Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Undertaker was extremely lovely for most of the 90s, don't let WWE propaganda fool you otherwise. He didn't start having good matches until the 97-98 period when he feuded with Shawn/Foley/Austin. Everything before that was absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hirez posted:

watch the next episode already coward, i need a review

New thread subtitle? Anyway chill ya'll, these PPVs are 3 hours long and I work full time! Plus, it takes eight hours to properly prepare for a wrassling session because I need to freeze my beef jerky(this is temporary until my industrial meat dryer arrives, but for now I guess I can just deal with lovely store bought meat). But I am ready and here I go after listening to "Come on Eileen" 9 times, so now I'm crawling out of the yawning maw to present you, cold delicious jerky-powered thought.

:guinness: :jerky:

WWE One Night Only UK 1997

Hunter Heart Helmsley vs Dude Love
- Love his intro song. Ode to joy? Good choice.
- Chyna. :)
- Dude love throwing down terrible puns i love it.
- Lawler just unloading with the badly pronounced british insults here.
- Lawler: Look at this! I told you he was a berk! Vince: stop it. *30 seconds of silence from lawler* Hmm!
- Enough about the commentariat! I really enjoy Dude Love. I thought he was kind of a stupid persona once he first walked on, who is rooting for a hippie in 1997? Apparently every god drat person in the world? I get it too, this guy has been tossing Hunter around like he's made of paper. Chyna is showing a lot of restraint since her entire thing from what I've seen so far is to cheat to help Hunter win.
- Jesus that was a cool move, he flipped Hunter backwards onto a rope and hung him there, upside down.
- Okay, Hunter getting loving decked by a referee and shrinking away from a man with none of his physique and at least less than a foot was legit interesting to watch. I wonder if officials fight back often. That was great though, crowd went ape poo poo.
- lmao chyna putting Hunter's foot on the rope to help him.

Decent match. I liked that Hunter cheated with his badass girlfriend. Poor dude love.

Fans weigh in on the European Title Match
- Roight m8 i fink dat the bri-ish buldog is gonna take the toitle m8
- no wai m8 fookin' shone mycoles is da best
Also this impressive specimen

Leif Cassidy vs Tiger Ali Singh
- For some reason I lost everything I wrote for this match, so I'll have to skip it. It was very short though.
- gently caress it. Tiger's pin was pretty great, and the dude is legit handsoam. I hope he comes back more.

Los Boricuas vs Headbangers: Tag Team Title
- There's a lot of flag-waving here, I am assuming that if it isn't part of the Hart "Canada vs USA" it's just to do the whole "World" wrestling idea.
- drat Miguel you got a carpet on your back.
- Okay, a flying spin-kick so hard you fly over the ropes yourself and land on your feet? drat that guy is skilled.
- drat Mosh going nsane and knocking the poo poo out of two guys at one. I love this! More please
- Headbangers win, but honestly it kind of looked like a botch there, since miguel picked up a guy and then just kind of awkwardly dropped him. :confuoot:

British Bulldog discusses his homecoming
- Surprisingly down to earth. No interrupts, talks about his family, this is so non-insane I kept assuming someone was gonna run in and stab him with a katana.

Flash Funk vs The Patriot
- crowd doesn't seem to like the patriot very well
- So flash Funk is just kind of like, Flash Gordon, but also with funk? It's a pretty decent gimmick and I like the dude. I mean its a great idea for a character I just kind of wish he was all about moving really fast, instead he's just a good wrestler. ( I am very aware they outright state he's speedy but he's not even faster than Dude Love in the last match)
- Christ, getting kicked in the gut during a moonsault actually made me legitimately wince. God that looked loving painful.

Hawk and Animal Address the Godwins
- Mediocre promo, I guess?

Godwinns vs Legion of Doom
- I kind of like the LoD's intro, since it's just some guy going "uuruurrrrrrrrrrlrllllllllll" into a microphone. I enjoy the mad max vibe though
- Neat just gonna come in waving a confederate flag. We really just normalized the absolute hell out of waving that, eh?
- Crowd hates the Godwins, which is neato.
- The commentators are just making endless redneck jokes.
- Holy hell hawk just running around throwing people around like they're made of styrofoam this is awesome
- Animal getting strangled with the confederate flag, followed by Lawler shouting "I told you the south would rise again, vince!" :magical: :magical:
- Jim Ross - "My family fought for the east", which seems to be the precursor to the joke from this legendary simpsons clip, but Jim Ross showing he's pretty classy is a nice touch.
- Clotheslines everywhere. This match started off slow and then the last minute they just hit the fuckin' gas and cut the brakes. Great stuff!

Ken Shamrock Discusses his Injury (Shamrock vs Billy Gun)
- drat, the british love Ken Shamrock, that's neat.
- Love it. Rockabilly shows up to slap ken shamrock leading to a very quick squash match. It wasn't very impressive, but I get the impression that it was thrown in there just so the fans, who really seemed to like him, got to see him do "something", if that makes sense.

Bret Hart Discusses his match with
- Man, Bret Hart gets a very mixed reac-gently caress IT I DONT CARE BRING ON VADER

Vader vs Owen Hart
- :sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos:
- ITS TIME ITS TIME ITS TIME
- :sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos:
- Honestly, if this is "washed up afterthought" he still gets a crazy reaction from the crowd. Owen's was explosive but Vader's was respectable.
- This is some great stuff, Owen is just trying techniques and Vader is just a loving wall he can't touch.
- mastadon holy gently caress just tearing this guy apart i loving love this :killdozer:
- owen trying to flip him and getting loving slammed like a motherfucker
- Vince bringing up Vader causing trouble for them in some interview so I just had to look it up, and honestly flipping a table and threatening a reporter is Kayfabe to the max.
- Good lord, the crowd is going loving ballistic at this match, this is amazing. I thought the crowd was energetic on AEW, but honestly that seems tepid compared to the crowd in this.
- Good lord that match was amazing, especially when Owen started being able to flip vader. Man. None of this is predictable. Like the stories of the match follow narrative logic, but also they aren't obvious. This is loving lit. Vader time! :sickos:

These reactions are genuine, btw. I write everything as a stream of consciousness and then title it afterwards. I had no idea Vader was on the card, so that was pretty cool. I think not knowing the card helps my enjoyment.

Undertaker sends message to Bret
- Typical wrestling promo. No real comment. "I'mma get you bret hart rip rip"

Undertaker vs Bret Hart
- Has the undertaker ever made a bad entrance? Seriously? It's so loving basic, he just walks out slowly and its perfect every time, did he ever like trip or something?
- I like it when wrestlers throw props into the crowd :)
- Bret Hart just slamming the absolute hell out of the undertaker over and over
- He sets up a turnbuckle cheat thing and then the undertaker just throws him into it. hot drat, i love watching cheaters get shloupped like that.
- Sign "Vince Bring Back ECW: The Hardcore Wrestling" :confuoot: :confuoot:
- drat, Bret, I'm gonna assume that falling on the cameraman was a botch but holy shnit.
- :magical: Oh god the undertaker is literally hanging him from his loving neck using the ropes this poo poo is crazy this poo poo is insane
- and now hes just attacking the gently caress out of officials to boos and jeers from the crowd, like they completely turned on him it was wild. that was straight up performative hatred for each other, completely brutal. this is performance!

HBK Vows to become the WWF European Champion
- "I'm gonna win ALL the belts, MOTHER FUCKER. My middle name is Top This!"
- Probably the best of what was a series of pretty "normal" promos

HBK vs British Bulldog: European Championship Match
- Great entrance here, literally hugging members of the crowd and such. They love this. I'm a little :thunk: about him smooching that one girl, which is uh, well, awkward considering he had no idea how old she was age, and honestly, wtf? But I'm told by my partner that poo poo was pretty common and sent me a bunch of pictures of james doohan smooching people at signings and such. ~It was a different time~ :rolleyes:
- British Bulldog's entrance was wild. Why is this theme literally just "rule Britannia" though? This sucks. They played it twice too, why?
- Sign of the night: Sporty Spice 4 Life
- Yikes, Michaels striking the concrete didn't look fun.
- Rick Rude showing up. I like how this dude just shows up in a suit and shitkicks people its hilarious. like i have never heard of this person and he's such a good idea for heel stuff
- lmao, some of these signs: "Hello?! George Marshland?!"
- man...that sleeper was pretty...legit. his face turned literally blue. that was intense.
-- Commentary is actually good. They're actually doing commentary, not just spitting lovely jokes
- BB dedicated this match to his sister which is D'aww poo poo.
- How do kickouts work? Do you just...need to kind of wiggle? A lot of the AEW guys do these huge kicks, but Shawn Michaels is just kind of spasming with no actual kick, but I guess it counts.
-
Crowd interactions are great!
- Wow, that ending was crazy. "SCREAM FOR YOUR COUNTRY BULLDOG" like drat Shawn you're a monster, I love it.
- Diana Hart charging in to save her husband was pretty cool.
- I love how insanely pissed the crowd got, people were just tossing poo poo into that ring.

Overall: This is probably one of the best set of matches I've seen. Vader and Owen was great, Bret and the Undertaker was vicious and the main event was, well, it did not disappoint.

Anyway, I'll get another one down tomorrow, because it won't be three hours long.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bulldog dedicated the match to his sister because he was originally told that he would be retaining his title in his home country.

Shawn and the rest of the Kliq saw to it that, well, that didn't happen. This was a pure dick move on HBK's part and will be apparent why soon enough.

Also his sister was dying of Cancer at the time.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 10, 2020

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also this impressive specimen

That Burger King Bulldog lore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtztBjwCvQ

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kickouts are basically just trying your hardest to lift your shoulder off the mat, right? I don't think it matters how clean a kickout is as long as it elevates your shoulder off the mat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Venomous posted:

Kickouts are basically just trying your hardest to lift your shoulder off the mat, right? I don't think it matters how clean a kickout is as long as it elevates your shoulder off the mat.

Yeah, as a rule thing you just need a shoulder off the mat. Everything else is just style, the wrestlers taste, and the story you're trying to tell. They tend to be a big production because wrestling plays to the back seats.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Mandatory:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THat HBK/Bulldog match was fantastic. Just incredible heat.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Has the undertaker ever made a bad entrance? Seriously? It's so loving basic, he just walks out slowly and its perfect every time, did he ever like trip or something?

Heh. Does it count as spoilers when something is so many years separated from this time period? Because there was a situation.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
gently caress I complete forgot 2 Cold Scorpio was in the WWE as Flash Flunk. He was like the original non-lucha/japanese high flyer to me - I think his wrestling would still hold up today

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wonder who changed more matches they didn’t like: Hogan and friends or the Kliq?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hirez posted:

gently caress I complete forgot 2 Cold Scorpio was in the WWE as Flash Flunk. He was like the original non-lucha/japanese high flyer to me - I think his wrestling would still hold up today

The last time I saw Scorp he was on the first Dragon Gate USA show & was still a far better wrestler then than Ken Doane (his opponent). He also had a really good run in IWA Mid South in 2008, you get him against Eddie Kingston, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Necro Butcher, Sami Callihan, Bobby Fish, if you've got Highspots Network or IWTV then I'd recommend checking out the Kingston match from the 500th Show, 1st March '08.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Erainor posted:

I wonder who changed more matches they didn’t like: Hogan and friends or the Kliq?

Almost definitely Hogan

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, as a rule thing you just need a shoulder off the mat. Everything else is just style, the wrestlers taste, and the story you're trying to tell. They tend to be a big production because wrestling plays to the back seats.

the best pin escape is the one where people bridge out because it looks cool as poo poo - I call it the Joshi pin escape because it seems to only really be a thing there and not anywhere else and I don't know why.

https://twitter.com/judekilgour/status/1184636268027748352?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Erainor posted:

Dell_Zincht posted:

Almost definitely Hogan

It was absolutely Hogan

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Since it's so far removed: an interesting thing happened in the 2010s but putting it in tags anyway in case you're really hardline on spoilers: His fireball pyro went off WHEN HE WAS IN IT so he walked to the ring faster and cooled himself with water bottles, not blinking an eye

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Since it's so far removed: an interesting thing happened in the 2010s but putting it in tags anyway in case you're really hardline on spoilers: His fireball pyro went off WHEN HE WAS IN IT so he walked to the ring faster and cooled himself with water bottles, not blinking an eye

Whenever the Mania that had Bryan win the titles, and I believe was one of the last numbered Manias. Taker vs Brock the first time. He's wearing red as a hood and coat, AND he's loving burned to a crisp on his skin for some stupid loving reason. Was the TomatoTaker.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jiro posted:

Whenever the Mania that had Bryan win the titles, and I believe was one of the last numbered Manias. Taker vs Brock the first time. He's wearing red as a hood and coat, AND he's loving burned to a crisp on his skin for some stupid loving reason. Was the TomatoTaker.

Yup, the Mania 30 match with Brock. That match was so loving boring that before the finish his red skin was the only thing people were talking about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stop talking about the future and start talking about the past.

I love your enthusiasm for Vader showing up unexpectedly. It basically nails how everybody should feel about Vader all the time :allears:

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Rick Rude was great.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Alright, this is great, it seems I will need to start putting this poo poo into a google doc because this is the third time my terrible laptop poo poo itself and I lost everything I’ve written. For this episode. This is more than a little frustrating so I almost dropped the entire endeavour before being reminded that I could just use my google docs account to record stuff where it saves every few seconds and so here we are. Get the only beer worth drinking in this shitposter’s humble opinion :guinness: and some cold beef jerky :jerky: (it tastes better, trust me) and lets have another episode of Monday Night Raw!

September 22, 1997

Ahmed Johnson vs Rocky Malvia
- Good Lord, the crowd loving hates Rocky. They basically chanted “rocky sucks” all match long.
- This Ahmed guy is huge, I like him.

Stone Cold Steve Austin sends a warning
- Continuing his “stay outta my way or I’m gonna gently caress you up” attitude. Love it. Otherwise, very short, and fans mugged the camera so hard they just blocked out vision of him. Lil’ top of his head was all there.

Sable’s Lazer Tag Mission
- This was….a commercial? Yes? It kind of sucked. Not a fan of being shown fun and cool products I cannot enjoy.

Undertaker is ready for HBK and Hell in a Cell
- Very lengthy recap of WWE ONOUK.
- BONG and the crowd goes apeshit, at this point I’m going to stop commenting on the taker’s entrances because while I legitimately love them there’s not much to say. The crowd loves em, he gets a ton of mileage of walking in a straight line very slowly, etc.
- I will note that I find it really funny this level of pageantry is for a two minute interview.
- Oh hey and HBK showed up to talk poo poo, fun stuff.

Legion of Doom vs Farooq and Kama
- Alright, I like both of these people-
- Oh okay, a million guys are gonna run in. Okay. I guess.

Owen Hart vs Brian Pillman
- This whole “Marlene is my slave” thing is still happening. Her outfit is even more revealing, panty shots, christ. Honestly this angle is just worse and worse each and every single frickin’
- “I have to forfeit my match because i broke my arm during a position change while I was raping Goldust’s wife.”
- Slaughter coming in to force Pillman to fight because he was doin’ a ruse.
- This is a weird rear end loving match. Brian and Owen not even really wrestling.
- Goldust charging in is really cool but why...why is everyone restraining Goldust here? This makes no sense.
- “Uhhh I did it!” - Owen Hart, to a crowd of booing people.
- Stone Cold shows up and gets jumped by four loving cops, good lord this is getting wild.

Stone Cold’s First Stunner on Mr. Mcmahon
- Jack Schnider Rhiga Rha! - Great Sign there, buddy!
- God, these are actual de-escalation techniques here and Vince is coming off as a really good voice of reason here. “Pleaaaaaase this isnt about loving you over its about your personal safety we’re on your side you need to stop, you could become paralyzed, please we care about you.”
- Austin just goes “Oh you care about me?” *stunner*

A Tribute to Dick the Bulldog
- This was literally two seconds. What the hell?

HHH vs Cactus Jack: Falls Count Anywhere
- Dude Love and Mankind having a chat with each other. This is actually a fun promo, the two personalities playing against one another.
- Lmao and Hunter visibility shits himself and has a panic attack
- I’ve never see Cactus Jack before, but this is cool.
- Fans literally chanting “ECW! ECW! ECW!” drat, I guess thats probably annoying af.
- I honestly find it funny with these referees trying to like, pretend the match is still going on even though theyre barely still in the building. Like its great, i feel bad for the ref characters.

Shaun Michaels has a message for the Undertaker
- Vicous betrayal and beatdown by Hunter, Chyna, Rick Rude and Shawn Michaels just swarmed this guy. drat.

Bret Hart vs Goldust
- The live aspect of wrestling is pretty fun. “Our crosses are gonna, uHH, OUR PATHS, are gonna cross!!”
Lawler apparently just cannot stop talking about Marlene, which is just him calling her a slut again and again, to the point where Jim Ross tells him to please stop
- Pretty okay match. Shawn really pulling off that heel poo poo, people throwing stuff at him even though he’s just standing there.
- Another lovely end to a match with a shitload of people running in. The phrase “AND HERE COMES THE UNDERTAKER” should not make me sigh, but...yeah kind of.

Overall a decent episode of RAW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes, Cactus Jack rules. I love that Foley managed to make having multiple characters that were all acknowledged on-air work.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you wanna know why the Cactus Jack reveal was such a big deal, it helps to know Mick Foley's history a little.

Mankind was created when he went to WWF, as sort of a kid-friendly version of his previous persona. He still leaned into the masochistic psychopath stuff, but it was clearly toned down by 97-98.

Dude Love was actually a character Foley created when he was a child, basically an uncool guy's vision of what he thinks a "cool ladies man" is supposed to be. It was always meant to be ironic comedy and that's how Foley played it, to great effect later on.

But Cactus Jack was the purest, most dangerous version of Foley. That's the name he used in WCW, ECW, and Japan, places where he became notorious for violent brawls and deathmatches, having no regard for either his body or his opponent's. Nobody expected him to actually bring that persona or style to WWF, so when it got revealed on the Titantron and he came out with the trash can of weapons, it makes perfect sense why the crowd lost their poo poo and HHH looked scared for his life.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Dude Love and Mankind having a chat with each other. This is actually a fun promo, the two personalities playing against one another.
- Fans literally chanting “ECW! ECW! ECW!” drat, I guess thats probably annoying af.
- I honestly find it funny with these referees trying to like, pretend the match is still going on even though theyre barely still in the building. Like its great, i feel bad for the ref characters.

At least the ECW chants make sense with Cactus Jack because he was in ECW. Still, they should've had him come out to his ECW theme, you're WWE, you can afford to license Born To Be Wild ffs. Anyway, link to the segment because the promo is enjoyable

Will say that the pop for Jack being announced is kind of mental. The character hadn't been on national TV since leaving WCW 3 years before. ECW was still firmly a cult promo running in Pennsylvania, New York & the occasional Florida tour when Foley was there, Hardcore TV was on in some places but usually in the middle of the night. I know they got good coverage in the Apter mags because they were basically a local promo & they always covered North East indies well but it's still slightly odd. I know ECW had done their ECW invasion earlier in 1997 but specifically the Cactus Jack pop is pretty cool, if just because it showed the faith in Mick Foley that the fans already had. I guess it being at MSG helped. Anyway, highly recommend checking out some of his ECW work, especially his promos. The matches don't necessarily stand the test of time but he does some amazing promo work because of course he does, he's Mick Foley.

Also, for the sake of fun, the Meltzer star ratings from this show: Jack vs HHH ****, Bret vs Goldust ** Having just watched it, I feel that 4 star is very charitable in hindsight.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That particular Cactus Jack bit is my favourite Foley moment ever. Just the perfect combination of silliness and seriousness combined with a hot crowd that bought every second of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

I love your enthusiasm for Vader showing up unexpectedly. It basically nails how everybody should feel about Vader all the time :allears:

Something to add to this: if you have Disney+, you can watch Boy Meets World, where Vader had a recurring role as himself as the father of one of the local bullies. Like, he'd just walk around in his tights as if it was normal.

Actually, considering the complaints about how bad his gear smelled, that might not have been off the mark.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's a big build up from months earlier that really gives this whole thing more context and it's one of the first truly awesome moments of this era. Since being introduced, Mankind was depicted as some ill-explained psychopath who was... tortured in a dungeon or something? He seemed vaguely, though not explicitly, supernatural and he had a crazy ability to just shrug off pain like it was nothing.

Then for about a month, they showed pieces of a sitdown interview he did with Jim Ross. The narrative changed to "Mankind is Mick Foley, who is a self-pitying and self-hating lunatic with a death wish." He went over his life and career through the lens of pity. "Dude Love" was a persona that Foley created when he was a teenager filming doofy wrestling videos in his backyard. They mentioned Cactus Jack as a dangerous former persona he used in Japan and ECW. The idea was that Foley wished he could have been the handsome, cool guy who got all the women, but he instead ended up as the ugly monsters who would mutilate himself and others to move forward.

At the end of the interview, Jim Ross asked Mankind if he intended to take any responsibility for how his life ended up, which caused Mankind to go silent for a second. Then he started ranting about how dehumanizing Ross' commentary about him was and physically attacked him. The whole thing made him look absolutely psychotic, but also grounded and incredibly human.

In response, the fans really got behind him and he naturally turned face. He started coming out as Dude Love to coincide with his boost in confidence. And since they established Cactus Jack in these interviews, it made it easier for him to bring back in this Triple H segment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's a lot you can legit poo poo on HHH for but he is a very good seller (when he does, anyway), and his freaking out over Cactus Jack being announced was so loving perfect.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- This Ahmed guy is huge, I like him.

Ahmed Johnson really was a man before his time. These days, you see huge guys willing to do dives and all that all the time. But in 1996? He could have been amazing.

I mean, I say "could" because this is before anyone knew how to do big men doing dives all the time safely and he's already had to abdicate the IC title once after loving up his kidney, but still.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

September 22, 1997

Stone Cold’s First Stunner on Mr. Mcmahon
- Jack Schnider Rhiga Rha! - Great Sign there, buddy!
- God, these are actual de-escalation techniques here and Vince is coming off as a really good voice of reason here. “Pleaaaaaase this isnt about loving you over its about your personal safety we’re on your side you need to stop, you could become paralyzed, please we care about you.”
- Austin just goes “Oh you care about me?” *stunner*

This was the Raw right before my birthday freshman year of high school. Such a great show. And yeah I totally remember that stunner on Vince.

Jesus the trash can shots to Hunter's head. :stonk:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Ah, the beef is marinating in the fridge and I just poured myself a tasty tasty Roy Rogers.

Jiro posted:

This was the Raw right before my birthday freshman year of high school. Such a great show. And yeah I totally remember that stunner on Vince.

He just collapsed and had a goddamn seizure.

Off Topic: Due to a friend asking, I watched an episode of modern raw and jesus christ, its three loving hours long and it felt like at least a third of that was commercials. I almost never watch broadcast tv, but wow that was disgusting

Edit: Consulting the modern raw page on the WWE network and yes, a three hour show of RAW is 2 hours and some change, holy poo poo that's disgusting

September 27, 1997

Vince McMahon interviews Shawn Michaels
- Hunter and Shawn and Chyna just strutting the gently caress out. Crowd members dancing, all kinds of stuff.
- Hunter and Michaels doing bunny ears and sticking fingers in Vince's ears. This kind of thing makes them look like teenagers?
- GIVE ME MONEY OR STONE COLD WILL gently caress YOUR SKULL - Rick Rude, probably, maybe.
- People calling Vince a cheap lazy rear end in a top hat all the way back in 1997. He's like, in charge of this stuff.
- "Oh stone cold kicked your rear end? Maybe maybe maybe I c-c-could" - Hunter. This guy's mic presence really loving sucks, I know he's a popular wrestler but good lord him doing mic work next to Shawn Michaels makes him look like poo poo
- Sgt Slaughter: you're fighting the undertaker, BITCH!
- Hunter: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE NO PLEASE NO
- *Bret Hart Enters* and if you think THAT'S bad, we're gonna gently caress YOU UP
- Shaun and Hunter: :O :O :O :O *sweats profusely* *in obvious panic* This is pretty good acting.

British Bulldog vs The Best Wrestler, fight me
- Honestly the BB is okay, but his intro would be better if he screamed "it's time its time its time" at the beginning
- I'll admit to some skipping, because there was a six minute re-cap of WWEONUK and since I saw it like, 5 days ago...
- Pretty good clotheslines, but Vader feels less awesome in this match. The previous one I saw him in was amazing, but he seems...tired? I don't know.
- ! They made trading cards of wrestlers back in the day? drat.
- Vader wins, but in comes the Hart Foundation to be a bunch of assholes. Poor vader.
- Thank you Patriot! I like it when wrestlers just run around decking everyone.
- BY GOD THEY'RE BEATING HIM WITH THE CANADIAN FLAG :laffo:
- Bret looks so happy brutally beating people up and being a heel. I get the impression this is like, legitimate fun for him.

Farooq vs Ahmed Johnson
- WE ARE THE NATION, OF DOMINATION
- I love these guys, they're cool.
- OH poo poo AHMED BROUGHT THE LEGION OF DOOM
- Vince trying to sell getting your hand cut as a really brutal injury
- The crowd still felt the need to chant "rocky sucks! rocky sucks!"
- now if you're gonna lose a match, losing it because you decked the referee in the loving head is a drat great way to do it. Loved seeing Ahmed just smashing the metal stairs into farooq.

Sable's Lazer Tag Mission and Brian Pillman's XXX Files
-MAKE IT loving STOP
- referring to Goldust as a "heretic" is just so random. I've been noticing this a lot with wrestling where they just use random insults like "YOU'RE A BLASPHEMER!! YOU ARE A LIBELIST!!! Y-Y-YOU COUNTERFEITER OF RARE ANTIQUITIES!!!" and its even weirder when its non-live stuff.

Goldust vs The Sultan
- Dude Love saying he'll knock Lawler the gently caress out if he doesnt stop bringing up Marlene is great.
- Love Dude Love in general. "Kickout for me, baby! Kickout! YESSSSS!" He's so supportive!!

Stone Cold calls out Vince McMahon
- Sign: Dyslexia 61:3 (Okay, thats pretty funny, same with the opposite side of the sign with the phrase "toupee" and an arrow pointed at Vince)
- Vince is not acting like a person anymore, he's talking more in uhhh, like a "wrestler" voice? Does that make sense?
- Extremely lengthy zoom-in on Stone Cold's face, lmao
- Doctors are nerds! And that's the bottom line!
- Decent segment, just him standing around being intimidating

Headbangers vs Los Boricuas
- This is a pretty fun match but I don't really care about either of these wrestlers. I don't really have anything to say about em! I do apologize to the Los Boricuas fans who are let down by this.

Owen Hart Delivers a Message to Stone Cold
- Nice! Owen 3:16
- "I just broke your neck" shirt. God drat that's some good shade.
- Vince legitimately terrified for Owen's life here lol
- I love how often accidental injuries are just folded into a storyline.
- where did stone cold get riot cop gear? What th

Construction of Hell in a Cell
- PPV advertisement

Undertaker vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley
- I guess Hunter got himself some confidence!
- Oh, they're going to cheat and beat the gently caress out of him. okay.
- Holy poo poo, they put him in a body bag! That's amazing! Shawn doin the throat-cut thing OH poo poo THE TAKER IS STILL READY TO FIGHT

Wow! Great ending, I loved the way that ended. Good lord I'm actually hyped for the next PPV now! See ya'll in the next few days!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Looking forward to the show

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

quote:

Brian Pillman's XXX Files
-MAKE IT loving STOP

welp

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah early Hunter really didn't have mic work down and he never seemed comfortable with the Helmsley character. Michaels was pretty experienced by that point and had it down really well so he looked even worse in comparison.

And yeah trading cards were a massive thing up through the mid-90s. There was some great poo poo on the ones for wrestlers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Proud to support The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Vision 2030 and LIV Golf!

hunnert car pileup posted:

Vader at his best was one the most terrifying motherfuckers ever in wrestling. If washed up afterthought WWF Vader entertains you, you're in for an absolute treat if you decide to seek out more. :)

One of my favorite matches is Vader vs Flair at Starrcade 93. They built it up during the entire PPV of the over the hill Flair (in 93, lol) leaving his house, taking a limo to the arena to face Vader for the title and his family is traveling with him and are literally convinced he is going to be killed. WCW Vader was a beast.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I just want a youtube compilation of all the team canada stuff - Bret was the loving best (there is, there was, that ever will be)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
A quick update for everyone:

Yes I plan to continue this thread, but there's been a rough and tumble shakeup in my life that's been making it very difficult to actually sit down and watch some wrasslin! Without going into too fine a detail since at least one person I would rather not speak to again has admitted they cyberstalk me, there's been some good developments, and some bad ones. Three of my good friends have gotten COVID-19 and I've been doing grocery runs for them when I can while they are in quarantine, our babylon 5 watch group has figured out a way to binge that wonderful show while remaining socially distant (we watch at home while in a video call) and i've been playing the new paper mario game and its really good. I've had a few days where I could, but this heat is so loving unbearable here in ontario that I've been basically taking cold showers and hiding in my basement with the AC on, and its just a really unpleasant situation that makes watching WRRRASTLIN not a fun prospect.

That said, I'll hit the Bad Blood PPV on sunday and if I can a couple episodes of RAW right after. I don't know how many people actually care but that's what's been happening to me! Just very busy and too sweaty to sit down and watch wroosling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Take your time, update when you can, real life is far, far more important. :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

forgot to vote 5

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hey, never mind wrestling, let's talk about Babylon 5! Are any of your group first time watchers? How far have you gotten? Who's your favorite character?

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I am the only person who has seen it, we jsut finished S3ep10 and im pretty sure everyone likes delenn the most after the poo poo she pulled in that episode.