Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Skwirl posted:

Bizarrely, Scottish tweets are much easier for me to read than whatever the gently caress that was. Maybe because I liked Trainspotting enough that I read the book and a bunch of other Irvine Welsh poo poo in high school.

Bizarrely, you just read an extremely Scottish post so I don't know what Scottish you think you're bragging about reading but it isn't Scottish.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/jamiejones/the-100-funniest-scottish-tweets-of-2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

That's Scottish too, just not the pantomime Trainspotting dialect Scots twitter pretends to post in.

The Scottish twitter thing is a bit of a mix, a lot of it is affected but theres a decent number of folk that do type like that normally.

Being from Falkirk I obviously do not have an accent. But people from England still think I'm from the moon.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Aramoro posted:

The Scottish twitter thing is a bit of a mix, a lot of it is affected but theres a decent number of folk that do type like that normally.

Being from Falkirk I obviously do not have an accent. But people from England still think I'm from the moon.

Oh for sure and I love it either way. Just cracks me up when I see my Glaswegian friends manage to type in English on Facebook but soon as they go over to Twitter magically turn into Oor Wullie to rake in those sweet RTs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

lobsterminator posted:

I'm an outside observer and both are equally foreign. Maybe it's different if you've grown up natively in one version instead of being immersed in both languages through media. But like in Graham Norton show when there's some Scottish person and an American guest the Americans always have trouble understanding the Scot. It might also be that you don't get much British content in the US. Sorry if I sounded too smug in my initial post.

Your average American isn't going to have much trouble understanding the general English accent cultivated in British media and vice versa. We don't get as much exposure to British film and tv as they do to ours, but it's common enough that anyone making a big deal about how unintelligible a Brit is is probably exaggerating. Sub-dialects, even big ones like Scottish or Welsh, are a different story because they get even less exposure on an international scale and so their quirks aren't as well known/don't get dropped.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

poo poo, the only problem I have with this is that the OP didn't expand the images, expecting me to go to twitter or whatever. gently caress that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pro tip everyone outside of well to do southeasterners is what you would call a sub dialect.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have nary a problem understanding scots usually, but bring me an ac/dc singer with a flat cap and a tank top and I'm completely lost

ed: or i guess a pro motorcycle racer with huge sideburns

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Does Kanye have a history of behaving inappropriately around and acting entitled to underage girls bodies? Because if not, he's already the superior candidate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Picnic Princess posted:

Does Kanye have a history of behaving inappropriately around and acting entitled to underage girls bodies? Because if not, he's already the superior candidate.

I'm trying to remember how old Taylor Swift was when she got her first VMA.

He was still right about that however old she was.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

there wolf posted:

Sometimes we can't actually understand what you're saying, especially the more niche dialects. But that's ok because sometimes Britains can't understand what we are saying and would be very hard pressed to even name a niche American dialect.

Boston accent not count as niche?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boston itself wouldn't thanks to loads of exports in culture like JFK and movies, but like the kind of rural accent you'll find in Eastern Mass or Northern New England would.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Legit question where the gently caress is the Biden campaign? I'm seeing all sorts of social media poo poo-- both unironic and "lol look at how dumb they are" poo poo from the Trump Campaign-- but nary a peep from Biden. Trump is spending money to get his crappy ads plastered on YouTube. I haven't seen a single Biden ad. This is pretty concerning halfway through the election year.

biden is putting out plenty of ads but they're very standard boring political ads and nobody in your social media ecosystem likes biden so nobody shares his boring ads

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

mind the walrus posted:

Boston itself wouldn't thanks to loads of exports in culture like JFK and movies, but like the kind of rural accent you'll find in Eastern Mass or Northern New England would.

“Bought these jimmies down to the packie”

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

AlbieQuirky posted:

“Bought these jimmies down to the packie”

My (Boston suburbs) wife moved to the UK and found out really quickly that she shouldn't be asking what to get at the packie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1282087271429070848

:jerkbag:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
gently caress those ethnic cleansers, not for what they did, but for the inevitable political response

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StillFullyTerrible posted:

gently caress those ethnic cleansers, not for what they did, but for the inevitable political response

The content is bad enough, but this is a story they published five years ago (on the 20th anniversary of the genocide) and decided it might be a good to repost it now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s a valid point that the US uses other atrocities to validate doing their own.

Though thehrasing makes no sense.

That massacre was used to validate one intervention when it implies it was used for many

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

The Genocide Defender has logged on

Edit: Actually that may be unfair, I can't really understand what you said
Apologies if it is

StillFullyTerrible has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jul 12, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has there honestly been a point past 1945 where US interventionism has made anything better?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Has there honestly been a point past 1945 where US interventionism has made anything better?

NATO intervention in 1995 forced serbs to negotiation table that eventually led to Dayton accords. And that ended the war in Bosnia.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It gave us Godzilla and anime.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Skwirl posted:

we can't "honestly" answer this question because we don't know how things would have turned out if the US hadn't intervened when it did intervene, or what would have happened if it did when it did not
we have hypotheticals and opinions only
in my opinion it's made stuff worse 90% of the time

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL I thought this guy was banned from Twitter

https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1281789685711409157

Context:
https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1281732441279954946

Sure, buddy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

The UK is basically full of people who sound like Cajuns or rural Appalachians. And we have trouble understanding each other too.

In general american english accents are a few centuries behind british and you're right about appalachians. And to the other poster yeah we don't pretend to not understand british accents, there are a lot that we actually don't. Glasgow and geordie I can attest to, I'm not pretending to not understand that. It's nonsense to me.

But holy gently caress are you wrong about cajuns. It's not english. C'est pas français !

Once me and an ex got our stuck in the mud in Louisiana. I'm american and speak american english and france french fluently, he's canadian, fluent in canadian english and good but not great québécois french. Some dude in a truck rolls up and starts talking.There is literally no communication. He might as well be going bar bar bar. We can't understand him and if we can't who can??

Eventually, he says in slow, clear foghorn leghorn english, "I can haul you." At the end of the day, after yelling in multiple languages, we get hauled back to the road, and our lovely car got fixed up.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jul 12, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

The Genocide Defender has logged on

Edit: Actually that may be unfair, I can't really understand what you said
Apologies if it is

.?? The very first sentence is the US exploits tragedy’s.

Can’t exploit something if it didn’t happen.

Seems pretty clear

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1282091215463354373?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

.?? The very first sentence is the US exploits tragedy’s.

Can’t exploit something if it didn’t happen.

Seems pretty clear

Exploiting events that never happened is why we had the loving Vietnam War.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SERIOUS POST: I just shook hands✊ and ✅agreed✅✅ to the exclusive 🏧sale 🏧 of Something Awful 💦💦💦and all its🇮🇹 assets(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. If you're screencapping this, 🇮🇹it's 🇮🇹 because two✌️✌️ weeks ago, an extremely vocal group👥 of forum users👤 went ballistic and stirred up ☝️ so 🆘🆘 much poo poo💩 by publicly🚅 lying about me, that eventually a 🅰️🅰️ large portion of SA's users👥 and moderators threatened to mass migrate 📴off📴-site. Why? Because 🅰️a🅰️ blackout 🍸drunk🍸 bipolar woman 👸👊👊👊👊👸 🈶had🈶 accused me of hitting👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊 her while I was bedridden🛌 and waiting 🚏 for an epidural. I 🈶have 🈶 degenerative disc📀 😷disease😷, and it🇮🇹 was to ease the pain of a🅰️ collapsed 💿disc💿 in my neck pushing 🆙up🆙 against a🅰️ nerve and rendering my 👃body👃 🔀randomly🔀🔀 useless, but constantly in pain.😂😂(❁´◡`❁)

Since then, this woman🙋 🈶has🈶 tried to block me out of my own website, change🚼 the contact information 📄 for our ad revenue to her name📛, and avoid my blocks on🔛 her phone 📳 and texts by 🉐getting🉐 a🅰️ new🇳🇿 number 9️⃣. I have🈶🈶 included 🅰️a 🅰️ sample of the poo poo💩 she sends me; this is a🅰️🅰️ 💄woman💄💄 people👤 felt was trustworthy enough to believe in and fight for.👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👩 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

I'd like😘 to thank the countless 👦people 👦 who have🈶 stood silently😶 by my side during this ridiculous ordeal, and I'd like💚💚 to say great job of being🐝 completely gullible tools⚙⚙ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to the 👪people👪 who did not.(┬┬﹏┬┬) You're 🅰️a🅰️🅰️ bunch of dense rear end motherfuckers who believe the following text messages 💬 are from a🅰️ credible and reliable source. gg nextmap in my lifeಥ_ಥ😭😭😭

👩👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👩

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I’m 100% unironically grateful that this is the first place I’m seeing that statement.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Unkempt posted:

My (Boston suburbs) wife moved to the UK and found out really quickly that she shouldn't be asking what to get at the packie.

Is what they call it there really any better, though?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

wizzardstaff posted:

I’m 100% unironically grateful that this is the first place I’m seeing that statement.

Big :same:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skwirl posted:

America is bad OP but have you considered that all countries are bad?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

oldpainless posted:

America is bad OP but have you considered that all countries are bad?

oldstateless

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm not well versed on Bosnia, but unless those direct quotes in that article are outright fabrications they are pretty damning. What am I supposed to be disagreeing with?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

"Yes, the genocide was bad. But even worse was how a global hegemon that loves intervening would sometimes mention how this one time, their intervention didn't gently caress up" is a pretty weaksauce article

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

I'm not well versed on Bosnia, but unless those direct quotes in that article are outright fabrications they are pretty damning. What am I supposed to be disagreeing with?

Blaming the Bosnias for being genocided by Serbs? Refusing to call this a genocide in contradiction to ruling of the International Court of Justice? The whole thing is genocide apologia and is trash, and is especially trash to post up a link to on the 25th anniversary of the genocide.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unkempt posted:

You should probably confront her.

https://youtu.be/XOsLZ0lSqpg

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For those who want context on Rhinos post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Blaming the Bosnias for being genocided by Serbs? Refusing to call this a genocide in contradiction to ruling of the International Court of Justice? The whole thing is genocide apologia and is trash, and is especially trash to post up a link to on the 25th anniversary of the genocide.

That isn’t what the argument says at all? I just read it and it says the Bosnian government left the town unprotected letting the Serbs capture the city.which absolutely happened.

Your conflating the Bosnian government with the people which icy is pretty gross