Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What I would like to see is a Mario & Luigi game (rip AlphaDream) that's drawn in the style of WarioLand Shake It. That series would lend itself well to hand drawn art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aUATjq2zfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

could you spare a botw2 trailer in this trying time? please I beg of you my family is dying

My uncle at Nintendo hacked the servers and found the trailer for the Skyward Sword remake they're going to announce later today during the surprise Sunday Nintendo Direct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4DeHTo6hUI

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Ytlaya posted:

I've been playing Catherine Full Body, and this is possibly the worst I've ever been at a video game. I'm normally pretty good at puzzle games, but definitely not this one. I have trouble even on Easy difficulty.

I think the issue is that I have extremely bad spatial skills, so I have a very difficult time imagining the end result of moving blocks.

I found it helped a lot to play the Rapunzel arcade game at the bar as it’s basically the puzzle mode with no time limit. Doing about 20 of those stages made me a lot better at knowing the behavior of blocks and what type of movement was possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cartoon Man posted:

You’ll eventually do what I did and get a Switch Lite that’s yours alone. Kids and wife can fight over the other one.

Looking at the system's game library it's not the unlikeliest thing...

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Finally playing Tropical Freeze, and it's amazing that even one of the best platformers of the past decade still has loving awful underwater levels

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bosses are worse than the underwater levels

Underwater boss....

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
A new botw2 trailer will probably be a big mixed bag of emotions after the ambiguity of the first trailer. There probably will be a lot of disappointment if it shows us we're playing only as Link again.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The bosses are good but the rocket levels are abhorrent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Final Botw Update:-

I did it. I finished the game, every one kept saying how the finale was disappointing, so my expectations were low, however I thought it was loving awesome.

The final approach to the castle was hype as poo poo.

If fighting Ganons first form was the case then yes, but loving hell fighting the mountain sized boar on horseback, that was hype as poo poo. Zelda unleashing her final Kamehameha? that was loving HYPE AS poo poo.

I literally got chills down my spine, the final conversation with Zelda, The final two lines specifically were incredible, ' hero of hyrule' sent a tear rolled down my eye, the story didnt need to say any more than it did, I was scared they were gonna do a whole 'Ocarina of TIme' giant expo closer. but no, we dont need to, we know who princess zelda is from all of the exposition leading up to this.

We remember you princess zelda, you were the only thing that's familiar to us in a world that has ling since moved past us. :unsmith: This is by far the best characterization of Zelda ever.

The Entire post credits sequence of them moving away from the castle, two people with a new start in life, unfettered by the past and their friends finally seeing off these young people who will go bravely live a new life in a new world. It made me bawl my eye out, this ending loving rocks, this game loving rocks. :qq: :qq:

Overall 10/10 this is my favorite single player game ever. a loving masterpiece. what a complete loving incredible masterpiece. they did the impossible. they made Studio Ghibli:- the Game.

I didnt get everything, and I will surely be back for short visits every once in a while, but I leave this game now completely and utterly satisfied. Thank you Breath of the Wild, Thank you Nintendo, Thank you Eiji Aonuma. you really made these last seven months magical.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 12, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought Ganon's Castle was my favorite part of the game. I actually would have been hype if more parts of the game were open ended mini dungeons like that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

A new botw2 trailer will probably be a big mixed bag of emotions after the ambiguity of the first trailer. There probably will be a lot of disappointment if it shows us we're playing only as Link again.

No there won’t

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fallom posted:

No there won’t

People convinced themselves that you were going to play as zelda in the first BOTW and acted shocked when you played as Link so I'm sure there will be people mad at the inevitable reality here too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I thought Ganon's Castle was my favorite part of the game. I actually would have been hype if more parts of the game were open ended mini dungeons like that.

When I played through botw I foolishly never went through Ganon's Castle at all. I climbed one of the big pillar things, used the up draft move and glided to the top.

Really felt smart at the time, but I get the impression I cheated myself there

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I entered through the front gates and stormed up the path to the castle doors and it felt great because the first time I poked around the whole place felt like a death trap.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People convinced themselves that you were going to play as zelda in the first BOTW and acted shocked when you played as Link so I'm sure there will be people mad at the inevitable reality here too.

Nintendo themselves sparked that confusion by playing dumb about the initial BOTW trailer. During an interview Aonuma was asked about the vaguely feminine hero dressed in blue, wielding a bow, and said something like "We never said that character was Link." I don't remember if it was a mistranslation or if they just backpedaled afterwards, but that's where the speculation about a playable Zelda or female Link analogue came from.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fallom posted:

No there won’t

There absolutely will be

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah i don't want the whole she's stuck in dungeons, while you can only be link, when the trailer suggests it would be link stuck and Zelda running around.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 12, 2020

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I heard you play as the horse in this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al-Saqr posted:

Final Botw Update:-

I did it. I finished the game, every one kept saying how the finale was disappointing, so my expectations were low, however I thought it was loving awesome.

The final approach to the castle was hype as poo poo.

If fighting Ganons first form was the case then yes, but loving hell fighting the mountain sized boar on horseback, that was hype as poo poo. Zelda unleashing her final Kamehameha? that was loving HYPE AS poo poo.

I literally got chills down my spine, the final conversation with Zelda, The final two lines specifically were incredible, ' hero of hyrule' sent a tear rolled down my eye, the story didnt need to say any more than it did, I was scared they were gonna do a whole 'Ocarina of TIme' giant expo closer. but no, we dont need to, we know who princess zelda is from all of the exposition leading up to this.

We remember you princess zelda, you were the only thing that's familiar to us in a world that has ling since moved past us. :unsmith: This is by far the best characterization of Zelda ever.

The Entire post credits sequence of them moving away from the castle, two people with a new start in life, unfettered by the past and their friends finally seeing off these young people who will go bravely live a new life in a new world. It made me bawl my eye out, this ending loving rocks, this game loving rocks. :qq: :qq:

Overall 10/10 this is my favorite single player game ever. a loving masterpiece. what a complete loving incredible masterpiece. they did the impossible. they made Studio Ghibli:- the Game.

I didnt get everything, and I will surely be back for short visits every once in a while, but I leave this game now completely and utterly satisfied. Thank you Breath of the Wild, Thank you Nintendo, Thank you Eiji Aonuma. you really made these last seven months magical.

One thing I really liked with BotW is they did a nice twist on the classic pious priestess-esque Zelda by having all the prophecies and history clearly expect her this way... and instead all the mystical poo poo doesn't work like it should because Zelda doesn't have time for silly things like blind dogmatic faith. She'd rather just go out and find a scientific way to stop Ganon herself by poking at all the Shrines intended for the Hero :science:.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Len posted:

There absolutely will be

There would be a lot of hysterics from a few people who convince themselves their opinion is shared by the vast majority of non-extremely online people who actually don't give a gently caress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

There would be a lot of hysterics from a few people who convince themselves their opinion is shared by the vast majority of non-extremely online people who actually don't give a gently caress

That's probably far more accurate but man are those posts going to be great to read

It'll be like the Pokemon meltdowns all over again only even more insane because the BotW 2 leaks are getting everyone far too hyped. I saw one come across my news feed that was a 30 minute youtube video about a guy explaining why the next game would have Link going underwater and swimming in the ocean. I didn't watch it because it was 30 minute video based on a 2 minute trailer and lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not gonna be surprised when Zelda falls down a hole and gets kidnapped by the spooky zombie thing, but it is gonna be pretty lame after BotW's whole deal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd like zelda to be playable

I don't think that's unreasonable

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd like zelda to be playable

I don't think that's unreasonable

No-one said it wasn't

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If Beedle is not playable I'm burning down these loving forums.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zelda, playable or not, will definitely be running around on the overworld. I know this because her hair is short in the trailer.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Computer, show me the worst possible take about Tropical Freeze.

jackhunter64 posted:

The bosses are good but the rocket levels are abhorrent.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

RandomFerret posted:

Zelda, playable or not, will definitely be running around on the overworld. I know this because her hair is short in the trailer.

I see the joke but Nintendo did a lot of purposefully vague poo poo with the initial BOTW trailers that made it look like you had actual companions in the Champions and that Zelda would actually be around, when it turns out every single one of those things shown were flashbacks and didn't interact with gameplay in any way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Today I'm going to talk about Frost, a deckbuilder with an emphasis on resource management and dealing with the pressure of time.

If you're wanting to buy it, I suggest grabbing the Indie Card Game Bundle version, as it's on sale and thus cheaper than the standalone game right now and comes with another deckbuilder called Monster Slayers, which is fine enough.

It starts off pretty bare bones, but as you play you unlock multiple modes of play as well as multiple scenarios with different characters and powers.

The gameplay loop is simple enough. You start with four survivors, two food, two material, and two fatigue cards. The goal is to travel a set amount of distance, though some modes might have alternate ways of victory. To travel, you have to dedicate your main resources (Survivors, Food, and Material) to the region card before you can move on. Fatigue cards are worthless and exist to clog your deck.

Survivors can also be used to gather more resource cards, including more Survivors, though they can also bring Fatigue cards and can even die sometimes if you're unlucky.

Up top are Idea cards, which can net you more resources, give you special resources like Attack or Speech to deal with certain event cards, or help you draw more cards. They cost resources, and if those resources have a slash, you lose that resource permanently. Some cards have a base effect if you use it normally (so in this case, a 1 in 4 chance of gaining a Food) as well as a special effect (for this one, discard a Survivor to guarantee a gained Food). You start with two available for purchase, and gain another each round until you travel.

The trick is, you start at eight Frost. If you hit 0, you die and lose. Every turn you remain in an area, the counter goes down one, though it also increases by one every time you travel (but not above eight).

Thus there's a bit of risk/reward involved, as sometimes you might encounter Cannibals and are able to move to the next region yet cannot take care of them that turn. If you take the hit, you either lose a life point (you start at 4, and most characters can trade them for bonus effects) or kill a Survivor or Pet you may have in your hand. Or you might have to pass up on a good idea card to ensure you stay ahead of the Frost.

It can be difficult to maintain the right balance of resources, especially since you lose most of the ones you spend on idea cards. Materials, for example, aren't required to travel as often as Survivors or especially Food, but they're also the one you'll most likely be short of due to so many idea cards costing those materials, not to mention effects like the Torch that let you choose one of two cards to encounter by trashing one Material card.

It also has a very slow drip feed of content as you go, which will either help replayability or possibly turn you off. You unlock more idea and event cards as you play, and eventually you unlock scenarios, where beating those scenarios unlocks those characters' powers in Classic mode. Classic also lets you set criteria like how many objectives you must fulfill or how much distance you must travel, as well as an Endless mode. And that's just from the stuff I've unlocked so far!

If you want a more methodical deckbuilder that goes more towards adapting to your situation and making the best with what little you have, I recommend Frost. I've been having a blast since picking up the Indie Card Game Bundle several days ago, and I'll happily put more time in as I wait for more deckbuilders besides this and Slay the Spire to hit the eShop.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'll double down because I'm right: the rocket level that opens with the beautiful rearranged version of Stickerbrush Symphony but then immediately replaces it with the stupid PARP PARP PARP music once you hop in the barrel is the lowest point of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it's fair to point out that Princess Peach has been playable significantly more often than Princess Zelda.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

On the other hand, Princess Zelda has had more games where she's the sole playable protagonist than Princess Peach (two CD-i games to Super Princess Peach)

Though Peach's is probably the only one even close to good, as problematic as it may be (though I've never played SPP so I'm just assuming it's at least decent).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the worst sin a game can commit. It's boring.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

This is wrong. The WiiU came out in 2012 and then Wind Waker didn't drop until sometime in 2013

Oh boy the Wii U had a bad launch lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

You know what. The Rocket levels are super fun, but they didn't quite feel like platforming for me.

Al-Saqr posted:

It really is an amazing ride. I tried re-playing it about 18 months afterwards and I had spent so much time in game that I still knew too well what to do, so I'm giving it even more time. It's the sort of game that proves perfectly well why we play them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Even if you get past the problematic stuff, Super Princess Peach is a very unremarkable platformer. Level design isn’t anything noteworthy and the Calm power basically ensures you never die.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nintendo generally has terrible launches. Usually just one stellar game (Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Smash Melee if you count it) and if you're lucky one other decent game (like F-Zero and Pilotwings 64, though hilariously for the latter those two were the only launch games for the N64).

Switch weirdly enough had one of the best launches in Breath of the Wild and Shovel Knight, even though those were available elsewhere (especially SK). At least that F-Zero clone was alright.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I always just assumed Super Princess Peach was a mediocre but still decent platformer with some really stupid decisions in regard to making emotions a key mechanic for the first major release with their token "Damsel in Distress" being the lead. A shame the game isn't even that good, then.

At least Peach has SMB2 (which, did you know was based on a game called Doki Doki Panic in Japan, kind of an obscure fact) and 3D World where her float powers still kick rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Nintendo generally has terrible launches. Usually just one stellar game (Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Smash Melee if you count it) and if you're lucky one other decent game (like F-Zero and Pilotwings 64, though hilariously for the latter those two were the only launch games for the N64).

Switch weirdly enough had one of the best launches in Breath of the Wild and Shovel Knight, even though those were available elsewhere (especially SK). At least that F-Zero clone was alright.

One stellar game on console release is a way better launch than what most consoles have

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Today I'm going to talk about Frost, a deckbuilder with an emphasis on resource management and dealing with the pressure of time.

Interesting. I actually really dislike deckbuilding games, but it's a really neat medium and it's cool to see what people make with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Interesting. I actually really dislike deckbuilding games, but it's a really neat medium and it's cool to see what people make with them.

I should preface by saying I'm a huge fan of deckbuilders, with Dominion being my all-time favorite board game, so I've got a soft spot for the genre, as mediocre as the genre can be in the board game space.

Luckily the video game space is picking up the slack there.