Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
me too :(

but the movie Palm Springs which was just released on Hulu is by one of the writers and it’s very good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently they made a season 3 of Room 104 when I wasn't looking. Any good? I thought 2 was a step up from 1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d say it was as good as s2. Even if it doesn’t have Michael Shannon rapping.

Season 4 starts in a couple weeks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

but the movie Palm Springs which was just released on Hulu is by one of the writers and it’s very good!!!

I would like to signal boost this.

It’s very, very good. If you like Andy Samberg or Cristina ‘the one true mother’ Milioti, then watch it. Don’t watch trailer. It’s 90 minutes, it’s on Hulu. Just stream or steal it. It’s good. It’s real good. It’s the most enjoyable movie I’ve seen since this lovely era begun and I have zero regrets in recommending it to people who like fun things.

Most years don’t have very many good legit comedy films, this is a legit good comedy film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I’d say it was as good as s2. Even if it doesn’t have Michael Shannon rapping.

Season 4 starts in a couple weeks!

Oh dang. Wonder why it seems like they're not promoting it at all

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just remembered that CBS All Access has a new version of The Stand in post-production. I have a feeling they might sit on that for a while.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it more that they think people will find it offensive or that they know they don't have the tact and teeth to use such a hot analogue properly? I remember around 9/11 when every other thing seems like it was cutting or re-doing a part where a building explodes or is destroyed in some way. Which really did make some sense when it was WTC in question but sometimes felt a little absurd when it was just like some fictional building or whatever.

I suppose The Stand as written probably also has a lot of other problems too but it's been so long since I've read it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A fun thought exercise is replacing the resolution of the series finale of a random prestige tv show with "a magic loving frog shows up and solves all the protagonist's problems for them" and wondering how poo poo of a show that then turns out to be.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

NieR Occomata posted:

A fun thought exercise is replacing the resolution of the series finale of a random prestige tv show with "a magic loving frog shows up and solves all the protagonist's problems for them" and wondering how poo poo of a show that then turns out to be.

How I Met Your Mother but the lionturtle kills the mother off so Ted can go bang Robin.

They put a Lionturtle on the throne of the Six Kingdoms because who has a better story than an island sized turtle...that's also a lion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tony in the diner, "Don't Stop Believin'" starts playing on the jukebox, when suddenly the magic lionturtle kills all of Tony's enemies.

Walt bleeding out on the lab floor having killed all the Nazis and the magic lionturtle fixes his wounds and revives Jane and also Jesse is his son now.

Coach Taylor is about to move to Philadelphia but then the magic lionturtle fires Mrs Coach and makes him the new Coach of the Dillon LionPanthers led by a newly revived Killmonger Creed Fruitvale Station.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

esperterra posted:

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been cancelled! I wish I could say I was disappointed, but I haven't even gotten around to season 2 yet to have a full opinion.

I enjoyed the two seasons but it's probably for the best. If the show was just getting started it'd be sad but the plot's been churning at a breakneck pace to the point that I doubt there's even much more left to explore.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I've been watching the new DuckTales on Disney+ and it rules and is clearly aimed at the mid 30s audience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From that Vulture pre-obit on Quibi

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1280137938119151616

Also 8 percent conversion rate on free trials sounds really bad but D+ only had an 11% rate. Per the Vulture piece, the industry rate is supposed to be a little less than a third.

In other train wreck news:
https://mobile.twitter.com/FOX26Houston/status/1281936295791677446

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 11, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

precision posted:

Edit: also Motherland, I think

Is Motherland actually good? Every preview, and the general concept, just seemed like it's... let's say, not the best thought out.

precision posted:

Oh dang. Wonder why it seems like they're not promoting [Room 104] at all

I don't think I've ever remembered stumbling onto any kind of ad or review of the show. The only reason I knew it existed was seeing it highlighted on the HBO app before the second season started. Of the first two seasons, I think only three or four episodes still stick out, but it was a fun show to just put on once a week. Will definitely check out season 3.

zoux posted:

Also 8 percent conversion rate on free trials sounds really bad but D+ only had an 11% rate. Per the Vulture piece, the industry rate is supposed to be a little less than a third.

That's kind of surprising about Disney + barely doing better than Quibi on retaining free trial people.

On a semi-related note my mom told me that she just got Disney + solely to watch Hamilton. I wonder how big of a bump they're getting from that. Also, what is it about Hamilton that is like catnip for middle-class white liberals?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

On a semi-related note my mom told me that she just got Disney + solely to watch Hamilton. I wonder how big of a bump they're getting from that. Also, what is it about Hamilton that is like catnip for middle-class white liberals?

My mom also got Disney+ just for Hamilton. I think a lot of those people think progressiveness is largely measured by the types of media they consume, so watching a musical where Thomas Jefferson is a black guy gives you points in diversity and racial justice.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

wizardofloneliness posted:

My mom also got Disney+ just for Hamilton. I think a lot of those people think progressiveness is largely measured by the types of media they consume, so watching a musical where Thomas Jefferson is a black guy gives you points in diversity and racial justice.

Or maybe it's because it's something that was hyped up and praised for years and was referenced in a ton of stuff but was never actually accessible to regular people until now and they're jumping at the chance to finally watch it. I would reach that conclusion long before jumping into ranting about how your mom is some virtue-signalling lib for watching something without enough white people in it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hate agreeing with Sleeveless but here we are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

I hate agreeing with Sleeveless but here we are.

Lol same

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m curious what the increased access is going to do to the hype. I’ve definitely seen a lot of people I know watch it and have a “...that’s it?” Reaction. Even if it’s exactly your poo poo it’s kind of hard for something to live up to years of hype.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My mom asked about Disney+/Hamilton yesterday. No, I don't think its because she was trying to win some kind of points with me. I think she just saw some of the million commercials and was curious about the thing that was a cultural phenomenon not that long ago. I've been tempted too because like I'm just curious to see it finally but I'm still holding out until there's an obvious other draw.

But also its like $9 or whatever so if she asks again I might get it for her. And satisfy my own curiosity.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cheaper than going to movie back when that was OK.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Funny thing about Disney+ and Hamilton is how in the run up to the 3rd they just straight up stopped doing free trials.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
IMO people buying Disney+ are doing poo poo jobs at boycotting Disney, no offense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe they never claimed to be boycotting Disney?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got a year of Disney+ for free through Verizon, so I guess I'm only directly paying one mega evil conglomerate each month, that counts for something right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No need to boycott Disney+ when there's nothing worth watching on there to begin with

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They got Brink!, Johnny Tsunami, and plenty of other Disney Channel Original Movies to relive and be disappointed in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Disney+ makes HBO Max look like Netflix

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Disney+ that Simpsons/Hamilton/Last Jedi service

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Classic Simpsons and the occasional Marvel movie make it worth the 7 bucks for me. I don’t think I’d pay 15 a month for it, but at its current price it’s fine for what it is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Disney+ has all of the Simpsons. For that alone it’s worth the price of admission.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get D+ with my Hulu and I used it to watch Iron Man last night so I'm fine with it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Also Marvel, Micky, Muppets, and a bunch of movies you remember from your childhood that you didn't totally realize was Disney until this moment.

I don't think Disney+'s selection is bad but its definitely specific to a few niches and not one you can just have year round and dig for stuff and try different things.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is the result of streaming over saturation. Just a bunch of companies shooting themselves in the foot since they've got the money to.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you have children Disney+ for 7 bucks is a god damned steal.

For adult viewing its pretty good too, and I think COVID screwed up a lot of stuff. We got the Mandalorian, but there was a lot of stuff the stopped filming that would be landing now or soonish.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Weren't people paying for like 3 years of Disney Plus in advance. lol people got suckered by a Ron Popeil huckster deal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it was $70 for 1 year of Disney, Hulu, and ESPN? Which is still pretty good even if Disney is just the service you turn on for your kids and get nostalgic with every now and then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I use D+ quite a bit, but I’m also a big dumb idiot who enjoys watching animated stuff and isn’t a burnt out internet husk when it comes to Star Wars and Marvel.

I also use HBO Max quite a bit and think they have one of the better streaming libraries out there, so :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I burned through most of the D+ stuff I was interested in fairly quick

I mean it's definitely worth a month or two for the Marvel/ Star Wars content alone tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been going to HBO Max pretty regularly. Its got a fairly deep and mixed selection and like the TCM/Criterion stuff is gonna keep me appreciative for awhile. The only problem is it not being available on my Fire Stick which is my primary tv viewing, so the extra step to chromecast means I don't go to it as often as Hulu or Netflix or Prime.

I only had Disney+ for the free week trial when it first showed but I think I could have gotten a few months from it at least. I mean, I imagine I could have routinely just gone back to it just to put on some Star Wars or Marvel movie or some film I haven't seen in 20 years like Rocketeer. But I just didn't feel like adding it to my regular costs until a couple of the Marvel shows are there.