Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just from looking it up, "to die" and "to kill" are both moli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, a Scorpio.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Wow, I never in my life thought I would see toki pona in the wild. Those were a trip.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Knormal posted:

See you guys in Buenos Aires.

thats a chump move wiki says most meteors crashed into canada. time to border hop up north.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Buenos Aires actually has a well documented future of being destroyed by meteors

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://youtu.be/3PbdyJ_ybSI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:yeah:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yo thank you for the toki pona posts, I had never heard of it and it’s extremely my jam (last weekend I wrote a lovely free microgame for studying languages, it’s seriously right up my alley)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/tonyposnanski/status/1281953815072309251

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

barbecue at the folks posted:

It's also heavy on positive words instead of negative, forcing you to communicate (and see) upsides of life instead of downsides. It's fun! :3:

I know it's the opposite of its intention, but my idiot brain immediately thinks of "double plus ungood" as an example.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ugh, I wish I could afford hot chip.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's not as good as the stuff you get in a store, but if you have some spare hot lying around and you buy regular chip, you can make hot chip at home.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you have some hot pockets lying around you can actually carefully open them up to get the hot out. It's just as good as the pure stuff but like half the price for whatever reason. You can still eat the pockets too if you want.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
If you soak red hots in water overnight, bring that water to a boil, and then allow it to cool, you not only end up with some really excellent hot floating at the top, you also have a good amount of perfectly drinkable home-made red.

e: You can also technically get red from hot pockets with red sauce, but it's kinda difficult to separate the red from the sauce.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Who the gently caress wants unhot pockets? You clown, what's next, cold pockets?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SpacePig posted:

If you soak red hots in water overnight, bring that water to a boil, and then allow it to cool, you not only end up with some really excellent hot floating at the top, you also have a good amount of perfectly drinkable home-made red.

e: You can also technically get red from hot pockets with red sauce, but it's kinda difficult to separate the red from the sauce.

Me: Mom can we got out for some Red?

Mom: We have red at home (boils red-hots).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

It's not as good as the stuff you get in a store, but if you have some spare hot lying around and you buy regular chip, you can make hot chip at home.

You know how Wavy Lay's are like WAAAAAY greasier than most other chips?

If you sprinkle Tony Chachere's on them shits it sticks like glue and becomes the best potato chips you've ever eaten.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Who the gently caress wants unhot pockets? You clown, what's next, cold pockets?

Put whatever you want in them, I'm just trying to save leftists some money on their hot chip. But I think if you have a premium source of cold just lying around your house you can probably afford the fancy store bought hot anyway.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Mikesells potato chips are superior and if you are in the midwest for some reason you need to get them. Mostly a Cincinnati/Dayton area chip.

Perfect balance of salt and oil. Not too salty, not too greasy, not too crispy, but not too flimsy: just right.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hot pockets are a lie because they actually just sell you a pocket and you have to add the hot yourself

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

bike tory posted:

Put whatever you want in them, I'm just trying to save leftists some money on their hot chip. But I think if you have a premium source of cold just lying around your house you can probably afford the fancy store bought hot anyway.

You can really tell a lot about a person by the way they react to the suggestion of eating a regular pocket.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jestery posted:

{Green} colour of plant
{Blue} default name for that colour?

{Green} is default
{Blue} "Green colour tone" of the heavens

Should I just assume loss and give the gently caress up because I get the symbolic language thing, but what the hell is even going on with that explanation

E: I get that it's the Drake meme but simply cannot parse what the translation text is trying to get across. I dumb

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 11, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

dialhforhero posted:

Mikesells potato chips are superior and if you are in the midwest for some reason you need to get them. Mostly a Cincinnati/Dayton area chip.

Perfect balance of salt and oil. Not too salty, not too greasy, not too crispy, but not too flimsy: just right.

I'm not as much of a chip eater as I used to be, but, I'm a simple man who enjoys Munchos.
They're basically pure salt, but, I like them sometimes when I do want chips of any temperature.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Son of Rodney posted:

Ugh, I wish I could afford hot chip.

I had some left over.. you can have some if.. if you like. It's not like I like you or anything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJKgi2e-Aw

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Karl May was a lying shithead

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Listen, I don't have Enrique make my vegan artisinal red, I'm just a normal person who buys my hot and my red at the dollar store like a normal person.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RandomFerret posted:

Listen, I don't have Enrique make my vegan artisinal red, I'm just a normal person who buys my hot and my red at the dollar store like a normal person.

oh poo poo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I had some left over.. you can have some if.. if you like. It's not like I like you or anything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJKgi2e-Aw

Hot Chip is amazing, thanks for sharing friend

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Should I just assume loss and give the gently caress up because I get the symbolic language thing, but what the hell is even going on with that explanation

E: I get that it's the Drake meme but simply cannot parse what the translation text is trying to get across. I dumb

One of the features of Toki pona is that due to the heavily compressed conceptual space, blue and green are described using the same word and symbol (laso, the plant looking hieroglyphic) because they are right next to each other on the colour wheel. This is less silly than is sounds and there is precedent of this in other natural languages

So it's getting across

Bad - using laso to describe blue and PLANT-LASO to describe green

Good - using laso to describe green and HEAVENLY-LASO for blue

It's an opinion piece on the use of the language. To stretch the meaning of interpretation and give a bit more clarity with sentence structure

"Using laso to mean blue and defining green by referring to plants is inferior. Superior is to assume a more green tone for laso and specify the sky when you mean blue"

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

Jestery has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Jul 11, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t know I’m just saying it’s possible if not likely that Son of Rodney is both eating hot chip and lying

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Jestery posted:

One of the features of Toki pona is that due to the heavily compressed conceptual space, blue and green are described using the same word and symbol (laso, the plant looking hieroglyphic) because they are right next to each other on the colour wheel. This is less silly than is sounds and there is precedent of this in other natural languages

So it's getting across

Bad - using laso to describe blue and PLANT-LASO to describe green

Good - using laso to describe green and HEAVENLY-LASO for blue

It's an opinion piece on the use of the language. To stretch the meaning of interpretation and give a bit more clarity with sentence structure

"Using laso to mean blue and defining green by referring to plants is inferior. Superior is to assume a more green tone for laso and specify the sky when you mean blue"

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

Well, bless your hearts. What a darling little language you have there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I am disappointed to learn the language differentiates. Being blue/green colour blind, I like that there are some languages that just don't give a gently caress and call them the same thing, was hopeful that this was one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has anyone who isn't a complete moron ever tried to create an artificial human language?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Phosphine posted:

I am disappointed to learn the language differentiates. Being blue/green colour blind, I like that there are some languages that just don't give a gently caress and call them the same thing, was hopeful that this was one.

I’d say that the language doesn’t differentiate between blue and green, it has one word (laso) for both which makes blue/green a single referent. Some language users are arguing about communicating a conceptual difference by combining laso with sewi or kasi.

Linguisticsposting :pseudo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of modern words are artifically constructed so making a hundred odd at once doesn't seem like a reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Has anyone who isn't a complete moron ever tried to create an artificial human language?

Smratk.