Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

overdesigned posted:

Hey I did this too. Now I've got all the Tier 6 materials fully automated to my big ol' base. Which is a horrible rats nest of stuff, I should really level it and rebuild it...again...

I spent the time and bussed like 80% of all the iron in the grssslands starting area to a central smelting center

Then piped a third of it back to my previous screws/rods/sheets construction tower and saturated it so no I have an extra over. Head of iron ingots to bus some where if I need it

Well worth the time to be able to have effectively maxed out all the local iron in an area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Project Pave The Entire World is making progress.

MAP (potential map spoilers if you care): https://i.imgur.com/Eb4V39D.jpg
Beauty in its purest form:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Project Pave The Entire World is making progress.

MAP (potential map spoilers if you care): https://i.imgur.com/Eb4V39D.jpg
Beauty in its purest form:

I used that area actions mod to pave a large area, but in testing it i found you could crash the game pretty easy if you try and pave too large of an area...so sadly Operation Block out the Sun didn't go very well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I am doing this by hand because I am an insane person.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I spent my entire sunday morning and part of an afternoon making this Turbofuel factory. This is running in (near) perfect ratios off a single 300 m3/s oil field. My small experimental plastic/rubber/fuel/packaged fuel factory (before I unlocked all the alt recipes this requires) is in the background. I still need to import about 630/min of compacted coal, that will eventually come in via train... somewhere. There's a sink on the one side of the Heavy Oil Residue refineries to sink the Polymer resin to keep it all running.

The nice part is once I generate enough plastic containers, it will self-sustain. I built in the ability to add more by throwing them into an industrial container along the lines between the unpackaged fuel and Packaged water lines (Can't see them in the screenshot). I could have technically saved a whole water pump since there's 7 on each side and you need 1 pump for 2 packaged water, but I was lazy and didn't build high enough to miss the arch which is between the fuel and turbofuel production parts, and had laid enough that I didn't want to restart the whole process, since without the arch in the way I simply would have made one set of 3 lines of refineries at 14 long instead of six total lines of 7.

The fuel generation portion makes three full 300m3/s lines, each one of which feeds a full 14 Turbo Fuel refineries. Each set of 14 gives enough to power 58 fuel generators at full tilt, for a whopping ~175 fuel generators to (eventually) be powered off this monstrosity.

I hadn't calculated that last part until just now so I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere, but what the gently caress? That's insane. Is that 26,250 MW? Did I gently caress up my math?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I figured out why this game is so addictive. It's basically playing with lego.

Someone took my greatest memories from childhood and combined it with my biggest fear (math). It's sick.

Anyway I got to the train research and realized how hosed up production is getting and I just kind of bounced off of the game for now. I've got all my production stuff centralized and pushed to one area and it seems nice, but it's getting too complex. I might get back into it at some point but I definitely got my money worth already. I need to step away or this poo poo will just consume me.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Did anyone else notice the Battlezone 2 influence?

For sure some of the Devs or artists played it back in the day

It's a FPS RTS that has minor power management and strong base building mechanics.

As well as resource node mining and upgrading said miners( which isn't crazy original I know)

The aesthetic though, undeniably inspired

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

vandalism posted:

I figured out why this game is so addictive. It's basically playing with lego.

Someone took my greatest memories from childhood and combined it with my biggest fear (math). It's sick.

Anyway I got to the train research and realized how hosed up production is getting and I just kind of bounced off of the game for now. I've got all my production stuff centralized and pushed to one area and it seems nice, but it's getting too complex. I might get back into it at some point but I definitely got my money worth already. I need to step away or this poo poo will just consume me.

same tbh. I'm far enough that I should basically start my factory over but that seems overwhelmingly tedious. I do like exploring the map quite a bit. When I'm stressing about big projects in this game I start to realize just how pointless it really is

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CharlesThunder posted:

same tbh. I'm far enough that I should basically start my factory over but that seems overwhelmingly tedious. I do like exploring the map quite a bit. When I'm stressing about big projects in this game I start to realize just how pointless it really is

Well, you could always start a new factory in the same game in a different area of the map. With a full inventory of parts you can build your entire set of production lines from scratch with everything already unlocked, and don't forget you can relocate your hub and space elevator!

The sense of pointlessness is harder to shake though, since we don't actually have an endgame yet. Just have everything in production somewhere, and maybe work toward the fancy statues.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

reliable multi-player would make this impossible to put down. or if there were boss aliens that dropped rare components you could only kill with endgame poo poo like a teleporter or fighter pilot or something. for some reason goals like that are easier to work towards than a checklist .

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

CharlesThunder posted:

reliable multi-player would make this impossible to put down. or if there were boss aliens that dropped rare components you could only kill with endgame poo poo like a teleporter or fighter pilot or something. for some reason goals like that are easier to work towards than a checklist .

I would also accept more niche type goals

Like goals that prioritise efficiency in the early game to assist with onboarding

I like the space elevator parts that like don't *do* anything as a way to structure a factory though

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

You know how the game automatically places poles for you if you drag out a power connection to an empty area? Is there any way to make it automatically place a mk2 or mk3 pole instead of the mk1 pole?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LLSix posted:

You know how the game automatically places poles for you if you drag out a power connection to an empty area? Is there any way to make it automatically place a mk2 or mk3 pole instead of the mk1 pole?

I don't know if it can, but you can just select a mk2 pole and it will upgrade the mk1 pole.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I am doing this by hand because I am an insane person.

RE: Satisfactory: Doing This By Hand Due To Insanity

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I had a satisfying couple game seasions the last week where I had to build 16 new coal generators at an outpost in the middle of a blackout

Ferrying supplies between my main base and outpost knowing I had limited solid biofuel and jump-starting the coal generators using the biofuel in my little explorer was a great moment of like emergent, self indulgent ingenuity

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

RE: Satisfactory: Doing This By Hand Due To Insanity

I hope they added the ability to place multiple foundations at once and a copy/paste ability. After I got Mk3 miners I started fully utilizing nodes and the amount of buildings required is bananas.

e: yes I know there's a mod for the former

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Foundation placement should work like click-and-hold building in Supreme Commander. A single click builds, a click and hold lets you build a line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Area-build for walls, foundations and maybe stackable supports is pretty straightforward to conceptualise so I'm sure that'll get added in sooner or later.

Copy-paste and blueprints are trickier; it's much harder to design than Factorio due to the 3D. How do you select the desired area to copy from first-person? How do you handle buildings that are behind other structures relative to the player? Do you rely on them to go through and tag everything they want to copy like you do with the deconstructor, running the risk of letting someone stamp out thirty copies of a modular frame plant just to find they missed a power pole somewhere in the middle of it all? Do you select everything in an area of the screen to infinite depth, running the risk that your blueprint contains an unrelated factory half a mile in the distance? Do you require blueprints to be set up in a dedicated space, denying the convenience of copying an existing construction? And even once you've got the copying sorted, how do you handle pasting your blueprint onto terrain that's a different shape from where you got it?
It's not an impossible problem or anything but there's a lot of decisions to make so I don't blame them for not having a solution available yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Area-build for walls, foundations and maybe stackable supports is pretty straightforward to conceptualise so I'm sure that'll get added in sooner or later.

Copy-paste and blueprints are trickier; it's much harder to design than Factorio due to the 3D. How do you select the desired area to copy from first-person? How do you handle buildings that are behind other structures relative to the player? Do you rely on them to go through and tag everything they want to copy like you do with the deconstructor, running the risk of letting someone stamp out thirty copies of a modular frame plant just to find they missed a power pole somewhere in the middle of it all? Do you select everything in an area of the screen to infinite depth, running the risk that your blueprint contains an unrelated factory half a mile in the distance? Do you require blueprints to be set up in a dedicated space, denying the convenience of copying an existing construction? And even once you've got the copying sorted, how do you handle pasting your blueprint onto terrain that's a different shape from where you got it?
It's not an impossible problem or anything but there's a lot of decisions to make so I don't blame them for not having a solution available yet.

A better solution to the copy-paste issue would be to triple all the values of the things that need to copied a lot. You need huge numbers of all the power generators and laying them out isn't fun after the first few. So increase both the resource consumption and power provided so players don't have to stamp so many out. You still get to deal with the water production puzzle and needing to find ever more coal/oil.

Similarly, stop incrementally slowing down how quickly items are produced as they get higher in tiers. Satisfactory is not Factorio and is not well designed for scaling up or building huge numbers of constructors/assemblers/manufacturers. Stop pretending it is and make game design decisions that fit the game they built instead of forcing people into boring, tedious tasks where the main difficulty comes from fighting the game's UI.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Can you stack ramps? I want a big smooth incline but can never get them to snap.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CharlesThunder posted:

Can you stack ramps? I want a big smooth incline but can never get them to snap.

There are foundation ramps that you can get to flow together by placing a 1x1 foundation beneath one ramp and then lining up a second ramp with it. There are better ramps in the Awesome Shop that will snap together more easily.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Copy and paste mainly just needs some smart limitations to work in 3d. You can almost make it the same solution as wide area foundation laying. Ex. Define foundations as a width and length and you plop it by holding it at a corner, middle edge, or center. A blueprint is defined by selecting a number of foundations and it bakes in anything connected to that foundation. You then plop it like a similar size length x width foundation. The behavior is portable to a click and drag foundation system too.

The technical handling of stuff like terminating belts that run out of the blueprint makes it more of a technical cliff than anything they can just do instantly. More pointing out there's options to manage both UX and scope that isn't just invent a wide area 3d selection box an in universe avatar can use.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Satisfactory is designed to produce expansive factories. Rebalancing the game to make factories smaller just so completely misses the point.

Satisfying tier requirements is also meant to take some time, time the player is supposed to spend exploring and connecting up new resources. Really what is missing is more stuff to make exploring more rewarding, not new methods to make it quicker to burn through all the content and unlock everything. (Well, maybe a turbo production game mode might work)

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Fangz posted:

Satisfactory is designed to produce expansive factories. Rebalancing the game to make factories smaller just so completely misses the point.

Satisfying tier requirements is also meant to take some time, time the player is supposed to spend exploring and connecting up new resources. Really what is missing is more stuff to make exploring more rewarding, not new methods to make it quicker to burn through all the content and unlock everything. (Well, maybe a turbo production game mode might work)

I'm hoping they use whatever the somersloop and Mercier spheres to address exploration value. I think that crashed pods with alt recipes and scattered high tier mats that you can get early are pretty cool, but I agree that there needs to be more reward.

Along that line, I also think that the map needs to be implemented in a better way. It's not their fault that I looked at the interactive map online to find optimal areas, of course, but I think a lot of people use that utility over the map stuff. If it added some sort of interaction with the world then it would make the system better. I'm thinking teleportation waypoint, lifeform scanners that add berries/nuts/carapace, or something along those lines would really make the crystal research line more appealing. Maybe a satellite relal that gives an orbital bombardment, or a pod pickup that enables fast travel back to the hub.

I want more interaction with the world in some ways.

I haven't even properly set up my oil stuff or made heavy frames correctly, though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
What I would like are some sort of stackable refinery. They're too tall! If you want to make two stories of them you need two pumps per pipeline.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The game already has a fast travel system. It's called hyper cannons and jelly pads.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

They should really make an inline hypertube accelerator I can just stick on existing tubes. It's a bit silly that I have to fuss with getting the cannons set up just right.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It'd probably be better to just make the existing hyptertubes 2-3 times faster. As it stands they're pretty lackluster for something that requires a direct connection (unless you deliberately exploit physics bugs)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sure later tiers will add a hypertube mk 2.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Hmm, what if I apply the map editor conveyor-belt teleportation trick to a hypertube...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I dont think I want blueprints - the game doesn't really suit them, it's not factorio and shouldnt try to be - but it's too hard to build things, and it's as hard to build things late-game as it is early game. There should be _something_ that gives a sense of progression with construction in a similar way that construction bots, or logistics bots, or blueprints in general, do in factorio.

the way that factorio gives you juuuuust long enough doing x by hand before making it feasible to automate x is excellent, and satisfactory should have more of those loops

Fangz posted:

I'm sure later tiers will add a hypertube mk 2.
hyper2be

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

CharlesThunder posted:

No. Well, they'll snap side-by-side, which makes increasing the width of a ramp relatively easy, but doesn't help climb in the first place. You have two options.

1) Buy the double ramps from the awesome shop. These do snap to each other.

2) Do what Ben Nerevarine said. Lay down a ramp, then lay down a flat foundation attached to the top. Lay down the next ramp on the flat piece. Going up is much, much easier than building a ramp going down.

Uh, a third option is to build a ladder using the lookout tower or the stackable conveyor platforms that have ladders on the side.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think at minimum, have an option to treat foundations like conveyor belts. Click once to set the first foundation and its rotation and then drag the mouse in one of the cardinal directions to drag out a big row of them.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Double ramps were my second ficsit purchase and it fixes the early game exploration more or less.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

awesmoe posted:

I dont think I want blueprints - the game doesn't really suit them, it's not factorio and shouldnt try to be - but it's too hard to build things, and it's as hard to build things late-game as it is early game. There should be _something_ that gives a sense of progression with construction in a similar way that construction bots, or logistics bots, or blueprints in general, do in factorio.

the way that factorio gives you juuuuust long enough doing x by hand before making it feasible to automate x is excellent, and satisfactory should have more of those loops

hyper2be

I would appreciate some kind of like top down layout thing.

Like a "drone" that just gives me top down view could be cool and would help with the initial step of placing assemblers/constructers/ splittersd. Even if not high up , being quickly able to move from place to place with a more conducive viewpoint

Make it only able to fly above foundations, or give it a prohibitive fuel cost?

The foundations are great and under utilised imo

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fangz posted:

Placing 100x duplicate machines and power connections and conveyor belts with dozens of clicks per unit is not content it is busywork.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A fuel efficient hover mode for the jetpack would be nice for building stuff, yeah.

socialsecurity posted:

Placing 100x duplicate machines and power connections and conveyor belts with dozens of clicks per unit is not content it is busywork.

You really don't need 100x duplicate machines.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fangz posted:

A fuel efficient hover mode for the jetpack would be nice for building stuff, yeah.

You really don't need 100x duplicate machines.

Then why does it matter if we get a blueprint system to make mass production easier? Why is it so important that they manually place each piece for however many copies they need?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Even setting up 2-4 duplicate machines (which is entirely reasonable in a normal playthrough) with the requisite splitters, mergers, belts, and powerlines is significantly more tedious than building a similar setup in Factorio, despite the Factorio setup likely being significantly larger and more complicated (almost all manifold-production-manifold setups in Factorio are the same for each type of production machine). The limits of a 3D UI doesn't mean Satisfactory needs blueprints less, it means it needs them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Then why does it matter if we get a blueprint system to make mass production easier? Why is it so important that they manually place each piece for however many copies they need?

Let me explain again, what you are supposed to do is *not* hit the next tier as soon as possible. You are not suppose to scale up for mass production by clicking a thousand times or whatever until you can produce what you need in two minutes.

You are supposed to get your factory to the state where it will eventually produce what you require in an hour or so, and then spend that time exploring the map while the factory chugs away in the background. That's the loop. It means you intersperse building with other stuff so it doesn't get stale.

This is why blueprints are problematic, because you cut out half the game. What's the point in going hours across the map hunting recipes to speed up your factory, and going through the whole process of changing production lines, when you can copy paste and double your manufacture in a click? And then quadruple it. Octuple it? What's the point of power slugs for a power expensive +50% manufacture speed when you can just make two factories?

That's the content I mean. Not the content of a thousand clicks, the content of meaningful exploration and meeting the games challenges. If you can hurry the game up and just do more of the same thing and unlock everything without engaging in half the game, for me at least, it weakens things.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 14, 2020