Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm watching through every disney animation studios movie and then I'll do pixar

I've seen most of them before but it's cool to finally watch the ones I missed. And I've been reading up on the history of their production along the way so it's been really interesting, even for the bad ones. And there are some stinkers in there for sure. Been a really nice ongoing quarantine project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I also watched Hamilton going in blind and thought it was just ok

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Chairman Capone posted:

That's kind of surprising about Disney + barely doing better than Quibi on retaining free trial people.

Conversion rate is somewhat of a meaningless statistic. The meaningful statistic would be "Number of people who tried it + conversion rate". For instance if literally every single person on the planet tried it and it had an 11% conversion rate D+ would be the most successful streaming service in the world. Conversely if it did like 10 Million AND had a 11% conversion rate? It'd be a massive failure. I could see people that just jumped on for Mando or whatever their one thing is and hosed off being real real high.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for the Palm Springs rec, it was a really good movie!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mulva posted:

Conversion rate is somewhat of a meaningless statistic. The meaningful statistic would be "Number of people who tried it + conversion rate". For instance if literally every single person on the planet tried it and it had an 11% conversion rate D+ would be the most successful streaming service in the world. Conversely if it did like 10 Million AND had a 11% conversion rate? It'd be a massive failure. I could see people that just jumped on for Mando or whatever their one thing is and hosed off being real real high.

Yeah, I'm guessing way more people signed up for the free trial of Disney+ in the first week than for Quibi. So those numbers probably aren't as close as they seem.

Which like, Disney still might have bad conversion numbers. But comparing it to Quibi probably doesn't mean much.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Weren't people paying for like 3 years of Disney Plus in advance. lol people got suckered by a Ron Popeil huckster deal.

I paid for 3 years of Disney+ and I have young kids, I haven't regretted it for a minute.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Like so many abstracted business KPIs, it only really makes since to compare a company to its prior performance.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Disney+ has been so successful that they're starting to officially shut down Disney Channels around the world and are shifting a lot of their focus to movies and shows intended for direct release onto D+, thinking that it's a massive failure is just being in a bubble.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HBO Max is worth a try for Love Life. That show is just fantastic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thanks for the Palm Springs rec, it was a really good movie!

I didn't think it was anything TOO special but overall I enjoyed it. I did like the inference that the grandmother was in the time loop as well. I think they may have hinted Randy was too

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
HBO Max is worth it for the TCM collection alone for me. Then add in all the other stuff and it's really a no brainer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bentacos posted:

HBO Max is worth it for the TCM collection alone for me. Then add in all the other stuff and it's really a no brainer.

And the adult swim section

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The adult swim collection is poo poo. It has barely anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having good quality space ghost and home movies is rad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

The adult swim collection is poo poo. It has barely anything.

What the

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

Having good quality space ghost and home movies is rad

If it only has those two its worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It has a grand total of 9 shows.

Hulu has more Adult Swim content than HBO Max. It's pathetic.

Personally, I've been massively disappointed with HBO Max and the only reason why I'm paying for it is inerta from already paying for HBO prior to launch.

With how rich the Time Warner catalog is, HBO Max is threadbare.

Disney+ gave me exactly what they advertised on the tin for $3.99 /month (after discount). HBO Max runs ads that showcase content that's not even on the service yet and have given no timeline. I wanted all things Warner with HBO Max, instead I got just HBO with just a little more stuff. It's frankly embarrassing by comparison when you look at the cost of the service.

And that's not even going into launching a new service in 2020 and not even having HDR. I mean, CBS All-Access has HDR now for fucks stake.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 12, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Medullah posted:

I didn't think it was anything TOO special but overall I enjoyed it. I did like the inference that the grandmother was in the time loop as well. I think they may have hinted Randy was too

Just watched Palm Springs because of you fuckers.

I liked it, owing in part to the fact that I'm in love with Cristin Milioti.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes she’s pretty wonderful in it, enjoyed that casting. Would’ve liked a little more Connor O’Malley, but with him a little goes a long way so it’s all good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I watched through American Horror Story: 1984 over the past couple days and... I'm torn on it.

The first 8 episodes are loving amazing and actually managed to capture that lightning-in-a-bottle, "I have no idea what to expect because this show could throw loving anything at me" vibe Asylum had. Like, it's a clusterfuck, but it's a clusterfuck that had me laughing like an idiot at basically every new twist or complication.

The final episode, however, somehow managed to poo poo the bed harder than I'm used to from AHS, and that's really saying something. I feel like they wasted a lot of potential with the status quo by the end, the framing device basically deflates every bit of tension the ending could have had, and I feel like they kind of lost their handle on everyone's personalities aside from Trevor and Montana when they went ghost, to the point where the whole cast just kind of turned into interchangeable assholes.

Is this pretty much the consensus on the season, or am I weird for thinking it kinda... pulled an AHS at the end?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have not seen it but that sounds exactly like how I felt about every season I did see and why I resist the temptation when I see those cool teasers for a new season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say I still think it's 100% worth checking out. Those first 8 episodes are legitimately the best the show has been since Asylum.

Just... woof, that last one. The better it is to start, the harder it falls when Ryan Murphy has to write an ending, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, the ending is Ryan Murphy to the max, but overall it's maybe the best season of the show

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
One thing you have to remember about HBO Max (and Peacock, and Disney+) is that there are a lot of preexisting deals out there that haven't expired yet. Hell, Solo: A Star Wars Story was on Netflix until two days ago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can't take the sky from me

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Canadian flag stickers on his rollerblades are the cherry on top

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

So I watched through American Horror Story: 1984 over the past couple days and... I'm torn on it.

The first 8 episodes are loving amazing and actually managed to capture that lightning-in-a-bottle, "I have no idea what to expect because this show could throw loving anything at me" vibe Asylum had. Like, it's a clusterfuck, but it's a clusterfuck that had me laughing like an idiot at basically every new twist or complication.

The final episode, however, somehow managed to poo poo the bed harder than I'm used to from AHS, and that's really saying something. I feel like they wasted a lot of potential with the status quo by the end, the framing device basically deflates every bit of tension the ending could have had, and I feel like they kind of lost their handle on everyone's personalities aside from Trevor and Montana when they went ghost, to the point where the whole cast just kind of turned into interchangeable assholes.

Is this pretty much the consensus on the season, or am I weird for thinking it kinda... pulled an AHS at the end?

I felt like it was the first season to stick the landing. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Palm Springs is pretty good!

Medullah posted:

It seemed like there was even more to it. The grandmother knew she was getting out. I don't know how that would work. The grandmother escaped the time loop and then returned to it?

Also she says the goat is gone, so why is Nyles there when Roy finds him in the mid-credits scene?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Palm Springs is pretty good!

It seemed like there was even more to it. The grandmother knew she was getting out. I don't know how that would work. The grandmother escaped the time loop and then returned to it?

Also she says the goat is gone, so why is Nyles there when Roy finds him in the mid-credits scene?

I'm assuming that because Niles was there on the original day he still exists in Roy's loop, but because it resets each day Niles no longer knows who Roy is, hence Roy knows that Niles has made it out

e: Actually now that I think about it you're right, if the goat is gone Niles should be gone

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I noticed that Disney+ just added a couple of those 1950s space advocacy short films they did with von Braun. Those are worth watching just for the early space age vision of the future. Those shorts had a major impact in shaping how the US public viewed space exploration.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

blunt posted:

I'm assuming that because Niles was there on the original day he still exists in Roy's loop, but because it resets each day Niles no longer knows who Roy is, hence Roy knows that Niles has made it out

Just a thought: (not even a theory, because there's zero indication of this) but what if Very Old Roy was the one who nudged Day 1 Niles into finding the cave before making it out himself

Or maybe the Niles in the ending stumbles onto the cave like he originally did, but now he'll get Roy as a mentor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was wondering about the goat/Niles thing too, glad it wasn’t just me. Didn’t pick up on the other people possibly being in it, but was drinking heavily while watching so I’ll check for that on rewatch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've only watched a few AHS, but I thought 1984 was the best of the lot. Asylum sucked.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chairman Capone posted:

I noticed that Disney+ just added a couple of those 1950s space advocacy short films they did with von Braun. Those are worth watching just for the early space age vision of the future. Those shorts had a major impact in shaping how the US public viewed space exploration.

Disney's starry-eyed atomic age futurism rules and I wish that was a part of their history that they returned to with their media as often as they do with their fairy tale fantasy and down-home Americana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-T5VEueW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwA7c_rNbJE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

I've only watched a few AHS, but I thought 1984 was the best of the lot. Asylum sucked.

Roanoke is really good

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Re: Palm Springs. I definitely got the sense the grandmother was in it or knew, didn’t get that at all from Randy (though now I can see it) and figured the goat thing was just sloppy writing which I can forgive because I was so glad they didn’t just abandon JK Simmons.

And to keep it on-forum: it’s great to see Tiny Superman.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think there's a line about how she was mistaken about the goat and it actually didn't vanish due to time hyjinx.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blunt posted:

e: Actually now that I think about it you're right, if the goat is gone Niles should be gone

It's possible she is lying to Nyles. She brought the goat into the loop and blew it up and senses that it doesn't recognize her anymore afterward, but she can't be certain because how could you be certain about something like that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edward Mass posted:

One thing you have to remember about HBO Max (and Peacock, and Disney+) is that there are a lot of preexisting deals out there that haven't expired yet. Hell, Solo: A Star Wars Story was on Netflix until two days ago.

Yes, but a lot of the stuff is streaming NOWHERE.

For example, "Final Space." That's never been on any streaming service. It's distributed by Warner Brothers. It's only ever been available on TBS.com and AdultSwim.com. Right now, only the last 5 episodes of season 2 are up.

Right at this very moment, if you wanted to watch both seasons of Final Space, your only option is to buy the digital episodes off of some retail outlet like Amazon or iTunes.

I can only assume this delay is that Warner Brothers is planning on releasing Season One and Two on blu-ray as a set on August 11th and don't want to eat into any potential retail sales.

And that's the frustrating thing. You have various arms of the same company creating artificial roadblocks to making content available that only ends up hurting the service (and potentially the content) due to some perceived min/max marketing situation. Final Space could only benefit by being on HBO Max right now. It's between seasons, it could easily find a wider audience in the lead-up to Season 3 especially with some mild promotion within the app. The only people buying the Final Space blu-ray are going to be die hard fans that want to support the show in any way they can (and I'm totally buying the blu-ray even though I already own both seasons on Amazon.)

They also haven't laid down any ground rules about what's going to be on the service and when (either explicitly or consistency of presentation.) I watched all of Snowpiercer off of TNT, but I would have rather watched it in higher quality off of something like HBO Max. However, I have no idea when that will be on HBO max or even if it will be on HBO Max.

Studio specific streaming services is only something i'm going to buy into if I can be sure I can see all of that studio's output, ad free, in a somewhat reasonable (~6 months) time after it finishes airing. Ideally though, these services need to follow Hulu and make the content available next day. Them expanding that to FX was the greatest enhancement to Hulu's value ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks for the heads up about Palm Springs, the ad on hulu didn't do much to sell me but drat it was a good Sunday morning wake and bake watch