Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Inspired by my love of MMA and the fact that the new UFC game just got announced and will not seemingly feature a "Dana White (aka GM) Mode" I feel this is the time for us Goons to rally together and show 1) how great a mode like that would be and 2) how big brained we are as MMA experts.

That is why we're going to play, together, World of MMA 5. It is essentially FIFA Football Manager for MMA, or if you played Total Extreme Wrestling its literally that but with MMA themed stuff. We are going to play one of the popular mods which is the Pride vs UFC mod (aka Early 2000s MMA)

We will take on the CEO of PRIDE FC because we love Pride FC and we all wish we could re-incarnate it. Also it makes picking up talent a bit easier and also we start with more cash. If this goes well we can always do another LP but with like Shooto or Deep as our organization. Keep in mind, if we do poorly we can get fired by the owner of the organization. We will probably get fired for being dumb.

Here is our CEO, Dana loving White because if we're going to ruin history, we're going to ruin it as Dana.

You may want to know what those stats are in the bottom right. Essentially they affect the contracts we can do to get guys to sign to us, as well as how much it'll cost to get them to fight people we have on our roster.

Now, we're the CEO of PRIDE but before we begin, we need to take a quick look at the competitor organizations (I'm not gonna do a full roster post unless asked). Also keep in mind organizations like WEC, Jewels etc. can sprout during our gameplay.

Pride FC is ranked #1 at the start, we should probably work on keeping that position.

Now that we are set up as the CEO of Pride, let's look at our rankings really quickly. These are not all the fighters but these are the ones under exclusive contract with us. We can move people around to different divisions (within reason) or pick them up, so if you want to find out if someone is available post their name and I can look in game.

Heavyweight (206-600lbs)
We have a very robust HW division and also our title is vacant! we should probably figure out what to do with that.

Middleweight (184-205lbs)
Middleweight is also pretty good looking and we can definitely have some fun with the matchups. Our belt is also vacant here.

We have 2 more divisions with Welterweight (162-183lbs) and Lightweight (135-161lbs) but there is no one in them, let alone a belt (we can make a belt if we want).

:frogsiren: Our first vote/decision, what do we do with those vacant belts? :frogsiren:

A) Have the top two ranked opponents fight for them
B) Run an 8 man tournament (top 8 ranked) to determine the champion

https://www.strawpoll.me/20574942

We'll come back to the Welterweight & Lightweight belts in a bit, don't worry.

Hopefully you guys enjoy this journey to ruin MMA history.

Also if we end up making a fight that actually happened in this game and you can find the link to a video of it, feel free to share it. It can help newer MMA pals learn some MMA history along the way.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how many times are we allowed to spam the thread with PRIDE NEVER DIE before we eat a sixer?

edit: also that profile photo of dana is insanely flattering lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No Cro Cop or Mark Hunt? I guess Hunt didn't get into MMA until 2004 but Cro Cop was back in 2001 I think?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weird, wasn't RINGS a worked promotion?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JOHN CENA posted:

weird, wasn't RINGS a worked promotion?

yes and no

Fedor got a gift decision over Ricardo Arona in RINGS

so it was probably more fixed than worked

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I feel like it would not be true to the Pride legacy if we decided the belts with anything other than idiot tournaments, and I secretly hope Giant Ochiai wins the heavyweight title.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JFYI We can also make tournament belts

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

No Cro Cop or Mark Hunt? I guess Hunt didn't get into MMA until 2004 but Cro Cop was back in 2001 I think?

I'll check where Cro Cop is when I get home. Pretty sure he is available at the start of the year (2000)

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what? You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?

Do you think this beautiful man can surpass his real record of 3-2-2? I like to believe he's a holdover from the base wrestling game but there's also no way a mod maker would forget to include this MMA legend.

Also please tell me Norifumi Yamamoto can/will somehow make an appearance in this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you ever put a card together where someone defends their belt you aren't simulating PRIDE.

which names should mekchu go after

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Zomblified posted:

Do you think this beautiful man can surpass his real record of 3-2-2? I like to believe he's a holdover from the base wrestling game but there's also no way a mod maker would forget to include this MMA legend.

Also please tell me Norifumi Yamamoto can/will somehow make an appearance in this.

Researching that dude to make him for my Fire Pro PRIDE pack was one of the most fun/depressing bits of the whole thing.

edit: actually, come to think of it

Mekchu posted:

Also if we end up making a fight that actually happened in this game and you can find the link to a video of it, feel free to share it. It can help newer MMA pals learn some MMA history along the way.

As part of that big dumb project I wrote bios for most of the early/obscure PRIDE folks, I could drag those out as fighters come up if you want/if anyone wants to read them.

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 13, 2020

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is it possible to run one day tournaments? this modern "one fight a day" rule is nonsense

let them bang, man

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

JOHN CENA posted:

if you ever put a card together where someone defends their belt you aren't simulating PRIDE.

which names should mekchu go after

I don't know who's available in this mod, but PRIDE definitely needs to bolster the heavyweight division first and foremost

So gotta pick up both Rei Zulu and Zuluzinho, and also the mightiest warrior, the Super Hluk, Minowaman

Also, book Renzo to get his rear end beat as much as possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

book Renzo to get his rear end beat as much as possible.

:hai:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

as long as we pick up saku

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

We as a company must go all in on Don Frye

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

is it possible to run one day tournaments? this modern "one fight a day" rule is nonsense

let them bang, man

Yes

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JOHN CENA posted:

as long as we pick up saku

Saku is in our roster but on hiatus so we cant book him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

I don't know who's available in this mod, but PRIDE definitely needs to bolster the heavyweight division first and foremost

So gotta pick up both Rei Zulu and Zuluzinho, and also the mightiest warrior, the Super Hluk, Minowaman

I'll post the full roster of fighters for our Org and those that are in the world at some point today or tomorrow

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You need to do a Grand Prix to Crown the HW Champion. And the field needs to be Takada and 7 cans bad enough Takada can beat them.

Also do Wandy vs Renzo and change the rules so Renzo can't so any grappling and just gets axe murdered.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

1. All vacant titles must be decided by tournaments.
2. Hire Joachim Hansen.
3. Change Allan Goes' name to Alan "Anything" Goes. Seriously, that poo poo writes itself.

LobsterMobster posted:

Renzo vs Cro Cop, make it happen!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I demand we sign Bob Sapp.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I demand we sign Bob Sapp.

You only sign Sapp once Takada is crowned champ to set up that huge title fight at the Dome.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JFYI Cro Cop isnt available to hire just yet. He will show up later.

Same with Bob Sapp.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Where's Igor and can we hire him?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Freudian slippers posted:

Where's Igor and can we hire him?

Ring the church bells, Igor's comin!

Instead of Gomi, we must build our smallweight division around Genki Sudo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is our full roster by weight division. If there is an * it means they are a fighter in a different division that can move to that division.

Heavyweight (206-600 lbs)

Alexander Otsuka
Bobby Southworth
Denis Sobolev
Don Frye
Gary Goodrige
Gilbert Yvel
Heath Herring
Igor Vovchanchyn
Kazunari Murakami
Kazuyuki Fujita
Ken Shamrock
Mario Sperry
Mark Coleman
Mark Kerr
Masaaki Satake
Mike Burke
Naoya Ogawa
Nobuhiko Takada
Tadao Yasuda
Takayuki Okada
Tom Erikson
Tra Telligman
Vitor Belfort
Yoshiaki Yatsu
Yoshihiro Takayama

Akira Shoji*
Allan Goes*
Dan Henderson*
Ebenezer FOntes Braga*
Enson Inoue*
Guy Mezger*
Kazushi Sakuraba*
Wanderlei Silva

Middleweight (184-205 lbs)

Akira Shoji
Alex Stiebling
Allan Goes
Daijiro Matsui
Dan Henderson
Ebenezer Fontes Braga
Egan Inoue
Enson Inoue
Guy Mezger
Kazushi Sakuraba
Renzo Gracie
Ryan Gracie
Shannon Ritch
Wanderlei Silva

Alexander Otsuka*
Bobby Southworth*
Denis Sobolev*
Gilbert Yvel*
Igor Vovchanchyn*
Ken Shamrock*
Mark Coleman*
Murilo Rua*
Nobuhiko Takada*
Vitor Belfort*

Welterweight (162-183 lbs)

Murilo Rua

Alex Stiebling*
Daijiro Matsui*
Dan Henderson*
Egan Inoue*
Renzo Gracie*
Ryan Gracie*
Shannon Ritch*

Lightweight (135-161 lbs)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally, I feel like we can do away with the Lightweights and stick with 3 divisions (WW to HW).

One major issue is the massive weight differences will cause some fights to not happen so I will need to make sure to keep an eye on that sort of thing. Anyway, I've gone ahead and set up our first event for the end middle of February 2001 with our two one-night tournaments. Location is set to Tohoku for now but we can literally travel anywhere we want. (It's divided up by US States and then regions for certain areas of the world aside from Japan and Canada who aldo get specific regions broken down for them).

:siren: :siren: :siren: Unfortunately for our Middleweight tournament, a couple of the top 8 guys are not feeling confident and are saying a 1 night only tournament is too much of a step up in competition for them. We could look at doing a non-one night tournament instead if we want.

Also we should probably take a look at our organizations rules

Also we have drug testing settings to look at as well. Sadly we can't do "no drug testing" and so we're stuck with just "in-house" but if we set it to 1% quality testing, we can save a few hundred bucks per fighter.

Certain regions do not have MMA regulated and therefore don't require drug testing....like in Tohoku!

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 13, 2020

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

We as a company must go all in on Don Frye

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

If we reduce the drug testing quality to 0, we might come closer to historical accuracy.

Zomblified
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what? You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?

Freudian slippers posted:

If we reduce the drug testing quality to 0, we might come closer to historical accuracy.

No drug testing until 2004/Mark Hunt comes along. We can rewrite history and finally give Mark Hunt the timeline he deserves.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

when can we sign Randleman

i demand the return of Chute Boxe vs Hammer House

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Putting the 2 semi-finals immediately before the final? Oof...

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Really gonna set Don Frye up to have his eyes gouged out in a one night tournament after the thread consensus is clearly that we need to push Frye all the way to capture American audiences. Tomfoolery. Absolutely shameful.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
im going to go against Don Frye and say we go all in on Tra Telligman, the One P(ec)unch Man

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
excited to see if fujita will defeat ken again by letting ken kick his rear end until he felt a heart attack coming and gave up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Can we have a year-long tournament that has to be re-booked to the point that 3/4 of the semi-finalists weren't on the initial bracket?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Once you have established champions, you should run your 8-man tournaments in the modern bellator style where the champ is in the bracket and thee title can change hands.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Once you have established champions, you should run your 8-man tournaments in the modern bellator style where the champ is in the bracket and thee title can change hands.

counterpoint: this is Pride, where titles are only defended whenever the holder and Sakakibara drat well feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dsriggs posted:

Putting the 2 semi-finals immediately before the final? Oof...

Thats just temporary until i fill out the rest of the card.