Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

chumbler posted:

Sakura is cool and the most popular character (as of a few years ago in some poll) for a reason. Normal kid who saw Ryu one day and then figured out how to do that stuff herself, and Karin's one-sided rivalry with her is fun.

This is why Shingo is cool in KOF, also the move name Shingo Kick would make an awesome jangle pop band name. I don't know how popular Shingo is though.

Captain Baal posted:

Idk Tizoc seems pretty well liked. I've never gotten the impression Garou killed the Fatal Fury games, it feels more like KoF just being the hub of SNK's fighters did that more than anything else.

I think that combined with the handling of the Neogeo Pocket making the company bleed so much that they had to kill a lot of things helped that too, unless I have my timeline wrong.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

honestly if sf6 made it so hair didnt clip id consider that a win for capcom at this point

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

HerniaFlange posted:

This is why Shingo is cool in KOF, also the move name Shinkgo Kick would make an awesome jangle pop band name. I don't know how popular Shingo is though.

Seeing Shingo's fighting style improve in each game as he became more confidant was a neat thing that I looked forward to in every sequel. Shame he wasn't in 14.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

brainSnakes posted:

quoting this purely so i can look it up down the line whenever I want to get back into Uncler. This is some excellent resources.

i don't play uni much but there are google docs like that for every character! I think they're findable from the yuzu docs I linked but if not, you can find them by googling unist (character name) primer.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Ryoga posted:

Seeing Shingo's fighting style improve in each game as he became more confidant was a neat thing that I looked forward to in every sequel. Shame he wasn't in 14.

:yeah: Not seeing Shingo in 14 was definitely a bummer, but I can understand it too.

Live Free posted:

i don't play uni much but there are google docs like that for every character! I think they're findable from the yuzu docs I linked but if not, you can find them by googling unist (character name) primer.

Merkava didn't produce a Google doc. :/ I am bummed. The Mizuumi wiki is pretty good though, if there's something missing from the CLR wiki you can go back to the ST wiki and it should cover it.

https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Under_Night_In-Birth/UNICLR
https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Under_Night_In-Birth/UNIST

I would also like to thank folks in the Goons Garden discord, which is also a lot of people in here, for being helpful and helping me learn the game even if I'm a dumb shitposter most of the time everywhere else.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They at least brought Angel back, but without Mayumi Shintani which is a crime

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

HerniaFlange posted:

:yeah: Not seeing Shingo in 14 was definitely a bummer, but I can understand it too.

Merkava didn't produce a Google doc. :/ I am bummed. The Mizuumi wiki is pretty good though, if there's something missing from the CLR wiki you can go back to the ST wiki and it should cover it.

I would also like to thank folks in the Goons Garden discord, which is also a lot of people in here, for being helpful and helping me learn the game even if I'm a dumb shitposter most of the time everywhere else.

The Mizuumi wiki used to have straight up outdated/wrong info but I think it got cleaned up in the last few months. It's a good resource for framedata/what your buttons do but it lacks any kind of strategy/combo/matchup resources for most characters so you're still reliant on discord for that stuff.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Kongming posted:

The Mizuumi wiki used to have straight up outdated/wrong info but I think it got cleaned up in the last few months. It's a good resource for framedata/what your buttons do but it lacks any kind of strategy/combo/matchup resources for most characters so you're still reliant on discord for that stuff.

Oh, bummer. The search continues.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I adore Under Night, in a vacuum it's my favorite fighter out right now.

But there's something that's even more important than what fighting game you like the most, and that's having a friend who is on an even skill level with you to practice with. I got a friend on a Mac into Skullgirls, so that's the game i'm practicing right now. We've been having a lot of fun learning it together.

In case I ever do get back into practicing Uncler, that's good stuff to know about. Yuzuriha was one of the two characters I was practicing. The other one being https://youtu.be/Ha92kr_A6zQ

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Posting from Arzachel because he's probated lol

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pMuiRdTNt76n18CUg_DgYEhJcYdJP0eSpcIuTRtZ4UM/edit

For UNIST but still good resources. List of character primers.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

HerniaFlange posted:

someone posted the primer directory but here's the merkava one anyway

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ryoga posted:

not sure what would happen because the latest development on shingo is he can make fire appear for a split second when doing orochinagi

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He then freaks out and stops mid-match to scribble in his notes, it's great

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly, Sakura is an actual martial arts genius, which is why she attracted Karin's annoying attention. She learned how to do a Hadouken from seeing Ryu do it once.

EDIT: Friendly reminder that Dan is also a martial arts master, its just that Dan is the Paul of Street Fighter and so never gets any respect

Gologle fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 11, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Shame Boy posted:

Is DOA 4 and ARC Sys games the only ones that still have an actual lobby with little avatars running around? That was always the coolest drat feature and not enough games feature it.

why do people like this

like it's literally just a menu but worse in crowded situations or when you're trying to find one person in particular

it's one of my least favorite trends in fighting game UI design and the ArcSys versions are especially bad since they don't even have e.g. automatic rotating all play

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dan is the best at rolling and taunting.

It's disappointing he isn't in 5 since he's the perfect dummy to use in training mode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why do people like this

like it's literally just a menu but worse in crowded situations or when you're trying to find one person in particular

it's one of my least favorite trends in fighting game UI design and the ArcSys versions are especially bad since they don't even have e.g. automatic rotating all play

I like the granblue lobby, personally. It makes it feel a little more alive than just a menu.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I hope someone got arrested for the Strive lobby.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why do people like this

Aesthetics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Marin Karin posted:

I hope someone got arrested for the Strive lobby.

The moment my heart sank is when it was pointed out that the lobbies are not ugly sprites, they're 3D models cell-shaded to look like ugly sprites.

So much effort on a nonfunctional idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i just want my functions, man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd just prefer every fighting game worked like SC6/Tekken. Queue up with your character, get matched, no counterpick do-see-do, dodging, or having to find people in a lobby.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Devolver Digital confirmed that Sonicfox: Furry Fighters 4 coming soon.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gologle posted:

EDIT: Friendly reminder that Dan is also a martial arts master, its just that Dan is the Paul of Street Fighter and so never gets any respect

I think of him more like Mr Satan. He’s actually crazy powerful compared to most martial artists, it’s just that he hangs around the tiny micro-percent that are superhuman freaks and aliens.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mycot posted:

The moment my heart sank is when it was pointed out that the lobbies are not ugly sprites, they're 3D models cell-shaded to look like ugly sprites.

So much effort on a nonfunctional idea.

No way

Source?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

mycot posted:

When you only have 3d animators on a project, every problem looks like a 3d model.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah, I guess the MK kids were pretty well received despite Cassie being like the only cool one, huh

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Tbf, Cassie is extremely cool though so she more than makes up for it
Wtf, in what universe is Cassie cooler than Jacqui? Gtfo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

No way

Source?

They're not cel shaded at all they're just ugly 3d voxel people

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Spanish Manlove posted:

No way

Source?

You can tell whenever the pixel people turn around, like the bow emote and you see the tops of their heads.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'd just prefer every fighting game worked like SC6/Tekken. Queue up with your character, get matched, no counterpick do-see-do, dodging, or having to find people in a lobby.

Tekken 7 is like 90% there but unfortunately that 10% is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong loving load time

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
GBFV is way better than it has any right to be.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

KoFXIV has the best lobbies. Twelve people per lobby, six different rooms in each lobby, no cutesie sprites all menu functions, spectating, three different modes possible (Winner stays, loser stays, 1v1), chat box for if you want to read someone's salty-rear end messages, the works.

I know I talk about KoF a lot in these threads because it rules, but XIV legit has great lobby functionality. Now if only it had great netcode (instead of "not too bad really, good for KoF").

Edit: It even has online training mode and party battle where you get three players per team, one per character, but those are separate from the normal lobbies.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Gologle posted:

GBFV is way better than it has any right to be.

I'm really interested in it, but I'm waiting for a real sale and figuring the community will be mostly dead by then anyways.

If I could get my kid into fighters I'd be happy but he really hates losing or even getting hit. This from the kid who plays splatoon and overwatch for hours.

I guess in fighters the hits feel more personal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You don't get to do chip damage in fighters while getting whupped.

Also chalk me up as a person who 100% despises the little walk around avatar system for lobbies

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

when you get hit you lose all character control for a brief period, so yeah understandable

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gameko posted:

I'm really interested in it, but I'm waiting for a real sale and figuring the community will be mostly dead by then anyways.

If I could get my kid into fighters I'd be happy but he really hates losing or even getting hit. This from the kid who plays splatoon and overwatch for hours.

I guess in fighters the hits feel more personal.

There will probably be a bit of a revival when season 2 hits in...sometime.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dragon enthusiast posted:

has there ever been a fighting game that did a timeskip/roster reboot and got away with it

Garou got away with it and they would have continued that line if not for SNK dying.

MKX's timeskip went over fine, probably because it's barely a timeskip.

Soulcalibur's the big one, they ditched most of the roster from Soul Edge, or at least pretended to in the beginning.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Baal posted:

Idk Tizoc seems pretty well liked. I've never gotten the impression Garou killed the Fatal Fury games, it feels more like KoF just being the hub of SNK's fighters did that more than anything else.

The reason Rock never showed up in KOF until 14 was because the Garou team straight up told them "Rock's our money, let us keep him to ourselves for a while longer", and then SNK died, all those people moved on to Dimps and other places and the newcomers who took over at SNK had some vague idea that Rock was banned from KOF but weren't sure why, so they just never added him until the recent iteration of SNK where a lot of the old Garou guys came back.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I live avatar lobbies like XRD and Granblue. They make it feel more like you're playing actual people. Rev2's were really good, they just need to throw in some of the options from granblue and they'd be feature complete. Granblue had good options but spectating was weird and there was no training station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly, Sakura is an actual martial arts genius, which is why she attracted Karin's annoying attention. She learned how to do a Hadouken from seeing Ryu do it once.

Gutcruncher posted:

I think of him more like Mr Satan. He’s actually crazy powerful compared to most martial artists, it’s just that he hangs around the tiny micro-percent that are superhuman freaks and aliens.

Thing is with Dan is that he is superhuman- he can shoot fire from his hands! When he cameos in other games he's actually pretty good. And he explicitly practices the same style as Ken, Ryu and Sakura.

The problem is that mainly he's bad at martial arts. He was literally trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke, because his mentor realised he was motivated by anger and so told him his training was complete when it really, really wasn't. Which also causes his unwarranted arrogance, since he thinks he's a master on Ken and Ryu's level and doesn't understand he has a long way to go. And I think Sakura at least basically humours him because he taught her the basics and she considers him a genuine and supportive friend.