Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there's increased demand because people are worried that Criterion might not exist a year or two from now due to the impact of the virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if there's increased demand because people are worried that Criterion might not exist a year or two from now due to the impact of the virus.

Is that a rumor? Cause it would suck real hard if that were the case. I’m just buying poo poo cause I’m stuck at home and don’t have anything else to do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Is that a rumor? Cause it would suck real hard if that were the case. I’m just buying poo poo cause I’m stuck at home and don’t have anything else to do.

No not at all but I just worry about any of these relatively small niche companies in general.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

No not at all but I just worry about any of these relatively small niche companies in general.

Okay phew, I have so many film school classics to buy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if there's increased demand because

Stimulus cash.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Actually went to an actual physical B&N location, was hoping they would have the Godzilla set but no luck. Got Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Time Bandits, Jabberwocky, Matewan, and Dazed & Confused. I'm really excited to watch Matewan for the first time, hadn't even heard of it until fairly recently, is it as good as I'm hoping it will be or should I temper my expectations?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

I'd assume that the big factor would be people are trapped inside so they have more time to watch movies. Plus how much shipment and restocking has been hosed up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My local B&N offers curbside and I work down the street, so I just did it that way since a ton of poo poo was out of stock online. Got Mishima, Paths of Glory, Election, Blue Velvet, and War of the Worlds. I also managed to grab a Bruce Lee preorder before that sold out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Stopped by a Raleigh, NC B&N and picked up...

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Boyhood
Night Train to Munich
Only Angels Have Wings
The Story of Temple Drake

and as I was checking out, I saw a lonely Zatoichi set hiding on a shelf. I assumed it was reserved, but it wasn't, so now I have it. Probably blew my budget for the rest of the month, but I can't resist box sets.

Hopefully The War of the Worlds, Come and See, Bruce Lee, The Lady Eve, and Taste of Cherry aren't terribly difficult to find later this month.

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's more that they are worried they, themselves won't exist a year or two from now.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double pack and will hopefully get the Bruce Lee boxset by the end of the month. I also just got a Criterion Channel sub to check out the Zatoichi and Godzilla movies to see if those box sets are worth it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hirsute posted:

I'm really excited to watch Matewan for the first time, hadn't even heard of it until fairly recently, is it as good as I'm hoping it will be or should I temper my expectations?

It is sublime.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lumbermouth posted:

I just got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double pack and will hopefully get the Bruce Lee boxset by the end of the month. I also just got a Criterion Channel sub to check out the Zatoichi and Godzilla movies to see if those box sets are worth it.

They are 100% worth it. Zatoichi was a blind buy and I absolutely love it. Godzilla was a set I’d been looking forward to for literal years and it was worth the wait.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Managed to snag a Bruce Lee set right out of the cardboard box as they were stocking the shelves. Very lucky, they only had two copies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Managed to snag a Bruce Lee set right out of the cardboard box as they were stocking the shelves. Very lucky, they only had two copies.

Woooah! Got that early shelf. You lucky dog.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hirsute posted:

Actually went to an actual physical B&N location, was hoping they would have the Godzilla set but no luck. Got Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Time Bandits, Jabberwocky, Matewan, and Dazed & Confused. I'm really excited to watch Matewan for the first time, hadn't even heard of it until fairly recently, is it as good as I'm hoping it will be or should I temper my expectations?

Matewan's very good, but when I rewatched it recently the movie was much drier and slowly paced than I had remembered from high school.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is The King of Jazz blind buyable?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It's mostly music so I'd assume so

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I wouldn't worry about Criterion going out of business. Not from Corona anyway. Both Vinegar Syndrome and Severin Films had sales recently and they both ended up breaking their personal records for sales from what I understand.

Too much stuff was sold out online so I drove an hour to the "good" Barnes & Noble. Ended up getting Come and See, Vengeance is Mine, The Honeymoon Killers, Haxan, and Cranes Are Flying.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Has anyone checked out the extended cut of Tree of Life? If so, how is it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s extremely good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fenix down posted:

Has anyone checked out the extended cut of Tree of Life? If so, how is it?

It is THE ONLY version, if you ask me. I did an effort post a while back but to keep things short it's paced much better as a 3 hour movie weirdly enough and everything added back in is extremely high quality. Equal weight is given to both parents, there is much more of an arc to the eldest son's behavior shift, and the youngest brother is actually a character now.

The Fox cut just feels extremely weird now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes! I was expecting something dryer and antique (like many transition-era films), but it's entertaining as heck. Universal's 4K restoration is also magnificent. 2/3 of it from nitrate camera negatives and the sound apparently from mint sound discs.

What's fun is that all the musical segments are really entertaining, but there's also these great vaudeville 'blackout' gags in-between. There's also a ton of extras - commentary, deleted scenes (a later re-issue took out footage and added back others not in the 1930 version), four short subjects in HD (including two Oswald Rabbit cartoons), and a good making-of. I'd also check out Lonesome, which is a fun late-silent/early sound hybrid that's a lot like Sunrise in its stylization.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Picked up When We Were Kings today, hotdamn tho I'm gonna have to check back later because that place was cleaned the gently caress out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anyone have a particularly strong opinion on any of these?

First Films of Samuel Fuller
Here Comes Mr Jordan
Down By Law
The Awful Truth
Now, Voyager
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
Holiday
Cluny Brown
The Lady Eve
A Matter of Life and Death

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I really love Down By Law. It's just a great little adventure story that has a great thing. Check Jarmusch's other stuff, like Mystery Train and Night on Earth. They are also a lot of fun, especially Mystery Train.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Here Comes Mr Jordan
Down By Law
The Awful Truth
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
The Lady Eve

Any Preston Sturges is worth owning, and Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve are two out of his three best (the third, Miracle on Morgan's Creek, is ludicrously out of print). They're just clever and fun as hell.

The Awful Truth is similarly amazing, and has all-time great Cary Grant and Irene Dunn performances. I watched it every time it was on TV, and am super glad I own it now.

Down By Law is a lot of fun, and very rewatchable. It's very shaggy dog, but it's one of my favorite Jarmusch films.

Here Comes Mr Jordan is very pleasant and nice, but I wouldn't call it a must-own. I like Claude Rains a lot, so I bought it, and I like it good enough, but no idea why it's in the collection.

Swing Time has one absolutely gobsmacking, out-of-this-world sequence in it (the "Pick Yourself Up" dance scene). It's a top-1 of all time dance scene on film. It's otherwise fun and has great supporting performances beyond Astaire and Rogers, and is probably their best film together, so I'd say yes, but it depends if you want an old-fashioned dance-o-rama.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Any Preston Sturges is worth owning, and Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve are two out of his three best (the third, Miracle on Morgan's Creek, is ludicrously out of print). They're just clever and fun as hell.

My post-PhD writing on the use and abuse of alcohol as a creative mechanism in the work of Orson Welles, John Hughes, and Preston Sturges may likely never see the light of day, but let me be the first to tell you that Sturges is very, very, very good at what he does and you should watch as many of his movies as you can.

And then also read his biographies to find out just how exactly hosed up he was at any given moment while crafting said gems of cinematic history.

Orson and John put him to shame, though.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

postmodifier posted:

My post-PhD writing on the use and abuse of alcohol as a creative mechanism in the work of Orson Welles, John Hughes, and Preston Sturges may likely never see the light of day, but let me be the first to tell you that Preston Sturgis is very, very, very good at what he does and you should watch as many of his movies as you can.

And then also read his biographies to find out just how exactly hosed up he was at any given moment while crafting said gems of cinematic history.

Orson and John put him to shame, though.

WOOF yes. Talk about mommy issues.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Wow, I super fuckin' freudian slipped there, I meant John Huston, not Hughes, although Hughes features heavily later in other my work on the role of pre-legal drinking in films of the 80s and 90s.

My bad, watch em all.

edit: especially Weird Science (whoo)

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I picked up Barry Lyndon because I needed my own copy, and blind bought Late Autumn and The Exterminating Angel.

Watched Late Autumn last night because I’ve been on a mild Ozu tear these past few weeks and this was really special. Seeing a few of his other films to get a sense of what he’s saying goodbye to in this film made it all the more beautiful and heartbreaking. No regrets on this pickup.

Exterminating Angel I’ve always known about and I feel like I’d especially vibe with Buñuel these days but never really explored his work the way I know I should.

Barry Lyndon, well, may just be one of the best films ever.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 12, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Portrait of a Lady on Fire was sold out online :( final tally:

Cold War
The Cremator
The Cameraman
Come and See
Chimes at Midnight
Bamboozled
Tree of Life
Last Temptation of Christ (as I had to cancel my Zavvi order because it took them over a month to say "hey we're waiting on stock, no eta")

Also grabbed the hardcover deluxe edition of Junji Ito's Uzumaki because why not.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now, Voyager
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
Cluny Brown

If you can only get 5, make it these. A Matter of Life and Death is one of the most spectacular Technicolor films I’ve ever seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

First Films of Samuel Fuller
Here Comes Mr Jordan
Down By Law
The Awful Truth
Now, Voyager
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
Holiday
Cluny Brown
The Lady Eve

I've only seen The Baron of Arizona out of the trio of Fuller films, but it's a lot of fun (Vincent Price always good).

The Awful Truth is a fun screwball comedy.

Now, Voyager is an absolute classic. One of Bette Davis' best roles and it's one of my favorite 40s films.

Swing Time is a good Astaire/Rogers dance film with plenty of comedy. Be warned there's a blackface number (though, has some incredible foot work by Astaire).

Sullivan's Travels is another absolute classics. I have a few films to go on Sturges, but it's one of his best. Same with The Lady Eve. (FYI, Kino put out Christmas in July and The Great McGinty, which are also must-sees)

Holiday is one of the best blind-buys I've had. Wonderful, charming light film with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. I hesitate to call it a comedy, but it's worth seeing.

Cluny Brown is another fun Lubitsch film and it's great to see Jennifer Jones in a comedic role. Worth it.

A Matter of Life and Death is one of the greatest British films ever. One of the all-time greats.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think I need to go out and get Touch of Zen.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks to all who recommended Aguirre, the Wrath of God. We watched it last night in a double-feature with Lady Snowblood (bought two years ago and sat collecting dust) and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie make so much out of a lingering shot where nothing is explicitly happening. Really interesting stuff, especially to compare with Snowblood which came out around the same time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Called in to a store that had the Bruce Lee boxset listed as in stock online and they put it on hold for me to pick up tomorrow. If anyone's looking for an easy way to get their hands on it, this was like five minutes worth of work.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I'm debating picking up Heaven's Gate. I know the stories about it being a bloated mess, but I remember reading an essay years ago that praised it. Anyone know if it's worth watching?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'm debating picking up Heaven's Gate. I know the stories about it being a bloated mess, but I remember reading an essay years ago that praised it. Anyone know if it's worth watching?

If you like epic style Westerns that are large in scope and have huge production values, then yea it's a very good movie. It is bloated, but not in a way that I thought really detracted too much from the movie overall.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

If you like epic style Westerns that are large in scope and have huge production values, then yea it's a very good movie. It is bloated, but not in a way that I thought really detracted too much from the movie overall.

Yeah, this is the guy that made the first hour of The Deer Hunter a wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Heaven's Gate is just Shane with a runaway budget.