Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I dunno, The Quiet Man revealed itself to be a stupid gimmick when there was no sound whatsoever when the third person omniscient camera ended up tracking other people in separate scenes and then dropped a sound version to make people play it a second time so it'd make sense. This is just committed to the bit to an idiotic degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah the Quiet Man was dumb because the audience couldn't understand things that the protagonist clearly could, and the sound was muted even in scenes he didn't appear in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

They both made their deaf protagonists look like morons, but I think I agree. If nothing else the Quiet Man didn't come off as utterly infantile.

I think that's what impresses me. Mookie managed to make an incredibly insulting character completely by accident because off his inability to write a character with agency.

I started thinking about that because in both cases the creator(s) clearly never bothered talking to or consulting someone with an actual hearing impairment, or doing like any research into how they live their lives.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Maxwell Lord posted:

I started thinking about that because in both cases the creator(s) clearly never bothered talking to or consulting someone with an actual hearing impairment, or doing like any research into how they live their lives.

I would say that in Mookie's case it would be a bit different because the way hearing impaired folks lived their lives in medieval and pre-modern times was doubtless different from how they do it today when things like literacy and laws protecting and helping individuals with disabilities and special needs are prevalent - but lol like Deeganverse isn't just the modern world .

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I would say that in Mookie's case it would be a bit different because the way hearing impaired folks lived their lives in medieval and pre-modern times was doubtless different from how they do it today when things like literacy and laws protecting and helping individuals with disabilities and special needs are prevalent - but lol like Deeganverse isn't just the modern world .

Of course, this discussion is all hypothetical. Mookie doesn't consider how anyone, impaired or not exists in his settings.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Snout feels like a worse portrayal of someone without hearing to me just cause Mookie’s always making jokes at his expense directly related to it. A guy with hearing writing a scene where a deaf man is so desperate to cure his deafness that he drinks earwax cleaner feels mean spirited. And folks with hearing leaving out deaf people from the conversation both intentionally and accidentally is a real thing. It seems like every time Snout being deaf comes up it’s just for yucks.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

YF-23 posted:

We have been explicitly shown that it does affect ink magic, with the "wayfinder spell" the ink witch disguised herself as and her ship crashing because of it. Of course, the ink witch could have been lying about that, but I think if that were the case it would have been found out within half a strip.

I mean, that's what she said, sure. But what about all the times she used her magic and the mild edge didn't affect it, like when she made that tree for them to sit under, write words in the air, tell fortunes, and a bunch of other stuff. My point is it's inconsistent and stops happening when mookie forgets or needs her magic to work.

The Little Death posted:

There's something about Snout's naivete that is really grating to me. Like here we see that he reacts to conflict like a child, getting angry that people are fighting and deamnding that they stop. And because he's portrayed as so innocent, what we're seeing is like watching someone kick a puppy. But the fact that he's obviously the stand-in for the author, that he's been in all these weird sexual situations with the Ink witch, and that his deafness cutshim off from understanding situations until they are spelled out to him by the other characters just lends this almost fetishistic quality to things, like his relative helplessness and lack of agency is the point. Just feels weird and uncomfortable.

This is a really good insight. You know what it's a lot like? It's like the creatures in the movie "cats." They're very blatantly sexual with each other but they're also childlike and infantilized and you feel like you should call someone.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sure we do, one is Rannon Mhorgs, and he is evil because he is evil. The other is boobs, and she is evil because boobs.

Rannon Mhorgs? Did I miss a comic?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

Rannon Mhorgs? Did I miss a comic?

No.

You missed one of Mookie's old D&D sessions.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1282272492153974785

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

He’s at the point where he just gets invited because he’s always been there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This whole comic is Mookie's mid-life crisis nostalgia about the con scene while he complains into an empty white void about how he thinks he should be more relevant and why aren't people still wearing Dominic Deegan scarves to the cons like they used to?!

Old Man Yells at White Void

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
There's a non-zero chance that "Rannon Mhorgs" is an anagram of someone who gave Mookie trouble in high school, isn't there?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Amazing. He delivered the entire speech without dialogue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ugh. His loving memorable heroes and villains presentation, again? I tried watching it once to pick apart and mock, and man, is he loving intolerable to listen to.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You gotta admit, "heroic rapist" is pretty memorable.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nighthand posted:

You gotta admit, "heroic rapist" is pretty memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn3gB4fRvUc

Not sure why his brother went into pediatrics though.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TheHan posted:

Snout feels like a worse portrayal of someone without hearing to me just cause Mookie’s always making jokes at his expense directly related to it. A guy with hearing writing a scene where a deaf man is so desperate to cure his deafness that he drinks earwax cleaner feels mean spirited. And folks with hearing leaving out deaf people from the conversation both intentionally and accidentally is a real thing. It seems like every time Snout being deaf comes up it’s just for yucks.

I'm not blind or deaf and my issues are just anxiety/depression related so I don't claim to speak for people with those types of disabilities, but I always thought the way Toph was handled on Avatar was the right way to handle disability jokes. Whenever Toph's blindness comes up in a comedic fashion, it's never her or her blindness that is the butt of joke - it's the other characters, usually Sokka, forgetting or doing something dumb around it. So while Toph's blindness can be a source of comedy, neither she or it is ever actually the punchline. That seems like the way you handle it.

Of course comparing Mookie who I still say is the nadir of creative endeavor to something as amazing as Avatar is unfair, but hey, what are ya gonna do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah if anyone other than us and Mookie's tiny audience of Twitter sycophants read this comic I'm sure there would be some controversy about his depiction of deaf people. Unfortunately instead he thinks he's being brave and progressive.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

One of his latest tweets is jerking off a little bit about his "Writing Unique Heroes & Memorable Villains" panel. Mookie will never change.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
When making a villain you gotta make sure to have no ambiguity. Your audience should have a baby’s understanding of right and wrong.

I think Snout had a heart attack? Did he die?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m choosing to think that he didn’t pass out from the punch, but from realizing that Evil Witch is about to start reading his written wankfests out loud.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Why would she immediately jump on reading his diary mid-confrontation?

I mean, it's because that's the only reason for them to consider snout at all important. But it's not even remotely justified in-character.

Like, even having the diary open to a random page with "important" symbols or drawings and having that catch her eye would at least be a way to connect those dots. It's not hard.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Why did he have to make the second panel so funny?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
:sickos:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
For a moment I thought Ink Mom's hair was fading into ink swirls, but until I realised it was just her collar I thought that was a neat touch.

That last panel is real bad though (not that the others are much better). It's just a mess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What in the actual hell are these panels. They don’t even look like one leads to another.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

5 finger exploding heart technique lol

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm surprised there isn't a panel of her ripping out the pages while cackling.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TheHan posted:

When making a villain you gotta make sure to have no ambiguity. Your audience should have a baby’s understanding of right and wrong.

Does Inkmom represent how the viewers feel about this comic?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudecyrus posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a panel of her ripping out the pages while cackling.

That's Wednesday's update, don't get ahead of yourself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

What in the actual hell are these panels. They don’t even look like one leads to another.

Yeah seriously. First he's rolling on his side, then he's sitting up from being on his back, then he's falling prone. There's absolutely no consistency between panels.

Also the bald dude's nose is horrifying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dull surprise making a stellar appearance here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I revise my earlier thoughts.

Those last two panels make it look like he was massively constipated, and passed out from the effort.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Oh, hey. I was wondering when Mookie's martyr complex would rear up again. Snout's deafness wasn't enough to appease it, I guess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Does Inkmom represent how the viewers feel about this comic?

She just got to the part where he talks about cuddling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fifth panel will be reused later in the comic for the worst sex scene ever created.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Panel four too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan posted:

We wouldn't be so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder, since Snout's the POV character and he's passed out, does this mean he can skip over the potential confrontation between Arudak, Squidward and the newcomers, and they can fill him in later with text so now Mookie doesn't have to draw a combat scene and just has to draw a static bedroom scene?