Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

realbez posted:

O’Brien had the better game though

Yeah I mean at least O'Brien did what he tweeted he was going to do, which is beat him around the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress me I thought Nic handing him a new phone was photoshopped.

What a power move

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

cmndstab posted:

Crows at least somewhat entertaining to watch at the moment, just unable to actually convert any of their good play into goals.

Fortunately, they managed to remedy this issue by eliminating their good plays.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Goodwin should be on watch to get sacked but there is no way we could afford it.

I want Ross Lyon.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
That last free kick to Rankine is probably the worst you’ll ever see

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The turf at giants stadium is starting to look pretty chopped up. I wonder if we’ll get some good mud pit games later in the year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lever and May are probably the highest paid and yet almost certainly the worst KPD pair in the league. Just loving atrocious

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

realbez posted:

The turf at giants stadium is starting to look pretty chopped up. I wonder if we’ll get some good mud pit games later in the year.

I think the drainage is going to be too good for any mud, it'll just end up being a divot filled minefield

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That last play was a great example of why camera angles for AFL that broadcasters use are garbage. Looked like Pickett absolutely shanked a shot at goal, when it was actually a perfect pass to Bennel.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Windmill Hut posted:

I want Ross Lyon.

:rip: Bennell

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The mighty Blues have now beaten 2 top 4 teams :smuggo:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Definitely gotten into AFL during covid, as a big fan of American football I’d much rather watch this than rugby

Unfortunately only ~3 games per week air in the US, and a lot of them have been total first half blowouts

Adelaide vs GWS is one of the first close games I can remember this whole season

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah this season has been weird.

Stick around and hopefully next year is good and normal.

There are a few more games broadcast in the USA, although on varying channels. ESPN picked it back up during covid lul in sports, who knows if they'll keep it going forward though.

The usafl account has a US schedule each week (normally on wed or thursday)
https://twitter.com/USAFL1997/status/1280653123472809987

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Adelaide vs GWS is one of the first close games I can remember this whole season

Those two teams haven't played this season.

I thought you might've meant Port Adelaide vs GWS, but they haven't played either. EDIT: wait, they just did.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Chairchucker posted:

Those two teams haven't played this season.

I thought you might've meant Port Adelaide vs GWS, but they haven't played either. EDIT: wait, they just did.

Yeah that’s the one I meant, just ended

E: as far as I can tell Fox Sports treats AFL as their planned programming every weekend (from 11 PM - 3 AM, and again at like 6 AM on the east coast) but for espn it gets bumped by UFC and Korean Baseball in the prestigious red-eye time slot

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 12, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Eddiebetts!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The amount of absolutely wrong calls this weekend really makes me re-think if the AFL should be honestly investigated by an independent body. If you had fifa/cricket umpires actively misinterpret the rules like they have been doing they would be investigated for potential match fixing.

Its always been in a somewhat grey area with poor umpiring but Ive never before seen them actively ignore the rules as written before. Either someone is negligent with all this or they're on the take.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quite a few players will get weeks for ugly bumps this round

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Nutsngum posted:

The amount of absolutely wrong calls this weekend really makes me re-think if the AFL should be honestly investigated by an independent body. If you had fifa/cricket umpires actively misinterpret the rules like they have been doing they would be investigated for potential match fixing.

Its always been in a somewhat grey area with poor umpiring but Ive never before seen them actively ignore the rules as written before. Either someone is negligent with all this or they're on the take.

It's almost as if the game has become needlessly complex and could only possibly be officiated by full time umpires who are expected to do a good job and are paid accordingly.

But that would be crazy.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
EDDIEBETTS!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

It's almost as if the game has become needlessly complex and could only possibly be officiated by full time umpires who are expected to do a good job and are paid accordingly.

But that would be crazy.

Are yOu INSAne???

For the record I dont actually think there's literal match fixing going on but it seems to be the umpiring "fraternity" is full of egotism and big heads who think they can dictate the game at will and have no issue in "punishing" people like Clarko who criticise them.

The rule book needs to be re written to remove as much grey area as possible in my opinion.

Also, Eddie Betts!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Just play all games via afl evolution 2, solves umpiring and social distancing problems

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh good I’m glad someone else wrote that Clarkson is being punished before I melted down about it itt

That meltdown is coming if when they don’t ease up next round btw so you’ve all got that to look forward to maybe just put me on ignore

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton in the 8 with a percentage over 100 while eddie kicks a (small) bag?

I'll take it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Carlton in the 8 with a percentage over 100 while eddie kicks a (small) bag?

I'll take it.

All this talk of "well the amount of teams that change out of the 8 from round 6 is blah blah blah" just seems crazy to me. This season is utterly unpredictable and with no double ups I think the top 8 could change considerably over the next 6 weeks.

*edit.

I really think that article posted before about how the footy media and commentary is its own worst enemy in how it portrays the game doesnt go far enough. The AFL itself is rife with it. I know its only a small thing, but the "9 things we learned" on the AFL site is an awkward photo of Carlisle either getting falconed or copping the rebounding football in the face. The AFL is meant to be representing each club fairly and equally, not showing embarrassing photos that arent really going to be taken in good humour by a hurting fan base.

I get it, i'm obviously still annoyed over a loss and it is a very minor thing, but the last thing I really enjoy is going onto the league's own website and being made to feel worse by it. Why not actually attempt to support the fanbase instead of belittle it?

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 12, 2020

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I was worried last week but actually Blues for the flag

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Nutsngum posted:

All this talk of "well the amount of teams that change out of the 8 from round 6 is blah blah blah" just seems crazy to me. This season is utterly unpredictable and with no double ups I think the top 8 could change considerably over the next 6 weeks.

*edit.

I really think that article posted before about how the footy media and commentary is its own worst enemy in how it portrays the game doesnt go far enough. The AFL itself is rife with it. I know its only a small thing, but the "9 things we learned" on the AFL site is an awkward photo of Carlisle either getting falconed or copping the rebounding football in the face. The AFL is meant to be representing each club fairly and equally, not showing embarrassing photos that arent really going to be taken in good humour by a hurting fan base.

I get it, i'm obviously still annoyed over a loss and it is a very minor thing, but the last thing I really enjoy is going onto the league's own website and being made to feel worse by it. Why not actually attempt to support the fanbase instead of belittle it?

It's St Kilda, you wouldn't see the AFL doing it to one of the big clubs

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Spedman posted:

It's St Kilda, you wouldn't see the AFL doing it to one of the big clubs

Which is even more hilarious when you consider that it's in the AFLs interest to not undermine the small clubs at every chance given they funnel $10s of millions into those clubs each year.

Not to say that the Saints didn't deserve to be called pretenders as a result of their performance on the weekend but I'm not sure the AFL themselves should be doing it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The afl website has shat on carlton for years.

They know it get clicks, essendon too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
round 8 fixture

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1282582156586283009

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
In before we give Adelaide their first win

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

You haven't watched the Crows play this season, have you?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

cmndstab posted:

You haven't watched the Crows Saints play this season, have you?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Which is even more hilarious when you consider that it's in the AFLs interest to not undermine the small clubs at every chance given they funnel $10s of millions into those clubs each year.

Not to say that the Saints didn't deserve to be called pretenders as a result of their performance on the weekend but I'm not sure the AFL themselves should be doing it.

That one really rubbed me the wrong way. At what point were we pretenders? By winning some games?

thepokey posted:

Had we beaten Freo I would think that Adelaide would be a real danger game as it would just be perfect for us to catch them on a good day and they beat us but the players should have an absolute rocket shoved up their rear end after that embarrassing display.

Ive been super happy with all our recruits for this year but Hill has just been so loving lacklustre. I wouldnt drop him but gently caress me he needs to lift.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

cmndstab posted:

You haven't watched the Crows play this season, have you?

We are exactly the team that a poo poo team like the crows will beat though, our record against bottom-tier teams is pretty dire

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Bachar Houli's mum got the roni and is in the ICU. Maybe we've got better at treating it but last I heard once you're in ICU it's a coin toss whether you survive or not.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Courtney Cramey just announced her retirement

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That's a shame, although given her constant hamstring (from memory?) issues it's not surprising. She was a star and her performance in the 2017 GF was immense, particularly coming off injury. She was easily second-best on ground that day (obviously behind Erin Phillips) and we probably wouldn't have won it without her.

She flew the flag for women's footy in SA for years, pretty much solo. I wonder if she'll stay involved at the club in some way?

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 15, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Had we beaten Freo I would think that Adelaide would be a real danger game as it would just be perfect for us to catch them on a good day and they beat us but the players should have an absolute rocket shoved up their rear end after that embarrassing display.

Ive been super happy with all our recruits for this year but Hill has just been so loving lacklustre. I wouldnt drop him but gently caress me he needs to lift.

Apparently that post-game rocket was a derivation of “I’m not mad, I’m disappointed,” (Ratten’s words were apparently “Who do you want to be?”) which we all should know is the real one that cuts deep.

Hill might’ve just been seeing red against an old team. The whole squad put in one quarter then took their foot off the gas, it was beyond frustrating. Almost better to lose that than sneak it in under the wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just lol at Gil trying to sell this heroic Queensland evil everyone else narrative in a desperate bid to avoid the nightmare of having a Grand Final played in Perth or Adelaide and breaking the seal preventing the national rotation