Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

i picked it back up after not having played a fromsoft game in like a year and died to the first tutorial boss cause i forgot which button was block lol

it's L1, the same button its been in every dtomsoft game released since 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

it's L1, the same button its been in every dtomsoft game released since 2008

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

i picked it back up after not having played a fromsoft game in like a year and died to the first tutorial boss cause i forgot which button was block lol

I can leave bloodborne or dark souls alone for a year and come back fine but I really have to retrain myself with this game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

im hype for ghost of tsushima which looks like it could be primarily a stealth game or at least played that way. but deep down really just wishing for new tenchu game :pray:

I've actually never played a Tenchu game, but I remember playing (and loving) Shinobido: Way of the Ninja, which was by the same dev, right? drat, I miss playing that game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The only Tenchu game I've played was the Wii one which had kinda cool first person swordfighting but is otherwise one of the worst games I've ever played lol

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It seems like Daedalic has come out with "Partisans 1941", which looks like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun in a WWII setting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

It seems like Daedalic has come out with "Partisans 1941", which looks like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun in a WWII setting.

Oh, interesting! So kinda like the classic Commandos games, but... better.
Very interesting - has anyone given it a go yet? I've just bought Disco Elysium and preordered Cyberpunk so I'm not gonna spend more cash just yet, but it's definitely on my radar now, for later in the year.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've been playing Partisans and I'm just beyond the tutorial and the first level. They've definitely done a great job of bringing back the kind of puzzle-based stealth that we saw in Blades of the Shogun. I played a mission where your team of Russians had to blow up a tank that the Nazis were trying to fix and working your way around the complex and quietly taking guys out one by one - or using the tactical screen to get your guys to clear out a bunch of mobs - was really rewarding. Criticisms so far are 1) the Russian scenery is kind of drab compared to BotS and 2) none of the characters really stand out so far. But I've just started and only have three guys so hopefully it will develop in a good way. If you liked Blades of the Shogun gameplay then so far I recommend it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, I wanna buy it now, since it sounds good. I think I'll have to wait until Black Friday though, and hope it gets a slight discount - since I've spent too much on games (both PC and tabletop) lately. It does look good though - I hope it's of a similar length to BotS, and not super-short!

EDIT: Also, I really hope stealth will be feasible in Cyberpunk, when it (eventually) comes out...only time will tell. Could be good fun if it's possible - kinda like with DX:HR I guess, although perhaps less integral to the game.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 3, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, has anyone here played Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts and/or Sniper Elite 4? Since I've been tempted to get a good stealth-able sniper game for a while now.

But yeah, I've never been particularly interested in getting the previous SGW games (I dunno, they just didn't look quite like my cup of tea), however Contracts looks like it might be a real contender.

However, I know Sniper Elite is basically the benchmark sniper game - especially with its bullet cam and great looking physics system. The only problem is, from what I've heard it's basically just a pretty SE2 - and that the AI isn't really much better, so they tend to spot you right away, etc. So I'm not sure which is the better option, here

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 18, 2020

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

SE4 is definitely an improvement over SE2. I think 4 successfully captures what they were trying to do with 2 but with tightened up mechanics and gameplay. Although if I recall correctly, they made it a little harder to sneak up on guys and knife them from behind due a slower crouched walk speed. I might be thinking of 3, though...maybe watch a let's plays or two to get an idea, but the sniper gameplay is excellent and the setting is really good too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played Sniper Elite 3 for a bit and wasn't super impressed. The actual sniping was really well done but everything else about the gameplay was extremely generic 2010s western third person shooter to the point of being actively depressing

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played Sniper Elite 3 for a bit and wasn't super impressed. The actual sniping was really well done but everything else about the gameplay was extremely generic 2010s western third person shooter to the point of being actively depressing

4 is a lot better, it kind of feels like Hitman a little bit, huge open levels with multiple approaches & objectives that you can prioritize as you like for the most part

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, well that sounds promising! How about masking the sounds of your shots, by the way? I recall that in SE2 you could time it so you shoot while something noisy is going on (like a plane flying low overhead, or whatever) so is that kind of thing still a feature they focus on?
Thanks!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Masking sounds is a big focus. I remember there being noisy generators littered throughout the map.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

yeah there are tons of those generators you can use as sound masks, and most maps have an environmental noise cover too (like the planes flying over). It’s not too hard to stay completely undetected through an entire mission if you’re patient, even if you’re using noisy weapons the whole time, and there are some fun tools and gadgets to keep things interesting.

Basically in my opinion, 4 has all the good parts of the series without the weird feeling of general unpleasantness that 3 had the whole time, or the clunkiness of 2. I think you’d like it, Major

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, well that sounds good - I think I'll have to keep an eye on it and pick it up in a week or so, around Black Friday, seeing as it's a bit pricey at the moment. (At least, for the ANZ region anyway)

I just have to find a way to tide myself over in the meantime, I guess! :D Thanks for all the info, all

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

any of yous guys played desperados 3 yet? its from the shogun devs except it was published by thq nordic since they own the desperados ip. it plays a lot like shogun like similar character archetypes except you have guns. and the seduction type ability isn't as strong. AND you get a voodoo mind control priestess as well. also time completely stops on the "shadow" style mode. anyway czech it out its one of my favorites from this year. its on ps4 and xboner as well if you re a masochist and want to use a controller

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I liked the desperados 3 demo a lot but I haven't finished shogun yet and I own it so I'll probably do that first. The first couple missions were incredibly slick though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I havent bought it yet but I liked what I played and I like that "going loud" is a viable option if you plan your approach carefully, haven't really seen one of these games pull that off. I Assume it's leS of an option later on.

I really liked Shogun but couldn't get into Commandos etc as a kid, would the quality of life and tactical pause stuff make it hard to go back to them now?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

yeah you can do a lot of shootouts and more killing if you want to, your main guy has 2 guns + everyone else has a gun and the voodoo lady's skills allow you to kill mooks in new and interesting ways and for every map there was always excess ammo for me. at least on the normal difficulty. some of the secret cheevos are like "kill everyone" and crap too

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been playing more of Partisans 1941 and it's really shaping up. I have a lot more squad members now and they all have unique abilities that can be useful in different ways. There's a bit of an RPG element, in that you can choose skills for your squad now. There's still an emphasis on quicksaving, although it doesn't remind you all the time like Blades of the Shogun. You have three quicksave slots, though, which is handy. The environments are still kind of drab, but that may just be an inescapable consequence of setting your game in rural WWII Russia. The 'stealth-puzzle' gameplay is in full force, though. Every map is loaded with unique stealth brain-teasers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IOI's next game after Hitman 3 will be a James Bond game. Really cool. drat also Hitman 3 comes out in like 2 months

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool imo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The newer Hitman games have a Bond feel to them so that's a good fit imo. Hitman 3 is gonna have an Agatha Christie murder mystery in it, I can't wait

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If they were going to get one movie license it should have been Mr Bean but Bond could be cool too

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The newer Hitman games have a Bond feel to them so that's a good fit imo. Hitman 3 is gonna have an Agatha Christie murder mystery in it, I can't wait

that sounds cool. murder mystereis ftw

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've been playing more of Partisans 1941 and it's really shaping up. I have a lot more squad members now and they all have unique abilities that can be useful in different ways. There's a bit of an RPG element, in that you can choose skills for your squad now. There's still an emphasis on quicksaving, although it doesn't remind you all the time like Blades of the Shogun. You have three quicksave slots, though, which is handy. The environments are still kind of drab, but that may just be an inescapable consequence of setting your game in rural WWII Russia. The 'stealth-puzzle' gameplay is in full force, though. Every map is loaded with unique stealth brain-teasers.

Just finished this one. It was good and fun!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Glad you liked it - I agree that it was fun, and the last two missions especially were big and challenging. I picked up Desperadoes 3 and will try doing a comparison.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'll have to pick it up, sometime soon! Hopefully it gets a reasonable discount at Christmas, since I'm currently having fun with Sniper Elite 4. Definitely a step up from what I remember about SE2.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Not sure if it was a mistake or what but Desperados 3 was briefly $12 and I grabbed it. Pretty early on so far, just got to the wedding mission, but it's super cool. Really does feel like top-down, squad based Hitman with the ability to freely travel through civillian zones and arrange accident kills and stuff. I love all the little mini-puzzles figuring out how to whittle down patrol routes. Hard mode is already pretty challenging, though, and I can imagine it feeling very complicated once I have the full squad of 5 together.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

It kicks rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's really good. Bit easier than Shadow Tactics imo but not in a bad way, just less frustrating bits

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

It kicks rear end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It owns. Isabelle is the coolest new addition that really makes it stand out from Shogun.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Shadow tactics was great, if it’s $12 I will get this immediately

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's on Game Pass too.

Regy Rusty posted:

It owns. Isabelle is the coolest new addition that really makes it stand out from Shogun.
Isabelle kicks rear end, she's probably overpowered but too much fun to care

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Shadow tactics was great, if it’s $12 I will get this immediately

It was only marked down to 80% off for like an hour, that's why I think it was a mistake. You can probably grab it for like $20 on a sale though normally

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's on Game Pass too.
Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I bought it thru gog to support the developers and racist pollacks and not the hiduvata FREAKS that run microsoft