Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

Whereas I, some guy with nowhere near the talent of half these animators, started out getting paid $15 per hour as a junior animator in Canada, and now make $23. Nowhere near a princely sum or anything, but fine.

I made $11/hr doing cleanup animation for my first industry job. Even though it required less talent than animating, it was STILL underpaid, especially because it was in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

IUG posted:

To be Continued?!

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1278720320753590272

Be still my heart, I never thought this would come back to life (and I'm still skeptical). Even after that easter egg in Spider-Verse.

At long last it is once again time to laugh, and shiver, and cry.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Undergrads is getting a movie, Clone High is getting some new episodes

come ooooooooooon Mission Hill revival

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Aces High posted:

Undergrads is getting a movie, Clone High is getting some new episodes

come ooooooooooon Mission Hill revival

Ha, it's your lucky day:

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1278051793914613760?s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Megera posted:

I made $11/hr doing cleanup animation for my first industry job. Even though it required less talent than animating, it was STILL underpaid, especially because it was in Hollywood.

drat don't they have guild rates there? I looked at the Animation Guild rates for juniors and it starts out at 70k a year, which is probably more than I'll ever make in my career in Canada. But that's also why studios are trying to get all their movies done abroad now, aside from the huge players like Disney.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

drat don't they have guild rates there? I looked at the Animation Guild rates for juniors and it starts out at 70k a year, which is probably more than I'll ever make in my career in Canada. But that's also why studios are trying to get all their movies done abroad now, aside from the huge players like Disney.

Not all studios in LA are unionized. Luckily most are now.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mr. Peabody & Sherman was a good movie, and it's probably one of the only films that beat expectations for how adaptations of 1960s-1980s tend to be terrible. Sometimes they told the same jokes too many times or over-explained them, but I laughed at a lot of them, like the one where Mr. Peabody sneaks onto the Trojan horse in a smaller Trojan horse. I'll give it 3/5, better than the Hotel Transylvania series, but not as good as something like Bolt

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 4, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

galenanorth posted:

Mr. Peabody & Sherman was a good movie, and it's probably one of the only films that beat expectations for how adaptations of 1960s-1980s tend to be terrible. Sometimes they told the same jokes too many times or over-explained them, but I laughed at a lot of them, like the one where Mr. Peabody sneaks onto the Trojan horse in a smaller Trojan horse. I'll give it 3/5, better than the Hotel Transylvania series, but not as good as something like Bolt

I liked during the climax where everyone's showing solidarity until one of them just blurts out "I'M SPARTACUS!" I thought that was funny, although the actual villain was very unnecessary to the movie as a whole.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just watched A Whisker Away on Netflix. A cute cat transformation movie, although not as charming as The Cat Returns.

I felt like it was a little bogged down in high school drama I wasn't that interested in, but it really got going when they go to the fantasy cat world in the third act. That part had lots of cool world design and many fascinating cat people <3

3 paws out of 4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In Lupin III canon, Jesus Christ had a vampire twin sister.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Lupin III canon, Jesus Christ had a vampire twin sister.

This is actually canon to the bible, it just doesn't get mentioned a lot because she was a remarkably chill woman in real life and from what historians can tell she lived an extremely peaceful existence drinking the blood of animals in the woods (as was the style at the time). Jesus also had two werewolf cousins, which also rarely gets brought up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's anime jesus

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

That's anime jesus

Anime Jesus also lived in an apartment with Buddha for a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P4BJdOMce8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is actually canon to the bible, it just doesn't get mentioned a lot because she was a remarkably chill woman in real life and from what historians can tell she lived an extremely peaceful existence drinking the blood of animals in the woods (as was the style at the time). Jesus also had two werewolf cousins, which also rarely gets brought up.

From Jesus' lesser-known supernatural sitcom years

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Lupin, has there been any word yet as to whether they're planning on doing a Part 6 or some other related anime series at some point? I know there was a movie and/or special that came out last year at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anime Jesus also lived in an apartment with Buddha for a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P4BJdOMce8

I'm honestly not huge on anime, but that is a really funny show. I like What's Michael too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Lupin, has there been any word yet as to whether they're planning on doing a Part 6 or some other related anime series at some point? I know there was a movie and/or special that came out last year at least.

Depends on if the Italian funding sticks around, I'd imagine

(That's not even a joke)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well, Chicken Run 2 is recasting apparently everyone, and while that's understandable in the case of Rocky, Julia Sawalha didn't even get asked to do a voice test (and did one on her own showing her voice really hasn't changed much at all in 20 years.)

Disappointing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was halfway through typing a decent-sized post about how absurd it was that they were making Chicken Little 2 when I realized you actually wrote Chicken Run 2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, Chicken Run 2 is recasting apparently everyone, and while that's understandable in the case of Rocky
Get Chris Pratt and in 10 years we can all be "wow, what a douchebag"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FilthyImp posted:

Get Chris Pratt and in 10 years we can all be "wow, what a douchebag"

I’m still waiting for his inevitable Milkshake Ducking.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, Chicken Run 2 is recasting apparently everyone, and while that's understandable in the case of Rocky, Julia Sawalha didn't even get asked to do a voice test (and did one on her own showing her voice really hasn't changed much at all in 20 years.)

Disappointing.
No Jane Horrocks, I am disappoint

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The_Doctor posted:

I’m still waiting for his inevitable Milkshake Ducking.
You missed when Ellen Paige called out his homophobic-rear end church and he was like 'hey not all of our church ....'

Guarantee the guy has some ALL LIVES shirts in his closet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

You missed when Ellen Paige called out his homophobic-rear end church and he was like 'hey not all of our church ....'

Guarantee the guy has some ALL LIVES shirts in his closet.

I really don't think this is fair at all. Pretty much every church ever, if you go high enough, has done terrible things or has some terrible views. It doesn't stop churches on the local or personal level from being good or helpful. Why does Chris Pratt especially have to answer for his whole church but every Catholic celebrity doesn't?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Catholics aren't the hip cool church for Hollywood up-and-comers, for one.

Plus this is what one of the pastors said about the LGBTQ+ community:

"Hillsong Church welcomes ALL people but does not affirm all lifestyles. Put clearly, we do not affirm a gay lifestyle and because of this we do not knowingly have actively gay people in positions of leadership, either paid or unpaid."

And that's, you know, not addressing the allegations of pushing conversion therapy.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 11, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

How many other celebrities have walked around in public wearing a "don't tread on me" shirt?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Catholics aren't the hip cool church for Hollywood up-and-comers, for one.

Plus this is what one of the pastors said about the LGBTQ+ community:

"Hillsong Church welcomes ALL people but does not affirm all lifestyles. Put clearly, we do not affirm a gay lifestyle and because of this we do not knowingly have actively gay people in positions of leadership, either paid or unpaid."

And that's, you know, not addressing the allegations of pushing conversion therapy.

Again, though...why does Pratt have to personally answer for that yet neither, say, Leonardo DiCaprio nor Stephen Colbert need to personally answer for the terrible stuff the Catholic church has done?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Again, though...why does Pratt have to personally answer for that yet neither, say, Leonardo DiCaprio nor Stephen Colbert need to personally answer for the terrible stuff the Catholic church has done?

Largely because they are not discussing the church as a whole (which is a significantly diverse thing even among different parishes) but Hillsong Church in particular.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Largely because they are not discussing the church as a whole (which is a significantly diverse thing even among different parishes) but Hillsong Church in particular.

Right, but he's said that his experience with his own personal church has been different than what's apparently espoused by the organization as a whole, which is, like, everyone's experience with church, isn't it?

On a meta, global level, they're terrible, power hungry, intolerant political organizations, but on an individual, per-parish level they can be helpful and friendly and open. Like, if you want to share your faith with some people, you pretty much have to ignore what's going on higher up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

:colbert: posted:

"Colbert, who taught Catholic Catechism for several years, says he thinks there is a responsibility with devotion. When Rosica asked him about religious fanaticism and the Charlie Hebdo murders, Colbert said the Catholic Church was once that extreme. He also said he’s relieved he wasn’t doing a show when the Hebdo massacre took place. “There’s no sufficient response I could’ve thought of at that moment, and I felt very lucky not to be on-air at that time,“ said Colbert. “When a big story happens, I would think, ‘I wish I were on-air to talk about this,’ that one was like, ‘I’m so glad I’m not because I don’t have anything I think that approaches it.’”

But he said his second reaction to the murders was to look at his own faith. “If this were the 14th Century, Christians could have done this,” he said. “If the 15th-Century Christians might have been offended to the point of violence, at blaspheme. You know, check your history books. So, in an ultimate sense, I do not perceive that action is indicative of Islam… I’m not trying to make a moral equivalency between the Christianity of the Middle Ages and these people, who are doing this horror right now, but every religion has been so defensive of its beliefs that it has actually abandoned its beliefs at times.”

I mean, it's not him saying "we need to own up to the molestation, damage to access to birth control, antiabortion, anti-gay sentiment..." but it's a bit better than "well my church is very inclusive actually because they didn't stone me when I was going through a divorce" when someone else brought up explicitly anti-gay bias in the church and leadership.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, it's not him saying "we need to own up to the molestation, damage to access to birth control, antiabortion, anti-gay sentiment..." but it's a bit better than "well my church is very inclusive actually because they didn't stone me when I was going through a divorce" when someone else brought up explicitly anti-gay bias in the church and leadership.

I dunno, Colbert saying that the Catholic church used to be bad feels like a hell of a cop out. In the end, all of these people have to balance their faith and community with the terrible things the larger organizations have done, continue to do, and certainly do in the future. I don't see why Chris Pratt is particularly awful in this regard, and why everyone seems so eager to lambast him specifically.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I don't see why Chris Pratt is particularly awful in this regard, and why everyone seems so eager to lambast him specifically.
Largely because he puts forward the nice everyday guy / loveable goof persona.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the difference is because the catholic church is the only legitimate representative entity of the one true God, friend-o

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
There is also the fact that Hillsong Church was founded in 1983. There is a bit of a difference between Stephen Colbert being born and raised in a religion that his family has probably been born and raised in for generations vs Chris Pratt joining an aggressively evangelical, aggressively hateful organization that is younger than him.

It's an interesting point and I agree that Catholics in general should get more flak for being part of an organization that so aggressively fights against gay right and women's rights. But there is a cultural weight to Catholicism that does make being Catholic a fair bit different than being part of being part of Hillsong Church. For one thing, someone who is Catholic can only be part of the Catholic Church. Someone who is a non-denominational evangelical Christian can be that as part of any one of a number of different organizations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...maybe he just likes his church? Maybe he enjoys the community. Maybe what he sees on his level is genuine unconditional love and acceptance.

I’m not saying he’s for certain a completely cool dude, it just doesn’t seem fair to me that he’s somehow asked to bear the burden of his entire church’s misdeeds while others maybe aren’t.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I mean...maybe he just likes his church? Maybe he enjoys the community. Maybe what he sees on his level is genuine unconditional love and acceptance.

I’m not saying he’s for certain a completely cool dude, it just doesn’t seem fair to me that he’s somehow asked to bear the burden of his entire church’s misdeeds while others maybe aren’t.

I mean... honest question: So What?

"I found a community that loves and accepts me in particular" doesn't mean it isn't a horrible toxic community. That sense of love and acceptance is used by everything from cult leaders to neo nazis. It is a powerful tool for assuring loyalty.

Even if Chris Pratt sees that it doesn't mean he isn't still supporting a terrible organization. There is a reason people wanted to leave SA after Lowtax's reveal despite the fact he was an entirely absent landlord, because they couldn't justify continuing to support an organization run by a hateful wife-beater even if it had a community they were fond of and with good people in it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I mean... honest question: So What?

"I found a community that loves and accepts me in particular" doesn't mean it isn't a horrible toxic community. That sense of love and acceptance is used by everything from cult leaders to neo nazis. It is a powerful tool for assuring loyalty.

Even if Chris Pratt sees that it doesn't mean he isn't still supporting a terrible organization.

Again, though, “horrible toxic community” applies to pretty much all of them. It just seems a bit lovely that Pratt gets it in particular because his flavour of toxic community...doesn’t have the weight of centuries of atrocities behind it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

True, but he enjoys that because he's a cishet white male.

That level of acceptance or welcome wouldn't be possible for a black lesbian.

The fact that his church is supposedly somewhat against Divorce but overlooked his great and terrible sin is... well... :downs:

Note that I think Selena Gomez/Justin Bieber and whatever other celebs attend that church should get dragged as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Again, though, “horrible toxic community” applies to pretty much all of them. It just seems a bit lovely that Pratt gets it in particular because his flavour of toxic community...doesn’t have the weight of centuries of atrocities behind it?

No.

The Church (as a worldwide organization) is responsible for terrible atrocities. However The Church is not the same as The Religion and should not be mistaken for that. Many local churches do not adhere to the The Church in the same way. My parents go to a church where the pastor is gay and married and runs an aid group for LGBTQ+ kids. It is possible to hold your own religion or have your own church without being forced to accept those things or even to speak out against them. Many religious individuals from all faiths do this because they genuinely believe in their religion, not the organization.

In Chris Pratt's case he is actively supporting a specific church. (Technically they have three locations but that is a Megachurch for you.) This is much harder to divorce from The Religion because he is supporting a specific church that is actively horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

No.

The Church (as a worldwide organization) is responsible for terrible atrocities. However The Church is not the same as The Religion and should not be mistaken for that. Many local churches do not adhere to the The Church in the same way. My parents go to a church where the pastor is gay and married and runs an aid group for LGBTQ+ kids. It is possible to hold your own religion or have your own church without being forced to accept those things or even to speak out against them. Many religious individuals from all faiths do this because they genuinely believe in their religion, not the organization.

In Chris Pratt's case he is actively supporting a specific church. (Technically they have three locations but that is a Megachurch for you.) This is much harder to divorce from The Religion because he is supporting a specific church that is actively horrible.

There's more than three, though. There are twenty-some Hillsong churches in Australia alone. I have no idea what the Los Angeles branch espouses. Pratt has said that his church has helped people regardless of their sexual orientation the same way they helped him regardless of his marital status.