Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty good posted:

Also I still can't believe there was literally a Sith Hood Ornament in TROS

I think Bail Organa’s speeder on Coruscant had a hood ornament but Lucas didn’t make it a plot point at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Forget the ring I found it in a cracker jack box

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Lando's trash collectors scooped it up. All of this was simply a byzantine plot to make Lando Savior of the Galaxy, and incidentally deniably off that jackass who took his ship.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
It's very frustrating that an imaginative property like Star Wars can be so beloved that it becomes a product crafted by focus groups and market research. It's the exact opposite of what happened with the prequels.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know much about gas giants but as I recall, as the pressure gets higher the atmospheric gases become liquid and then solid, so at some point Bespin's atmosphere becomes a planetwide ocean, and depending on how dense the materials in the lightsaber are it could conceivably float. At that point all you'd need is a ship which could handle the pressure and a metal detector. Well, maybe a lightsaber crystal detector or something because all of Cloud City's trash probably ended up down there too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Luke wound up caught in a vent, why not his hand?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glottis posted:

It's very frustrating that an imaginative property like Star Wars can be so beloved that it becomes a product crafted by focus groups and market research. It's the exact opposite of what happened with the prequels.

They do that for the first one, they forgo it for the middle entry then go "Whoops! Our Bad" when fanboys get pissed at its direction instead of sticking to their guns and make the last one a reactionary focus-tested homunculus.

The good thing at least is that now that the OT characters are out of the picture, they can pretty much do whatever they want without as extreme of a fear of push-back / excessive executive meddling.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To be clear, nobody actually listens to test audiences. Like, not in the sense of ‘understanding what they have to say’.

A test audience will be like “oh, I like the Rey character”, and the executives track an overall 78% positive response to Rey versus a 61% positive response to FN - so let’s make Rey the protagonist of the film. Of course the film is basically done, but we can flesh out the Rey subplot in reshoots and turn it into the central narrative. Get Boyega in the recording booth and we can loop some funnier dialogue, etc.

Because this is all some kind of insane cult, the belief is that Force Awakens’ megaprofits are directly attributable to this scheme to increase protagonist likeability by 17%. That’s why they keep doing it.

Like, it wasn’t the massive and inescapable quasi-viral ad campaign; Force Awakens made its five billion dollars because they redid the Maz Katana exposition-dump sequence.

Yeah that’s what I meant

I think old timey producers did actually read the test audience cards tho

As you say the process is probably completely algorithms at this point

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

MasqueradeOverture posted:

The good thing at least is that now that the OT characters are out of the picture, they can pretty much do whatever they want without as extreme of a fear of push-back / excessive executive meddling.

lmao Mandalorian got the best reception of any of the Disney produced stuff and Bob Iger was immediately giving interviews about how they were going to make make spin-off shows out of every supporting character

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

They do that for the first one, they forgo it for the middle entry then go "Whoops! Our Bad" when fanboys get pissed at its direction instead of sticking to their guns and make the last one a reactionary focus-tested homunculus.

As one of the "I liked TLJ" people that makes it extra irritating. I seriously don't know how they'll ever just give someone creatively competent the freedom to create a continuous trilogy. Maybe Feige will save us.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I hosed up boys, I'm sorry :(

I was in the ROS test audience; all I wrote on my feedback card was "whenever the flying stormtroopers aren't on screen, all the other characters should be asking about them"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

There's nothing remotely heretical or even schismatic about TLJ's understanding of Star Wars. This notion that Rise of Skywalker is some over-correction because Rian Johnson tried to do something bold is such a weird canard wholly unsupported by evidence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blood Boils posted:

I hosed up boys, I'm sorry :(

I was in the ROS test audience; all I wrote on my feedback card was "whenever the flying stormtroopers aren't on screen, all the other characters should be asking about them"

Wait, the stormtroopers fly now?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They fly now

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They fly now?!?!?

(I haven't even seen TROS, and I know that scene through pure osmosis.)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah it rules that everyone cried about the jokes in TLJ and then we get that marvel self-aware stuff in ROS

And recall that was the scene they used to tease the film haha. Like that was supposed to make you want to go see the rest of the movie

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The point of test audiences and focus groups in general isn't to consult "the public" in good faith to determine the quality of a movie or product, it's to create data points that will help managers achieve specific goals. If, say, you want to edit the black lead out of a movie, you can create a test audience that prefers the white lead or find a significant plurality in a randomly chosen focus group instead.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jewmanji posted:

There's nothing remotely heretical or even schismatic about TLJ's understanding of Star Wars. This notion that Rise of Skywalker is some over-correction because Rian Johnson tried to do something bold is such a weird canard wholly unsupported by evidence.

I personally can't find what it is that makes public opinions on TLJ so divided other than it's a Schrodinger's Cat of a movie. I liked that Holdo was basically an 80's anime character. I liked Punished Luke. I found flying Leia to be an awesome moment for her character. I liked the DJ stuff and thought it'd be interesting to follow up in IX how arms dealers have a roll. I liked the way the events in the film was structured and found it to really feel like a space "opera." I liked the new force powers, found the lightspeed kamikaze to be the most loving awesome sequence of the Disney-era, and dug the (unfortunately thrown away) concept that bloodlines don't equal unrivaled power. Hell, (for the most part) I even liked Rose.

A lot of people hate the film for same reasons. That's alright too.

But someone involved in the making of TROS must've rolled with the laundry list of takes online and concluded TLJ was two & a half hours of fandom heresy so they went "Let's not do this, let's do THIS instead" and brought JJ back to essentially complete his lesser-remake of the OT (and you could argue Snoke was initially just gonna be Palpatine 2.0, so why not not break what's not already broken but maybe worn to static by bringing back Palpatine... the safest and most goddamn pathetic option anyone could've come up with).

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 11, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It might be simpler to conclude JJ is just bad at his job.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I mean his job was p clearly to get the ship to port and that's what he did. Not to defend him but it's an unenviable position. But then again I think every third episode has tons of visible fatigue (it's used to decent effect in ROTS though)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

It might be simpler to conclude JJ is just bad at his job.

The rest of his filmography is proof that he can tell a coherent story, regardless how it's received. Not saying he's blameless, but the studio's interference is the main culprit here

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've been saying since I saw it, it is basically impossible to tell what bits of the movie JJ put in as an artistic choice and what bits where mandated by Disney because they're worried about giving the insane fandom bad tummyfeels

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ROS is a bunch of millionaires and artists just saying you wanna eat chicken nuggets and ketchup here it is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blood Boils posted:

The rest of his filmography is proof that he can tell a coherent story, regardless how it's received. Not saying he's blameless, but the studio's interference is the main culprit here

Other than Into Darkness, but yeah.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ST:intodarkness is perfectly coherent, which is different from saying it's good or bad

it's good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some companies definitely still read the audience feedback cards for test audiences, but to be honest for certain movies there isn't necessarily an intention to change the film so much as market it appropriately. The test cards Im aware of were for films that didn't undergo major revisions after the test screen, just tweaking who would be lead in promotional materials

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

New Star Wars trilogy is what dollar bill printing looks like when done by A.I.

Old Star Wars trilogy too but with that warm, human analog touch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

ST:intodarkness is perfectly coherent, which is different from saying it's good or bad

it's good

A movie with a coherent vision and tone is always more interesting to watch and to discuss than a chopped-up studio mess.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A movie with a coherent vision and tone is always more interesting to watch and to discuss than a chopped-up studio mess.

David Lynch's Dune is "interesting" and that was mercilessly hacked to death.

But then again... David Lynch.

I'm still deathly curious how a David Lynch Revenge Of The Jedi would've turned out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
People on twitter are posting shots from TLJ as great cinematography, including this one:

I loved it when ten foot tall Luke-Ghost faced off against the medium-dog sized walkers or whatever at an indeterminate distance. So beautiful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That is a good shot tho. Emphasis on Jedi Daddy Luke being larger than the lowly war machine. Scale implies power.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

People on twitter are posting shots from TLJ as great cinematography, including this one:

I loved it when ten foot tall Luke-Ghost faced off against the medium-dog sized walkers or whatever at an indeterminate distance. So beautiful.

That is a great shot, intentionally created, doing work on your brain. It is Luke embracing his legend to save the day one last time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol do you understand that things in the distance get smaller?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
interesting choice by rian johnson to use bigger luke

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vim Fuego posted:

interesting choice by rian johnson to use bigger luke

Bigger Luke is only a few cm taller than Luke, that one's Bigger Luke Prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

Bigger Luke is only a few cm taller than Luke, that one's Bigger Luke Prime.

Biggest Luke

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's no Luke...

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Luke can astral project an image of himself, why not appear a hundred feet tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It is a little hard to gauge distance in that shot with no context, of course when you watch it in the movie it's entirely clear. It's hard to dispute that it's a good looking movie!