Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The other day I was trying to think of the biggest Hollywood released movie that never had a sequel, sequels or a remake made to capitalize on its success.

Titanic is probably the number one answer, but that doesn't really count for obvious reasons.

Some other titles that came to mind were Beetlejuice, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Willow and Top Gun (although I think they are remaking that one now)

Then I remembered E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which was made on a 10 million budget and grossed almost 800 million, yet was a one-and-done.

It's insane to me that whoever owned to the rights to it had the self-control to not mine that money pit for all it was worth. They didn't even make a cartoon series out of it, which boggles the mind since everything was turned an animated series back in the 80 and 90's no matter how violent and unsuitable for children the source material was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

But the alien is all wrinkled and ugly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

what the hell is this movie

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The spiritual sequel to E.T. was Mac and Me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It was the Atari 2600 game that sunk any hope for a sequel, I think. There was that (I think) Super Bowl commercial that featured a grownup Elliot that was sort of a sequel.

None of this is to say they won’t reboot it or make a sequel or prequel in the near future, though. Gotta get that nostalgia money.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

He can fly

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

it is kind of like lord of the rings. it's a lot like that.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
They licensed it to Atari ran an entire industry into the ground. Probably damages your IP when that happens, idk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The atari ET thing did gently caress the industry and a big chunk of the production run is just melted in a hole in the desert right now

But like video games were not what they are today, in market share or profit. It feels weird if a bad game is the reason the movie never had a follow-up

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

They licensed it to Atari ran an entire industry into the ground. Probably damages your IP when that happens, idk

Possibly, but they made a Raiders of the Lost Ark game for the Atari 2600 and that makes the E.T. game look competent by comparison.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sexy AF is what it is.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

E.T. terrified the hell out of me as a kid, I don't think I could have handled the marketing push of a sequel.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

tuatha tuatha elora dannanora

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

He didn't run into the ground be cause he made the bicke fly

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Vakal posted:

Possibly, but they made a Raiders of the Lost Ark game for the Atari 2600 and that makes the E.T. game look competent by comparison.

"What the gently caress am I supposed to do" games were so popular at the time, that Raiders spring-boarded the programmer into getting the most important license of the era, ET. This game is so impenetrable that I once got a copy for 25 cents because they "couldn't get it to work." The game requires two joysticks that you use at the same time. One does nothing but navigate your inventory.

Blowmonkey
Jan 9, 2005

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Because E.T. is god, only have to endure Atari, and they let it all sleep. No doubt it's all been pitched.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I remember when I first met her, she was working at goth IHOP, smoking cloves out the back while listening to the Cure. I'd walked over there after my girlfriend who worked across the street at tomboy outback steakhouse broke up with me because I said I never actually liked going to soccer games.
Anyway, we hit it off immediately, she told me, between puffs, her name was "Vilitoria, Lady of the Dark," but her name tag said "Mary"...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

THEY'RE ALL PIGS

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

Original price of Atari 2600 games
Atari 2600
Four-switch VCS model (1980-1982)
Introductory price US$199 (equivalent to $839.6 in 2019)
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Vakal
May 11, 2008

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Fun Fact: Atari is planning on releasing a new console this year.

https://atarivcs.com/

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Willow had a sequel novel and his name wasn't Willow anymore, it was some gothy edgelord bullshit.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Vakal posted:

The other day I was trying to think of the biggest Hollywood released movie that never had a sequel, sequels or a remake made to capitalize on its success.

Titanic is probably the number one answer, but that doesn't really count for obvious reasons.

Some other titles that came to mind were Beetlejuice, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Willow and Top Gun (although I think they are remaking that one now)

Then I remembered E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which was made on a 10 million budget and grossed almost 800 million, yet was a one-and-done.

It's insane to me that whoever owned to the rights to it had the self-control to not mine that money pit for all it was worth. They didn't even make a cartoon series out of it, which boggles the mind since everything was turned an animated series back in the 80 and 90's no matter how violent and unsuitable for children the source material was.

children don't actually like et they find it terrifying, a cartoon would never work

It's not a kids movie

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Vakal posted:

Sexy AF is what it is.

holy bomb hell are these people sexy as gently caress

Vakal
May 11, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

children don't actually like et they find it terrifying, a cartoon would never work

It's not a kids movie

Never stopped them before.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 12, 2020

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
Nobody has been able to contact ET about a reboot since he went back to his home planet after the movie.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The ET game was supposed to be the big Christmas hit product but the Raiders game didn't have the same hype so it wasn't as much a disappointment

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

redm posted:

Nobody has been able to contact ET about a reboot since he went back to his home planet after the movie.

If you hurry now you can visit ET on him home planet of terrifying aliens AND get some COVID!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFpMHO0cnHw

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Vakal posted:

Beetlejuice

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vakal posted:

Neil Diamond tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9GW-09bBVc

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A sequel to E.T. was actually seriously considered, and a short made to test audience response. Unfortunately when shown in a cinema to a test audience who had seen E.T. beforehand, the cumulative effect was so sickly sweet it made them throw up in their mouths, causing them all to choke to death.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
they are absolutely going to makke an ET sequel ofr rebbot how can you even doubt that

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

There was a sequel novelization.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0743216407/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_icRcFbJAV886P

Read it as a kid. It was awful.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The sequel to ET is set in the 2020’s. Starring Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore reprising their roles as siblings Eliot and Gertie.

It’s close to 40 years after Elliot’s magical encounter with a being from another world. His life was never the same after E.T. went home. The psychic bond between the two during E.T.’s brief stay on Earth was never quite broken and Elliot never fully recovered. He became withdrawn, haunted by memories of their friendship and for many years insisted he was still able to communicate with his alien friend, earning him only ridicule from his peers and his community. He was a reluctant celebrity, the guy who met an alien, the butt of jokes and he became a drug addicted recluse.

His younger sister Gertrude’s memories of the events of 1982 were not as strong but she was bonded to the creature just the same. So were all the neighborhood kids who remember that Halloween night when they all flew over the forest on bikes.

One night, they all have the same strange dream of a glowing finger...

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 12, 2020

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

It's not a kids movie

I saw it as a young child and I found it so poignant I cried.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

The real question we should be asking ourselves is where the hell is Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League? :(

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

FuzzyBuddha posted:

The real question we should be asking ourselves is where the hell is Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League? :(

This is the one and only sequel question that needs to be asked.

As far as ET, my brother had a speech impediment at the time, and called it "E.T. The Extra Testicle"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Lol @ thinking about new movies being made in the later half of 2020 just lol

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
A Beetlejuice sequel is totally doable, its easy, check this out:

The wuzzup sketch from Scary Movie but instead of the grim reaper its Beetlejuice.

Boom, one scene down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real ET sequel is actually No More Heroes 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nPg42xsXg

you broke my grill posted:

The ET game was supposed to be the big Christmas hit product but the Raiders game didn't have the same hype so it wasn't as much a disappointment

Yeah, the whole thing with ET was that it was massively overhyped and overproduced despite the actual game being a rushed piece of poo poo, I think they made more cartridges than consoles existed or something almost as ridiculous. It also coincided with a disastrously bad port of Pac-Man and just in general people realising that there weren't really any actual unqualified good games for the console.

Funny thing is E.T. is arguably one of the most basic common formulas for kids movies now, the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is basically ET with a sheriff and mad scientist.

I think ET never became as much of a franchise juggernaut in part because it's by Stephen Spielberg, who has better things to do, in part because it doesn't really lend itself to extra merchandise- ET's design, while working in the movie, isn't that appealing on its own, and there's not really any marketable setpieces the movie has. Even the spaceship is only seen vaguely. It did apparently cause a lot of sales for Reese's Pieces, though.

As for other one-and-done movies, it should be obvious but Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a miracle to get made in the first place given it was a collaboration crossover between WB and Disney, who mandated among other things that the Disney characters and WB ones had to have exactly equal screentime. (They had to play with this a bit, but they did solve one problem by having Donald and Daffy share most of their screentime in the piano duel) A few cartoons made after feel a bit like spiritual successors to Roger Rabbit; Bonkers has a similar setting and themes with Toons living side by side with more realistically portrayed humans and dealing with the contrast, while Animaniacs seems like a bit of a revival of Golden Age cartoon styles.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 12, 2020