Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

There's more than three, though. There are twenty-some Hillsong churches in Australia alone. I have no idea what the Los Angeles branch espouses. Pratt has said that his church has helped people regardless of their sexual orientation the same way they helped him regardless of his marital status.

Other people have said otherwise. That is how all this started. Now either they are lying or rich white charismatic megastar Chris Pratt has the rules bent for him because he is rich and white. When the church was asked for comment they gave the lame "we WELCOME all people but don't affirm all livestyles." If you think that attitude isn't carried over to the people they help then you're a lot more confident than I in a Megachurch not being a horrifyingly abusive piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Other people have said otherwise. That is how all this started. Now either they are lying or rich white charismatic megastar Chris Pratt has the rules bent for him because he is rich and white. When the church was asked for comment they gave the lame "we WELCOME all people but don't affirm all livestyles." If you think that attitude isn't carried over to the people they help then you're a lot more confident than I in a Megachurch not being a horrifyingly abusive piece of poo poo.

I don't think anyone's lying, but I thought this started because of the views the church's founders back in Australia espoused. Do I think the Hillsong organization as a whole is a piece of poo poo? Of course. As I said, I think most churches are pieces of poo poo on the macro scale. But like you yourself said, sometimes individual churches/parishes can be exceptions. Do I think for absolutely certain that the LA branch of Hillsong is such an exception? No. Do I think it's possible? Sure, maybe. Especially if hiding their anti-LGBTQ beliefs will make it easier to attract more high-profile celebrities like Pratt.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would be extremely not surprised if the way Hillsong presents itself to rich celebrities is very, very different and more seemingly tolerant than their actual beliefs and positions.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The answer is that Pratt and Colbert are both enemies of the people.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly I don't think you're even wrong about the #ChrisPrattisOver party being mostly motivated because he's an ultra normie jock who plays characters people don't like. He's probably incidentally done messed up stuff but so has everyone in Hollywood at this point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I miss fat pratt, Hollywood chiseled pratt just doesn’t do it for me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I would be extremely not surprised if the way Hillsong presents itself to rich celebrities is very, very different and more seemingly tolerant than their actual beliefs and positions.

See also Scientology.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also Scientology.

Yeah Hillsong LA and it’s ilk are a weird mixture of Christian trappings with the underpinnings of scientology. The priests are clearly in it for the money and proximity to fame.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Animation 2020: Arguing About Catholicism

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/slimyhipster/status/1282404274266206208?s=19

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Birrrrrrrrrrd titties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's always a fun discussion. I feel like The Lion King kinda cheated in being based around a species that already has well known, distinctive sexual dimorphism that happens to fit human ideas.

Thing is, Disney has a history of being better about this than most. 101 Dalmatians comes to mind, and also one of the times you remember Disney is so goddamn old that they have stuff that used blue coded as feminine. (Perdita's collar)

Also comes up that Pokemon tends to get dimorphism more accurate to nature, complete with the male avians being the pretty ones. (Mind you, they gave female Pikachu a heart shaped tail)

Also, I'm not the only one who thought of Tuca and Bertie and one episode has Tuca literally use a beak-shrinking cream when preparing for a date.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least for that kind of joke, try to determine what the birds would find sexy and cater to that - surely a longer beak would be appealing because they could reach into deeper crevices for foraging? The Croods had some funny jokes about caveman hygiene and beauty standards, like everyone having to sharpen their teeth before bed, "bath time" being just beating the excess dust and crap off them after a long day, also the cute exchange when Guy has to catch Eep at some point: "You're... really heavy..." "Really? Thankyou! :)" and her basically acting like a stressed cat when she's barred from a hunt due to being grounded.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 13, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Me: trying desperately to get to sleep so I can get up in six hours to work my rear end off again

My brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLHe9WOI9XQ&t=120s

There's an image of "stop doing this to demons" sort of thing too :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 13, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

At least for that kind of joke, try to determine what the birds would find sexy and cater to that - surely a longer beak would be appealing because they could reach into deeper crevices for foraging? The Croods had some funny jokes about caveman hygiene and beauty standards, like everyone having to sharpen their teeth before bed, "bath time" being just beating the excess dust and crap off them after a long day, also the cute exchange when Guy has to catch Eep at some point: "You're... really heavy..." "Really? Thankyou! :)" and her basically acting like a stressed cat when she's barred from a hunt due to being grounded.

HTTYD3 came up and reminded it's actually a plot point that Hiccup tries to help Toothless get together with the Light Fury but has no idea how they might actually communicate. (You'd think the viking pioneer of communication with dragons would be better at it, but then again there's also the tie-in to how he's also awful at communicating romantically with Astrid)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I almost fell out of my chair when I noticed that the female's feet are shaped as heels :xd:

I don't think I've ever seen a bird animated with feet like that

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:nws:https://www.oglaf.com/dimorphism/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The WALL-E jokes seem too obvious and were probably made before it came out with that image, I bet.

What about when the female of the species is the more powerful and dangerous one? X-COM's Mutons come to mind.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I finally sat down and watched Onward, and I thought it was really fun and felt like a more return to form for Pixar.

It does absolutely nothing new or break any boundries or anything but I wasn't expecting it to and visually it's real good. Of course I'm also totally a sucker for the Pixar thing of making a fantastical thing into a mundane thing, like how they'll make a world full of monsters be a mundane factory with blue collar workers or whatever. This movie totally takes a magical fantasy world and makes everything modern and mundane (until the adventure starts of course). I know people are starting to get bored of that but I always love that.

I could've done without the cop being like, a step dad to the main characters but there's one specific scene that I guess sort of hinged on that so it's whatever.

I'm really glad Ian didn't get to meet his dad, only Barley did. I was worried they were going to try and go for an ending where everyone gets what they want at the last minute, and I'm glad that wasn't the case. It would've taken away a lot from that journey if Ian had actually met his dad

The pawn shop lizard gremlin thing was awesome, though it did make me wish they had gone a little bit crazier with the various monsters that inhabit the world. There's only like 5 or 6 and each species looks basically the same and they definitely played it safe there. There's probably a ton of concept art for the creatures that never got to make it to the actual film.

Oh yeah and the van sacrifice was really good

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 15, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really liked it too and was bummed out when the usual naysayers were making GBS threads on it itt a few months ago

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it's fine. It's basically an '80s "fantasy in real life" movie. I do question if the setting was really necessary, as it would be almost the same movie if it were just humans discovering that their D&D stuff is real. It's a little bit of that Good Dinosaur thing where they went through more trouble than they needed to establish the setting. I think this wouldn't be a problem at all if they had a little more fun with it, but it felt sort of obligatory.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Vivziepop and the Hazbin Hotel crew have just popped up with a new music video starring the spider...whore...guy? and a one-eyed demoness with a fetish for making things go explodey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulfeM8JGq7s

:derp:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh boy, hand drawn independent animation! I'm glad that exists, let me go take my cursor right now and click...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doodles posted:

Vivziepop and the Hazbin Hotel crew have just popped up with a new music video starring the spider...whore...guy? and a one-eyed demoness with a fetish for making things go explodey.

The politest thing I can say about this is I like what I like and this isn't what I like.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean I will say it, Vizzie's a hell of an animator. I just always know when this happens because unfortunate things appear on my Tumblr Dash.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The WALL-E jokes seem too obvious and were probably made before it came out with that image, I bet.
Eh, say what you will about Wall-E ascribing gender roles to sexless machines, but I always thought Eve's design was quite good in that you can project femininity onto her without giving her a skirt and literal boobs. Effectively anthropomorphizing mundane objects in engaging yet non-obvious ways through design and animation was always one of earlier Pixar's biggest draws and why they used to reign head and shoulders above any opposition.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
It’s technically proficient, and I love me some indy animation.

But I’m getting the strong vibe that Vivziepop is working out some issues and is making anyone who clicks “play” part of her group session.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
--though it's really quite egregious how you can tell how much Vizzie and/or team cares about the cyclops than the spider tramp, based on animation quality alone. Also too bad because I feel like the cyclops design actually has something to it, and Cheeri Bomb is I don't know... a bit clever in a Hot Topic nostalgic way? I could see that on a goth shirt in 2004.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That was good, and I’m all here for indie animation being horny on main in 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Animation was horny in a cornfield before it ever made it to the big city, this is 0 change.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doodles posted:

This is extraordinarily horny. Not necessarily arousing, but definitely horny as hell.

I say this not as a compliment or an insult, but merely as a statement of fact.

Barudak posted:

Animation was horny in a cornfield before it ever made it to the big city, this is 0 change.

I am well aware of this, but even by horny animators standards this is horny.

Hedrigall posted:

That was good, and I’m all here for indie animation being horny on main in 2020

I'm not opposed to it, I just want to be clear that this is next level horny.

Like, baseline animation already gets pretty darn horny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IctxaCPqw
But this video is to go one level beyond.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 20, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I looked up spider tramp's name because I was thinking, "but how the gently caress do you cosplay this?" because in non-pandemic years I take that as a bit of a measure of marketability for a "whatever this is", but egg on my face because some people have done some really good cosplays that frankly look a lot better than the real designs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Never underestimate cosplayers.

With enough passion and artistry ANY design, no matter how seemingly ridiculous or implausible, can be brought to life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

=Naking something that 'can't be done' is just encouragement to figure out a way to do it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Never underestimate cosplayers.

With enough passion and artistry ANY design, no matter how seemingly ridiculous or implausible, can be brought to life.

I cosplayed back in 2004, very briefly (literally three costumes I think ever), and it does seem to be that there are literally much better materials available now and just generally a lot more costuming know-how.

It used to be you'd have to go to insane lengths to do even something as simple as colored hair, because outside of crappy Halloween wigs, you weren't going to find extreme colors or lengths.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

=Naking something that 'can't be done' is just encouragement to figure out a way to do it.

drat straight.

Pick posted:

I cosplayed back in 2004, very briefly (literally three costumes I think ever), and it does seem to be that there are literally much better materials available now and just generally a lot more costuming know-how.

It used to be you'd have to go to insane lengths to do even something as simple as colored hair, because outside of crappy Halloween wigs, you weren't going to find extreme colors or lengths.

Now-a-days it's a lot easier to A) order anything you need online now (and do it surprisingly cheap if you buy at the right time and place) and B) share information about make-up/sewing/hair/whatever so you don't need to figure everything out on your own.

For the record, I don't cosplay, I just respect the art of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For the record, I don't cosplay, I just respect the art of it.
Hell that Yaya Whatever chick has a whole line of moldable EVA FOAM poo poo at Joann Craft stores.

Need pre-textured dragon scales? How bout a big rear end sheet for your sexy warrior bustier? Done.

Costuming in general has hit a weird point where materials, printing and even electronics are cheap enough to make your kids' SpiderStark suit light up, have a really nice pattern to it, and come pre-filled with puffy muscles.

Meanwhile I'm here remembering how a thin plastic smock and a razor sharp uncomfortable mask held together with elastic made me He-Man...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 20, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like that music video would work a lot better with a different song. Though might just be that the autotuned pop is way too overdone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean the song itself being really unremarkable doesn't do the animation any favors, no.