Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From the look of IMDB, they've both been in plenty, for some typical TV actor careers, although reality spoilers: Katsulas died in 2006, so that's a reason why he hasn't been in that much after B5. An uncomfortable amount of the cast of Babylon 5 is dead, especially compared to an older show like Star Trek Next Generation, so back in the TVIV thread, there's talk of a B5 curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The curse talk is such vacuous bollocks. B5 was made with a cast largely comprised of people in their 40s, with addictions or underlying conditions. A quarter of a century ago. It's no wonder some of them are dead.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The curse talk is such vacuous bollocks. B5 was made with a cast largely comprised of people in their 40s, with addictions or underlying conditions. A quarter of a century ago. It's no wonder some of them are dead.

Gosh, it's good you're here to be a total buzzkill.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah IIRC 60 is the magic age for Babylon 5 cast members :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Horizon Burning posted:

Gosh, it's good you're here to be a total buzzkill.

I'm sorry if I pissed in your porridge. :(

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For comparison, Star Trek TOS was made with a cast largely comprised of people in their 30s, half a century ago. It's no wonder some of them are alive.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK! Part 2 of my writeup of my binge watch.
Thank you for enlightening me on the age of an average Minbari and the bit about telepaths :)

1-20 Babylon Squared

EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Holy moly. Already? We are finding out about Babylon 4 this soon? I thought it would be one of the biggest hooks of the show!

This episode was fantastic in all ways and every way. I would even go so far as to say it is the A+ best episode of the first season (though Chrysalis is a very close contender). There was so much cool sci-fi going on in this episode and questions galore being raised with no answers!

The opening made Lady VG and I laugh a lot. I enjoy the fact that Sinclair is not always super serious and can goof around.

Babylon 4 looks awesome. Is it bigger? It looks it. It is also a different design and green! I would love to see what the other three looked like. Were they all tailored based stations? I never really thought about them looking different. I sort of expected it to be the same as B5 but with a 4 on the end instead. The spikes around the mid make it look a lot 'angrier' than B5.

I feel really sorry for all those people aboard - having random time skips. Sinclair's jump ahead also felt quite important but I am not 100% sure why. I wonder what is happening there. It looked like B5's down below but I could not be certain.

Zathras is a pretty great character and I am enamoured with his odd speech pattern. He was another mysterious character and what on earth kind of race could just take a space station from one time and move it to another? I think Babylon 4 must be bigger than Babylon 5 if this race has decided to take 4 instead.

I suspected that a future Sinclair was inside that spacesuit when Zathras said he was willing to sacrifice himself for others. That is the same thing Delenn said about Sinclair in the episode previous. AND again Sinclair did so when Zathras was trapped under that pole, he stayed to try and help. Sinclair is a very good dude! That reveal at the end of old battered Sinclair talking about trying to warn of an oncoming war and them not listening was actually quite sad. I wonder why he could not just tell his past self then and there.

Is it because time is fixed in the Babylon 5 universe? I say fixed in that the prophecy that the Centauri lady had all those episodes ago came absolutely true and there are many prophecies floating around which I expect will probably get expanded upon.

It also sounded like Delenn's voice to future Sinclair too. I am glad that whatever happened they are still friends. It also must be after whatever happened in that future fight scene where he had to leave Garibaldi because he looked way older in the spacesuit reveal scene.

Up to this episode I was not sure what the overarching story of the show was going to be. I thought it might be to do with the mystery of Babylons 1-4 - seems weird that all got destroyed and only the fifth one survived. I thought maybe it would be something to do with a simmering tension between the Centauri wanting to be respected and the head of the universe and sabotage had come into play. That there might be a cold war of sorts between the governments and battling over tech and resources to be number one.

This episode put an end to that. My current thought is that there is going to be some war in the future and it probably has something to do with Morden (got it right this time!) and that weird vessel that obliterated the Centauri who was foreseen to have died in the shadows. However I know there are four seasons to go so it obviously cannot be that simple and I do not expect it to be! I wonder if that weird vessel is going to try to get the tech from the planet beneath B5? Or maybe they are part of the race that made the tech and have similar stuff onboard the ship. They certainly have some strong power to just take out that Centauri ship so fast.

I also really liked Delenn's visit the to grey council. What is this prophecy that could end a war? It must be huge. Maybe Sinclair is the one who can lead an alliance and stop that weird vessel? Maybe he has to sacrifice himself to do so at the right time? I have not got the foggiest.

It is a shame she is off the grey council but she always struck me as a sort of trailblazer. The little trophy she got seemed familiar. I cannot quite place it. Have we seen it before?

Finally the last lines of the episode:

"Did the flying dutchman ever reach home?"
"No."

Wonderful capstone to a great episode. Will Babylon4 be ok jumping to Zathras' year? No idea. Maybe future Sinclair is stuck out on it and was trying to help but trapped in an anomaly? I only ever have more questions as per usual.

1-21 Quality of Mercy

After the previous high I am fine with a more down to earth and subdued episode. This was certainly much more self contained and had two very good story lines. The healing machine/serial killer plot was acted out well allround. As soon as I saw Boggs Diamond in the dock I assumed whatever he did must have been pretty bad, which is a shame as Mark Colston is a good actor and I feel bad he always seems to be playing the worst guys even though he does it so well!

I suspected that the machine would give some of the life force of the donor to the recipent but would never have guessed it was a capital punishment machine. That was a very cool reveal. Doctor's Rosen's response to using it to stop Mueller was also fantastic writing:

"I did the necessary thing which is not always the right thing." Man that was a cracking bit of dialogue about the nature of human life and whether we are correct to take it. I have really grown to look forward to B5 examining morality and grey issues through the lens of its ambassadors and it is great to have one of the human characters do it too. She definitely saved more lives than if she had not done so, but it was still taking a human life and via a doctor so her wrestling with it makes sense and I am glad time was devoted to going over it. Actively taking a life is a big big deal.

I was also very happy to see Ivanova want to help Franklin with his free clinic. I was so worried she was going to put and end to it, then I remember that is only something Garibaldi would do.

The biggest highlight of the episode was getting to see Londo and Lennier bond! Goodness those two make a superb pair. Londo definitely underestimated Lennier (is he a warrior caste who has switched to the religious caste? Or are Minbari just super buff battlers who could take on everyone? At least this would explain why Earth and Humanity was getting absolutely kicked by them!)

They played off each other fantastically and he was a joy to watch them interact in Londo's favourite haunts.

I will admit to being surprised to see that same 'feeder sucker' come from Londo's clothes to cheat at cards. Even more surprised to then find out that he was cheating with his penis! Good grief! Haha

I wonder if we will see Lennier (or any Minbari) drink alcohol and get into a rage? If Lennier could take down that table while sober and in control then I would worry for the destruction a psychotic Minbari could wreak! It certainly fits his character that he would cover for Londo at the end too. He is a good guy. I do not think him naive though, I think of him as more accepting and good natured.

1-22 Chrysalis

Goodness this was a properly packed, dense and layered episode. It was kind of weird this was only 40 odd minutes as it felt longer! So much happened in here, so much change, so much story propelling that I was so glad I had already bought season 2. To end the first season with something as in universe changing as this is my complete jam.

We have a dead president of earth.
We have Delenn becoming a coccoon.
We have a whole Narn base wiped clean from existence.
We have Londo partnering up with Morden and his mysterious invisibility predators and owing them a favour.
We have Garibaldi nearly dead.
We have Kosh being cryptic.
We have Sinclair proposing marriage.

Goodness. What is going to happen on earth? Is it going to become more warfare like now? If I recall president Santiago believed in the Babylon project more than others so with him out of the way will the station be affected?

What is happening to Delenn? I do not think she mentioned what, just that it was something Kosh gave her the go ahead on. Also I kept willing Sinclair to go and talk to her! I want to find out about those missing hours and she said she would tell him but he got there too late! Noooo! I need to know! hahah.

That Narn base being wiped out by Morden and his stange vessel is not good news. That whole bit made me worried for future relations between Narn and Centauri (already strained). Londo seemed genuinely regretful about it, but it was too late. If he had cared more about how he got the Eye perhaps he would have realised Morden probably meant a much more serious way of stopping the Narn outpost. Now I feel bad for hoping Londo got a bit of revenge. I did not want him to have effectively sold his soul. Alas, when plotting revenge it is best to dig 2 graves.

G'Kar (finally! He is back after an eight episode absence!) sold every moment he was in. The smugness at the start, the despair after learning of the loss, the resolve upon realising there was something else out there and the determination on his little video to Na'toth. G'Kar needs to be in more please!

Garibaldi seems like he brought this on himself. Why could he not just shout into his communicator to Sinclair that there was a plot. The last guy who died in his arms died before he could give it up. How could Garibaldi trust anyone in that situation. Very odd. I wish he was not so much of a cop all the time.

Kosh saying yes to Delenn and nothing else. What on earth is this about? I honestly hope we have way more Kosh next season. Or maybe it is because they are being so coy with them that I want more and learning too much will ruin the mystery. It is a tough tightrope walk to juggle something like that.

"And so it begins."

It feels like a ton of time has passed on the ship between the first episode and this one. Even though I binge watched a couple of times, it really does feel as though a lot of life and story has happened rather than a load of events which could all happen over the course of a few weeks that other shows often unfortunately give off. The station has grown and changed and our understanding with it. Real growth and development that feels earned and represented. I have come to really respect this show. I had always heard about the writing as being the strength and the fact that it had a full idea for a start to finish.

One of the things I feel about most TV shows is that there is usually an idea for a season or two, but nothing concrete for an end point in case they get too famous. So almost every tv show runs out of steam and ends unsatisfactorily. I could probably could on one hand the amount of shows I think have great endings that thematically work with everything we have seen before. I also think 4 to 5 years is probably the best length of time for most shows to last. 22 episodes times 5 is a lot of TV to try to remain consistent and not emphasize characters traits over the expense of story. It is truly tough so four to five years gives you more than enough time to explore and hopefully end satisfactorily.

Knowing this is a show with a definite end to reach that has been designed from the get go enhances my enjoyment considerably. I like that I am going to get questions answered rather than lose out information because of a bad ratings cancellation, or some meddling exec changing it up midway or something similar.

Season one alone has really earned the show a high place in my favourite tv of all time and upon learning that most people think the show is strongest past this does make my hype meter rise, but tempered because I try to remain even about it :)

Finally character rankings! I saw others do it, so I am going to as well. This is at the end of Season 1.

(I have watched Season 2 episode 1 and I think I am going to wait until I have seen two more to write about Season 2.)

I will spoiler my ranking in order not to influence any other blind watchers.

1. Londo Mollari
2. Jeffrey Sinclair
3. Delenn
4. G'Kar
5. Lennier

6. Na'toth
6. Vir Cotto

7. Dr Franklin
7. Susan Ivanova

8. Tahlia Winters
9. Michael Garibaldi

Londo stands head and shoulders above all other actors and it does not feel like a competition to me. He embodies his character in every look, every syllable, every movement. I want to know everything about him, I feel for him, I laugh with him and I get sad with him. He truly is the star that is shining brightest. Where he goes from here? I have no idea. I wonder if he will get in too deep with Morden and just keep going. I wonder if he will tell G'kar what happened. I wonder if he will get a redemption of sorts - this I do not mind because the show does not seem to be one where there have easy fixes to bad choices. Consequences matter as do the paths they walk down. I just know I want more Londo!

Sinclair. This one hurts because I have seen the first episode of season two and I was confused and Lady VG looked it up for me. (She is really good at doing stuff like that). I loved the cadence of his voice a lot, he always seemed commanding and respectful at the same time. I loved how he put others first and it was shown constantly. Sinclair was a really good man. I now have no idea how that bit of Babylon Squared fits into the story anymore. It bums me out a ton. :( There was so much I wanted to know and I just hope it gets revealed.

Delenn is very mischevious and I now get the feeling she is looking at a bigger picture the likes of only Kosh can see. She seems very open and enlightened but much like her race, she has two distinct sides working alongside each other. Delenn is no pushover and not in any way one that could be taken advantage of. I like her and Sinclair's relationship because she knows the truth and he does not and having it colour their interactions for the audience always made me eager to see how she contained it.

OK! Another long long post. I will be back with more soon enough because as they say, it begins. :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A splendid write up, thank you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sinclair is exactly who he needs to be.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am loving the recent write ups. More. Mooore.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
All of your posts reacting to one of my favorite series is a rare ray of sunshine in these times. Please view the episodes at the pace that's best for you folks, but be aware that we all really, really appreciate your postings.

And yes, while season 1 was already good, it had some issues stemming from being the first season of the show. B5 really hits it's stride in the second season, you are right to look forward to that :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I found Babylon Squared was when it hit its stride and then just went. Enjoy the ride.

I also found that the consistency and quality hit a new epoch when JMS wrote every script for dozens of episodes in a row.

No spoilers in my opinion with that, just context that if you like what you have seen so far, you will not be disappointed with how the series unfolds.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thoughts about a character up through end of S1 -

I think us starting the show up in the middle of the U.S. rioting may have colored Garibaldi for us in a way that isn't completely fair. He acts like every cop from television ever, and actually the ones people tended to like a lot in other shows. I bet live S1 watchers probably ranked him way higher than we all did.

also VG:

G'Kar > Londo. I will see you in the mutai.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TheAardvark posted:

Thoughts about a character up through end of S1 -

I think us starting the show up in the middle of the U.S. rioting may have colored Garibaldi for us in a way that isn't completely fair. He acts like every cop from television ever, and actually the ones people tended to like a lot in other shows. I bet live S1 watchers probably ranked him way higher than we all did.

I would agree with this. As someone who watched it ages ago, Garibaldi is probably third on my favorite characters list.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Grand Fromage posted:

I would agree with this. As someone who watched it ages ago, Garibaldi is probably third on my favorite characters list.

In a similar vein, it was interesting for me reading VG's writeups because I knew about Michael O'Hare's departure from the start, so it was hard for me to get attached to him.

I loved his voice too, I think I would ranked him much higher if I had come in blind to that one thing. One of the dangers of watching a show this old, but thankfully the only spoiler I know/knew.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, I need to get watching again.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2E13 - Hunter, Prey

Okay, I'm mostly inured to the bad CGI at this point, but I actually LOL'd at beginning when Sheridan and Ivanova are looking at the sub-PSX level Vorlon ship and call it "beautiful"

I like the sound of Sheridan making it his mission to learn about the Vorlon. I'm right there with you.

Kosh... Conversing with the ship? Interesting.

Always happy for more of Kosh's wisdom. I'm going to read in to it a lot and say there's some kind of big overall flow to the hyperspace/psychic stream that he's tuned in to.

Wtf Garibaldi breaking out his strange tech genius side to add a single frame of text to a video call.

Lol at the random toughs taking the doctor

Those energy bars sure seem tough to get open.

More weird Kosh poo poo. I still haven't forgotten the pilot and Kosh getting poisoned in the "hand", pretty long time for something like that to remain a mystery.

Wow Garibaldi firing warning shots off in all directions one handed what a badass am I right.

Nice of Kosh to help out, and of course, nice to learn more about the Vorlon.

Good episode for a human-centric plot, which haven't had a great track record so far.

I know I'm pushing ahead of the other blind watchers but I really want to watch this show. Let me know if you would prefer I not and I'll save my notes and post them later, but drat it I am watching this show! It's so good! I need a distraction!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To your first point, the pixels being bigger than the actors' heads is pretty funny.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That scene just cries out for an HD re-master. There are some re-rendered scenes floating around on YouTube from people who have copies of the original assets, but don't look for them, they're all spoilers for the next season's worth of episodes. Suffice to say, just a re-render at a higher resolution would be gorgeous, and a remaster with new textures would be amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheAardvark posted:

Okay, I'm mostly inured to the bad CGI at this point, but I actually LOL'd at beginning when Sheridan and Ivanova are looking at the sub-PSX level Vorlon ship and call it "beautiful"

It really was quite impressive at the time. Also, the PSX was released right around the original air date of season 2, so you're not too far off.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

I know I'm pushing ahead of the other blind watchers but I really want to watch this show. Let me know if you would prefer I not and I'll save my notes and post them later, but drat it I am watching this show! It's so good! I need a distraction!

Please keep going. As I said, this is your thread and I am tagging along. My method is to write my long post, read up to where you and The_Doctor are, see what similar things we thought, mark thread read to that point and watch some more.

Occasionally I forgot that I posted after you and have come to a long spoiler post, read it for some information and then gone 'oh, I wrote that' but my little system is working fine for me and I like having things to reach ahead of me. :) Speaking of which I am about to watch 2x04 (possibly today) but have another three write ups that I want to post at some point too. Maybe if I reach you all I will do single ones again, but the show is so good that it is tough to just watch one episode.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think everyone should just push ahead to where they want, as long as it's spoiler blocked it's fine imo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I don't really have anything to say, except that it's a real joy seeing people's first-time reactions. B5 is an amazing show and I think it gets overlooked because people who haven't see it are too quick to dismiss it as a cheap-looking Star Trek knockoff when it's so much better than that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So long as you all leave the season/episode numbers unspoiled, while spoiling the descriptions/reactions, I think you’re all good in perpetuity and don’t have to work about catching or syncing up with each other.

Watching new viewers come into the show on their own is great, and walls of black spoiler text don’t phase previous viewers in the slightest.

Have at it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Honestly, I don't like writing the kind of long thoughts the other posters are doing. I have a lot of the same thoughts but I watch most of my TV with people around so I just stick to what's going on on the screen.

I'm gonna resume my watching at my own schedule and probably watch way ahead of them, but I will spoiler it all appopriately. I was a couple episodes behind The_Doctor and I absolutely loved reading their posts. (The_Doctor, preferred pronouns?)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

Honestly, I don't like writing the kind of long thoughts the other posters are doing. I have a lot of the same thoughts but I watch most of my TV with people around so I just stick to what's going on on the screen.

I'm gonna resume my watching at my own schedule and probably watch way ahead of them, but I will spoiler it all appopriately. I was a couple episodes behind The_Doctor and I absolutely loved reading their posts. (The_Doctor, preferred pronouns?)
Don’t stop posting, brief posts are great! Especially in conjunction with the longer form posts from the others.

This show is one of the earliest and best examples that combine procedural and serial plots. Pontifications of where things are going globally are just as good as focusing on specific scenes and interactions.

So long as you spoiler and label properly, post all your thoughts on things as they happen. TVIV will loving love every word of it and in a few weeks you’ll be able to join us.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
S2ep11 - All Alone in the Night

“You have always been here.”

Firstly, the episode’s title is my favourite line from the opening. It’s so evocative.

Lennier being wilfully dumb/obtuse in this opening scene, like there’s clearly not a problem. Also, he’s a little... cloying? Delenn seems to appreciate his blind loyalty, but knock it down a notch, eh?

Sheridan gleefully investigating mysterious disappearances is my favourite thing. Obviously he then immediately jinxes himself by saying “what could go wrong?” :doh: His subsequent abduction is very reminiscent of Fire in the Sky, especially with the uncomfortable rubber restraints, and fits firmly in the mid 90s alien conspiracy/X-Files renaissance, especially with them being legit Greys. Calling them the Striebs (a very clunky Whitley ‘Communion’ Streiber reference) was unnecessary gravy on the cake. That said, the ship’s set looks incredibly cheap, as do the Greys in their robes. The torture device that came from the ceiling reminded me of the Cyber-conversion unit from Doctor Who's 'Age of Steel', spinning blades and all, but this predates that by about 11 years. Does Sheridan now have an implant? :ohdear:

What was the point of the abduction, arc-wise? Is it just a plot of the week, or part of the bigger picture? It doesn’t add anything to the story, just seeming to be a simple story of ‘Sheridan got abducted! Oh, Delenn knows who they are, and now he’s back again.’ It’s very... so what? Or was it all to tie into Sheridan’s dream/vision? A reason for the captain to be away in a stressful situation so that they could show Kosh telepathically connecting with Sheridan? He was told to watch the Vorlon, good to know the Vorlon is also watching him. Sheridan in a Psi-corps uniform (for half a second) was an interesting look. Who was the veiled woman behind him? Was that Ivanova?

This episode raises questions about how the various races communicate. Sheridan and the Narn seem to be able to talk just fine (although there was also miming), while with the Drazi (I think?), he was saying random phrases in another language? It all muddied the waters on how it works.

Minbari politics have been vague so far, so it’s interesting to learn their culture is made of 3 castes; Religious, warrior, and worker. I don’t think the worker caste has been mentioned before now, but it makes sense with a council of 9 members. The power imbalance putting them on a more military footing is some not great timing considering the Narn and Centauri are back at war, and Earth is heading in that direction too. The rest of the Grey Council seem perfectly fine with Neroon’s xenophobic rhetoric, which is rather telling of them. Who approved him, anyway?

Finally, it’s nice to know that the B5 crew aren’t alone in their critical eye of what’s happening on Earth. General Hague’s reveal that there are people at all levels of Earthforce/Gov who have the same point of view that there is something rotten at the heart of government gives some small comfort. B5’s advantage here is that they’re in neutral territory a long way from Earth and backed by the other alien governments, making them a very useful Casablanca in all this. The crew can definitely derive some small solace that they are not quite all alone in the night.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheAardvark posted:

I like your short posts a lot, although I also love The_Doctor's longer posts (so much so I copied his format for my Stargate posts. Although mine are way longer than his. Probably TOO long since I decided to summarize the episodes as I go in an SFDebris kind of style...)

Having both quicker reactions and longer more thought-out takes just makes for double the fun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And my pronouns are he/him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The_Doctor posted:

Was that Ivanova?

Yes.

quote:

This episode raises questions about how the various races communicate. Sheridan and the Narn seem to be able to talk just fine (although there was also miming), while with the Drazi (I think?), he was saying random phrases in another language? It all muddied the waters on how it works.

The convention is that everyone who spends any time near the station speaks English. There's probably some in-universe justification for it, but really that's just because it's an American TV show. If there's a shot with a group of aliens who would all speak another language, you can assume that they're speaking some other language and that it's just being presented in English for the convenience of the viewers.

Since not everyone in the galaxy is a regular on B5, people who spend time in space elsewhere tend to pick up at least a few words in other languages for whatever business they're on. Sheridan was a starship captain, and it's plausible that he picked up a bit of the Drazi and Narn languages during that time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There is also a weird inter racial agreement to measure time in earth years

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

There is also a weird inter racial agreement to measure time in earth years

As the humans say,

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As the humans say,

Absence makes the nose grow longer.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TheAardvark posted:

S2E13 - Hunter, Prey

sub-PSX level Vorlon ship and call it "beautiful"

I did a comparison and its on same level, or even a bit better with shapes. Fite me but it is beautiful.

TheAardvark posted:

Keep at your own pace and post. Don't leave your notes 'for later', please

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

ultrafilter posted:

Yes.

The convention is that everyone who spends any time near the station speaks English. There's probably some in-universe justification for it, but really that's just because it's an American TV show. If there's a shot with a group of aliens who would all speak another language, you can assume that they're speaking some other language and that it's just being presented in English for the convenience of the viewers.

Since not everyone in the galaxy is a regular on B5, people who spend time in space elsewhere tend to pick up at least a few words in other languages for whatever business they're on. Sheridan was a starship captain, and it's plausible that he picked up a bit of the Drazi and Narn languages during that time.

Its kinda funny, since english is a sortof a european pidgin ( at this point world wide), that it kinda becomes a alien lingua franca.though i image the narn and centauri throw f bombs at each other in centauri.centaurian?centaurianese?

Also please everyone :justpost:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

though i image the narn and centauri throw f bombs at each other in centauri.centaurian?centaurianese?

I'd say that they do it in their respective languages with the pun point being the fact that both centauri and narn know each other's languages, know that other party understands what they said but refuse to acknowledge the fact of knowing

ps
or worse, in narnese. Point being the centauri are of such low expectations of narns that they think no narn speaks or able to understand a second language. Fits centaurian decadent arrogance

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 13, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2E14 - There All the Honor Lies

Hell yes Babylon 5 merchandising.

First time we've seen Lennier in a while.

drat, Delenn dealing with more consequences of her transformation.

I want a "Narn figurine"!

I was wondering when they'd send Sheridan a lawyer.

Interesting plot here. I mean, presumably it's a Minbari warrior caste frame job to get rid of Sheridan.. the "Minbari never lie" thing makes it all pretty wild.

"One moment of perfect beauty"

Wtf is going in here? Gregorian chanting monks that live in the walls of Babylon 5?

Vir showing once again how principled he is. Oh gently caress, they're trying to steal Vir's job! gently caress that!

Lmao at the Londo figurine

Lennier with the cross arm judo chop. Lennier is a pretty manipulative dude. He's kind of scary.

Hell yes Londo, and lol at him inviting his whole family out to B5.

Babearlon 5 oh Lord. LMAO HE SPACED IT

Good episode, some nice underhanded dealing stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheAardvark posted:

S2E14 - There All the Honor Lies

Babearlon 5 oh Lord. LMAO HE SPACED IT

A completely-unrelated-to-B5 note on this, but still spoilery for 2X14:

At the time S2 of B5 was filming, Billy Mumy and Peter David had a kids SF show of their own in production. In one episode of that show, the characters find Ba-Bear-Lon 5 floating in space and one of them asks "What kind of dope would toss a perfectly good bear into space?" In case you're thinking the answer is "Sheridan Bearkiller": the bear was originally a gift to JMS from Peter David's wife, and the JS initials actually stand for "Joe Straczynski". He spaced it because he hates cutesy stuffed toys.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I still think it should have been Bear-ba-lon 5.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Doctor Zero posted:

I still think it should have been Bear-ba-lon 5.

:colbert:

I had the same thought. It rolls off the tongue so much better...