloing this? Let's send 15 or so fully-jacked revenooers after you. You got through that? OK, reinforcement phase!")

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

How do they know what crop yields were under the natives?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An excellent question.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Indians told them when they taught the pilgrims how to grow corn during the first Thanksgiving

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mantis42 posted:

How do they know what crop yields were under the natives?
I was curious as well and according to what I've been able to find, early colonists documented what the size of the typical Native settlement in the region was as well as how many 'bushels' of maize they produced per harvest per person, which was apparently 'two to three heaps of drying maize made up to 12 to 20 bushels each.' Then you just have to compare that to similar period sources describing the crop yields of farmers in the region, of which there are presumably enough to drawl historically valid conclusions from.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, the Tumbleweed sheriff RDO mainquest mission wasn't that bad... except apparently the wagon requires different players to be on it to progress. Got by OK at the start with one guy, but then it halted, until I ended up getting on him. Continued, but even with him still on, whenever I got off it stopped.

before I even got my minimum daily in, had a modmenu shitbird decide to try to aggro me into hostility. That failed, so "Hunter" of "Hunter's Posse" went invulnerable/teleporting, killed me a couple times, then I guess they got bored and went directly to ragdoll-launching me into the sky. Swapped servers and that ended that.

Pronghorns in the bus on the east side of Armadillo. Deadeye, target, they flush at the first shot... and one ran vertically about 30 feet up, like a rocket. Wasn't one I'd tagged, unfortunately.

Dear AI pathfinding - if I'm in a wagon, don't try to send me over the busted-rear end narrow footbridge at Stillwater Creek.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was in a swamp near St. Denis trying to collect a wildflower when an explosion blew me off my horse. I didn't see anyone around so I revived my dying horse and tried to make a run for it. There was another explosion and then I was in the western desert on a mountain top with two other players, and then I was dead, supposedly killed by a bow headshot from the one closest to me who did not even have a weapon out.

I logged off.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I was in a swamp near St. Denis trying to collect a wildflower when an explosion blew me off my horse. I didn't see anyone around so I revived my dying horse and tried to make a run for it. There was another explosion and then I was in the western desert on a mountain top with two other players, and then I was dead, supposedly killed by a bow headshot from the one closest to me who did not even have a weapon out.

I logged off.

Welcome to modmenu! Other features include: being set on fire, having dead bodies (human or animal) rain down around you, having live animals (mainly cougars) spawn on you, having fire tornados spawn on you, being ragdolled along the ground or into the sky, having logs added to your character's appearance, having your horse or yourself being frozen into place, being attacked by invulnerable/teleporting/invisible players, finding random treasure chests full of loot (note: if it's not part of a treasure map, avoid - R* has been known to ban for looting these even if you didn't spawn it), and gently caress only knows what else.

If it's repeating through repawns or otherwise making play unplayable, you can always try reconnecting, and see if you get a different server. (Check the playwerlist to see if the names change, this will verify you've gone elsewhere.)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Same problem at GTA Online. They couldn’t be bothered to fix the most basic vulnerabilities and this time they don’t have the excuse of “We didn’t build it from the ground up with online in mind.”

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

And with all that getting progressively worse, folks still don't think invite only servers should be a thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Judging by how much GTA5 still sells, I doubt they'll ever fix it because they can just keep banning the cheaters who'll just turn around and buy the game again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Judging by how much GTA5 still sells, I doubt they'll ever fix it because they can just keep banning the cheaters who'll just turn around and buy the game again.

Maybe that’s what the ps5 version is all about

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Capn Beeb posted:

And with all that getting progressively worse, folks still don't think invite only servers should be a thing.

I don’t necessarily want to play with friends. I want to cause trouble for other players without dealing with cheaters.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Zesty posted:

I don’t necessarily want to play with friends. I want to cause trouble for other players without dealing with cheaters.

This is the correct take. Invite only is anathema to what makes this games online fun

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm playing single player. Should I be paying off my bounties? Is there a way to get rid of them besides paying them off? I don't mind slaughtering bounty hunters mostly, but sometimes I just wanna hunt in peace.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

oh dope posted:

I'm playing single player. Should I be paying off my bounties? Is there a way to get rid of them besides paying them off? I don't mind slaughtering bounty hunters mostly, but sometimes I just wanna hunt in peace.

You'll make the money back. Trust me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morter posted:

You'll make the money back. Trust me.

The only place you spend any money is with the trapper anyways.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Oberst posted:

This is the correct take. Invite only is anathema to what makes this games online fun

Getting ganked while I'm just fishing kind of sucks though.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Defensive Mode: On

Also sometimes negative interactions happen (easily negated via defensive mode) and theres nothing valuable about fishing in online

Oberst fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 15, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Oberst posted:

Also sometimes negative interactions happen (easily negated via defensive mode), also theres nothing valuable about fishing in online

Horse exploded via dynamite/dynamite arrow/explosive ammo
Horse set one fire via molotov/fire arrow/incendiary ammo
Horse exploded via modmenu
Player trampled by horse
Player exploded via modmenu
Player ragdolled via modmenu
Player set on fire via modmenu

Two night back, Defensive mode was verified when I logged in. Fifteen minutes of hunting and herbing later, as I was crouching on a cliff waiting for the cougar spawn I posted previously, and BAM Caracano'd. Happened a few more times when I respawned, and while I was checking to verify that yes, Defensive was on. Modmenu fuckery? Probably.

"Nothing valuable about fishing in online" - just gold from dailies, cash from selling 'em, making food, fiddling the Honor scale... oh, and just plain enjoyment of the game.

Actual creative fuckery - do the critter baits actually function in online? I know down Macfarlane way, I've had camps spawned right next to wolf spawns, and it'd be amusing to seed someone else's camp with a full load of both predator baits while they're cooking/in map/AFK.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

skooma512 posted:

Getting ganked while I'm just fishing kind of sucks though.

Online really sucks and the best parts of it are interactions with other players. If someone wants to interact with you while you're fishing, you go put them into the loving ground.

Check out this build that will improve your "How dare you loving look at me funny" shenanigans.

Zesty posted:

Depends on your aim mode and what you’re doing.

If you’re playing Free Aim, change to assisted aim and play with a controller. You’ll like it a whole lot more. Free aim sessions require you to use Paint It Black or Sniper builds to be viable. It’s awful.

General PVP and Free Roam (pick this one)
- Slow & Steady
- Fool Me Once
- Never Without One
- Iron Lung

The meta is around headshots. Deny them headshots. Be beefy as poo poo. Pistol builds will never ever kill you. Snipers can’t one shot you.

Need to snipe? Change out Fool Me Once for Sharpshooter. But change back when you’re done. Snipers can’t one shot you but you’ll be able to one shot squishies with that build. Fool Me Once will not save you from a sniper. If you’re hit, you should immediately drink a health tonic in cover.

Never Without One will save your life ALL. THE. TIME. And getting your hat shot off procs Fool Me Once.

You can’t lose a fight if you can’t die.

You don’t need sustain cards for a General PVP build. That’s what tonics are for.

If you have a moment, check your opponent’s build in the player list.

Sustain for PVE
- Quite and Inspirations OR A Moment to Recuperate
- Strange Medicine
- Fool Me Once
- Iron Lung

PVE is too easy to worry about a specific build for freeroam content in the open world. So you don’t REALLY need this build. Definitely don't worry about it until after you’ve built the general PvP build above.

A sustain build is so you don’t need to waste any of your tonics and can save them for PVP situations. Use this build for Legendary Bounties or maybe clearing out large NPC camps. Don’t just mindlessly run around in this build where other players can catch you. The general PVP build should be your default build to give you the best chance of winning any fights. You won’t have time to switch once the player is on you.

Strange Medicine is your primary heal. Just keep killing. Use the activated ability only when you’re surprised by a lot of fire at once and after you find cover.

All PVE content sucks in Red Dead Online.

So live for the PVP in the open world. Be ready to fight at a moment’s notice. Pick on anyone that pops up on your radar. Stay in your PVP build 99% of the time. PVE content is too easy to need a PVE build.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The only griefers I've encountered in the last 2-3 months were modders. Explosions/fires/teleports. Defensive mode and fighting back are a waste of time in the face of that.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
okay but what if I wana pvp without a hat? what then smart guy?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Zesty posted:

Online really sucks and the best parts of it are interactions with other players. If someone wants to interact with you while you're fishing, you go put them into the loving ground.

Check out this build that will improve your "How dare you loving look at me funny" shenanigans.

D-mode never seems to stop people messing with me. I never leave it because I'm a carebear who only plays to make number go up.

As much as I bitch and moan about PVP in this game people in general are less aggro than you would expect. I was driving my wagon up to a bridge, someone else was on it and they just moved out of the way to let me pass. :unsmith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

zooted heh posted:

okay but what if I wana pvp without a hat? what then smart guy?

You eat poo poo?

It's like asking what if you want to PVP without guns. Go for it? There are some silly melee builds, but they're only good/funny in very specific situations.

skooma512 posted:

D-mode never seems to stop people messing with me. I never leave it because I'm a carebear who only plays to make number go up.

As much as I bitch and moan about PVP in this game people in general are less aggro than you would expect. I was driving my wagon up to a bridge, someone else was on it and they just moved out of the way to let me pass. :unsmith:

I don't let defensive mode stop me, yeah. I'll just snipe them. Explosive arrows are funny too.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 15, 2020

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm just kidding ya. I've never been in any of these crazy situations goons get themselves into with the online world to even need a hat. The build is good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I get you.

I've recommended the build before to people who are serious about not wearing a hat. Or trot out "What if it gets shot off...? WHAT THEN?!" in all seriousness. You go loving find it and put it back on or just deal for a minute? It got shot off because it blocked a headshot, you dunce. Hats are free to re-equip from your horse instantly. If your fight is lasting this long, you already hosed up.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 15, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My daily challenge streak is still going, and with my chaotic "do whatever you feel like" method I have almost $25 gold and nearly $3k. I think I'm finally ready for the real game: BUY CLOTHES AND ACCESSORIES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You buy the useful stuff with gold already? All the roles and a Black Arabian?