Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tars Tarkas posted:

I live my life a quarter light year at a time

I'm sure that sometime around the release of FF8, people on SA were joking about FF going into space, crossing-over with Star Trek.

Which might just argue for this entire year being a simulation, based on faulty training data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

nonathlon posted:

I'm sure that sometime around the release of FF8, people on SA were joking about FF going into space, crossing-over with Star Trek.

Which might just argue for this entire year being a simulation, based on faulty training data.

People have been joking about the FF movies going to space long before FF8, but I honestly don't believe anyone ever thought it would actually happen until the spin-off movie just decided to go straight sci-fi with Idris Elba.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the fast and furious franchise cannot go into the past because then they'd have to explain why they're not picking up Paul Walker on the way and that will just be a huge bummer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If there's any excuse for a franchise to crossover with Transformers...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If there's any excuse for a franchise to crossover with Transformers...

This year there's a Back To The Future Transformers being released. That's a Universal franchise too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

This year there's a Back To The Future Transformers being released. That's a Universal franchise too.

And they already had a Ghostbusters crossover!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
F&F sonic crossover. After a friendly race they discover robotnik was the orchestrator of all their woes (cuts to flashback retcon montage) and they must all team up to go fast together

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

the fast and furious franchise cannot go into the past because then they'd have to explain why they're not picking up Paul Walker on the way and that will just be a huge bummer

CGI Walker. Problem solved.

Hey, it "worked" for Peter Cushing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean it worked for Paul Walker

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They were supposed to wait until the tenth one to go to space, but I guess going too fast is on brand.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Cross over with Jurassic World instead, so that we get Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Everyone is recast with younger people so we can set it up in Fast and Furious Timeline 2, Film 3, that old Toretto purposefully sabotaged Brian O'Connors romance so as to make sure Alternate Toretto and Alternate Brian can go on more adventures together which causes a falling out thats central to the plot and setting up the next film: Lights on Infinite Check Engine Gauges

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IIRC after the eighth movie, one of the F&F did explicitly say they were considering going into space.

Barudak posted:

"Dom, you can't go use the NOS in space, youll go faster than C! You could end up lost forever somewhere in the past"

"The I guess I'll C you again"

<plays sad song while Dom ends up back in Fast and the Furious 1, setting up a new reboot timeline where he plays an old mentor figure to young Toretto>

This is too good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

Dom meets his long lost brother, Riddick.

Too Fast Too Furian.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cross over with Jurassic World instead, so that we get Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

:grin: "Muscle beats Dino any day..."

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Would Fast 10 be when Dom finally fucks the cars?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now that CG is ubiquitous and the Jurassic Park franchise has turned into a cartoon which may as well be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, can we please get another dinosaur horror franchise going? Ideally something somewhat grounded that downplays the spectacle, because nobody is impressed by a big CG creature anymore.

I'll even take a Carnosaur reboot at this point.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dom rescuing Blue the velociraptor from a big game hunter, who he informs that she's not a pet, she's family, would instantly be the best moment of the Jurassic World franchise.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

Now that CG is ubiquitous and the Jurassic Park franchise has turned into a cartoon which may as well be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, can we please get another dinosaur horror franchise going?
Dino Crisis when?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Dom rescuing Blue the velociraptor from a big game hunter, who he informs that she's not a pet, she's family, would instantly be the best moment of the Jurassic World franchise.
Dude I can't get the image of Luda riding shotgun with a sick rear end Velociraptor who is the Queen of Drift.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You know as soon as Musk launched his car into space the F&F crew were like, there it is, that's our cue.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

Now that CG is ubiquitous and the Jurassic Park franchise has turned into a cartoon which may as well be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, can we please get another dinosaur horror franchise going? Ideally something somewhat grounded that downplays the spectacle, because nobody is impressed by a big CG creature anymore.

I'll even take a Carnosaur reboot at this point.

Obviously after making the Monster Hunter movie, Paul W. S. Anderson should tackle Dino Crisis next.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

F&F sonic crossover. After a friendly race they discover robotnik was the orchestrator of all their woes (cuts to flashback retcon montage) and they must all team up to go fast together

I'd be loving down just for Jim Carrey. Also reminded one character in the otherwise dull Sonic X anime was a cop who drives a F1 car.

Also now I'm picturing Sonic, Transformers or both having space highways for FTL travel. Bonus Mario Kart AND Norse tie-ins to make them Rainbow Road.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they already had a Ghostbusters crossover!

Gozer the Gozerian, we may not be gods, but we are more powerful than that. We're family!

::attaches NOS to proton packs::

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Dino Crisis when?

I would ADORE a Turok movie based on the original comics. Though I don't think it would ever happen because the video games have so much more cultural cache with modern audiences. But the original comics didn't have all that time travel nonsense or guns or anything—it was about two pre-contact Native Americans who got trapped in a valley filled with a lost world of dinosaurs trying to get out. I think it would make an incredible movie, but can't imagine any studio taking the risk. In my mind it's Jurassic Park 1 meets Apocalypto.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fast and Furious/Redline crossover.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Could really use more stories with Native American protagonists that don't entirely revolve around European colonialism. Hell, even Prey (the first game) was something.

Turok Evolution was apparently bad but a racist cowboy riding a T Rex is at least thematically appropriate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dom: “Human consciousness is a shared communal construct and films are just a visual representation of that, so you know what that means?”

*every film character in the entire history of cinema come together for a HUGE party*

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

feedmyleg posted:

I would ADORE a Turok movie based on the original comics. Though I don't think it would ever happen because the video games have so much more cultural cache with modern audiences. But the original comics didn't have all that time travel nonsense or guns or anything—it was about two pre-contact Native Americans who got trapped in a valley filled with a lost world of dinosaurs trying to get out. I think it would make an incredible movie, but can't imagine any studio taking the risk. In my mind it's Jurassic Park 1 meets Apocalypto.

You'd probably have more success pitching this exact story as a reimagining of The Lost World, in terms of name recognition, tbh. That sounds like the kind of story that would work really well as a film though, you could keep the dinosaurs a bit closer to large dangerous animals rather than cartoon monsters without making them any less of a threat, because there aren't any firearms or large numbers of people - it's just some guys lost in the forest.

Something like, the villain murders someone and the hero (or heroes) takes off in pursuit, and then they get lost and have to track each other through a lost valley full of very dangerous dinosaurs. Human conflict to keep it interesting, dinosaurs to up the stakes and give folks something to look at, keep it under 2 hours. I'd watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Turok comics are especially interesting because despite the pulpy premise, they were interested in being as historically and scientifically accurate as possible—to the degree that in between issues were educational sections about anthropology and paleontology filled with the best knowledge of the time aimed at younger readers. Obviously most of it is incredibly dated now, but it's surprising that they really tried to treat the dinosaurs like animals and were (relatively) respectful to Native American cultures in their research and depictions.

There were also primitive tribes in the valley (which were somewhat problematic) that could serve an interesting function in the story, especially because Turok had a bow and arrow and the ability to make fire, which made him significantly more technologically advanced than them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This makes me sad but drat. There have been a few stories of her wanting to do something nice, like the whole singing thing, and this, and such but she isn't being taken seriously and gets backlash of somekind.

I liked the first Turok and loved Turok 2. I would enjoy a movie that had a grand scale of adventure, like Bay-esque widescreen in scope, set in diverse fantastic lands. Similarly a Metroid movie would be cool too, if we never hear Samus say dialog.

"THE BABY"

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 11, 2020

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gatts posted:

This makes me sad but drat. There have been a few stories of her wanting to do something nice, like the whole singing thing, and this, and such but she isn't being taken seriously and gets backlash of somekind.

The singing thing was Evil.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

porfiria posted:

The singing thing was Evil.

Was it? Wasn't it just something she started and a bunch of actors got in it as well? What was evil about it? I thought it was kind of inspired by how in Italy or something neighbors started singing while quarntined.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know about evil, but it was completely tonedeaf performative bullshit to have a bunch of millionaire celebrities singing in their well-stocked sprawling mansions to try and “help” people who were genuinely fearful of having enough money for rent/food during the first month of the pandemic.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

I’d like to like Quibi because there’s a lot of cool people there and providing a space for them to make original content is good, but they’ve made it impossible. Every single decision they’ve made is laughable. That Vulture article painted Katzenberg as a several decades out of touch old man who is absolutely convinced of his own rightness and won’t hear anything to the contrary. It seems like he just roped people into it by calling up all his celebrity friends and going “Hey, check out this hip new thing the kids are going to love! All my other famous friends are doing it, you want to too right?!” And then everyone convinced themselves normal people were going to pay money for this because of how much they’d already invested, even though YouTube is right there.

The golden arm thing was pretty funny though, so I’d say it’s still a net positive that Quibi exists.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Man at this point just have the opening sequence be a shot-by-shot remake of the beginning of Heavy Metal.

its called Love, Death and Robots

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

its called Love, Death and Robots

I liked that series. There were some good shorts in there.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t know about evil, but it was completely tonedeaf performative bullshit to have a bunch of millionaire celebrities singing in their well-stocked sprawling mansions to try and “help” people who were genuinely fearful of having enough money for rent/food during the first month of the pandemic.

America is handling this way worse than much of the world and I'm a little sympathetic to foreigners who might not realize how bad it is here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

America is handling this way worse than much of the world and I'm a little sympathetic to foreigners who might not realize how bad it is here.

I mean this was in early March where it seemed like everyone was willing to hole up and wait things out for a bit. (Though people weren't wearing masks because the news said that there was a mask shortage and hospital folks needed them most and so on.) America had not yet entered the "I am not going to respect other people's safety because YOU CAN'T MAKE ME" phase.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well, the issue mentioned was people feeling financially insecure, which doesn't depend on the individualized selfishness you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, the issue mentioned was people feeling financially insecure, which doesn't depend on the individualized selfishness you're describing.
As a whole, I found Pelosi showing off her deep freeze packed with Ben and Jerry's to be worse.

I didn't honestly see how that song was so bad. Celebs talking about Quarantine being tough when their homes have 7 guest rooms, a home gym, a screening room and 3 pools was way, way more of a WTF moment. The dumb song seemed like more of a "let's do something fun to make people forget for a moment."

Last month, Will Ferrell went and recorded a bunch of short congrats messages to a bunch of LA schools unsolicited. It was a random and kind of nice thing to do. I know a bunch of kids that were like "OMG Anchorman/Elfguy?!" and it just brightened their day a little.