Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Waltzing Along posted:

DQXI, it's a lot more fun. If you want to get the true ending, you have to do hours and hours of a horrible minigame, though. It's incredibly bad and boring and repetitive. And you have to do it to beat the last boss, or even get to him as it is a forging game and there are items you have to forge to get that far. It's hosed up. I'm guessing that over the course of the game you will spend 5 hours doing this.

XB doesn't have any required minigames that are awful like this. But everything else is a step down.

I don't recall that being correct? The Super Sword of Light is a plot item you get which you are intended to use during the final battle. The Supreme Sword of Light requires a bunch of forging but isn't actually required, at least so far as I remember? I don't think I bothered with it in my switch playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

When the gently caress are we getting a direct? I'm still sad about E3, like, I look forward to the direct because of the dopamine drip, hurry it up Nintendo!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They just announced new Bakugan, what more do you want

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

They just announced new Bakugan, what more do you want

Need a 40 minute Bakugan focused Direct, that goes over all the new Bakubilities.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nep-Nep posted:

I don't recall that being correct? The Super Sword of Light is a plot item you get which you are intended to use during the final battle. The Supreme Sword of Light requires a bunch of forging but isn't actually required, at least so far as I remember? I don't think I bothered with it in my switch playthrough.

Also I didn't know you were supposed to use the sword as an item and I actually beat the final boss anyway

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Violet_Sky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFAW4aRfTFA

It's been 5 years since Iwata passed away.

Satoru Iwata was an absolute genius who put incredible love and care into Nintendo, all of you should read his ‘iwata asks’ because they’re incredible. he died far too young. RIP.

https://youtu.be/fgbX_lK-0tA

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also I didn't know you were supposed to use the sword as an item and I actually beat the final boss anyway

Haha gently caress I did this on my game too because I had already done everything including leveling up to 99.

So you're actually supposed to go into your inventory and use the sword like an item during the fight? What does it even do?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Satoru Iwata was an absolute genius who put incredible love and care into Nintendo, all of you should read his ‘iwata asks’ because they’re incredible. he died far too young. RIP.

https://youtu.be/fgbX_lK-0tA

those old Iwata Asks were great. Loved the ones he did with Kamiya. He really was a loving incredible programmer too; the whole thing about compressing Gold/Silver to include two regions on a gameboy is pretty crazy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ineffiable posted:

Haha gently caress I did this on my game too because I had already done everything including leveling up to 99.

So you're actually supposed to go into your inventory and use the sword like an item during the fight? What does it even do?

Like halfs its offense and defense or something. At least that is what it looked like in the video I watched later

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spellman posted:

The Things ruined Sticker Star and Color Splash—it was too hard to find the tell for when the required Thing would be effective to use in boss battles

In Origami King, you are tasked with killing the Things, which is good
Making the Things characters would still be more interesting. Like, it’s still a box of pencils but they make an actual character out of the concept. poo poo, they even have something like that with the rubber band man, so it stands out even more.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

When the gently caress are we getting a direct? I'm still sad about E3, like, I look forward to the direct because of the dopamine drip, hurry it up Nintendo!!!

People are insisting there's gonna be one on the 20th, like all the other times people totally knew about a Direct in advance.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There are no more directs. Nintendo even said as much like 2 months ago. Much like the Paper Mario thing though people just don't want to believe what's right in front of their eyes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Switch experience has been so far although the only thing I've really played is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which I guess is just an upgrade of a Wii U game. Wife has gotten sucked into Animal Crossing so I don't think I'll see the system for a while. I think it was smart not to get BotW right away until I get a sense of how often we'll use the system.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

Switch experience has been so far although the only thing I've really played is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which I guess is just an upgrade of a Wii U game. Wife has gotten sucked into Animal Crossing so I don't think I'll see the system for a while. I think it was smart not to get BotW right away until I get a sense of how often we'll use the system.

Ironic, since BotW is a huge reason to use the system a lot.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Like halfs its offense and defense or something. At least that is what it looked like in the video I watched later

And most importantly turns him green so you can see that Akira Toriyama just made the final boss loving Cell again

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ironic, since BotW is a huge reason to use the system a lot.

That's what I mean. I don't want another game at the moment competing for time if she's hooked on Animal Crossing. I've got my PS4 so I can wait to play BotW until later. Or maybe she'll get it for me as a gift.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has there been a consensus on Paper Mario since the treehouse or is it still mostly infighting?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lobok posted:

Good news if you have a WiiU: BotW is just a downgrade of a WiiU game. Yes, they never released the full WiiU BotW, but I'm still mad.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Unreal_One posted:

Good news if you have a WiiU: BotW is just a downgrade of a WiiU game. Yes, they never released the full WiiU BotW, but I'm still mad.

Every one of the dozen WiiU owners were furious over this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has there been a consensus on Paper Mario since the treehouse or is it still mostly infighting?

What do you think?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jabro posted:

Every one of the dozen WiiU owners were furious over this.

I owned a Wii U and made good use of it at the time but I cannot overstate how much it was just Switch but Worse

The tablet felt like cheap crap, had a bad screen, barely let you play games on it on its own. No Zelda game. The Mario games were more multiplayer focused, nothing like Odyssey or Galaxy. I played a LOT of smash 4 on it but ultimate is 100% just a better game

The 1 thing it has over the switch - dual screens and the stylus made Mario maker levels easier to make

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing Catherine Full Body, and this is possibly the worst I've ever been at a video game. I'm normally pretty good at puzzle games, but definitely not this one. I have trouble even on Easy difficulty.

I think the issue is that I have extremely bad spatial skills, so I have a very difficult time imagining the end result of moving blocks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

You're not going to get anything worthwhile until it's out and people have played it

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Fast question for Ori Will of the Wisps - I just beat the first, and found the major chase sequences to be really painful to play through. Not necessarily difficult to complete once you know what to do, but shakycam + instadeath + floaty controls and somewhat unforgiving timings was really painful when you're trying to figure it out through play vs just watching a video. I finished on normal difficulty at like 90%? and while it was a beautiful game I'm trying to figure out if the sequel has the awful chase stuff too.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yes, the chase/boss sequences in Will of the Wisps are a lot better and more forgiving. The last area of Blind Forest turned me off the game and I never completed it, but I really loved Will of the Wisps and might go back to it later for some hard mode shenanigans.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe BotW2 will be on WiiU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Motto posted:

People are insisting there's gonna be one on the 20th, like all the other times people totally knew about a Direct in advance.

Though to be fair, this is the same source which correctly leaked the existence and dates of those indie and mini directs earlier this year instead of someone on 4chan saying something.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

There is a paper mario thread, go there

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Wii U actually has literally every Nintendo home console Zelda title that exists, plus a bunch of the Gameboy/DS ones, plus a few spinoffs.

It's difficult to say it has no Zelda when nothing has ever had more Zelda.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What about CD-I Zelda

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chronojam posted:

The Wii U actually has literally every Nintendo home console Zelda title that exists, plus a bunch of the Gameboy/DS ones, plus a few spinoffs.

It's difficult to say it has no Zelda when nothing has ever had more Zelda.

No New Zelda until BOTW, which ended up being a Switch game. It's great if you wanna play Old Zelda, but they launched the console with a Windwaker Remake

Like I don't think it's a mistake BOTW + Mario Odyssey came out in the first year of the Switch, I'm sure at some point they just wanted to write off the Wii U and see if they could make the next system a success. But even from a quality of First-Party games point of view Wii U is one of the weakest Nintendo consoles

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Breath of the Wild was also released for WiiU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Breath of the Wild was also released for WiiU

after the console had basically died

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lobok posted:

That's what I mean. I don't want another game at the moment competing for time if she's hooked on Animal Crossing. I've got my PS4 so I can wait to play BotW until later. Or maybe she'll get it for me as a gift.

You’ll eventually do what I did and get a Switch Lite that’s yours alone. Kids and wife can fight over the other one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Our top astrologists have been studying the stars' patterns for weeks now, and combined from the unwavering effort of their fellow numerologists, I can confirm that the next Nintendo Direct will be...

...twelve hours ago!?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I've been playing Catherine Full Body, and this is possibly the worst I've ever been at a video game. I'm normally pretty good at puzzle games, but definitely not this one. I have trouble even on Easy difficulty.

I think the issue is that I have extremely bad spatial skills, so I have a very difficult time imagining the end result of moving blocks.

Oh no, that doesn't sound good, I have awful spatial reasoning, but I really like puzzle games too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I said I was going to write up some stuff on indie games I like, and I'll aim to do that today. In fact, I'm gonna get screenshots in a bit on a game I've become addicted to. In the meantime, though, here's a couple things I wrote earlier in this thread.

Mega64 posted:

After being disappointed by the Nonogram Prophecy game, I ended up grabbing Minesweeper Genius, and after playing about fifteen minutes of it I want to recommend it.

Minesweeper Genius is basically Minesweeper + Picross (the game says there's also elements of Sudoku, but I don't really see it).

The idea is to find the path to the goal and move your character there. The lightbulbs show how many mines there are in each line/column, and you have three attempts per puzzle (with the game helpfully showing an exposed mine if you die).

The game's description brags about it not requiring any luck and being able to be solved with pure logic, and in my limited playtime so far it seems to be true. You can plant flags where you think the mines are, and it'll tell you outright how many mines are in the puzzle.

You can't go back to a square you've been to, and there are special squares that do things (green arrows move the squares in that line/column one space in that direction, yellow arrows make you leap over a square, and so on). It looks like you'll cross over every non-mine square to get to the goal.

What's really cool is if you wipe or decide you want to go for a no-death run, the "puzzle" for each stage of the campaign will be different, so if I refreshed the puzzle for this stage it'll be different than the one I just showed you. It's a really nice touch where you can't just cheese each puzzle by playing through it twice, but you can still earn that no-death victory if you mess up the first time.

Other than the Campaign and a sparse Settings menu, the game's description boasts unlimited levels, which is where the Custom Level comes in. There's not a lot to it, but you can set the width and height and what special blocks you want, and you'll get an appropriate puzzle.

And there's the puzzle I just created!

It took me several minutes to figure out, but I made it with no deaths and enjoyed it overall. This game's idea of infinite replayability may not appeal to everyone since it's a basic randomizer, but it's nice to have the option.

I don't know how long the campaign itself is, though after two worlds of ten levels each (the first being a tutorial), I already see a branching path, so there's probably a good bit (and again, the actual levels seem to be randomized, so you could do the campaign again and get different levels). And this is all only $6 and to me seems very much worth it considering the thought the devs put into this (though I got it for half-off the night before, so if you're really cheap you can probably wait for a sale), so if this sounds at all interesting to you I highly recommend giving it a shot.

That's a lot of words for a simple indie Minesweeper/Picross combo game, but I'd love to see more posts on hidden and overlooked indies in this thread, and what better way than to be the change you want to see?

Mega64 posted:

Anyway, I'm gonna recommend another game I don't think has been mentioned in the thread yet, Gabbuchi

The goal is to get to the heart-shaped cookie at the end. All you can do is jump and switch colors. Your jump is always 2.5 blocks high, and you can change color on a whim with the shoulder buttons.

The trick is Gabbuchi will eat blocks the same color as him, so if he's white he can stand on red blocks just fine, but will gobble any white block he comes in contact with. Thus the game revolves around figuring out which blocks you need to not break to progress. And of course, there's additional incentives to gobble all possible blocks you can, and to do so with minimal color changes.

Here's a video of a level I finished in World 4 (of 15) for an idea of what levels are like past the initial batch.

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1225401679140360192

There are 180 levels total, and there's also a level editor, though bizarrely there's no way I can see to play other people's levels.

Also there is a demo available if you want to try it out. I got it on sale, but once again it seems the sale is already over by the time I wrote this up. Still, seems worth full-price to me if you like puzzle platformers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

could you spare a botw2 trailer in this trying time? please I beg of you my family is dying

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No New Zelda until BOTW, which ended up being a Switch game. It's great if you wanna play Old Zelda, but they launched the console with a Windwaker Remake

Like I don't think it's a mistake BOTW + Mario Odyssey came out in the first year of the Switch, I'm sure at some point they just wanted to write off the Wii U and see if they could make the next system a success. But even from a quality of First-Party games point of view Wii U is one of the weakest Nintendo consoles

This is wrong. The WiiU came out in 2012 and then Wind Waker didn't drop until sometime in 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I gotta disagree on the tells in Color Splash, they were extremely telegraphed and obvious.

I feel I have to roleplay with the developers, in particular I remember this battle with Lemmy where you had to use a discoball to make him dance (WHY). And then you have to use the ice pick to break his ball. But what you don't know is he's going to swap his ball for a spikey ball, THEN you're supposed to use the discoball, then the ice pick. If he's not dancing, you waste the ice pick, if you use it before he comes back with the spikey ball, you can't finish the battle. Then you have to go back to town, talk to the clue toad, get back all your Things

You spend a lot of time hoarding Things so you don't always know what they do. And you're always reticent to use them because you don't want to have to go back to Port Prisma—it's an insufferable game