Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

gary oldmans diary posted:

Using Javascript to implement CSS always feels wrong. I recall some concern about Stylish, but does it have a monitored for security alternative yet?

Stylus, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Using Javascript to implement CSS always feels wrong.

Isn't that what Stylish/Stylus/whatever is doing under the hood anyway?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Toast Museum posted:

Isn't that what Stylish/Stylus/whatever is doing under the hood anyway?

Yup. You can see what it does in the Debugger in Developer Tools.

Also, a reminder that Stylish is spyware. Use Stylus.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the Stylus recommendation, this is perfect! I assumed something like Greasemonkey/etc... would be my only option hence the JS-centric framing of my question, but something CSS-focused like Stylus is what I was really wanted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Klyith posted:

The checkbox just makes it not light up.

To get rid of it entirely, in about :config
browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled set to false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.providers.whats-new-panel edit the string to change "enabled":true, to false

then restart ff

whatsNewPanel and whats-new-panel is some excellent naming convention standardising.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't help but wonder if there's a measurable difference between Stylus or (Tamper|Grease|Violent)Monkey in terms of actual performance?
I would naively expect something like GreaseMonkey to be fastest since it's applied at DOM load and doesn't need a second pass of the stylesheet over the page, but that might be based on an erroneous understanding of the rendering engine (since I imagine it's changed quite a lot).

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
On slow webpages, I could have sworn the (outdated) Stylish was already in effect while the page was still loading and never saw the pre/post blink I had with Greasemonkey. I assumed it was nothing but a frontend for userContent.css.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Applebees posted:

You could try messing around with C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

Maybe changing the line StartWithLastProfile=1
This turned out to work pretty well based on my initial testing, thanks. By changing this to 0 when you launch the new Firefox for the first time it brings up the profile list, which should only have the one existing profile in it. If you select that existing profile and tell Firefox not to ask again it'll use the old profile from then on without any more hassle. That's just one screenshot to send people, we'll still have some users mess it up of course but most should be able to follow it. Fortunately most of the computer-illiterate people don't even understand what browsers are anyway and still use IE/Edge, so won't care about their old Firefox profile.

The tricky part will be writing a script to go change that line in the .ini file in every profile on the PC as part of the install package, but that's doable, just a pain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to force Firefox to open a link from the URL bar in a new tab, without using an addon? I was using an addon for this until this weekend, when it started getting in slapfights with facebook, and having to open a blank page to keep from overwriting whatever page I'm on is annoying.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Keyboard: Shift+Alt+Enter when the URL bar has focus (F6 to focus it at any time).
Mouse: When the typed address changes, the go arrow is displayed. Middle-click it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

Is there a way to force Firefox to open a link from the URL bar in a new tab, without using an addon? I was using an addon for this until this weekend, when it started getting in slapfights with facebook, and having to open a blank page to keep from overwriting whatever page I'm on is annoying.

Not sure I understand. Are you pasting in URLs in the same window or clicking links? Ctrl-click a link opens in new tab, but it doesn't always work because a click in a web app isn't always a new URL.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
On the subject of keeping track of lots and lots of related tabs, I gotta say Tree Style Tab is an absolute must. We all have widescreen monitors, now, anyway. Oh and you can just right-click a tab and choose to duplicate it with it. Doubly on subject.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

If it's something you're picking from the suggestions, highlight it with the keyboard and press alt+enter.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keyboard: Shift+Alt+Enter when the URL bar has focus (F6 to focus it at any time).
Mouse: When the typed address changes, the go arrow is displayed. Middle-click it.

You can also use Alt+D to focus the address bar. I had no idea about F6 but I never much liked using the F keys for anything, especially if you're on a laptop and need to hold down the actual Fn key too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, it's working properly on a mostly stock FF, but not my daily driver. Now I'm wondering which of my addons or bits of profile cruft is loving things up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sab669 posted:

You can also use Alt+D to focus the address bar. I had no idea about F6 but I never much liked using the F keys for anything, especially if you're on a laptop and need to hold down the actual Fn key too.

I've always been a Ctrl-L guy. Had no idea there were so many other shortcuts mapped to the same thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

We all have widescreen monitors, now, anyway.

I run my browser in a window approximating 4:3 dimensions. :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

On the subject of keeping track of lots and lots of related tabs, I gotta say Tree Style Tab is an absolute must. We all have widescreen monitors, now, anyway. Oh and you can just right-click a tab and choose to duplicate it with it. Doubly on subject.

I'll use tree-style if I have to, but I keep going back to multirow tabs. drat near every major Firefox update breaks it, but there's a Github for it which gets updated incredibly fast every time

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Knormal posted:

This turned out to work pretty well based on my initial testing, thanks. By changing this to 0 when you launch the new Firefox for the first time it brings up the profile list, which should only have the one existing profile in it. If you select that existing profile and tell Firefox not to ask again it'll use the old profile from then on without any more hassle. That's just one screenshot to send people, we'll still have some users mess it up of course but most should be able to follow it. Fortunately most of the computer-illiterate people don't even understand what browsers are anyway and still use IE/Edge, so won't care about their old Firefox profile.

The tricky part will be writing a script to go change that line in the .ini file in every profile on the PC as part of the install package, but that's doable, just a pain.

From what I read, Firefox will create a profile for each unique install location. The 32 bit version was installed in "Program Files (x86)". If you uninstall it and then install the 64 bit version, the new version will install to "Program Files" resulting in a new profile.

Two other possible solutions:

Don't uninstall the 32 bit version. Installing the 64 bit version should overwrite the 32 bit version in the same directory and then use the same profile according to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1558320

You can also try setting this GPO to disable the different profile behaviour. https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates#legacyprofiles

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unless you run Firefox with administrative privileges, it can't write anything to the Program Files folders (whether 32 or 64bit variants) - It's usually in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming - or sometimes ..\Local if the developers don't want the profile to transfer with AD/LDAP, if memory serves.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

isndl posted:

I run my browser in a window approximating 4:3 dimensions. :shrug:

I windows key - right arrow or left arrow to half size it then center it, I don't need 18+ inch lines of text.

I could also rotate my monitor to portrait for manga or shmups!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Applebees posted:

From what I read, Firefox will create a profile for each unique install location. The 32 bit version was installed in "Program Files (x86)". If you uninstall it and then install the 64 bit version, the new version will install to "Program Files" resulting in a new profile.

Two other possible solutions:

Don't uninstall the 32 bit version. Installing the 64 bit version should overwrite the 32 bit version in the same directory and then use the same profile according to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1558320

You can also try setting this GPO to disable the different profile behaviour. https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates#legacyprofiles
I never did try just installing over the 32-bit version because I'd read earlier that the 64-bit version would install alongside it, if they backed out of that I'll give that a try. Thanks. The GPO thing won't work for us because we manage Firefox with a profiles.json file, because our GPO admins are idiots are we involve them as little as possible. And for some reason the Mozilla devs made that legacy policy settings only work through GPO.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Unless you run Firefox with administrative privileges, it can't write anything to the Program Files folders (whether 32 or 64bit variants) - It's usually in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming - or sometimes ..\Local if the developers don't want the profile to transfer with AD/LDAP, if memory serves.
We install Firefox through SCCM with the System account, that won't be a problem in our environment.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone else confirm that as of Today, Netflix have started blocking the picture in picture feature?

It stopped working for me today.

Edit: now it’s working again, nevermind.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 15, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The blue icon wasn't appearing for me a few days ago, but if I pressed Ctrl Shift ] it would pop the picture out.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

wooger posted:

Can anyone else confirm that as of Today, Netflix have started blocking the picture in picture feature?

It stopped working for me today.

Edit: now it’s working again, nevermind.

Web sites shouldn't be able to block the behaviour. There are some heuristics Firefox uses that will make it not show like size and whether there is sound.

Firefox also has specific behaviour for a couple sites. It's supposed to be disabled on the Netflix browse menu you can see at https://github.com/mozilla-extensio...verrides.js#L32

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Applebees posted:

Web sites shouldn't be able to..
Given that webdevs have been trying everything in their power to control every part of web browsing for the better part of two decades, up to and including executing remote untrusted code, is it really that surprising that they want to be able to control this too?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'm surprised Google hasn't found a way to make YouTube incompatible with it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sab669 posted:

Yea I'm surprised Google hasn't found a way to make YouTube incompatible with it

It was a chrome feature for a while before it was a firefox feature. Google doesn't care how you watch youtubes as long as you're watching ads.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

It was a chrome feature for a while before it was a firefox feature. Google doesn't care how you watch youtubes as long as you're watching ads.

It currently is a feature of Chrome. If you play youtube video a new icon of a note and three lines shows up near your profile icon, inside is a button for popup player.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Unless you're on mobile.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Geemer posted:

Unless you're on mobile.

Then you can use Newpipe and not watch ads.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does that help with keeping a video running in the background without paying for red, or whatever they call it now, though?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lately, Firefox has been playing videos (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) at a crazy speed; any idea what's causing this? Seems random. I can fix it by messing with playback settings, but if I pause and replay, or even just go like 5 seconds forward/back, or change my spot in the video, the problem starts again and it is annoying

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Artelier posted:

Lately, Firefox has been playing videos (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) at a crazy speed; any idea what's causing this? Seems random. I can fix it by messing with playback settings, but if I pause and replay, or even just go like 5 seconds forward/back, or change my spot in the video, the problem starts again and it is annoying

Have you started smoking a lot more weed recently?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Artelier posted:

Try wiping the site data.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geemer posted:

Does that help with keeping a video running in the background without paying for red, or whatever they call it now, though?
Yes, NewPipe can do picture in picture or background play without a subscription or even being logged in.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, NewPipe can do picture in picture or background play without a subscription or even being logged in.

:eyepop:
I actually went and looked it up and dang that sounds good.

E: To clarify, I figured it was just some adblocking proxy thing like Blokada, not a full youtube client replacement.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 16, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Klyith posted:

And they’re unable to stop that right now on both desktop & mobile, provided you use the website.

They’ve made the ads so bad recently (midroll especially) that I just deleted the app and will deal with the slight clunkiness of mobile Safari.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geemer posted:

:eyepop:
I actually went and looked it up and dang that sounds good.

E: To clarify, I figured it was just some adblocking proxy thing like Blokada, not a full youtube client replacement.
It can be a bit clunky and it will break sometimes if youtube changes something. I actually recommend installing the F-Droid open source app store and installing NewPipe through that, because you will get update notifications for it.

I'll tolerate a lot of crap not to watch video ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

It can be a bit clunky and it will break sometimes if youtube changes something. I actually recommend installing the F-Droid open source app store and installing NewPipe through that, because you will get update notifications for it.

I'll tolerate a lot of crap not to watch video ads.

The app'll also generate its own update notifications if you download the app directly from them.