Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deca-dence

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1271276361223671808

Story posted:

Many years have passed since humanity was driven to the brink of extinction by the sudden emergence of the unknown life forms Gadoll. Those humans that survived now dwell in a 3000m-high mobile fortress Deca-dence built to protect themselves from the Gadoll threat.
Denizens of Deca-dence fall into two categories: Gears, warriors who fight the Gadoll daily, and Tankers, those without the skills to fight. One day, Natsume, a Tanker girl who dreams of becoming a Gear meets surly Kaburagi, an armor repairman of Deca-dence.
This chance meeting between the seemingly two opposites, the girl with a positive attitude who never gives up on her dreams and the realist who has given up on his, will eventually shake the future course of this world.

Blurb posted:

A brand new original TV animation project from the up-and-coming and talented animation studio NUT that brought the megahit “The Saga of Tanya the Evil” series to both the TV screen and the silver screen is now finally on the move!
Bringing together an all-star staff of creators and artists, this gut-wrenching Sci-Fi action epic depicted on an astounding scale will reunite the golden duo of world-renowned director Yuzuru Tachikawa (10 billion-yen international blockbuster “Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer”, his self-penned “Death Parade” etc.) and scriptwriter Hiroshi Seko (“Banana Fish”, “Vinland Saga” etc.) who worked together on the popular TV animation adaptation of “Mob Psycho 100.”

Website: http://decadence-anime.com/en/ (yes, an ENGLISH version and it's all good english afaict)

As said in the blurb above, the series is directed by the creator and director of Death Parade and the short that inspired it. He also directed the Mob Psycho 100 anime. The studio at the helm has only one other series under its belt but at the moment looks promising.

Funimation, Wakanib, and Animelab have the stream rights for the West.

Characters

Natusme

quote:

A girl who lost her father and her right arm due to a Gadoll attack when she was a child. She dreams of joining The Power and fight the Gadoll as a warrior, but reality bites, and ends up working under Kaburagi as an armor repairer. Cheerful, energetic, and reckless.

Kaburagi

quote:

A veteran armor repairer, he is blunt and surly. Was once a great warrior but has lost the ardor to fight and spends his days apathetically. But his state of mind starts to change through his encounter with Natsume who never gives up on her dreams.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Best boy!

At least until the inevitable betrayal :ohdear:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i actually cheered when i saw the result of that incredibly elaborate transformation sequence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Studio Nut

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Studio Nut

I think you mean NUT

phbr
Jan 6, 2013

The Vegetable of Doom
The only thing I didn't like about the first episode was the whole "students reciting the history of the world" sequence. It's an uninteresting way to convey that information to the audience to begin with, and it felt especially pointless here because the rest of the episode actually did a really good job of showing everything in a more natural way.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Looks promising! Also I'm shocked nobody posted Natsume faces yet. Or that cute gross pet thing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

phbr posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the first episode was the whole "students reciting the history of the world" sequence. It's an uninteresting way to convey that information to the audience to begin with, and it felt especially pointless here because the rest of the episode actually did a really good job of showing everything in a more natural way.

Yeah that was kind of lazy. The students being assigned their jobs did just as much worldbuilding really.

They've created a really neat setting here that I hope doesn't go to waste as some of the setup has a bit of Franxx vibes (without the sexual overtones.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that was kind of lazy. The students being assigned their jobs did just as much worldbuilding really.

They've created a really neat setting here that I hope doesn't go to waste as some of the setup has a bit of Franxx vibes (without the sexual overtones.)

Franxx was built around paleocon bullshit from the opening monologue onwards. I really doubt we can expect anything like that from Deca-Dence.

Personally, I'm more wondering if/when things are going to go all Matrix.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i have no idea what this show is "about" yet, but they pack so much personality into Natsume that i don't care. the sense of scale when they're on their swings repairing the fortress is great too, a couple shots definitely triggered my fear of heights. the chief staff have a pretty good pedigree between them, here's hoping this doesn't become another big nothing like Kabaneri or a disaster like Franxx, though it already seems to have more thought and care involved than either.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
My fist is the fist that will fist the heavens.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I really liked episode 2, and I want to see where this goes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm tempted to ask for a change to the thread title, because holy gently caress this series took a hosed up turn. Also, I'm not sure what the new thread title would be that wouldn't also give it away.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hahahah i had a feeling there was no way tachikawa had gone all in on just another postapoc mecha show

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Time to row row fight the powa

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lmao, this show really does not hold back. LARP God Eater performed by AI wage-slave streamers with a captive human population as NPCs is transcendently insane as a premise.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

extremely good OP too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So presumably part of Natsume's accident hosed up her chip and had her declared dead and no one working for the game noticed

If you haven't checked out the website, (but have seen the series), do so. There's some neat stuff like blurbs about the Gadoll

Avispine:

Octhulu:

Giland:

Deca-Dence concept art:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the first episode was kinda boring and figured something was up with how weird the gears looked. The second episode made things much more interesting and I'm glad they got the secret ulterior motives thing out in the open right off the bat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What the gently caress? So AI programs control human gears to fight the monsters? So when a human gets assigned to the fighting group, they just become a host or something? I'm assuming the other jobs are just regular human tasks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought the first episode was kinda boring and figured something was up with how weird the gears looked. The second episode made things much more interesting and I'm glad they got the secret ulterior motives thing out in the open right off the bat.

I thought the First episode was already relatively interesting, but I did wonder about the same. Episode 2 obviously dialed it up a notch

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Kingtheninja posted:

What the gently caress? So AI programs control human gears to fight the monsters? So when a human gets assigned to the fighting group, they just become a host or something? I'm assuming the other jobs are just regular human tasks.
I think only the brightly-coloured people are AI, with the exception of the co-protagonist who's in disguise. I think the other humans are just there to back up the AI.
I'm definitely on board with this twist, and I appreciate that they leaped right to it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first episode mentioned that humans think gears are a separate, stronger species, and there are humans in The Power but they're the minority.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have to admit I wasn't as sold on the twist as folks here seem to be but by episode end I really want to see where this craziness goes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sindai posted:

The first episode mentioned that humans think gears are a separate, stronger species, and there are humans in The Power but they're the minority.

Must have missed that, it clears a lot up. Wacky show but I'll buckle in for a while anyway.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I'm a big fan of them using the mobile base's giant cannon to propel a huge fist to punch the monsters instead of just shooting the monsters with it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'm a big fan of them using the mobile base's giant cannon to propel a huge fist to punch the monsters instead of just shooting the monsters with it.

Shooting them would be a waste of sweet, sweet goo.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

Shooting them would be a waste of sweet, sweet goo.

So they have finally made the esports anime...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Checked this out because people were talking it up in the seasonal thread and all I can say is holy poo poo...

The OP loving rules too.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Um

Well then

I guess I'm all in now

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
2 minutes into ep 2. I had to pause and go here to say gently caress THIS.

Lol at that reveal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, didn't Death Parade do something similar? Episode setting up a high-concept but familiar premise, followed by a big twist that turns the whole story on its head? So the hotel is actually a testing ground where deceased souls have their worth judged by an impartial arbiter through randomly-selected games... but the arbiter isn't wise and all-knowing but completely incompetent, and it's up to the newbie to fix their mistakes as a pawn in an elaborate game of office politics.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Finally an anime that gets 5he true hell of gacha games

Episode sold me on the show. I'm all in for this riden

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
ALL IN

https://i.imgur.com/iTtwJwy.mp4

Are mp4s/webms busted for everyone, or just me?

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 17, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Maxwell Adams posted:

Are mp4s/webms busted for everyone, or just me?

I have no idea why but when I upload .mp4 files I made in Photoshop to Imgur it blows up the resolution. If I upload it as an old-school gif and let the site do the conversion to .mp4 it stays the correct size.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I love how the main guy still has the same voice as a cute robot

The first episode was fine but I'm 100% on board now

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know what I like the most about this story? The player/gear mythology that they are a superior species, unthreatened by the terrifying gadolls, is a Lie. They are just as unfree as the endangered humans confined to Deca-Dence. They are just as exploited as the humans they use to harvest oxyone.

Their only advantage is that their upload society has a taboo against directly peering into the thoughts of individuals, but even then, they are bound by concepts of Thoughtcrime.

Kaburagi's motivation is that he can finally rebel against the system that oppresses him in a meaningful way, all because he stumbled on someone who falls outside this system. The writers probably thought long and hard about how to introduce this motivation, and at some point threw up their hands and said "gently caress it let's drop this story beat in episode 2".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess the Gears we saw getting a funeral in the first minute were humans, which is why Natsume has a chance of blending in. Presumably, they're like NPC battlefield allies for the real players.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess the Gears we saw getting a funeral in the first minute were humans, which is why Natsume has a chance of blending in. Presumably, they're like NPC battlefield allies for the real players.

"Gears" is a species, humans regard them as people born to fight. "The Power" is the organization that fights the gadolls, which has a few humans join with them.

I dont see Gears having superiority complexes against humans from what I've seen so far they see everything through the lenses of who they are. Which means they see them just as disposable as themselves.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They also implied that the loss of a Gear body is a big loss to its user even if it's not fatal.

Also was this episode implying that Natsume couldn't become a soldier just because she is a non-entity in the system?

I'm guessing some higher up humans know her deal and kept her application from even showing up to avoid red flags.