Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hedrigall posted:

I'm late but a) thanks for these! and b) is there any resource breaking down what each of the subgenres mean

All i really know is Gunship (love em) and I'm not super into instrumental synthwave I've tried. Gotta have singing and lyrics. I might give The Midnight a try.

If you like Gunship, Midnight and FM-84 will be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

All i really know is Gunship (love em) and I'm not super into instrumental synthwave I've tried. Gotta have singing and lyrics. I might give The Midnight a try.

Maybe check out Timecop1983.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Awesome, thanks for the recs and info everyone :3

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm listening to the album Endless Summer by Midnight and yep, :flashfap:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Midnight slaps. Hearing the sax go off in Crystalline for the first time was a revelatory experience.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbpNivEj0g

jessie frye dropped another single from her upcoming album. it slaps so hard

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 21, 2020

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeCPQBRpiHA

new midnight single. it's a slow jam, so definitely a different feel from most of their stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
new powerglove/pylot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuR7GCboF_E

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Awesome, thanks for the recs and info everyone :3

Check out Kavinsky, too! "Nightcall" is a classic at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeCPQBRpiHA

new midnight single. it's a slow jam, so definitely a different feel from most of their stuff.

Definitely different but... gotta say, it's getting me right in the brain space dedicated to happy feelings. I can also completely see it in some daffy 80s flick about the shy kid winning over the prom queen or some such silliness. This album looks to be a real standout - I'm absolutely loving every single track released so far.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ totally agree. it didn't immediately strike me as a killer track, but after a few (dozen) more listens i am definitely vibing on it.

i can see them playing this in the middle of a live set as sort of a breather in between more pumped up jams and something to get the whole crowd singing HOLD HER HAAAAAAAAAAAND with some laser lights going. i can't loving wait for shows to be a thing again

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I saw some chat about Kids earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in in defense of it. Explorers is by far my favorite track by The Midnight, I love it SO much. Any album with that song on it can't be all bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Superrodan posted:

I saw some chat about Kids earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in in defense of it. Explorers is by far my favorite track by The Midnight, I love it SO much. Any album with that song on it can't be all bad.

It's a great EP mistakenly marketed as a full album.

Lost boy, explorers, America 2, Wave, and the Kids reprise are all stellar midnight songs. America 2 was especially good in concert. I don't think fans dislike Kids, it just would have left a better impression if there wasn't so much filler.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I didn't hate Kids, it just def felt like a B side album more than anything to me

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Youth, Arcade Dreams, and Saturday Mornings are all not songs and just filler poo poo taking up around 8 minutes of the album's runtime.

Kids (Reprise) is 6 minutes of rehashed noise from Kids (Prelude) the actual song.

wish they woulda just cut all that poo poo out, chopping the runtime in half, and just released it on a 7"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Times are tough and I need to sell some of my synthwave vinyl I collected from like 2017-2018.

PM me and I'll give you my discogs profile to look through my poo poo. I'd obviously rather sell in bulk to goons than individually ship/sell on ebay, even with media mail being reasonable compared to like shipping used board games or something where the postage becomes insane.

I also have like way too many fukken Mondo / video game vinyl releases from like 2017-2019 as well that I don't mind finding new homes. This is cuz I'm in the core demo of a white nerd in their late thirties that USED to have a good playing job to blow money on poo poo like this.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

buckle up boys and girls it's new Midnight album day

go find it wherever you like to listen to music and shake your booties

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Might wait for my vinyl to come in, I hope it ships today

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Just listened to their remix of Tyler's solo Brooklyn. Fantastic slow jam.

Hyped for the rest.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
A mumble rap track lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Ecco cover is great.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ok so actually this album is not so great. so many tracks are boring as gently caress or straight up bad.

fire in the sky has a seriously cool hook but the verses are DOA

6.5 or 7 out of 10

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

for an *actual* banger of a retro wave album that also came out today, check out Jessie Frye's latest. she fuckin rules hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-U1uMNrt1M

https://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/kiss-me-in-the-rain

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah I'm hearing some mixed reviews...maybe I won't pre-order albums anymore lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a good album. Not their greatest, but there's more good songs and less filler than Kids. I really like Helvetica and The Search For Ecco.

I haven't listened to it on headphones yet. I think some of the weaker tracks might hit better when I'm in a sulkier mood.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
America Online is like an order of magnitude a better song than anything else they've put out :colbert:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Uh what? It's not in the top three on that album.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bruh it's not even their best song with America in the title

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I only enjoyed like 4 songs from this album lol

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Bruh it's the only song worth listening to.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really like America Online but I haven't had. chance to hear the whole album yet

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

i like the whole album and think that it's good, actually :shobon:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's a solid B from me. It's like 1/3 gently caress yeah, 1/3 pretty good, and 1/3 skip.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know it’s Midnight day but want to voice my love for that Jessie Frye album it’s a great replacement for Nina’s mildly disappointing sophomore release.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

really can't express enough how much Jessie Frye's album is top notch, even if a good chunk of songs have been floating around as singles for a while

it also happens to be a great replacement for an extremely underwhelming Midnight release ugh

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Jessie rules, and it's so great to have a complete album of great vocal tracks. The only thing missing from Kiss Me in the Rain would have been a collaboration with Col Bennett, but he's not doing anything until he goes back to Scotland it seems. She's turning out to be a real star in the genre.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Unpopular opinion: I dont like the new Jessie tracks I've heard (the ones with music videos)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basticle posted:

Unpopular opinion: I dont like the new Jessie tracks I've heard (the ones with music videos)

Oddly, I didn’t either. I think they work far better in the context of the album.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my copy of Monsters and it looks like it might be a widespread bad pressing..my needle moves side to side and wants to skate out, checked discogs and there was already two comments of similar..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Photex posted:

.my needle moves side to side and wants to skate out,

sounds pretty :krad: my dude