Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

What are some good Royal Rumbles from 2000-2015? I generally know who won but not which year so if its a good result even better

2008 is the Greatest Royal Rumble (TM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

2007 is also excellent iirc

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If you don’t mind watching Benoit then give 2004 a look too.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

jesus WEP posted:

2007 is also excellent iirc

You tricked me :argh: at least the end was a surprise since I didn't think Taker ever won a rumble

Halfway thru 08 and it's much better

e: hell yeah 08 loving ruled - I popped off for Cena at 30. The crowd was nuts for Cena

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 13, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hirez posted:

You tricked me :argh: at least the end was a surprise since I didn't think Taker ever won a rumble

Halfway thru 08 and it's much better

e: hell yeah 08 loving ruled - I popped off for Cena at 30. The crowd was nuts for Cena
wait what? you didn't like 07? I haven't watched in a long time but I remember it being really good

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

wait what? you didn't like 07? I haven't watched in a long time but I remember it being really good

It definitely has the best final two of any Rumble I can remember.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Price Check posted:

It definitely has the best final two of any Rumble I can remember.

That carrying over to the first two entrants of 2008 is one of the cooler booking moves the company has done.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

jesus WEP posted:

It didn't really get going until the end imo with Rated RKO doing some cleaning. There weren't really any good spots - elimination or otherwise even the last one was pretty weak. Plus it didn't help having Lawler/JBL/Cole on commentary vs Tazz and whoever else

I'm probably just going to finish the rest off since they're a quick watch.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hirez posted:

It didn't really get going until the end imo with Rated RKO doing some cleaning. There weren't really any good spots - elimination or otherwise even the last one was pretty weak. Plus it didn't help having Lawler/JBL/Cole on commentary vs Tazz and whoever else

I'm probably just going to finish the rest off since they're a quick watch.

For the remaining ones:

2009: Fairly decent.
2010: Excellent.
2011: Has its moments, but it really falls apart at the end.
2012: Garbage.
2013: Forgettable and average.
2014: Actually pretty good despite all the controversy.
2015: The absolute worst Royal Rumble, which makes it a must-watch.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
What are some examples of matches where the participants have heavily contrasting styles that ended up working really well? Singles/Tags seem like they'd be the most likely for such an occurrence, but anything that fits is fine with me.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

FakePoet posted:

What are some examples of matches where the participants have heavily contrasting styles that ended up working really well? Singles/Tags seem like they'd be the most likely for such an occurrence, but anything that fits is fine with me.

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Tomohiro Ishii

Zack's a skinny submission boy and Tom is a fire hydrant shaped man that lives for lariats, elbows and headbutts.

Their matches at Wrestle Kingdom last year and G1 2018 were both great.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flair/Luger had good matches

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SG Bamboo posted:

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Tomohiro Ishii

Zack's a skinny submission boy and Tom is a fire hydrant shaped man that lives for lariats, elbows and headbutts.

Their matches at Wrestle Kingdom last year and G1 2018 were both great.

Using Ishii is borderline cheating because he's literally incapable of having a bad match. But him against anyone with a more flippy style usually ends up being super cool. Ishii vs Kenny Omega from the 2018 G1 or Hiromu vs Ishii from this years New Japan Cup come to mind.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FakePoet posted:

Another Zack Sabre Jr match but ZSJ vs Bad Luck Fale from last year’s G1 was an excellent example of this. Lumbering giant vs rail-thin submission boy. Match was a genuine thrill ride and included ZSJ climbing around Fale like the latter was one of the colossi from Shadow of the Colossus or some poo poo

Edit: Many of ZSJ’s matches are good examples of this is since 1) there are VERY few wrestler out there who go so full-on with the grapplefucking stuff so his style almost always contrasts heavily with his opponents’, and also 2) he’s really freaking good at wrestling

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 14, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

FakePoet posted:

Orange Cassidy vs PAC from Revolution 2020. Cassidy is generally laid back to the point of being asleep and wrestles a generally comedic style. PAC is a seething poison goblin who drips intensity and has never in his entire life found anything amusing. They had an absolute barn burner of a match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FakePoet posted:

There was a really good Undertaker vs. Festus match back in the day. Usually, Undertaker is played as dominant, partially due to his ability to intimidate anyone he's up against, but comedy midcard tag team wrestler Festus had a gimmick that made him immune to all of that. So it became wily veteran Undertaker fending against a large, wild man who was too crazed to be scared.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People always talk about the worst King of the Ring winners, but what about the Royal Rumble? Is there a winner that did less than Nakamura a few years ago?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

People always talk about the worst King of the Ring winners, but what about the Royal Rumble? Is there a winner that did less than Nakamura a few years ago?

Jim Duggan and Big John Studd

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Austin didn't even have a title match at Mania in 97

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I Before E posted:

Austin didn't even have a title match at Mania in 97

Was there an explanation for that? I mean, he ended up in the match with Bret so that worked out fine. But by that point “Royal Rumble gets title shot at Wrestlemania” was a thing for a few years.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Vince, Del Rio, Sheamus, and then pretty much every winner between 2014 and 2019 would be good candidates for worst Royal Rumble winner too. 2014 and 2015 are only famous for how much the crowd poo poo on the winners, and I honestly can't remember a thing about the others. Asuka and Becky might be the exceptions to that grouping, but they botched Asuka's subsequent run and it seems like people got tired of Becky pretty quickly (here at least). People might already include Charlotte as well?

Tbh, Hogan's two wins are probably down there too. Winning the Royal Rumble didn't actually mean anything until 1992, so 1990 and 1991 were just opportunities for Hogan to overcome his monster of the week. Perfect should have at least won the first one, I don't care how much it would've flown in the face of WWF's booking philosophy or business sense at the time!

Whilst Austin didn't even get a title match for winning 1997, at least he was entertaining in it and it developed the Bret feud further. That's way more than I can say about most of the recent ones.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Was there an explanation for that? I mean, he ended up in the match with Bret so that worked out fine. But by that point “Royal Rumble gets title shot at Wrestlemania” was a thing for a few years.
the title picture between Rumble and Mania was an absolute clusterfuck

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

the title picture between Rumble and Mania was an absolute clusterfuck

Anyone want to do a breakdown? Gavok?

And yeah, I wasn't counting Vince for obvious reasons, and felt Studd and Duggan were at the very beginning when it was just a novelty. But the others certainly make sense.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

2018 was a good rumble and nakamura was the right winner. him never winning the title was dumb and the dick kicking was deservedly divisive, but he had months of world title level time because of it, so putting him in the worst list all together is not fitting imo.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Anyone want to do a breakdown? Gavok?

01/19/1997 - Shawn won the title from Sid at Royal Rumble

02/13/1997 - Shawn "lost his smile" and vacated the title on RAW because he didn't want to drop the title to Bret at Mania

02/16/1997 - Bret won the vacant title in a 4-way match at In Your House: Final Four against Austin, Vader and Undertaker

02/17/1997 - Sid won the title from Bret on RAW

03/23/1997 - Undertaker defeated Sid for the title at WrestleMania 13

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Procrastinator posted:

2018 was a good rumble and nakamura was the right winner. him never winning the title was dumb and the dick kicking was deservedly divisive, but he had months of world title level time because of it, so putting him in the worst list all together is not fitting imo.

I think Nakamura was definitely a better winner than all of those around him, it's just that what happened next was very disappointing. Similar to Asuka really, but yeah, maybe I shouldn't have grouped him in with the others.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Objectively the dog worst Rumble was 1999, the one where they didn't even show most of it and kept cutting to the Vince/Austin fight instead

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also Austin didn't get the title shot in '97 because he'd been eliminated behind the refs back, then "won" after sneaking back on

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The image from the '99 Rumble of the Ministry of Darkness sticking Mabel into the back of the hearse, and then Austin appearing in the background of the same shot in an ambulance he apparently commandeered is what always comes to mind for me first when I think of the Attitude Era. Note that all of this took place during the match itself.

The one thing I do remember enjoying from that Rumble is Lawler going into full sycophant mode whenever Vince was with them on commentary. There were exchanges like:

Lawler: "Mr McMahon, I have half a mind to get in there right now and eliminate Austin myself!"
Cole: "Why don't you then, King?"
Lawler, seeing that Austin and D'Lo are fighting: "... D'Lo's gonna do it."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks everyone.

And yeah, the ‘99 Rumble was the first PPV I had watched after stopping around Wrestlemania XI, so it was a bit of a whiplash when the first two entrants were Vince and Austin who then spent the majority of the match not actually in the ring. I also found the interviews at the beginning really funny because everyone had gotten facial piercings to be cool in an industry where you regularly get punched in the face.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I go back and forth on whether the '98 Survivor Series or the '99 Rumble is peak Russo in WWF.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bartok posted:

I go back and forth on whether the '98 Survivor Series or the '99 Rumble is peak Russo in WWF.

WM15

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t XV where Road Dogg and Billy Gunn traded places for their respective title matches for no reason other than Russo wanted a last minute swerve?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isn’t XV where Road Dogg and Billy Gunn traded places for their respective title matches for no reason other than Russo wanted a last minute swerve?

Yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
While we’re on Wrestlemania XV, I’m thinking about the Austin/Rock title match, and was there just a suspension of the rules for main events at the time? It seemed like normal matches that were never announced as No DQ or No Countout or anything would almost immediately go outside and over the barricade so they could brawl all over the arena with no repercussions.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Re WM XV I remember there being 2-3 matches with back-to-back face/heel turns, and of course Bossman being hanged from the cage for some reason (I believe he was back in time for Raw the next day?). The main event is a bit of fun, but that's entirely on the strength and popularity of the characters involved and not at all down to them having a great match... so I guess in that respect it may well be the WWF peak Russo show.

Either way, XV is usually down there with II, IV, IX, XI, XXVI and 32 in countdowns of the best and worst Manias. There are probably other more recent ones I'm forgetting too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People usually include Wrestlemania 16 (2000!) because there were no singles matches and the main event was diluted and convoluted from what it clearly should have been. Oh, plus all four loving McMahons.

Going back to the Royal Rumble, 2015 should have been the clear sign that Vince is not only completely out of touch, but also actively hates the fans and wants to gently caress with them. They had Big Show and Kane slowly pick up everyone the crowd wanted to see win after Bryan was eliminated and effortlessly throw them out. Ambrose, Bray, Ziggler, and Ryback, from what I remember.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 14, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

bartok posted:

What happened at the '98 Survivor series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maigius posted:

What happened at the '98 Survivor series?

That was the Deadly Game tournament for the vacant title; the title had been vacated by Vince following the Judgment Day PPV. The storyline going in was that the McMahons were goosing it for Mankind and doing everything to waylay The Rock; in the semifinal match between Mankind and Austin, Shane was the special guest referee. Austin had Mankind pinned cleanly but Shane stopped the count at two and flipped off Austin, allowing Mankind to get the win.

In the finals match between Rock and Mankind, Rock put Mankind into a sharpshooter and Vince called for the bell (in the first of what would be many rehashes of the Montreal Screwjob over the years).